FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Elementary spells

By Bujax April 23, 2012, 21:35:32

We've decided to take some of our Zenith discussions to the rest of the community. Here's our first open brainstorm topic: elementary spells.

Here's the original discussion in the public Zone 48 forum (google translated):
Click here

The main suggestions for the existing spells seem to concern decreasing their AP costs, eliminating potential strategic abuse (e.g. making summons heavy/rooted), and making them easier to obtain (especially arachnee and boomerang).

New spell suggestions are also very welcome, especially for water and earth spells. I'll try to maintain this thread as new comments arrive.

Suggestions so far:

Lightning:

Main concern: damage too random
Other suggestions: change element to earth or *multi

*either: random element damage, low damage in all elements or damaged based on character level

Leek Pie:

Main concern: none
Other suggestions: change min range to 0, change element to *multi, cap the casts per target limit to 2

Release:

Other suggestions: nerf the max range at high level, decrease the AP cost at low levels, allow to cast on another target at low range

Cawwot:

Other suggestions: make it impossible to transposition with, increase its %res or add a %res effect to the glyph, change the heals to a shield HP that doesn't stack

Moon Hammer:

Main concern: cooldown
Other suggestions: decrease the AP cost, change element to *multi (only if all other elemental spells do the same, so unlikely)

Perfidious Boomerang:

Main concern: too high AP cost, damage too random
Other suggestions: change the random damage to last damage received by caster or low dmg in all elements, make it easier to obtain

Arachnee:

Main concern: too difficult to obtain
Other suggestions: limit its osa buffs to treat it as a player not a summon, add some small debuff/poison or pushback to its attacks

Chaferfu:

Main concern: too powerful at high level and overused in PvP
Other suggestions: limit its osa buffs to treat it as a player not a summon, make it impossible to transposition with, decrease lvl 6 stats but buff 1-5, make the non-crit version a bit more useful

Generic suggestions for new spells:
- water/earth/multi spells are preferred
- low AP cost, but a cast limit or cooldown for balance
- equally useful by all classes

[size=15]Suggestions for new spells: [/size]

Chocolate/Blueberry/Cream Pie
Mirror versions of leek pie in other elements (earth.water,air). Might be exclusive between each other, so that every build must choose one element of damage.

Dust cloud
Basically an area-effect leek pie with slightly lower damage that also hurts the caster, but should be useful as a farming or with high +dmg.
Very low (1-2, double on crit) earth area damage, with area increasing with level (from 1C to 4C) and low AP cost. One cast per turn limit.
Range always equal to or less than the radius, so the caster always takes some damage.

Build a wall
High AP cost, low range, static/rooted/stabilized summon with high vit and very high %res. The summon would self-destruct after X-turns.

Water trap
As the name says. Would be interesting to give the trap mechanic to other classes. As long as the damage isn't overpowered, it would be a good addition to many chance or hybrid builds. I assume a small area 1C or 2C?

Squall
Ring-shaped water damage around the caster (like the outer cells of Lightning) (might be too similar to the roque spell Deception)

Ice glyph
Originally suggested as a new feca spell - small glyph that makes anyone stepping on it slide across (continue in the direction they started) and receive water damage. I assume this could have dual use - as a source of damage, or a movement boost (if you don't worry about getting a bit hurt).

Spike
Static summon that casts an erosion debuff (increased permament damage) in a small AoE around itself.

Head-butt
2AP, 1 range, 1 cast per target, neutral damage equal to character level (when leveled, the spell could have more casts per turn or have an increasing stat debuff effect on the target), The spell damage is unaffected by +dmg/%dmg/stats (like sac's punishment).

[size=14]Other suggestions: [/size]

Make all elementary spells give damage in random elements, though this might be too much in favor of omni builds.

Make all elementary spells have just 1 level (like mount taming and soul capture). Might save on diamonds, but would probably mean a substantial nerf for all players using the spells at lvl 6.
2 0
Reactions 121
Score : 6400

Strategic abuse... I personally feel that elementary spell summons should not be buffable as if they're regular old summons (like, with Osamodas spells), and they should definitely not be usable by Sacriers for the purposes of swapping places. There are definitely other things I'm missing, but you catch my drift.

