FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

The Profession Systems Evolution

By MsBellOberon September 26, 2012, 19:30:59

[size=14]As we continue to discuss the present and future gameplay of Dofus, we cannot move forward without considering the role of the profession system in gameplay and the economy.

Please take some time to answer the following questions and share your opinions with us. I know there are a lot of questions, but the profession system is complex and we want to do it justice. It is possible that not all of these questions will apply to you or be something you want to answer. You absolutely do not have to constrain your feedback to these questions; if you want to share something not covered by these questions please do so.

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts; we are all working together to improve the game we love! [/size]

About you:

• If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they?
  • Do you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit?
  • Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes?
  • What type of profession-er are you? For example: I consider myself a lumberjacking tycoon; I control the that market! OR I have a farmer, baker, and alchemist; I hate spending money on consumables.
  • Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning?
  • What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled?
  • Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator?
  • How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? For example: Leveling my man-kilt crafter was difficult because it was impossible to get Whaddafeck to hold still long enough to try on a kilt.
  • Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why?

In relation to your server:
  • Are you able to readily find active professionals to fill your crafting or harvesting needs?
  • What professions, if any, do you have trouble finding?
  • Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding?
  • Are there professions that you feel are too saturated?
  • In your opinion, which profession do you feel to be the most profitable?
  • Also, which do you feel is the least profitable?

Quality of life:

• What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions? For example: custom xp bars, the crafting and co-op crafting interface, the profession listing books (runes), and the profession sheet (shorcut ‘J’).
  • What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er?

Harvesting Professions:
  • What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering? e.g. aggroing mobs while harvesting, the queue-actions system.
  • What made you choose a harvesting profession?
  • Resource Protectors - Godsend or annoyance?
  • How do you feel about harvesting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and crafting)?

Crafting Professions:
  • What made you choose a crafting profession?
  • How do you feel about crafting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and harvesting)?

Maging Professions:
  • Do you use your mage for your own personal gear or do you mage for others?
  • If you mage for others, how do you feel about the cooperative mage interface?
  • How you rate the time and resource investment in your mage/s? Why?
  • When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase? How often do you crush items?
  • How do you feel about maging professions in relation to the other two types of professions (crafting and harvesting)?

0 0
Reactions 48
Score : 960
MsBellOberon|2012-09-26 19:30:59

About you:
  • If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they? Alchemist 100, baker 100, jeweller 93/magus 100, farmer 100, and a miner in the 60s-70s
  • Do you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit? Both economic and self-sufficiency.
  • Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes? All but baker atm,
  • What type of profession-er are you? [/i]Mostly an opportunist
  • Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning? farmer and miner only.
  • What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled? As above, mostly for self-sufficiency, as well as the profits to be gained.
  • Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator? Calculator. In fact, I'll link my pet project in this thread if it's allowed as it's next release should include the mass crafting function.
  • How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? Jeweller and miner are by and far the /hardest/ professions for me to level. Both for the time component, but differently for the material aspect. Jeweller is far harder to acquire the materials for as without mass hunting it's nearly impossible to craft higher slots, relegating you to low level slots. Miner is harder to level purely because of the stupid 10 ea for ores required in alloys, on top of the rarity of certain ores, such as cobalt, dolomite, and silicate.
  • Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why? Lumberjack and miner could both use a boost, the first in giving more areas to harvest in, a sort of "Krtek's Grove" if you will. Miner simply needs the recipes to be altered on alloys, as reducing the recipe by as little as 1/2 makes them much easier to do.

Quality of life:

• What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions? Nice to have, but could be improved.
  • What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er? Mass crafting. Not what dofus has now, but a one-click button that crafts EVERYTHING at once. While this is more useful for harvesters, crafters can find a use for it with items that have static boosts (ie, gelanos, lumberjack amulets, etc).Oh, and an offline mode for crafting much like merchant mode.

Maging Professions:
  • Do you use your mage for your own personal gear or do you mage for others?Both.
  • If you mage for others, how do you feel about the cooperative mage interface?Fairly simple to use.
  • When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase? How often do you crush items?Almost always from crushing gear, very rarely will i buy runes (limited to ap/mp runes generally).
  • How do you feel about maging professions in relation to the other two types of professions (crafting and harvesting)?
It's harder to level, and the payoff is sometimes not there.

Personally, I think that the "sub-professions" of the harvesters, ie baker, fishmonger, and butcher, should be respecified as specialties of their respective harvesters. It's the one change that makes the most sense, as well as allowing characters to take on more professions.
0 0
Score : 89

This will take a while tongue

About you:

[*]If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they? I have farmer/baker 100, lumberjack/miner 74, alchemist 60, shoemaker 65, jellewer 83, bow carver 31, hammer smith 55, jellewmagus 100, shoemagus 23, hunter 84, butcher 78.
    [*]Do you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit? Sometimes, but there are times when the items won't sell in the market
  • Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes? I don't have any.
  • What type of profession-er are you? For example: I consider myself a lumberjacking tycoon; I control the that market! OR I have a farmer, baker, and alchemist; I hate spending money on consumables. I consider myself a self sufficent gathering crafter tongue
  • Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning? Yes, it'd be impossible to have all those professions with just one character.
  • What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled? Profit, being able to gather rare materials and avoid buying items for healing.
  • Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator? A little bit of both.
  • [*]How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? For example: Leveling my man-kilt crafter was difficult because it was impossible to get Whaddafeck to hold still long enough to try on a kilt. In some profession , like alchemist and farmer is easy because you can gather the items needed to level yourself and there's plenty of the rarer ones. Lumberjack and miner on the other hand are very difficult, bacause ore and wood take too much pods, and as you level the rarer materials become more and more scarce, making it very difficult to level , specially higher level woods. The crafters take a lot of materials, but at the same time it goes hand-in-hand with the level of the gatherers.
  • Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why? Maybe the lumberjack could get a boost on crafting, like adding items to craft, be it equipment or anything useful, so leveling it will be easier and worth the time invested. Miner recently got the soul stone boost so lumberjack can really use a boost too.

