FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Feca Shield Merger

By Bujax April 25, 2012, 23:39:20
Reactions 282
Score : 15681
Giga-Biga-Bowser|2013-07-02 11:08:59
Why do we need to change the way Fecas plays? As I stated earlier, I'd like to stick with roughly the same class design.

Iops didn't get a complete change in design, they're still all about the damages. Cras are still all about the ranges (even more so with the cc nerf and Powerful Shooting). Osas are still all about the summons (and buffing them to an extent). Why should Fecas, who've been focused on shielding, be shifted towards a focus on their glyphs?

I'm not completely dismissing the idea. I'd just rather not be handed an irreversible class change potion and have it forced down my throat. I'm positive that I'm not the only one with the same thoughts.

I don't feel that shield glyphs would be changing the class completely. It would just be combining the two class roles of glyphs and shields into one common role, in which glyphs are how shields are applied. So instead of apply shields directly to players, the feca applies the shield effect to a AoE zone, and all allies in the zone enjoy the shield effect.

With a sufficiently low cast cooldown and duration the shield glyph could be moved say every other turn to keep it strategic and flexible. The shield glyph also couldn't be unbewitched like the normal shield effect can right now. Instead opponents would have to push you out of the zone to hit you.

The idea definitely has it's drawbacks. There are numerous monsters in PvM who can coop with you, or in some other way pull or push you our a shield zone, and in PvP as well many characters could easily get you out of the shield zone or get themselves into the shield zone to enjoy it's effects.

So I still think the traditional style shields would be nice to have. Anyway, it's something worth thinking about I guess.
0 0
Score : 6477

Yes but is that RIGHT for the class.

This would make the battlefield more static as opposed to dynamic.
Also most classes, all including Release, have access to map manipulation.

This would severely hinder the Feca.

It is much more interesting to have exploits such as CC or Ranged built in, which make one formulate an overall strategy based on the shield, but the shield isn't the CENTER of ones strategy.

UB and such being available work arounds, but not available to all classes teams.

Furthermore having shields be LESS effective on allies but more on the Feca is another thing this would somewhat miss out on.

0 0
Score : 16

Making the shields into glyphs (and making them useable by enemies), while an interesting idea, is too exploitable by enemies. Of the 15 classes, the only 2 that could NOT exploit the glyph shields would be Osa's and Eni's as far as travelling to them. Sacriers can just coop, half of the classes can buff their own MP, and the rest have some sort of movement / pushing spells allowing them to travel to and then remove friendly players from the glyphs while gaining the shields themselves.

I understand trying to balance shields and all, but it shouldn't be something every single class can take advantage of. The end result would be feca's resorting to all out offense and bypassing the shield glyphs entirely.

That being said, I believe shields should be similar to RP. Castable from range at low AP cost but with lower protection for your allies than the Feca. They shouldn't be "spamable" so that you can maintain the intended weakness to unbewitchment (maybe castable up to 2 times in a turn with AoE and then the spell goes on CD after the first cast?).

If they go with a spell and then a CC shield, I would be interested in how the CD's would work. Maybe the lower protection to allies will be enough that the dev's don't feel players will "need" to rely on unbewitchment in order to make fecas vulnerable and result in spam / lower CD's on shields. While the shields are half decent at higher levels, they're not "OP". They only truly shine when merged with toad / preventing word / feca shield or someone uses a multi hitting weapon / spell (silly dagger spammers) and even then, they can still do enough damage in a turn that the shields don't feel all that amazing.

Mishna|2013-07-02 20:53:06
Giga-Biga-Bowser|2013-07-02 11:08:59
Why do we need to change the way Fecas plays? As I stated earlier, I'd like to stick with roughly the same class design.

Iops didn't get a complete change in design, they're still all about the damages. Cras are still all about the ranges (even more so with the cc nerf and Powerful Shooting). Osas are still all about the summons (and buffing them to an extent). Why should Fecas, who've been focused on shielding, be shifted towards a focus on their glyphs?

I'm not completely dismissing the idea. I'd just rather not be handed an irreversible class change potion and have it forced down my throat. I'm positive that I'm not the only one with the same thoughts.

I don't feel that shield glyphs would be changing the class completely. It would just be combining the two class roles of glyphs and shields into one common role, in which glyphs are how shields are applied. So instead of apply shields directly to players, the feca applies the shield effect to a AoE zone, and all allies in the zone enjoy the shield effect.

With a sufficiently low cast cooldown and duration the shield glyph could be moved say every other turn to keep it strategic and flexible. The shield glyph also couldn't be unbewitched like the normal shield effect can right now. Instead opponents would have to push you out of the zone to hit you.

The idea definitely has it's drawbacks. There are numerous monsters in PvM who can coop with you, or in some other way pull or push you our a shield zone, and in PvP as well many characters could easily get you out of the shield zone or get themselves into the shield zone to enjoy it's effects.

So I still think the traditional style shields would be nice to have. Anyway, it's something worth thinking about I guess.
In response to the glyph shields (and making them useable by enemies) I have been trying to come up with a way to actually implement glyph shields without it being too OP or UP. Bear with me, it's not a complete idea, just an overall picture of how it could possibly work and more of a feedback response.

In order for this to work, the glyph would have to be on a relatively low CD (say 1-2 turns, not sure about duration yet, but I would suggest 2 turn duration and 2 turn CD in order to make the glyphs both usable and appealing to enemies) so the fight doesn't become too static as Otter pointed out. This would allow you to move the shielded area by trying to anticipating what your enemies will do (or possibly do) and allow you to react or manipulate a fight.

adding heavy / unmoveable states while in the glyph could be a great secondary effect. In order to keep this fair and keep it from being OP, enemies who successfully enter the glyph should be put into a state that allows you to maneuver you and your allies. A quick example would be an iop jumping in and using intimidate to remove your team from the glyph. This would only work if the iop is inside the glyph and is only active while he is actually inside of it. Any other allies or enemies located outside of the glyph will not be able to manipulate you in any way. This also works with the previous mechanic I stated above: helping manipulate a fight. Your enemies will have to choose between overall damage, removing you from the glyph and attempting to get their team onto it, or fighting at ranged (I know there are far more tactics, I'm just giving a few examples).

the concept can be potentially OP or UP, depending on team compositions. I also don't know if Ankama would ever agree with the whole unmoveable states on the shields since this is a mechanic widely reserved for dungeon bosses.

keep in mind, this is not a "this is an awesome idea we should have now!!!" Post. It's to help get people started on possible solutions to shields that may not have been thought of yet, or to tweak the ideas of currently existing ideas. Please post feedback and ideas...it's how we evolve this game and make it better!
0 0
Respond to this thread