FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Masqueraider balancing

By Electricotter - MEMBER OF THE ZENITH - June 11, 2012, 14:49:08

The Masqueraider class is one of the newest additions to the World of the Twelve.
They utilize many complex mechanics such as having multiple states which dictate their abilities, superb but conditional movement skills, and a unique array of shields based on Vitality.
With each Mask there is an accompanying role:

• Classic Mask is more tanking-focused.
  • Psychopath Mask is more damage-focused.
  • Cowardly Mask is more disabling/support-focused.
There are three primary elemental builds:
  • Strength which offers manipulation of Dodge, MP, and spike damage.
  • Agility which debuffs Lock, takes MP, and allows for limited teleportation.
  • Chance which focuses on positioning and map manipulation.
It should also be noted that due to standardized caps there are some who also play an Intelligence build. Healing weapons and elementary spells help to make this more viable as the class has no Fire or Healing spells.

The Masqueraider is perhaps one of the most AP-intensive of the classes; other restrictions such as cast limits and fixed range spells are a key component in developing ones tactics and play style.

These restrictions can also be made one of the classes main boons however. The Coward Mask is mostly immune to range reduction and the cast limits, together with attractive soft caps, make them potentially devastating hybrid builds. This style of play is made even stronger with the damage buffs received from the Psychopath spells.

The Masqueraider has some unique debuff abilities such as imposing the Unhealable state and removing Lock. In conjunction with their plethora of supportive skills such as shielding, lock, damage, and dodge buffs they are rather potent allies in terms of survive-ability and mobility.

Which of the Masks do you like to wear?
Are all masks created equal?
What element(s) do you prefer?
Are you a mono- or mixed-element Masqueraider?
Which spells do you use least often?
Which of the shielding spells are most and least appealing?
If Masqueraiders were to receive just one change, what should it be?
0 0
Reactions 80
Score : 3959

Make the level 100 spell more useful. As it sits now, I never use it. The rest of the mask is fine as the cowardly mask is used for disabling the phyco for CC and one shield( best used with plastoron) , the classic for shields.

0 0
Score : 3054
greekg|2012-06-17 05:44:16
Make the level 100 spell more useful. As it sits now, I never use it. The rest of the mask is fine as the cowardly mask is used for disabling the phyco for CC and one shield( best used with plastoron) , the classic for shields.
I use it all the time, maskeraid + ardour = sacrier missing his punishment. As just one example of its tactical useage.
0 0
Score : 6477

I also feel we have a lame 100 spell.

What sort of spell would be good in its place?

I admit that it may have its niche and rather situational uses, but I have used it only a handful of times myself. I also wouldn't waste the points on putting it higher than lvl 1.

0 0
Score : 2987

i dont think it should be replaced, but i think it should last 2 turns for sure (maybe even 3 at level 6) the way it stands right now any non-blitz team can't reasonably use it in pvm, while pvp it's relativly worthless (the missing sac puni is the only time i've EVER seen it used and that was only once)

i'm very happy to see that capering went down to 4ap biggrin

i dont think i'm the only one dissastified by ardour. its not worth alot as a self buff unless you just have the 2ap leftover which often times is better to use something else. not saying its a useless spell, but theres nothing wrong with it lasting 2 turns on the caster is there? that'd stop it from being TOO powerful at stopping healing but at the same time being a good self-buff. idk. i know its good but as the only non-mask self buff i find it sad as a self buff. or was that not the point (and the point is to unlockable and unhealable)

i dont think it should be replaced, but i think it should last 2 turns for sure (maybe even 3 at level 6) the way it stands right now any non-blitz team can't reasonably use it in pvm, while pvp it's relativly worthless (the missing sac puni is the only time i've EVER seen it used and that was only once)

i'm very happy to see that capering went down to 4ap biggrin

i dont think i'm the only one dissastified by ardour. its not worth alot as a self buff unless you just have the 2ap leftover which often times is better to use something else. not saying its a useless spell, but theres nothing wrong with it lasting 2 turns on the caster is there? that'd stop it from being TOO powerful at stopping healing but at the same time being a good self-buff. idk. i know its good but as the only non-mask self buff i find it sad as a self buff. or was that not the point (and the point is to unlockable and unhealable)

0 0
Score : 240

I think adrour is ok, psycho mask spells are all fine... I find some use for coward-mask spells too, but, most useless spells are all classic mask spells. I never use them. They lack range and damage.
In general, some boostable ranges in spells would be nice...