• Are you able to readily find active professionals to fill your crafting or harvesting needs? Yes
  • What professions, if any, do you have trouble finding? Tailors
  • Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding? Wood, specially because of the little of rare wood and the time it takes them to appear again, so one lumberjack can easily take all the rare wood of one server and leave the others just waiting , for example charm and ebony wood.
  • Are there professions that you feel are too saturated? Farmers an bakers, as they some of the easiest to level.
  • In your opinion, which profession do you feel to be the most profitable? Any crafter, specially after level 80.
  • [*]Also, which do you feel is the least profitable? Um fisherman/fishmonger, as it takes too much time and people don't use fish as healing items, and since the introduction of new equipment people dont look for the rare **** fish that made that profession profittable in the end.

Quality of life:

[*]What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions? For example: custom xp bars, the crafting and co-op crafting interface, the profession listing books (runes), and the profession sheet (shorcut ‘J’). I think it's ok.
    [*]What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er? Something that can make the specific tools to stop taking away space in the inventory and that also can be used to be able to gather or craft without switching all the time items or weapons. DoI hear toolbox?

Harvesting Professions:
    [*]What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering? e.g. aggroing mobs while harvesting, the queue-actions system.The aggroing can be a pain, or even a misclik can lead into a very long fight that wastes time and possiby make you lose the materials to another gatherer.
  • Resource Protectors - Godsend or annoyance? Godsend, hands down.
  • How do you feel about harvesting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and crafting)? I think lumberjack and miner get a little behind, as they are difficult to level, too much time consuming and the very low abundance of the higher level materials is very annoying.

Crafting Professions:
  • What made you choose a crafting profession? I had gatherers so making items with what I gathered seemed logical.
  • [*]How do you feel about crafting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and harvesting)? I think it can be difficlt in the higer levels, as it requieres rare materials that are dropped from monsters, or maybe a lot of them just too craft an item. The easiest example is a gobball headgear or a royal one, they take just too much materials for one craft. Another thing is that shoemkaer is much more difficult to level now, beacause since the dungeon system change was implemeted the mobs got smaller and people stopped running it as frecuently as it used to be, so it's more diffiult to gather the leather needed and at the same time the price of those items in the market became more expensive, and shoemaker is based on leather.

Maging Professions:
  • Do you use your mage for your own personal gear or do you mage for others? I mage my own, but I don't have problem maging items for other people.
  • If you mage for others, how do you feel about the cooperative mage interface? It can get little complicated sometimes, specially when it comes to the runes input.
  • How you rate the time and resource investment in your mage/s? Why? Hum it can bedifficult in terms of obtaining better runes(ex: Ra runes)
  • When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase? How often do you crush items? I prefer to use my own runes, but I buy the better runes so I do't have to waste a lot of time crafting and crushing items for them. I rarely crush, unless I'm running out of runes.
  • How do you feel about maging professions in relation to the other two types of professions (crafting and harvesting)? I think it's a nice addition to the crafting ones, but it can be very difficult/tricky, specially when it comes to overmaging o exomaging items, and soemtimes it can be random when losing stats.

0 0
Score : 401
  • If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they? I have every crafter at lvl 65, and every magus at lvl 100. I have a few gathers at lvl 100
  • Do you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit? Considering the decreasing costs for equipment and maging - i use them purely for crafting my gear and making runes - Also, Almost nothing sells well on the markets anymore.
  • Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes? I have runes for all of them, and i regularly turn them on, But as i charge a flat 5kk per slot + 30kk maging charge, i rarely get customers - because "OMG i can get it for 10kk!"
  • What type of profession-er are you? For example: I consider myself a lumberjacking tycoon; I control the that market! OR I have a farmer, baker, and alchemist; I hate spending money on consumables. I'm self sufficient, but very lazy
  • Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning? Yes - because of the three profession limit, you have no choice but to. (Hell, you need lumberjack and miner for most weapon crafts)
  • What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled? Interest, completionism, and because i wanted the ability to mage my own gear (from back when it was 400kk+ to mage something)
  • Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator? Calculator, and a headache. recipies are rarely mass craft friendly due to pod restrictions
  • How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? For example: Leveling my man-kilt crafter was difficult because it was impossible to get Whaddafeck to hold still long enough to try on a kilt. Far too long, Too expensive, and overall a big sink for money. (I'll cover the money at the bottom)
  • Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why? Maging XP on fails (What the hell) Tailor recipes, Shoemaker recipes, especially at the 6-7 slot level. Efficient crafts are very hard to find/farm for.

• Are you able to readily find active professionals to fill your crafting or harvesting needs? No. With the exception of shoe/costu/jewel magus - most other lvl 100 crafter/magus are hard to find.
  • What professions, if any, do you have trouble finding? Any not mentioned above - due to insane resource costs.
  • Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding? Fish (its a luck game, nothing more)
  • Are there professions that you feel are too saturated? Jeweler.
  • In your opinion, which profession do you feel to be the most profitable? Wait, You can make a profit since kolo came out? Your joking right?
  • Also, which do you feel is the least profitable? Any consumable maker - You don't need to heal anymore thanks to kolo, Who needs to buy bread.

Quality of life:

• What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions? For example: custom xp bars, the crafting and co-op crafting interface, the profession listing books (runes), and the profession sheet (shorcut ‘J’). I really like them
  • What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er? Better leveling recipes, ability to customize the location of my interface. Sink values on runes

Harvesting Professions:
  • What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering? e.g. aggroing mobs while harvesting, the queue-actions system.Agros (especially lumberjack near bonta) are deadly, especially in pods gear, the queue system is useful though.
  • What made you choose a harvesting profession? Needed materials for the other professions
  • Resource Protectors - Godsend or annoyance? they can be both sometimes - when you want fast resources at lower levels they are great, at higher levels, it depends on the profession. Miners + lumberjack? Love them. Farmer? Annoying as all hell.
  • How do you feel about harvesting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and crafting)? Time Vs Profit = Not worth it at all.

