FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Elementary spells

By Bujax April 23, 2012, 21:35:32
Reactions 121
Score : 3543
vagabaka|2013-04-07 00:15:03
Leek Pie level 6 now has the same unboostable maximum range as Pilfer level 6, just without diagonal restriction. This change came after the introduction of Foggernauts and at the same time as a few other updates to the Foggernaut class, so I don't think the existence of Leek Pie is the reason for Foggernaut's short range int spells. If anything, it indicates developers wanted to emphasis the range limitation of int Foggernauts (among other classes/builds), by lowering the ability to bypass this limitation with Leek Pie.

In the case of int Foggernauts, the limitation is to balance their superior ability to heal. Although Lifesaver can heal efficiently without investment in int, there are still limitations to its use. Int Foggernauts can choose to evolve Harpooner to compensate for lack of ranged damage, and still fulfill a moderate need for healing using First Aid and unevolved Lifesaver.

I also don't like the uneven elemental distribution of elementary spells, but I wouldn't go as far as say classes suffer because of this. Other than Eniripsa and Osamodas, classes with int builds can easily choose other builds as well. Int characters are only as common as they are needed. Healing classes might get outshined by other fire damage dealers in group fights, but they still more than make up for it with healing. Non-healing int builds of some classes are inferior to other builds (Sram and possibly Rogue come to mind), but it's still very possible to boost them through class spells.
I know this doesn't belong in this thread, however I would just like to note that elementary spells aren't tied to Fogger spells. Fogger spells are short range to compensate for their far superior ability to heal than the other classes.

Also, in terms of elementary spells, I would say that elementary spells belong as chance and intel. Before anyone snaps at my neck, hear me out.

• Intel provides healing, a bonus which a few classes can use, but not all of them can utilize.
  • Chance provides prospection, but literally no combat bonuses.
  • Strength boosts neutral damage, giving them greater rule over weapons and boosting two forms of damage at once.
  • Agility provides dodge, lock and crit. 3 bonuses which can be used by any class.

As you can see, intel and chance are the only two classes which don't have bonuses which everyone of those builds can use, so it makes sense to boost them in other ways in combat, which would be elementary spells.
0 0
Score : 6477
vagabaka|2013-04-07 00:15:03
Electricotter|2013-04-06 22:16:46

Leek Pie level 6 now has the same unboostable maximum range as Pilfer level 6, just without diagonal restriction. This change came after the introduction of Foggernauts and at the same time as a few other updates to the Foggernaut class, so I don't think the existence of Leek Pie is the reason for Foggernaut's short range int spells. If anything, it indicates developers wanted to emphasis the range limitation of int Foggernauts (among other classes/builds), by lowering the ability to bypass this limitation with Leek Pie.

In the case of int Foggernauts, the limitation is to balance their superior ability to heal. Although Lifesaver can heal efficiently without investment in int, there are still limitations to its use. Int Foggernauts can choose to evolve Harpooner to compensate for lack of ranged damage, and still fulfill a moderate need for healing using First Aid and unevolved Lifesaver.

I also don't like the uneven elemental distribution of elementary spells, but I wouldn't go as far as say classes suffer because of this. Other than Eniripsa and Osamodas, classes with int builds can easily choose other builds as well. Int characters are only as common as they are needed. Healing classes might get outshined by other fire damage dealers in group fights, but they still more than make up for it with healing. Non-healing int builds of some classes are inferior to other builds (Sram and possibly Rogue come to mind), but it's still very possible to boost them through class spells.
What is the max range of Leek Pie?
What is the max range of First Aid?
The answer is the same max innate range as Anchor.

I am not saying it is the cause I am saying it is both cause and effect.
Range abuse was an issue for some time, hence Exo mage limits.
Leek Pie mitigating the lack of range within classes was directly sited as to why it was altered.

It was directly stated that Elementary spells are taken into account for class balance, the Fogger being the newest class, which came in right around these alterations.

The Osa is a superior healer in terms of First Aid(lower AP, similar heal)/Animal Healing(more range higher max heal, more casts/target).
This is as far as we really need to go in terms of Int Fogger heals vs Str Fogger heals.

The Eni heals more, has a range buffing spell, and has a boostable range attack (starting one less than the Fogger mid range spells).
Felintion is a great heal, HoT is a good heal, both have slightly less range and the Int attacks are more favorable.

They have superior healing for a NON INT build, which gets superior range and damage compared to their own Intel build.

Pilfer is a moot point as the awkward diagonal range only grants 16 targetable cells, which isn't even equivocal to a 3 Circular area.

Diagonal reach is only superior in terms of +range, it is equivocal in practicality to the linear restriction, which is just that, a restriction.

This is more a dialogue for the Fogger thread however.

Ability scores in general are being touched upon in the Future of Healing thread.
So that would be a better place to send those comments.
0 0
Respond to this thread