Elementary summons should be equally usable amongst all classes; currently the same identical spells have varying power levels depending on what classes are casting them, and I don't believe Elementary spells should behave in that manner.

0 0
Score : 5262

I think they shouldn't be too powerful though, enough to make people using them spells more then their actual spells but a lot of them do need a buff as there is just no use for most of them.

0 0
Score : 3949

edit

0 0
Score : 1398

Leek Pie with 0 range would give completely new gameplay to sacriers!

0 0
Score : 857

I think it would be really useful if leek pie and striking both were either multi-elemental or had a version of themselves for each element. And boomerang isn't that hard to get if you really want it. If too many use it you know some people will cry over powered. As for moon hammer the AP makes it pointless to use. If it hit 1000+ I would see the reason for the AP cost and I would even say bring up the AP cost. I think low AP spells like leek pie are a must. I don't need high damage. I need spells that supplement my class spells and are easy to use. As a Sram I need non LoS spells for when people hide behind walls in Kolo. I only have 2 potential spells that can reach behind walls and the damage is mediocre. Or I think buff supplementary spells would be great. Many complain about Iop's/Eca's/Cra's power buffs and damage buffs. And I think if everyone could have power buffing (if they need it) a lot of people would feel the balance of classes personally. I saw a match where a Iop with 4.5k hp used vitality gaining 1000 vitality more every 3 turns and it last for 6 turns. It's so ludicrous that the highest hitter of the game can gain more vitality like that. Eca's too have the ability to gain up to 55% of their hp back with repercussion. A vitaliity buffing spell for everyone would really bring the balance in my opinion.
Of course what I am saying is only what I experience personally or hear from others. I hope we can see some real balance brought to the game. And not just nerf after nerf. Thanks Zenith and Ankama for your time.
DarkReaperSaika

0 0
Score : 3543
InuzukaKiba|2012-04-23 22:33:20
...and they should definitely not be usable by Sacriers for the purposes of swapping places.
Why not? I don't see how sacs swapping places with them is any different than how they're able to be used by other classes.

I'm personally not a fan of some of these ideas, I don't think that the elementary spells are powerful enough that they warrant change. At the same time the only one I see as being too under powered is lightning strike.
0 0
kakisuka|2012-04-24 01:45:40
...and they should definitely not be usable by Sacriers for the purposes of swapping places.
Why not? I don't see how sacs swapping places with them is any different than how they're able to be used by other classes.

I'm personally not a fan of some of these ideas, I don't think that the elementary spells are powerful enough that they warrant change. At the same time the only one I see as being too under powered is lightning strike.

No other class has the ability to instantly create a beacon with which they can instantly swap places at whim (barring cooldowns), nor does any other class have the ability to create a high HP summon at will and proceed to instantly drain a sizable amount of health from it.

Edit: The point I'm making here is that Sacriers and Osas can do some exceptionally neat things with elementary summons, while other classes lack these abilities.
0 0
Score : 6477
InuzukaKiba|2012-04-24 01:59:20
kakisuka|2012-04-24 01:45:40

No other class has the ability to instantly create a beacon with which they can instantly swap places at whim (barring cooldowns), nor does any other class have the ability to create a high HP summon at will and proceed to instantly drain a sizable amount of health from it.

Edit: The point I'm making here is that Sacriers and Osas can do some exceptionally neat things with elementary summons, while other classes lack these abilities.
I am personally of the opinion that class diversity is a positive thing in this regard.

Doesn't a universally accessible spell serve to highlight the differences in each class?

Cawwot for example being used as an anchor for Bling for example. (My Zobal has Cawwot at lvl 6 for this purpose.)

It is exceedingly important, I feel, that spells be kept useful to all classes while not being overly exploitable by others.
Taking the Arachnee summon as an example, 1/2 builds caused this spell to be significantly weakened. This not only made it unworth its rarity, but the Major became rather lackluster as well.