Crafting Professions:
  • What made you choose a crafting profession? Needed Gear
  • How do you feel about crafting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and harvesting)? Maging is a type of crafting, and gathering is far too slow to be profitable

Maging Professions:
  • Do you use your mage for your own personal gear or do you mage for others? I use it for both.
  • If you mage for others, how do you feel about the cooperative mage interface? Its nice, but its rather aquardly designed, its hard to flick between runes, and often glitches if you are too fast.
  • How you rate the time and resource investment in your mage/s? Why? I'll cover this below. Its not pritty.
  • When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase? How often do you crush items? Crushing and purchasing. Some runes (elemental Da runes) are difficult to get, same as AP red etc (see all frig runes) and some runes (RaVit) are a grade A pain to farm for.
  • How do you feel about maging professions in relation to the other two types of professions (crafting and harvesting)? Maging is becoming the only real way to make money anymore - Because PVP players need the best to compete.
Now. Economics and Maging.
Maging is the single worst profession you can take for any kind of profit. If we assume for the moment that you are not taking any runes from craftts you have already made (because you have sold them runes to equal out the costs from making the item in the first place) and we start using easily obtainable runes, on items appropriate to mage.

This means i will be using Fo runes (market average price is 60Kama each - which is what i will be calculating with, but you can make them from Koober belts for around 20-30kama each)
using a Fo rune, with NO FAILS, it takes 58169 runes to reach lvl 100
That works out at 3,490,140kama, or 3.5mk in runes, assuming no fails. With the maging system as it currently is, you can assume you will get between 40 and 60% fails, on a mass craft, giving a total loss in the area of around 5mk. Per magus.
current price for a jewelmagus on rosal? 10-15kk per mage.

Thats a long time to make that money back. Oh, and did i mention 90% of players will not let you mage their gear unless you are lvl 100? ( i know, i've been turned away at lvl 99 magus, even offering no charge.)

Obviously, the figures will vary from server to server.

On another note. Cooperative maging. I would like to see an interface where the person enters what stats they want on the item (eg: 50int 10 heals 10 damage 40wis 210+vit) and then the mage can work away from that point. Or failing that, an ingame notepad that crafters/mages can use, that stores information like that (see: Postit note widget). This would save SO much time from people who insist upon putting one rune in at a time, and having to scroll/remember what stats the people who don't do this wanted.
0 0
Score : 349

I know it's long, sorry about that sad! It's a big subject though and I didn't want to skimp and not do it justice.

1 0
Score : 1589
About you:

Farmer (65) /baker (96) /alchemist (75) and miner (22) /lumberjack (50) /jeweller (20)

• Do you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit?
My sacriers professtions (farmer/baker/alchemist) I chose not to make money, more-so to avoid spending money, due to the excessive amount of bread/potions I need to keep my health up.

As for the other three, I use/ am attempting to use them for money gain.

• What type of profession-er are you? For example: I consider myself a lumberjacking tycoon; I control the that market! OR I have a farmer, baker, and alchemist; I hate spending money on consumables.
I’d place myself more in the second type, I dislike spending money on consumables when I can make them/ get them, for free.[/b]

No

Baker/miner/alchemist I made in order to avoid spending money on recalls potions and bread.

Lumberjack/miner is because I find gathering professions good time fillers for when I’m waiting for a kolo/activity to come up. I joined the jeweller on as a side-thought to perhaps making some money.

Pen and paper please!

• How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? For example: Leveling my man-kilt crafter was difficult because it was impossible to get Whaddafeck to hold still long enough to try on a kilt.
Baker ultimately is the easier profession to level, and high levels can be reached with ease. However, I find the bread and other health-giving-food profession not incredibly useful as a money source, as people don't tend to stray from the usual cereal/whole-wheat bread, and thus 90% of the recopies are left untouched. So I’d say firstly, that there is hardly any time investment needed to be a baker, however whatever you do invest it is worthwhile, even just to avoid wasting money.

Alchemist I find is a useful and worthwhile profession for levelling, especially for energy potions within the higher end of the levels. However, I often find myself not being bothered to run around to the cluster of three freyesque orchid’s around the Masq temple, then running off to koalak mountain, then off the the gobball corner… In short, it can be time consuming, and a pain in the ass, to collect the materials needed for some of the recipes, and I avoid trying to collect them. (However, the guardian/protectors of the gathering materials are priceless for this, and I’m grateful for their bags of 50!) Overall, I find it not particularly useful money wise, as the money-making recipes are just too time consuming. Apart from avoiding buying recall potions, I have no other use for this profession.

Farmer profession is another easy one to level, and if you spam lots of 100x cereal, or flour, it can bring in an small but steady income. Or paired with a baker, it’s easy to avoid spending money. It is an easy profession, and a basic one that can be embraced by any new-comer to Dofus. I think it is a key profession within the game, as it is easy, and useful on several levels.

Miner and lumberjack for me fall relatively into the same category. Both are difficult to level, miner slightly more-so than lumberjack. The pods they take up make it difficult to collect enough of any material combination to craft things at a decent levelling pace. The slow respawn time of ores and trees is also frustrating when whole forest/mine can be cleaned out within a matter of minutes (especially if higher levels come through). I think the scarcity of the materials paired with the long recovery time is definitely the downfall of these professions, and I’m often found to be stuck in “mine rage” when people get pretty abusive over the fact that I would like to get some iron. But then again, I am left to think that this downfall also helps the value of the produce of these profession stay at a reasonable level, as if Bamboo wood was as easy to get to as wheat, the prices would be just as pathetic. Within these professions, then, it is a love-hate relationship. The difficulty levelling deters many people from the profession, and the slowness of gathering and high-pods needed reduces the ability to spam the produce. It is a worthwhile profession, but I doubt anyone will ever stop complaining about the time it takes.

I don’t think I’ve had enough experience to speak much about the jeweller profession, however I find it disappointing that at the lower-level bracket, that there really isn’t any money in it. With the removal of the trade-in for scrolls, it has lost one of its key ways to make money. The most use a low-level jeweller can perhaps have money wise, is through shattering the items in order to sell the runes. It’s time consuming to collect the materials, and with minimal benefit to the crafter until higher levels. In other words, the runes are worth more then the actual item.

• Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why?
There are flaws within all the professions. Such as the miner and lumberjack, which are exhaustingly time consuming. However, as I stated, the time needed also allows the worth of produce to stay high.

So no, I would prefer things to stay as they were, as my state of mind is ‘If it’s not broken don’t try to fix it’. The professions I partake in may be slow, frustrating, and several other things, but they aren’t broken.

• Are you able to readily find active professionals to fill your crafting or harvesting needs?
It is incredibly difficult to find crafters within Shika. However, the Australian time zone paired with a low-ish population probably doesn’t help much.

Crafters, tailer/shoemaker/shield smith etc.

• Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding?
Not trouble finding, as Dofus Wiki is fantastic, however, finding decent amounts is the issue. I’m not a fan of running all over Madrestdam Harbour just to collect 50 Eidelweiss, if I’m lucky.

Farmer/baker. Being the easiest to level brings in a lot of people.

Out of the ones I use, lumberjack is.

Farmer.

Quality of life:

• What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions? For example: custom xp bars, the crafting and co-op crafting interface, the profession listing books (runes), and the profession sheet (shorcut ‘J’).
Fantastic, I think the profession interfaces are great. I shout out my love for the queue ability to everyone who would care to listen. THANK YOU ANKAMA!

• What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er?
Perhaps the guardians/protectors could drop xp scrolls for the professions? (I don’t know what the crafting-related profession would get- perhaps a wild scroll can appear during crafting?)

Harvesting Professions:

• What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering? e.g. aggroing mobs while harvesting, the queue-actions system.
Stopping monsters from walking on the fields has been great, however for things such as lumberjack, I constantly get aggroed by surrounding mobs. (and I don’t mean I’m getting aggroed by the chafers around bonta forest, I mean by jellies, boars, piggies- which are non-aggroing monsters from my knowledge)

The queue system is wonderful; I especially love removal of the 15-possible queues with the last update.

[b]They’re easy, simple, and good ways to pass the time.

Great for materials hard to collect (wood, ores, alchemist flowers), annoying for farmers, which have abundant amounts of cereals.

• How do you feel about harvesting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and crafting)?
Generally a lower income, but easier to craft/collect, or simpler at the least. Therefore it makes sense they produce smaller amounts of income.

Crafting Professions:

I had a lumberjack/miner, and felt I needed to fill the third slot with something that could perhaps combine them both.

• How do you feel about crafting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and harvesting)?
Harder to level, harder to collect mats, but more money for the higher levels

0 0
Score : 5025
About you: If you have professions, which do you have and what level are theyDo you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit?Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes?What type of profession-er are you? For example: I consider myself a lumberjacking tycoon; I control the that market! OR I have a farmer, baker, and alchemist; I hate spending money on consumables.Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning?What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled?Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator?How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? For example: Leveling my man-kilt crafter was difficult because it was impossible to get Whaddafeck to hold still long enough to try on a kilt.Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why?
I got Hunter / Butcher lv100, alchemist lv64, lumberjack lv40, fisherman lv70 ish, fishmonger lv 80 ish, bow carver lv38 and jeweller lv7X ( no magus yet ).
I use my hunter / butcher to make some kamas because meats give a lot of +hp so they sell nicely and for a good price.
I got jeweller and wandcarver for runes and I basicly crush everything I make that's below lv130.
I prefer my hunter/butcher and kill all animals I see for their meat ( they're gonna be extinct soon x) )
Yep I use my alts as I can't possibly have 8 proffesions on 1 character.
I always tried picking the proffesions that can generate enough kamas to get me 10mk + a week when using them for kama making.
Calculator of course but sometimes I just use my head.
The longest ones are lumberjack, miner and fisherman because people can take your trees/ ores/ fish.
Yes I think the gathering proffesions ( the ones I mentioned above ) could do with a wee lil' boost so it'll be faster to level them.
0 0
Score : 2951
About you:

At level 100: Alchemist, Tailor, Tailormagus, Shoemaker, Shoemagus, Miner, Daggersmith, Daggersmithmagus, Fisherman, Fishmonger, Handyman, Shieldsmith
At level 78: Lumberjack
(zzzzzzzzz)

The original purpose was always self sufficiency for myself and my Guild, but I do use them for economic gain too, of course.

• Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes?
I made profession runes once I had 5 professions at level 100, and got into the habit of turning them on upon logging into the game. Based on discussions with people, I soon realized that it is more effective to ask around for a lvl xx (insert profession name), rather than referring to the profession reference book in the workshop as not many players actually use profession runes.
I can say it's been a few years since I turned my profession runes on, but that has had no impact on the number of PMs I receive requesting my services.

I'm the type of profession-er that tries to be as self sufficient as possible. I level the professions I believe will be beneficial to me, my team and my Guild.

I do, but I use more alts for breeding purposes than I do for professions. I'm just waiting for when the restriction of "3 professions - 3 especializations" is removed before I level any other professions, as I'm not a fan of having to log alts on the same account just for a few crafts.

Alchemist - Starting of, I wanted to limit the amount of kamas I needed to spend, and being able to craft healing potions as well as teleportation pots seemed like a good starting point.
Tailor + Shoemaker - The demand was a lot higher than the supply, the crafting prices were ridiculous, and I was naive enough to think that I would never get sick of Boars or Kitsous.
Shieldsmith - Back then I used to PvP, and the market was dominated by Tahoo, who'd charge ridiculous amounts of money per craft. I wanted to PvP and save my money for the Guild, so... meet "Chayzita".
Daggersmith - This boiled down to daggers being my favourite PvP weapon back in the day.
Fisherman + Fishmonger - Sucker Set. Sad but true.
Handyman - Breeding items.
Miner and Lumberjack - The basis of any profession and they make my life easier for Breeding items.
Magus professions - Aside from the slightly demented part where I absolutely love maging, not having the option to improve the stats of items I would craft didn't make sense to me.

Pen and paper.

Personally, I will have to say the issue has more to do with my motivation to level professions rather than time and resource availability. But being a hoarder since my first day on Dofus had a huge positive impact on the leveling of my professions.
Whenever I level a crafting profession, I focus my time and resource investment on efficiency and potential rune results.
While Tailor had me living on Pandala for some time, it gave me enough Ra Vi runes to keep me coming back, Shoemaker allowed me to alternate between mining for Adelus belts or getting MP runes from crafting DP mules (thanks to farming DP and going through a primitive cemetery phase a long time ago). Perhaps they weren't the quickest options to level the professions, but the side product was rewarding enough for me.

For Handyman and Shieldsmith, I couldn't really apply the same process: all I could do was maximize my resources as much as possible since there wasn't really a side product that appealed to me (how I dreamed to be able to crush those shields for res runes...).

