FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Iops need to be more tactical/fun to play

By StylesWL - SUBSCRIBER - September 12, 2009, 22:17:52

I am a high level iop with end game gear and 3 dofuses, so I am pretty familiar with the best pvp an iop can be involved in. Iops are not an over powered or underpowered class in pvp per say. They are certainly very strong in group fights where they have support.

But in 1vs1 pvp they are not easy to pvp with unless you have skill and considerably good gear. Iops, irregardless of the element type are very boring to play. They lack healing,shield, ap reduceing spells, invisibility, any summons, just about any non direct damage, or damage buffing spell.

The most interesting spell we have is cut, but for 3 ap, we are usually better off just trying to do more damage. Iops have many underused or useless spells.

They say iops are overpowered because of wrath, but wrath is very predictable now, and very easy to avoid, and with proper resists and full 3k hp or more, most iops cannot one hit kill any class with wrath.

To use wrath in pvp is very risky, usually by the time you can move in for the kill you are almost down to your last hp, to use wrath, and then not even fully kill the other person makes the spell almost useless.

I am not saying that the spell should do more damage, I am saying the methodology in, "survive until I can ohk them, or else I lose" is boring, underpowered, and actually very unreliable.

It is true that sword of iop can do a great deal of damage, but, with the appropriate resists, reflects, heals, range reduction, summons, ap reduction, many many other classes can lower my damage output with that one spell significantly enough to force me to go to close combat if i want to win, because their ranged damage can kill me substantially quicker even with my 32xx hp.

Iops really need some sort of another way to win besides relying on wrath, and they really need more strategical spells other than cut.

0 0
Reactions 23
Score : 3419

oh mah god, u called wrath NOT op, do u have any idea what you have just done o.o

quick edit the topic before its too late

0 0
Score : 2597

Wait, you just said iops are not underpowered in PvP, yet you want a buff? Am I missing something here?

0 0
Score : 11255

I am all for a few spells being removed and some new ones added to the Iop class. You're very right to say they're "boring" to play. They lack the proper spells to build any real tactics. I suppose however that's what is to be expected from the damage dealing class.

0 0
Score : 7810

well from what I understand some of the spells will be getting a change. Last I remeber Lichen was talking about adding a +mp spell, so something will be getting removed. Its possible other changes will be made as well. Dunno. Have to agree with Alyss-Sin though, iop does basicaly come down to a hack-n-slash damage dealing class.

0 0
Score : 3781

Vitality is a pseudo healing spell. Sword of Judgment has a healing component.

Intimidation and Blow are battlefield manipulation spells.

Jump is a mobility spell.

Power, Compulsion, Increase, Mutilation, Bravery Guide and Divine Sword are all damage buffing spells, so I don't see where you get that they don't exist.

There is a damage spell path for all elements but chance.

Iop can also reduce MP, give -crits, and maximize rolls on a target.

There are a plethora of things an Iop can do other than being a one-trick pony Wrath machine.

0 0
Score : 2960
SilentRevenge|2009-09-13 03:20:00
Last I remeber Lichen was talking about adding a +mp spell, so something will be getting removed.

Correct and Jump given a cooldown.

Wrath has become a GvG spell. It's the most interesting to fight against so I'd keep it.

The problem is that Iops are inherently a boring class. Damage and buffing is all they're about.

I think new Wrath-style spells are the way to go. Buff some of the attack spells but give them a cooldown.
0 0
ChoKuRei|2009-09-12 20:54:00
Correct and Jump given a cooldown.

Wrath has become a GvG spell. It's the most interesting to fight against so I'd keep it.

The problem is that Iops are inherently a boring class. Damage and buffing is all they're about.

I think new Wrath-style spells are the way to go. Buff some of the attack spells but give them a cooldown.

Iop are about a lot of things. People that only view them in terms of damage and damage buffing aren't looking hard enough.
0 0

You've gotta admit though compared to a build like say mine for example they're just lacking in variety.

0 0
Score : 2960
KA-Dofus|2009-09-13 03:59:00
Iop are about a lot of things. People that only view them in terms of damage and damage buffing aren't looking hard enough.

OK, lemme rephrase it.

Iops can do more than damage. But their RP role is damagers & too thick to do anything else. Can we give Iops AP rape? Range manipulation? Even Cut feels a bit wrong to me.

So there's a choice - stick to the RP role or change it. I'd suggest the former.
0 0
ChoKuRei|2009-09-13 13:01:00
OK, lemme rephrase it.

Iops can do more than damage. But their RP role is damagers & too thick to do anything else. Can we give Iops AP rape? Range manipulation? Even Cut feels a bit wrong to me.

So there's a choice - stick to the RP role or change it. I'd suggest the former.

That may be the RP role you chose, and certainly is what is suggested by the flavour text in the game.

It is not my RP role.

My RP role has been a paladin/fighter/magic-user from my Iop's inception, not dim-witted in the least.

Could Iops reduce AP? Well, I could see that as a possible addition to the class. It should simulate a well placed blow in close combat, designed more to stun... such as striking with the flat of the blade to a vulnerable spot, the stunning represented by AP reduction, perhaps at the cost of lower damage. I don't think this would be all that inappropriate for the warrior element of the class.