I can fully understand Cawwot becoming perpetually Rooted and in the Gravity States, but increased Neutral/Agility resistance simply to combat healing off of it is unneeded. For the standard Sacrier
utilizing 4 AP to nom on cawoty goodness seems pretty fair. While it would also make unsummoning spells less effective against it, increasing its abuse by Agility Cras for example.

As a community, what is more preferred? Utility spells or damaging ones?
Release for example is one of the most widely used Elementary spells that I know of. Leek Pie is also one of the most popular.

In terms of Leek Pie and Lightning Strike, it seems as though implementing a mechanic once used on Feca's shields would be best, the highest stat is used for the element.
This would further diversify these spells between the classes. Which is something that I rather enjoy. Taking the same spells and showcasing each classes take on these spells
with interesting tactical functionality (such as a 0 range Leek or Cawwot with Bling).
0 0

edit

0 0

Electricotter, I'm a tad confused by your response.

Doesn't a universally accessible spell serve to highlight the differences in each class?

Cawwot for example being used as an anchor for Bling for example. (My Zobal has Cawwot at lvl 6 for this purpose.)

Okay, that's the opposite of the point I'm making.

It is exceedingly important, I feel, that spells be kept useful to all classes while not being overly exploitable by others.

But this fully supports my point of view. You're giving a legitimate example of what I think is wrong with elementary summons: certain classes are granted more advantages than others when the spell is cast. When, say, an Iop summons a Cawwot, it's a static summon with a little restoring glyph. When a Masqueraider summons a Cawwot, it's not only a static summon, but also a target for Bling. Similarly, when an Iop summons a Chaferfu, it's a summon that does damage and whatnot. When an Osamodas summons one, it's a summon that does damage and whatnot that can be enhanced in all sorts of ways that an Iop couldn't dream of. If a Sacrier summons it, suddenly it serves a wide array of purposes that makes Iops drool more than they usually do.
0 0
Score : 7834

The changes(those regarding Osa buffs) to the summoning spells are the only ones I really think are necessary. I can see a case being made for the Arachnee Summoning Spell being difficult to acquire, considering how random your chances are of getting it, but a simple fix would be to allow the NPC that lets you get it always be available to fight.

*Travis

0 0
Score : 3054

Yay more transposition retrictions. *rolls eyes* More nerfs for the sacrier proposed.

Like we need them!

Plus most of the proposed changes, pffft.

I may as well quit my main class now.

I find it funny that release (one of the element spells that corses the sacrier class the most pain in pvp, specialy v osas) has nothing wrong added to it.

0 0
InuzukaKiba|2012-04-24 06:51:39

But this fully supports my point of view. You're giving a legitimate example of what I think is wrong with elementary summons: certain classes are granted more advantages than others when the spell is cast. When, say, an Iop summons a Cawwot, it's a static summon with a little restoring glyph. When a Masqueraider summons a Cawwot, it's not only a static summon, but also a target for Bling. Similarly, when an Iop summons a Chaferfu, it's a summon that does damage and whatnot. When an Osamodas summons one, it's a summon that does damage and whatnot that can be enhanced in all sorts of ways that an Iop couldn't dream of. If a Sacrier summons it, suddenly it serves a wide array of purposes that makes Iops drool more than they usually do.
Were that same Iop to summon an Arachnee, feed it with Divine Sword, Vitality, Power, ect. it would be a summon capable of much more damage than the Sacriers Flying Sword.

I think that Osa buff's functioning on these summons as if they were player's is fine as it still allow's the class to bring a unique twist to them.

A Sac eating a Cawwot isn't overpowered. A Zobal using the same Cawwot as a Bling anchor isn't overpowered. Just like an Eni or Osa using Cawwot for heals isn't overpowered either.
They all require their own investments and work off of different aspects of each class that enable these same exact spells to be used differently.

The only problem that I see, as in the case of Chaffer, is when they replace a classes actual spells, such as Flying Sword.

Let me return to the Osa, which I also play, the Chaffer or Arachnee will never replace my summons. I will summon a Crackler or Wyrm or Magus before either of these any day of the week.
When you are low level however, and only have the Gob to work with, these summons work swimmingly to get you through some tough times. Osa's are a summoning class and therefore should make better use of summons. But these summons are vastly overshadowed by our own summons.