Fisherman - While the frequency of fighting devourers is a lot higher in this profession than any other, it is still a difficult profession to level: one is not guaranteed a fish per rod throw. No fish? No XP.
Personally, it took me 100 levels of Fisherman on my Enuette to gather enough rare fish for my Sucker Set and Inky Veil and I am still living off the fish she gathered along the way (ahhh the luck factor).
It would have been quicker and easier for me to make the money and buy the fish rather than trying my own luck, but for whatever reason I really wanted to level the profession at the time, as I felt the outcome was worth my while. The fact remains that Sucker Set is no longer a set in high demand as it once was, which in my opinion removed the appeal of the profession.

With bread and meat available on the markets (easier to craft and cheaper to buy), selling the fish doesn't seem to be a viable option to make this profession a profitable one, and my hopes that Frigost gear would incorporate rare fish (and meat, for that matter... would have loved to see that happening) were just a dream that never came true.

Yes. But I must admit that my crafting needs that I cannot meet with my own professions or with my team partner's ones are small... and subsequently met by reaching out to 2 or 3 people in my FL.

That I need, none.

Shieldsmith and Alchemist are extremely profitable for me on my server.

Fisherman.

Quality of life:

I'm personally quite happy with them. It's come a long way and while I am sure there could be some improvements, I must admit none come to mind at the moment.

Ahhh I heard somebody mention a toolbox....

Harvesting Professions:
Nuisances:
  1. Aggroing mobs (Chafer Invasion ... aren't Trools enough?)
  2. Mobs I aggro accidently, when I queue an action and my character ends up on their tile (crabs, boars... off with their heads)
  3. Scarcity of some resources, requiring more travel than I'd care for, for little gain (be it due to the rarity of the resource itself, or the demand being much higher than the supply)
  4. Miner carts sending me to the same mine time and time again
  5. "Oh, Fire Pandala is Brak again. Bugger."
  6. Bots lagging my map
Godsends
  1. The queue-action system
  2. Resource Protectors
  3. Pod trophies

• As previously mentioned, I wanted to limit the amount of kamas I'd spend and then wanted to find ways to make profit. Harvesting professions were the way that suited me best at the time.
  • [*]
    A godsend. [*]
    Based on the professions I have leveled, I feel they are great start-off professions, and generally the easier ones to level (allow me to exclude LJ).
    They have served me well and still provide me with a very reasonable income for the amount of effort I put into them. They are the basis of my profession chains: I heavily rely on them for the crafts I need on an ongoing basis, be it for breeding purposes or soulstones and trophies.
    [*]

Crafting Professions: [*]
    The need for equipment, runes and breeding items. It was more beneficial for me to have the professions rather than continuously paying others for crafts or even the equipment.[*]
    They sure are harder to level than gathering profession, but they do provide more benefits for me: they allow me to crafts my equips as well as obtaining the runes I need for maging, and let's not forget my beautiful breeding items.[*]

Maging Professions: [*]
    Both. [*]
    I understand that Ankama wants to enhance player interactions as much as possible, one of the reason for removing the option to allow the customer to do the maging himself. However, when maging for others, it can be difficult to do it in a time efficient manner (as some players prefer to dictate the order of runes to be used, instead of trusting the magus).[*]
    Well, I believe it's all down to how much you really want that particular customisation and how picky you are with the stats of an equipment. I personally feel quite comfortable maging, but I am aware that I can't have my cake and eat it: for example, if I want 5 off the max elemental stats/PP/power, with perfect damages/crits/res/range/summons/dodge/lock/MPRed/younameit, as well as overmaged vit, chances are I better have a nice stock of runes and no plans for the next hour or so.[*]
    • When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase? How often do you crush items?
    While my runes are the result of my own crafting and crushing, the only time that I buy runes is when I am in the middle of a set maging session and I ran out of a particular type of rune, which is a rare occasion. I crush runes regularly enough, as I like having a constant stock of runes to cover any possible maging need my team might have, or even to help out guildmates to improve their sets.[*]
    All professions requite patience, time and dedication.
    Gathering professions require pure grinding, crafting professions require grinding, planning and some calculations. Maging professions might be "easy" to level to 100, but the actual knowledge to master and profit from its functionality takes some time to get used to. There is more to learn when it comes to maging than there is on the other professions: be it sinks, rune powers, probabilities, you name it.

As a standalone, maging can be extremely profitable.
    I know there is some controversy surrounding the lack of magus players willing to offer their services to their server, beyond guildies and friends, but I can understand that 2 hours to mage an end game item to their personal requirements is not worth 50-100kk to the magus (symbolic price).
    Don't take me wrong, people are free to charge what they wish and others only get involved in the exchange of services if they want to, but I think there is a general misunderstanding when it comes to how much time and effort goes into acquiring maging knowledge.

0 0
    Score : 1693

Regarding the limited profession slots some of you brought up:
    BillFR touched on this in one of the "Letters to the devs" videos. You can read a transcript here.

The relevant bit was:

Question: Will it be possible to purchase additional profession slots via Ogrines? [...]
    BillFR: We haven't considered the possibility of allowing the purchase of additional profession slots via Ogrines, however we are thinking about removing the "3 professions + 3 specialisations" restriction in order to give players 6 free slots. This is something that could come in a near future, but we certainly are not thinking about an Ogrine service for the purchase of additional profession slots.
    [...]

0 0
    Score : 960
    Frunupulax|2012-09-27 12:44:28
    Regarding the limited profession slots some of you brought up:
    BillFR touched on this in one of the "Letters to the devs" videos. You can read a transcript here.

The relevant bit was:

Question: Will it be possible to purchase additional profession slots via Ogrines? [...]
    BillFR: We haven't considered the possibility of allowing the purchase of additional profession slots via Ogrines, however we are thinking about removing the "3 professions + 3 specialisations" restriction in order to give players 6 free slots. This is something that could come in a near future, but we certainly are not thinking about an Ogrine service for the purchase of additional profession slots.
    [...]

