FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Iop teh dumbz!

By Kreso1 September 28, 2013, 14:25:55

Hey everyone. I was just curious which one of these words is the grammatically correct one ; ''a Iop'' OR ''an Iop''. If someone is an expert in this field, please respond. Thanks in advance.

0 0
Reactions 22
Score : 366

I find it funny cuz an Iop is asking this.

2 0
Score : 13183

Considering the pronunciation of "Iop" is "Yop," I would make an educated guess that the correct way to write this would be "a Iop."

1 0
Score : 7460

It should be "an iop". It's always "an" instead of "a" if the word following begins with a vowel. I'm not sure if Y counts in this case (so whether it should be "an" or "a"), but even if it doesn't it's down to spelling rather than pronunciation.

You can say "a yop" but it should be written "an iop"

I think... feel free to correct me, anyone who got above a B in English GCSE heh.

0 0

No, it should be written as it would be spoken, the rule of using "a" vs "an" based on whether or not it precedes a consonant sound or not does not change when moving to type.

0 0
Score : 43
xzaosllama3|2013-09-28 14:53:25
It should be "an iop". It's always "an" instead of "a" if the word following begins with a vowel. I'm not sure if Y counts in this case (so whether it should be "an" or "a"), but even if it doesn't it's down to spelling rather than pronunciation.

You can say "a yop" but it should be written "an iop"

I think... feel free to correct me, anyone who got above a B in English GCSE heh.
That might be right, but I'm pretty sure you say "a university", so I guess "a Iop" is the correct form. I don't really know how I should explain his, since my first language is not English.
0 0
Score : 492

Thank you for responding! I knew it was ''a Iop'' , also this Fapster dude says differently. All I can say is that I won! (lol) Iopz ftw

0 0
Score : 111

Hello,

Its down to how its pronounced rather than how its spelled, thats right. However, "an" IOP is the correct way to write it. The pun might be after "YOP" but it doesn't matter, even though I-O-P is a reference to YOP it doesn't mean you have to pronounce as if you are pronouncing YOP. If that was the case then we would of pronounced Sram as Mars, because thats the reference of the word, obviously we don't do that. So all in all, I would say, "AN I-O-P is a good example of how stupid travelers can get." tongue 

0 0
Score : 624

It's a Iop. Just watch the Wakfu animated series where Iop is pronounced Yop. It's as simple as that smile.

0 0

So we all agree that if its pronounced eye-iop then you put an "an" but if its pronounced y-op you put an "a"? We will just need official confirmation then to settle this.

0 0
Score : 7460

I say "eye-op" lol. And so "an eye-op" sounds right, "a eye-op" just sounds weird.

But that said, I pronounce many of the classes oddly. I called "eniripsas" (or however you spell it) "en-sir-pias" for years XD
In fact I still do, cos it's easier :3

Also, just realised that people say "a university" rather than an... that's kinda odd.

0 0

As you said earlier, its about the pronunciation, and "university" is pronounced "yuniversity" thats why it precedes with an "a". happy
If the sound is a vowel then you put "an", if the sound is a constant then you put "a".

0 0
Score : 1222

I always thought it was pronounced "Yop" or "Iop" depending on what language you speak. I think in Spanish it is spelled out Yopuka, and short is Yop and I pronounce it the way it is spelled, but my whole Dofus life I pronounced it the way it was spelled out "Iop" since I play in English.

So I think it would get an "an" in front of "Iop".

0 0
Score : 934

It's an iop. Don't have to know why. It just is. The English language is like that. I guess it's to stop Johnny foreigner from pretending to be English:-)

0 -1
Score : 1443

Okay....going to settle this once and for all. English isn't spoken from where I come from so it's a foreign language for me, but still...this is so simple, that I don't even understand, why the thread was made.
The example given before : "A University" Is said just because it sounds okay. "An" is used when "A" sounds very wrong and hard to pronounce. "A Iop" has 3 vowels in a row. Obviously "An" is the correct form. Another example...we say : "An Ecaflip" not "A Ecaflip", because "An Ecaflip" is much easier to pronounce. ^^ I hope it's clear now.

0 0
Score : 43
Bentriks12|2013-09-30 00:22:12
Okay....going to settle this once and for all. English isn't spoken from where I come from so it's a foreign language for me, but still...this is so simple, that I don't even understand, why the thread was made.
The example given before : "A University" Is said just because it sounds okay. "An" is used when "A" sounds very wrong and hard to pronounce. "A Iop" has 3 vowels in a row. Obviously "An" is the correct form. Another example...we say : "An Ecaflip" not "A Ecaflip", because "An Ecaflip" is much easier to pronounce. ^^ I hope it's clear now.

"Using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word. So...
- a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dog
- an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphan
- a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicycle"
0 0
AngelofSkyyrth|2013-09-30 00:27:57
Bentriks12|2013-09-30 00:22:12

"Using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word. So...
- a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dog
- an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphan
- a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicycle"
Thank you for better explaining what I was saying.

Now, following this and the fact that the correct pronunciation of "iop" is "yop", the correct way to type or speak this would be "a Iop"
0 0
Score : 39
TheDudesays|2013-09-29 15:41:24
It's an iop. Don't have to know why. It just is. The English language is like that. I guess it's to stop Johnny foreigner from pretending to be English:-)
I like this explanation. +1

Also I found that in the 2.8 devblog the article uses "an Iop"

Click here
0 0
Score : 492

I still know nothing now..lol, some of you keep saying it's ''a'' and some of you keep saying it's ''an''. Also, I still think the correct way to type and/or speak it is ''a Iop''. By the way Leloversfurrylover, I found that in the 2.8 devblog the article uses BOTH ''a'' AND ''an'' ! ( what..) Example: '' This spell makes it possible for a Iop to significantly increase their firepower for a single turn, with the downside of a reduction in ability for the next turn.'' AND '' In combat, an Iop and its opponents should take into account these phases if they want to play effectively!'' ..Like really xD, what now? I'm confused biggrin 

0 0
Score : 1047

The problem is that the correct pronunciation is not stated anywhere (an eye-yop vs. a yop). You can only rely on what is used in official publications. For example, this page also refers to "a Iop warrior" in the classes description, so "yop" seems to be the official pronunciation.

However, since this is only fictional stuff, nothing stops you from choosing the pronunciation you like best, so you may use both "a yop" or "an eye-yop" by your own decision.

0 0
Respond to this thread