0 0
Score : 5025

The lv100 spell should be changed to maybe something that buffs the people with the shield possibly ?
Also picada should have longer range as even with + range it still feels little ( depending on equips ).
Martelo could do with +1 range at lv6 to make up the it's low damage.

I personally have no problem with any other spells as they all seem good. 

0 0
Score : 3543

One spell i've never found that I use is distance. It just feels counter intuitive to a close range class. When I play a Masq I want to be in close combat so I can deal damage, I never find myself needing distance. I know the concept of cowardly masq is to keep people away, but Picada is a low damage low ap spell (which I think deserves 3 casts per player), allowing the Masq to do other things on the same turn while Apathy is an MP steal, allowing the Masq to run away OR close in.

My suggestion is to make distance similar to Cra's disperse, or Iop's blow. Of course the damage would need adjusting and it would either need no line or sight or none linearity, but I just think that it would make the spell overall more usable.

And as for the level 100 spell, I think that it should be 2 turns, one turn isn't enough to make the most out of it. The Masq needs at least one turn with ALL of his AP to use it.

Edit: and the classic spells, with the exception of Decoy which I like, it seems that the damage just isn't enough. I think that their classic spells should steal enough so that they allow the Masq to pull themselves from the brink of death back to a reasonable amount, while also allowing them to lock enemies within their reach.

0 0
kakisuka|2012-06-18 04:15:52
One spell i've never found that I use is distance. It just feels counter intuitive to a close range class. When I play a Masq I want to be in close combat so I can deal damage, I never find myself needing distance. I know the concept of cowardly masq is to keep people away, but Picada is a low damage low ap spell (which I think deserves 3 casts per player), allowing the Masq to do other things on the same turn while Apathy is an MP steal, allowing the Masq to run away OR close in.

My suggestion is to make distance similar to Cra's disperse, or Iop's blow. Of course the damage would need adjusting and it would either need no line or sight or none linearity, but I just think that it would make the spell overall more usable.

And as for the level 100 spell, I think that it should be 2 turns, one turn isn't enough to make the most out of it. The Masq needs at least one turn with ALL of his AP to use it.

Edit: and the classic spells, with the exception of Decoy which I like, it seems that the damage just isn't enough. I think that their classic spells should steal enough so that they allow the Masq to pull themselves from the brink of death back to a reasonable amount, while also allowing them to lock enemies within their reach.
I use Decoy rather often. Chance has a certain advantage with pushback damage that a lvl 6 Distance benefits from.

I'm fine with the Blow concept so long as allies aren't damaged and it deals pushback damage (to which allies would be susceptible).
That would greatly increase the Coward Masks potential.
0 0
Score : 1166

I happen to like Masquerade... It's great for blitzing a boss or a high-hp enemy in Kolossium, and with the shields, doesn't really hurt the caster.

0 0
Sljm|2012-06-18 22:38:14
I happen to like Masquerade... It's great for blitzing a boss or a high-hp enemy in Kolossium, and with the shields, doesn't really hurt the caster.
Explain how they help to blitz a boss. Im just not seeing it :-P
0 0
greekg|2012-06-19 03:40:19
20,000 hp. -30% is -6000 hp. if you run a team that can shell out the 14,000 dmg in a turn, then it works. but honestly the spell is relatively crappy...if it were 2 turns it'd be very nice tho...that'd help to kill half a mob, since 2 turns is more than enough to kill 4-5 monsters

greekg|2012-06-19 03:40:19
20,000 hp. -30% is -6000 hp. if you run a team that can shell out the 14,000 dmg in a turn, then it works. but honestly the spell is relatively crappy...if it were 2 turns it'd be very nice tho...that'd help to kill half a mob, since 2 turns is more than enough to kill 4-5 monsters
0 0

On the flip side of that however, a 4000 hp character is reduced to 2,800 hp.
A 3000 hp character is reduced to 2,100 hp.

So lasting for 2 turns makes it difficult for melee characters as well.
Granted Plastron makes a sufficient buffer, add in a Feca and the team will be ok, but it is still a really lame lvl 100 spell.