This is probably one of the better bits of news regarding professions in a while. Only one of my characters has a specialization learned, leaving me with 5 slots empty on them.
    0 0
    Score : -22
    About you:

If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they?
    Short answer: All.
    Long answer: Lumberjack* 100, Miner* 100, Alchemist* 100, Hunter* 100, Farmer* 100, Fisherman 40, Fishmonger 100, Butcher 100, Baker* 100, Shoemaker* 100/100, Tailor* 100/100, Jeweller* 100/100, Bowcarver* 100/100, Staffcarver 82/xx, Wandcarver 73/xx, Swordsmith 100/100, Axesmith 97/xx, Daggersmith 71/23, Hammersmith* 100/100, Shovelsmith* 100/100, Shieldsmith 62, Handyman 100
    - the second number is the level of the mage
    - xx means I can't remember
    - * means that I level the profession a second or third time

Do you use your professions for economic gain?
    I use professions
    - for profit
    - to have something to do ingame aside of fighting
    - to have a use for all the resources that stacked in my bank account after years of playing
    - to craft items for myself (especially items that aren't available at the markets)

Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes?
    I have runes for every profession, but I very rarely turn them on. The profs are spread among low level chars which I don't really play. I log them only when I want to craft something, which usually takes just a few minutes. Turning a profession rune on for the three minutes that the crafter is online isn't really helpful.
    Another reason why I don't turn on the runes (instead I try to hide from potential customers) are the experiences I have made: Once you are a well-known crafter/mage people message you all day long with requests. If you want to fulfill them all then you are busy 24 hours a day... Quite annoying. That's why I prefer to stay unknown and craft just for friends and guildies. However, in case I see someone standing in a workshop I usually ask if he needs service.
    When I craft or mage something for somebody I always craft for free, btw.

What type of profession-er are you?
    I try to be prepared for whatever comes. I seriously doubt that I ever need 99% of the items that I can craft - but just in case I do need a certain item one day I want to be able to craft it myself. It's a kind of self-made man attitude.

Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning?
    Yes, of course. I enlarged my account to 10 chars, only for the professions. And I have an old account, which I don't really play anymore, but that has neat professions as well (which I still use sometimes).

What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled?
    In the beginning I wanted to be able to fulfill my own needs, as that seems to be pretty handy. Making kamas was another reason, of course. Later on I took professions because that seems to be the only use for all the stuff that I drop. In the end I took the remaining profession just to have them all.

Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator?
    I do the calculations in my head. The math is easy and the results don't have to be exact, so it's no big deal.

How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why?
    Hard to tell. My main char has three resource collector professions for a reason: He can pick any resource that he passes by during his normal playing. So the harvestable resources stack up in bank without spending extra time for harvesting (at least it doesn't feel like I am spending extra time). As for the invested kamas: Most of the time I try to craft items that I can produce 'out of the bank' or that are worth more than the resources I have to buy. But when I get too impatient I also buy resources (especially ores, as I am too lazy to mine them myself). I already wear my endset, so I have no real use for kamas anymore. That's why I don't mind to spend some mk on resources sometimes, just to raise another crafter to level 100.

Are there professions that you think could do with a little boost? If so, which ones and why?
    Definitely the fisherman. I don't mind that it takes a long time to catch a fish, but I do mind that fishes barely have any use. Professions like bowcarver or shovelsmith could use a boost as well. I see very few of these weapons in the sellrooms/merchants, which indicates that there is no demand for them. In fact I never bothered even trying to sell bows or shovels, I just throw the whole production into the runecrusher immediately. On the other hand those two are easy to level, so it's no real loss. Currently I'm thinking about raising a third bowcarver to 100, just to get more pods.
    In general I think that every profession is easy - as long as you are patient. Some takes more time to collect the necessary resources for a craft than others, but that's perfectly all right. What bugs me is that you are bound to craft tenthousands of items that have absolutely no use. It starts at level one, when you craft piwi hats or whatever. Heck, nobody on the whole server buys piwi hats. You learn pretty fast that the only thing you can do with your products is to trash them. Which you will probably do with 95% of your production. That's a real waste.

Are you able to readily find active professionals to fill your crafting or harvesting needs?
    I very rarely need to find one, but if I do I have no problem. I know a bunch of people with similar minds, as well as a lot of players with 'just' one profession on high level. It is common practice among crafters to offer free service to each other (when I craft something for somebody he usually leaves with a sentence like 'if you ever need an xyz-smith just call me').

What professions, if any, do you have trouble finding?
    None.

Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding?
    No, not on my server (Aermine). In fact it feels more like some resources are not scarce enough. For example elm trees - whenever I pass an elm tree it is still there, waiting to be chopped. As if nobody on earth cares about them.
    Of course the elm may be an exception. It also happens that other resources are already taken when I want to harvest them, but in that case I just leave and come back later to get them. Problem solved. After all it is really no big deal to get everything you want, as long as you don't want it 'right now'.

Are there professions that you feel are too saturated?
    I don't see other professionals as competitors, so I can't tell if there are 'too many' of them. But in general I am under the impression that a single crafter has to produce so many items if he wants to reach level 100 that he could satisfy the needs of 1/3 of a server. From that point of view you can say that every profession that is taken by more than 3 people is too saturated.

In your opinion, which profession do you feel to be the most profitable?
    Again, it's hard to tell. I think that you can make enough kamas with every profession (but fisherman), even on low levels. If it's just for profit there is actually no real need to level a profession.
    Let's take shoemaker as an example. One of the most simple recipe are the intelligent sandals, consisting of walnut wood and gobbal leather. You can buy the resources for a pair of sandals for roughly 100 kama, and when you crush them you get 300 kama worth of runes (I have tested this with 100 pairs of sandals yesterday). Which means that you have tripled you money. Not shabby, eh? Sure, I know that most players are looking for a way to get a wheelbarrow full of kamas in no time - and in most cases I see those players struggle with poverty during their whole dofus life... That's why I choose to take my time and care about the simple things to make profit. Money just flows in with ease this way, believe me.

Also, which do you feel is the least profitable?
    Maybe the fisherman? I think that nobody needs/buys fish, except for a few players that wants to raise an intelligent Bow Meow (or something similar). I don't see a way to make a living as fisherman. But on the other hand I haven't ever tried to.

Quality of life:

What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions?
    In my opinion all the things you mentioned are handy. I don't really miss anything.

What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er?
    My only wish would be that the recipe list in the profession tab becomes a bit improved: Currently you see which resources are needed to craft an item, but you can't see the usual stats of the resulting item. Which makes it annoying to figure out which items/recipes suits your needs. I always consult the wiki to decide what I craft.