My Zobal still uses Arachnee consistently however. Arachnee, Plastron, Psycho/Classic Mask. That just let me complete Exuberant for that turn and got me a moderate striker/tank for a few turns. Is that overpowered? Certainly not. Is it more powerful than an Osa using Arachnee? No, but if the Osa focuses its buffs on the Arachnee(AP sink and ignoring much better summons) I will have a much easier time killing that Osa.

The only unfair class advantage I see with any of these summons is the Sac swap/switch abuse...but a Sac can already use Flying Sword for this.

I can support the Osa buff limits, but I find them unnecessary. Just like I could support gravity, but that too is not really needed in my opinion.

A Gravity ridden, Rooted Cawwot I fully support.

A far greater disparity in my opinion would be the easily obtainable Lightning Strike and Leek Pie that are vastly slanted towards Int builds...which would be ok were there other attacks viable to Chance, Agility, and Strength builds.

Also, Boomerang and Hammer are far more expensive than needed.

Lastly, Angry you can freely and constructively add or debate anything you wish (on topic) to this thread. Release is a very good point, by the way. This is one of, if not the most, common Elementary spell used by many classes. What would you propose to make it less favorable?
0 0
Electricotter|2012-04-24 09:42:08
InuzukaKiba|2012-04-24 06:51:39

Were that same Iop to summon an Arachnee, feed it with Divine Sword, Vitality, Power, ect. it would be a summon capable of much more damage than the Sacriers Flying Sword.

I think that Osa buff's functioning on these summons as if they were player's is fine as it still allow's the class to bring a unique twist to them.

A Sac eating a Cawwot isn't overpowered. A Zobal using the same Cawwot as a Bling anchor isn't overpowered. Just like an Eni or Osa using Cawwot for heals isn't overpowered either.
They all require their own investments and work off of different aspects of each class that enable these same exact spells to be used differently.

The only problem that I see, as in the case of Chaffer, is when they replace a classes actual spells, such as Flying Sword.

Let me return to the Osa, which I also play, the Chaffer or Arachnee will never replace my summons. I will summon a Crackler or Wyrm or Magus before either of these any day of the week.
When you are low level however, and only have the Gob to work with, these summons work swimmingly to get you through some tough times. Osa's are a summoning class and therefore should make better use of summons. But these summons are vastly overshadowed by our own summons.

My Zobal still uses Arachnee consistently however. Arachnee, Plastron, Psycho/Classic Mask. That just let me complete Exuberant for that turn and got me a moderate striker/tank for a few turns. Is that overpowered? Certainly not. Is it more powerful than an Osa using Arachnee? No, but if the Osa focuses its buffs on the Arachnee(AP sink and ignoring much better summons) I will have a much easier time killing that Osa.

The only unfair class advantage I see with any of these summons is the Sac swap/switch abuse...but a Sac can already use Flying Sword for this.

I can support the Osa buff limits, but I find them unnecessary. Just like I could support gravity, but that too is not really needed in my opinion.

A Gravity ridden, Rooted Cawwot I fully support.

A far greater disparity in my opinion would be the easily obtainable Lightning Strike and Cawwot that are vastly slanted towards Int builds...which would be ok were there other attacks viable to Chance, Agility, and Strength builds.

Also, Boomerang and Hammer are far more expensive than needed.

Lastly, Angry you can freely and constructively add or debate anything you wish (on topic) to this thread.

So ok lets get into this before the zenith proposes to ruin every strategy I have left.

Flying sword really, are you serious? Its the worst summon in the game.

I love the way none of the changes proposed do nothing but improve the utility for the mask. (right down to changing lightning strike to earth) Pluss masks still get the option to buff summons.

Iops buff damage on summons.

Osas can buff summons.

Cras can too.

Rougues can use them for bomb activation, same with srams. Oh and they can buff them.

And the many other classes uses for them.

Yet, why restrict the sacriers main ability, the switch? We already have harsh restrictoions on what used to be our battlefield manipulation, now this! I see how this goes, all the other classes get a little buff in regards to what there summons do. But the sac, we get one of our (now turning into a horribly clunky) main purpose in combat deniged yet again.