Cut actually lends itself somewhat to the current Iop, as they are about mobility to some degree as well at the moment. Reducing MP can be seen as a somewhat inverse mobility spell. as when your opponent has less MP you have effectively more. It does represent more the magic-user element I see in the class in it's current form than it does a warrior. Now, if the spell was revised, to say being close combat range on a single target, it could represent a severe attack to the vitals, so damaging that it reduces the mobility of a target for a time, making it harder to flee the Iop if so inclined. That would fit more of warrior concept, and allow the Iop to reduce the targets mobility, but only after getting to close range first.

Range reduction... well, that could easily be presented as a concussive blow to the head, resulted in clouded vision until the victim recovers from the strike, once again being a close combat attack. This would result in making fleeing the Iop to attack from range less viable for a time, but once again require the Iop to get in close to do so.

All these special abilities would be more suited once a limitation on Jump was put into place, making it more difficult for Iops to get into close combat to inflict them, but making Iops quite versatile and powerful once they do get into close combat.

Actually, just by presenting the above, having the Iop being able to inflict various status effects from particular attacks, but only in close combat range, could possibly make for a very distinctive class with abilities that I think would fit a fantasy warrior quite well, provided the mobility of Iops is becomes more limited so that it isn't quite as easy to bring all these abilities into play.

However, such changes would require shifting the concept of Iop from mindless brute to skillful warrior that attacks with precision. Really though, the magical attacks of Iop never really jived with the dimwitted portrayal of Iops put forth. They have a pretty decent command of magic even as is.
0 0
Score : 11629

Strength storm isn't overpowering but I have to agree that many spells are underused. Strengthstorm, jump and intimidation is all they use but there are other intel moves such as:

-Sword of Fate
-Destructive Sword
-Cut
-Brokle

I'm sure there are more I just can't point them out.

Iops can almost do everything exept:

-Summon
-Ap rape
-Unbewitch

The thing is Iops shouldn't have the ability to do just about everything otherwise they would be overpowering.

Sucks that Iop strengthstorm are getting nerfed but the only good side is that they are being made more fun to use. smile

-xdark-osamodax

0 0
Score : 3419

since when was brokle an intel move

------

what about an ability, thats like a sort of a charge, where you dash to your opponent, possibly doing small damage, has to be linear, and must target somebody, just just an empty cell

that would of course only be if jump is limited

0 0
rossiscooler|2009-09-13 18:02:00

------

what about an ability, thats like a sort of a charge, where you dash to your opponent, possibly doing small damage, has to be linear, and must target somebody, just just an empty cell

that would of course only be if jump is limited

Sort of like Felinition only it targets 2 squares 1 where the iop will jump to and 2 the target. It would deal damage to both Iop and Target. LoS and Linear.
0 0
Score : 11629
rossiscooler|2009-09-14 01:02:00

I wasn't pointing only at intel moves, I was pointing out at all moves I don't see intel Iops use anymore once they get to level 60.

-xdark-osamodax
0 0
Alyss-Sin|2009-09-13 18:21:00
Sort of like Felinition only it targets 2 squares 1 where the iop will jump to and 2 the target. It would deal damage to both Iop and Target. LoS and Linear.

You can only target one square per spell cast.

It could work with the Iop targeting his opponent, and then dashing forward to the opponent -1 square in a linear path, followed up with the animation of the attack. I don't know if I see that as particularily useful though. I suppose much depends on how Jump is limited.
0 0
Score : 643
KA-Dofus|2009-09-13 03:52:00
Vitality is a pseudo healing spell. Sword of Judgment has a healing component.

Intimidation and Blow are battlefield manipulation spells.

Jump is a mobility spell.

Power, Compulsion, Increase, Mutilation, Bravery Guide and Divine Sword are all damage buffing spells, so I don't see where you get that they don't exist.

There is a damage spell path for all elements but chance.

Iop can also reduce MP, give -crits, and maximize rolls on a target.

There are a plethora of things an Iop can do other than being a one-trick pony Wrath machine.

wat iop wants to waste 4ap trying to lower an opponents crits?? not me destructive sword is too unreliable and leaves the iop too open to be of any real use...
0 0
Score : 4

Well I must admit that i have not been using my iop much lately because its just the same thing over and over with her. And that makes it boring. Granted i enjoy the damage she does. But i really dont wanna bother with her because my eca is much more fun. Now im not sure what spells i would change or remove or what i would add right now but i know they need something more. i like SS the way it is, but perhaps add something to their spells if they crit on them. i have a decent crit rate and it might be interesting. i dont know really. Dont get me wrong. i love my iop. she would have never gotten to 16x if i didnt. I just wish they had a bit more to them.

0 0
-master-beast-|2009-11-08 17:11:00
wat iop wants to waste 4ap trying to lower an opponents crits?? not me destructive sword is too unreliable and leaves the iop too open to be of any real use...

That some may not wish to use an ability does not negate it's existence.
0 0
Score : 9384

When fighting someone who has 1/2 crits on everything (and a lot of high level players got that), then lowering their crits definitely is something to consider.

The problem with iops is that their damage output is so incredibly high that lots of people forget about their superb map manipulation skills.

0 0
Respond to this thread