Harvesting Professions:

What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering?
    I was really surprised when I heard that they extended the action-queue. Sure, I use it myself, especially for the farmer. But clicking on every cereal on a map and then going afk just feels wrong. The enlarged queue - well, it is like the developers wanted to tell you: 'this game is not exciting. just click it to background and don't bother with playing'. Of course I agree that there are more interesting things than watching your character harvesting one wheat in 5 seconds, over and over again. But driving the player away from the game he wants to play for several minutes seems... bizarre to me. I am sure the guys from the development team can come up with a better solution.
    Another thing I'd like to add is that the little troubles with professions are often the only reason that keeps players from raising a profession in a rush. The (boring) time that is needed for farming is one example. Another example are the endless runs between bank and workshop to masscraft things. If it weren't so bothersome I surely had more profession on level 100 by now.

What made you choose a harvesting profession?
    I took the harvesting profession to be prepared for the crafting professions. No other reason. I have started crafting when I reached level 100 as lumberjack and miner, so I had a nice pile of resources for a quickstart (never sold anything of what I have harvested, just stacked it all in the bank).

Resource Protectors - Godsend or annoyance?
    They are nice for low level resource gatherers. For high levels they are a disturbance most of the time. All in all I think they are perfectly okay.

How do you feel about harvesting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and crafting)?
    You can harvest things wherever you go; when you pass by a flower/cereal/whatever you can just pick it. Or you can dedicate some time to go to a forest and calmly gather wood. Harvesting is kind of relaxing. And you always make profit with it (unlike mages and crafters).

Crafting Professions:

What made you choose a crafting profession?
    As said before, I want to be able to craft my own gears and I wanted to have a use for all the drops I got. Later on it became a personal longtime goal to reach level 100 in every profession.

How do you feel about crafting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and harvesting)?
    Crafting consists mainly of running around between the bank, the workshop and the sellrooms. It is all about burning resources. It's neither really interesting nor really challenging. It's more like a thing that you do now and then when you got bored by everything else. When you are patient you make some kamas from crafting, when you are impatient you just spend tons of kamas. A real drawback is the fact that you craft just for the trashcan most of the time, because nobody on earth has a use for all your products. Furthermore people tend to craft just a very few different recipes (either easy recipes for leveling or popular recipes for selling), which makes roughly 80% of all recipes dispensable - nobody crafts them anyways. On the other hand, players that are looking for unpopular items are on their own. Their only chance to get it is to hire a crafter, which will probably be too much effort and investment. So they decide to just get along with the common items (that everybody and their moms uses) most of the time. That's another problem worth to be dealing with.

Maging Professions:

Do you use your mage for your own personal gear or do you mage for others?
    Neither nor. I hate maging. When I started my first mage some years ago I spend a lot of time 'studying the secrets of maging'. But I considered it too time consuming to properly mage an item. Furthermore I found it annoying that most customers came with great expectations but just a fistful of runes...
    Nowadays I level the mages just to complete my collection of professions. And it also gives nice pods when you reach level 100 smile
    To level a mage I just let runes flow onto an item. It's a boring but easy task, takes roughly three hours to reach level 100. I forgot almost everything about proper maging by now, but I don't consider it as a loss. There is no real need to be a good mage - just pump wisdom, strength or vitality on an item and you find enough customers who pay high prices. Too many people just don't care about other stats. And they surely don't pay enough for the time and runes that are necessary to make an item with really good stats.

If you mage for others, how do you feel about the cooperative mage interface?
    It is quite good, I have no complaints. The only improvement I can think of right now is that the runes could be sorted by level and type. Oh wait, it would also be very handy if you have a chance to peek at the usual stats of the item you are currently maging.

How you rate the time and resource investment in your mage/s? Why?
    As said, I level a mage the easy way. Takes three hours, which is surely not too much. As for the runes - I don't care. Thanks to all the crafting and crushing I have tons of runes at the bank (for some of the simple types it's more than 100,000 runes of a kind). I guess there is no chance that I ever use them all anyways.

When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase? How often do you crush items?
    I don't mage my own equipment. When I want to have a good piece of gear I just buy a ready maged item. Saves me a lot of time and anger.
    Aside of that I don't buy runes but produce them all by myself.

How do you feel about maging professions in relation to the other two types of professions (crafting and harvesting)?
    - maging professions are most easy to level, but most annoying to use
    - raising a mage is a quick way to get more pods
    - I use mages only to polish the items I craft a bit, so I can make more profit
    - after all I treat mages as a nice add-on. nothing more.

Some additional comments about professions:
    • In general I think that professions should become harder. There is definitely no need that everybody becomes a level 100 professional (let alone to reach this goal in a short time) and craft for his own needs. But that is exactly what a hell of a lot of people do. As stated somewhere above, it feels like a single crafter has to produce enough items to fulfill the needs of 30% of a server if he wants to reach level 100. When there are more than three crafters on a server they obviously have to produce gears just for the trashcan. Which is a pity.
    • The Amount of resources needed for a recipe should be raised (and also the experience that you get for crafting the recipe). I mean - currently people craft 10 pieces of gear to sell one and chuck the rest, because there is no demand for all the gears. If the amount of resources is raised 10 times then they craft just one gear with the same resources and chuck nothing. Which makes much more sense. And it keeps long time players like me from stacking millions of runes. ^^
    • The variance in crop between low and high level resource gatherers is amazing large. A level 1 lumberjack can harvest a theoretical maximum of 10 pieces of ashwood per minute. A level 100 lumberjack on the other hand can get 810 pieces of ashwood in the same time. Feels like low level gatherers have a hard time to earn a living with their profession. Maybe the gap between low and highlevels could be reduced a bit?
    • In the german forum there was the idea to introduce a kind of eternal harvest for craftings. To cut it short: if you deliver every craftable hat (or whatever) to an npc you receive the hat of a quest-exclusive set of living items. This idea got very little but very positive feedback. Personaly I like it. smile
    • With the only exception of alchemist it seems that all professions have just recipes that are related to fighting. Personaly I'd like to see more recipes that aren't made for fights.
    • Raising a profession to level 100 isn't challenging anymore once you are highlevel and found your sources of income. So why not giving crafters extraordinary hard nine-slot-recipes? I mean recipes that you craft just once in your lifetime. For example tailors could sew captive balloons from 3000 crocodyle skins, or handymen could craft carts for mounts from 1000 elm planks. Something like this. The recipes should be more or less just for fun, not for breathtaking benefits for the few who got such an item.
    • [*] I am not sure if Ankama considers Dofus as roleplaying game, but in case they do I'd like to see the professions bound to the stats of a player. I mean - when I hear the word 'alchemist' I always think about somebody who looks like Dumbledore and spends his lifetime on reading books. It's just cliches, I know, but they are a vital point in roleplaying. What bothers me is that in Dofus an alchemist doesn't have to be intelligent, a smith doesn't have to be strong and a hunter doesn't have to be agile. It all seems to be out of place. That's why I'd like to bind the profession levels to the stats. If you want to become a highlevel hunter you need to have a lot of points in agility. Easy as that.
      I have to admit that I haven't really though much about the consequences of this conditions, but at least from the roleplaying point of view it sounds reasonable.[*]
      Digitized|2012-09-26 20:00:10
      Personally, I think that the "sub-professions" of the harvesters, ie baker, fishmonger, and butcher, should be respecified as specialties of their respective harvesters. It's the one change that makes the most sense, as well as allowing characters to take on more professions.