Plus the justification.... flying sword LMFAO, the worst summon in the game! I could sneeze on it and it would die.

As for leak pie, really more restrictions. Why?

Again cawwot why cant we transpo with it? you know the 8ap cost to cast both cawwot and transpo sisnt enough? Practiacally a whole turn. Oh and the improved res for what? To stick it to Bloodthirsty madness to make yet another sacrier spell more useless huh? Yet the mask can summon it and bling for 6 ap. The reason for the transpo nerf again?

Perf' boomerang and moon hammer, yeah there ap cost needs reducing.

Lightning strike should do exactly what perf does cept in aoe none steal.

As for dustcloud, oh yeah lets give the +dmg multipliers a 1-2 /2-4 damage area of effect spell for low ap cost, How dose this not benifit damage multipler classes over normal classes. Iop , mask or cra abuse anyone?

Last point, all the above spells need spell point investment or scrolling, I see no justification to nerf the summons. Plus the spells suggested and changes seam royaly biased towards certain classes. The other spell change sugestions mostly just look like a big sacrier nerf.

If your not going to be serious and impatial in the way these are suposed to be changed whats the point me even debating with you.

(is angry at how ludicrously biased the spell sugestion changes are)

Heres a suggestion for you all, How about we buff the summons or spells of the classes instead of nerfing what already works JEEZ!
0 0
Score : 3374

Let's not turn this discussion into class vs class debates.

The current problem is that the present elementary spells are more useful to some builds/classes than others:
- int builds have lightning, leek, cawwot,
- air builds have moonhammer,
- summons benefit mainly sacs and osas

This thread is supposed to gather suggestions for slight improvements (possibly slight nerfs) that would balance things out, but more importantly, gather ideas for new spells that would either benefit everyone equally or be targeted specifically at water or str chars.

Notice that most spells have no major concerns, only minor suggestions for nerfs/improvements. Feel free to suggest your own.

0 0
Bujax|2012-04-24 10:45:39
Let's not turn this discussion into class vs class debates.

The current problem is that the present elementary spells are more useful to some builds/classes than others:
- int builds have lightning, leek, cawwot,
- air builds have moonhammer,
- summons benefit mainly sacs and osas

This thread is supposed to gather suggestions for slight improvements (possibly slight nerfs) that would balance things out, but more importantly, gather ideas for new spells that would either benefit everyone equally or be targeted specifically at water or str chars.

Notice that most spells have no major concerns, only minor suggestions for nerfs/improvements. Feel free to suggest your own.

So nefing summons in regards to sacriers and osas mmmm.

By proxi of the sugestions in the main post... Cawwots improved res and none transposable, same for chafer, and they dont benifit from osa buffs; Bloodthirsty madness becomes useless, specialy at level 6 where its damage goes down (200 reward here to max it). This is not a slight nerf, it renders the switching capability of the sacrier to more useless than it is now, making BTM a thing for the dusty pages of spell book filed under "T'was once epic, now it blows". As for summons and buffing from osas, well chafi hits anyone and everyone, the problem here with it being buffed?

As for improvements:

1. Moon hammer and perf made 5ap at all levels. Tweak to perf, make it the reward for beating skuenk, drop the boomerangs needed to obtain the spell.

2. Lightning strike 4ap at all levels, random element hit (like perf boomerang) non steal aoe.

3. Leak pie, its fine as it is. Or make it random element like perf boomerang

4. Cawwot, is fine as it is. But if you want a sugestion, make it give an (sp) shield (sp shields are what mask provide in a vit stack) if you are in the glyff at the start of your turn instead of a heal. About 150 sp is fair at level 6 spell. This (sp) shield wouldn't stack with itself.

5. Chafer, leave it the hell alone! Its fine as it is. (the class summons should be buffed instead of nerfing the chafa).

6. Release, lower how far it pushes to a max at level 6 of 2 cells.

7. Aracnee, lower its ap cost to 3, job done. It needs no other buff / nerf. In regards to obtaining it, make the aracnee house quest trigger the fight as soon as you enter the loft after accepting the quest.