I wouldn't mind it as much if our Class spell was more useful. But in my opinion one of the two should be changed (Masquerade being the preference).

0 0
Electricotter|2012-06-19 12:44:45

Granted Plastron makes a sufficient buffer, add in a Feca and the team will be ok, but it is still a really lame lvl 100 spell.

I wouldn't mind it as much if our Class spell was more useful. But in my opinion one of the two should be changed (Masquerade being the preference).
Don't you go putting silly ideas in the dev's heads like ruining defraction. Its an amazing spell.
0 0
Electricotter|2012-06-19 12:44:45

Maybe organize a time to come onto the test and see what my mask is cappable of?
0 0
Score : 4

In my Opinion, Most masquerader spells need Revision, The Tight AP cost of every spell beside Reinforcement and Picada make the Masquerader a very challenging Character to build for PVP and PVM. Plastron being 5 Ap was quite a harsh decision from Ankama, The Masqueraders spells Usefulness is questioned, As well as their role in Group fights. We all understand that they give Life shields and are able to assist other characters whilst being able to deal damage from close and far. but it doesn't give me enough reason to even replace my Feca in the team since the masqueraders damage cant be compared with that of Iops and Ecaflips. In my opinion Masqueraders need improvement. Maybe adding a damage reduction spell so that i wouldn't need a Feca to make my shields last. that would go well with the classic mask because that is the state that a masquerader goes into when its intent is Locking? What are your thoughts on this?

-Chrono-Crusader

0 0

Giving the Zobal a damage debuff on top of their shields would be greatly overpowered when teamed up with a Feca.

A Zobal isn't really supposed to replace a Feca, but more so to serve spike damage mitigation and spike damage, control being in there also.

0 0

Ardur should last 2 turns. Why remove our tactics? My mask is 5k hp base (well 4940 but you get the point) and I love him. He is balanced, useful, and just plain awesome all around. Masks are the last class that needs to be changed other then making the level 100 spell last another turn and ardur changing back to normal.

0 0
Score : 314

I just have to give some input. Please do not change masqueraide. It's awesome, not only for bosses but for monsters. It's not uncommon that it reduce 1500 hp on normal monsters in frig 2. It's not uncommon that thanks to it I can kill two monsters in a round. As for ardour, it's ok, but I mainly try to time it with wrath etc. Then again it's cheap and I always use itsmile. However, There is almost no incentive to use any spells while in psychopath, unless you can't use CC I always use CC which deals more damage. Sometimes furia+reinforcement can be ok too. Are people ever using cowardly state?

0 0
Constiwoman|2012-08-20 11:51:27
I just have to give some input. Please do not change masqueraide. It's awesome, not only for bosses but for monsters. It's not uncommon that it reduce 1500 hp on normal monsters in frig 2. It's not uncommon that thanks to it I can kill two monsters in a round. As for ardour, it's ok, but I mainly try to time it with wrath etc. Then again it's cheap and I always use itsmile. However, There is almost no incentive to use any spells while in psychopath, unless you can't use CC I always use CC which deals more damage. Sometimes furia+reinforcement can be ok too. Are people ever using cowardly state?
as it stands, the ONLY people that benefit from masqueraide are the very top tier players. It is supposed to be usable by everyone, and what's wrong with raising the duritation. It's hurt people trying to spam cc (that's a BAD thing!?) and make things quicker to kill. Hell yes I like that. It starts when it's cast, and ends at the end of the 2nd turn of which it's cast. so the masq would have it active for 3 of his turns and everyone else, 2.

As for cowardly state, I use it a lot to escape in a bind, to use the amazing tortuga, and if i need to push things with distance. Apathy isn't bad, it's damage is ok with alot of strength, and the -mp can be a savior. However, I perfer archaic bow on him, and the range damage is just way better than coward state's can ever be, but i find use for all but picada.

i can't see why you wouldn't use the spells in psycho. I love boliche so much, especially when it lines things up for aoe. i find it very common that 4 agi weak things stand in a box to jump into, which is interesting, and then theyre locked too ^^ granted that kinda damage from icy brock hards kinda hurts w/o immunity.
0 0
Respond to this thread