I am not turning this into a class v class debate. I am pointing out the bias's in the sugestions and telling you why its out of order. Its a contradiction to say "lets restrict transpositions effects on summons" Then allowing the mask to "Cast cawwot and bling, chafa and bolitch". This means a mask now has the manopoly on moving across the battlefiled while further relegating sacriers to buff / weapon spam, loosing our heals from btm thanks to high res, oh and not being able to use our switchs. Then after saying these sugestions are for balance "dustcloud" is sugested. Anyone who can do the math on a str character (most of them are damage mutipliers) can see how overpowered this area of effect spell can be.

So there you are.
0 0

edit

0 0
Score : 456
Priz|2012-04-23 23:52:24
I didn't read the entire Zone 48 thread because Google Translate gives me a headache but changing Leek Pie's min range to 0 is something I have seen a lot of people ask for and talk about over the years. This is mainly for use in conjunction with Sacriers and Living Bags.

Although the OP in the Zone 48 thread said that Cawwot is fine as it is I tend to disagree. The only time I ever see this spell used now is when someone can't reach anything to do something more useful and they just want to blow some AP. It's a mediocre LoS block and a terrible outlet for heals. It used to have some function in 1v1 PvP and may still serve some purpose in Kol but from my experience it has become all but obsolete.

Changing the element of Striking (lightning strike) is an interesting idea. Int builds are already kind of favored by the "elementary" spells so throwing a bone to Str builds could be a good idea. Although I have to say that at level 30-40ish that was my Feca's number one spell for grinding on piglets. I can't imagine how much harder solo leveling through that range would have been without it.
Mmm duno what level you PvP or PvM but cawwot is widely used at epic lvl, in Kolo or PvM it's an incredible LoS blocker and meatshield, as long as you have the spell points to level it to 6. The healing glyph is obsolete and could be removed, rarely seeing it used as a healing tool.

Lowering AP cost from lvl 1 to 5 or make it range 1 to 6 from lvl 1 (with same AP cost) would make it more accessible and useful even without a diamond mine.

apart from Cawwot, release and boomerang, no idea how we can even call the other spells quoted here as "elementary", they all target specific classes and builds. Would be fair to have a water and earth spell too then. However summons in a bufable/movable form, fail to play an equivalent role for every class, obviously any class with abilities to shield or/and map manip have more advantages with them (since arach and chaferfu lost their abilities to give AP and debuff). If an earth and water elementary spell were to be made, chafer and arachnee roles could be focused on slight MP and AP removal (crit only affecting %res or HP). I'd imagine non bufable/non movable versions of summons, HP value and res between arach and chafer, 4ap cost all lvl, no more random behavior from chafer, casting -MP or -AP spell on random ennemies twice per turn. As long as MP and AP removal are light and dependent on AI, wouldn't be OP.

so you get:

• int spell - leek pie
  • earth spell - lightning?
  • water spell - ?
  • air spell - revised moon hammer
  • multi-elemental spell - boomerang
  • slight AP removal summon - arachnee
  • slight MP removal summon - chafer
  • los block/meatshield - cawwot
  • map manip spell - release
0 0

In my opinion it would be more than fair to be able to customize these spells to some degree.

There could be a baker that would exchange Leek Pie for:
Choco Pie (Earth)
Blueberry Pie (Water)
Cream Pie(Air)

It would be best for this change to occur AFTER the scroll was used to keep someone from learning all of them. (Cast limit abuse for +dam builds.)

A similar thing could be done for Lightning Strike. These spells would be the same just have a different element.
A quest item could be implemented that would allow switching out one for another, but would inhibit learning more than 1 version.

As for a Water suggestion how about Squall:
This spell would be very similar to Deception only with a range of 0.

It would deal low to moderate damage with a ring AoE of 3.

Another suggestion could be Icing:

AoE 1 cross, mid range (min range of 3ish).
Like the suggestion once made for a Feca Spell it could create a Glyph that would cause someone walking over it to continue on past it. A small amount of Water damage being applied for each cell traversed.

0 0
Respond to this thread