I totally agree with this idea. It is so simple, smart and obvious that I wonder why Ankama hasn't done it already.

And a note to Pyro:
    It looks like it escaped your notice that you get more mage xp when you use runes on higher level items. So if you don't mind to train your mage on expensive gears then you just need roughly 8,000 Fo Runes to reach magelevel 100. And this number can be reduced even more when you use better runes than simple Fo.

0 0
    Score : 401

It looks like it escaped your notice that you get more mage xp when you use runes on higher level items. So if you don't mind to train your mage on expensive gears then you just need roughly 8,000 Fo Runes to reach magelevel 100. And this number can be reduced even more when you use better runes than simple Fo.
    This is correct, But also costs you the value of the higher level item, Several times, as you move up in level, and Fo runes are the easiest to acquire in game at minimal expense. (not everyone has millions stacked in their bank).

That aside, The calculations are one i did for a friend who wanted to work out exactly what the cost was to use comparative to crafting, (the calculations make more sense in its original context, my apologies) - but i thought that it was a fair analysis to put up here.

BillFR's post actually made me wince. If people did not have to level crafters to gain the magus, then we would have an extreme excess of mages, due to how comparatively easy it is to level them.

I must +1 that eternal harvest idea though, Gives me a reason to finish getting lvl 100.

Also, Observation on item levels, Lvl 1-100 items are all 6 slot or less, 100-120 are usually 7 slot, and almost everything else is 8slot. That means lvl 100 professions are required for nearly half the equipment in the game. Puts a lot of pressure on leveling the profession if you want to make your own gear.
    0 0
    Score : 2679
    Hinairusu|2012-09-28 00:37:46
    BillFR's post actually made me wince. If people did not have to level crafters to gain the magus, then we would have an extreme excess of mages, due to how comparatively easy it is to level them.
    I wouldn't say that's the intention. In all likelihood, the requirements would remain exactly the same. The major change would be going from having 3 profession slots and 3 specialization slots to just having 6 profession slots.

Say, for example, someone picks up the Miner/LJ/Jeweler combination, and later picks up Jewelmagus. That would be 4 slots (3 professions, 1 specialization). After implementing BillFR's suggested system, they could pick up 2 other professions to fill those slots, e.g. Weapon Smith/Magus, or Handyman and Shield Smith.
    0 0
    Score : 4519
    About you:
      [*]If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they?
      Hunter, Butcher, Fisherman, Fishmonger, Miner, Alchemist, and Farmer at level 100; Lumberjack and Handyman at level 20s.[*]Do you use your professions for economic gain? i.e. Are your professions to make money or for some other benefit?
      I mostly use professions to save money. For example, I make meat and fish to feed myself, and I spent time catching most of the rare fish needed for my Kralomansion and Inky Veil.[*]Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes?
      I have runes for Hunter, Fisherman, and Miner, but I've stopped turning them on since a long time ago. These professions are not in high demand at all, and it's just too much trouble to double click the runes on each connection.[*]What type of profession-er are you? For example: I consider myself a lumberjacking tycoon; I control the that market! OR I have a farmer, baker, and alchemist; I hate spending money on consumables.
      After leveling professions, I only use them occasionally to provide whatever I need myself. I don't sell resources very often.[*]Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning?
      I have only one account, and have my professions distributed on different characters.[*]What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled?
      I chose gathering professions because they are cheaper to start.[*]Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator?
      I used to use a calculator and spreadsheets to figure out how many items I need for mass crafting, but nowadays I just craft in smaller amounts and leave extra ingredients in the inventory.[*]How you rate the time and resource investment in your profession/s? Why? For example: Leveling my man-kilt crafter was difficult because it was impossible to get Whaddafeck to hold still long enough to try on a kilt.
      I spent a lot of time on the professions I have, but I think it was worth it. It kept me interested in the game, and saved me a lot of kamas.

[*]Are you able to readily find active professionals to fill your crafting or harvesting needs?
      It's usually hard to find a crafter when I need to make equipment. I feel most crafters are only willing to craft for friends and guildies now.[*]What professions, if any, do you have trouble finding?
      Equipment crafting professions.[*]Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding?
      Sometimes I find wood and ore resources exhausted, but usually it just takes a little time.[*]Are there professions that you feel are too saturated?
      I think the gathering professions are probably all saturated, but it takes extra time to gather and craft with the resources, so it's still possible to profit from them. I don't know much about crafting professions; I feel crafters are hard to find, but maybe they are just not willing to make themselves available.[*]In your opinion, which profession do you feel to be the most profitable?
      This is hard to answer considering different professions require different amount of kamas or time investment to level. Once leveled, a crafting profession is probably profitable since you can receive tips, but gathering professions require much lower investment. Out of the professions I have, I think miner is most profitable thanks to soulstone recipes.[*]Also, which do you feel is the least profitable?
      Out of the professions I have, I think hunter is least profitable. You can either hunt lower level monsters which are boring, and face competition with breads which are much easier to mass produce, or you can hunt Frigost meat which takes a lot of time, have low drop rates, and require resources from other professions like Snowdrop, Frosteez and Aspen.

Quality of life:

[*]What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions? For example: custom xp bars, the crafting and co-op crafting interface, the profession listing books (runes), and the profession sheet (shorcut ‘J’).
      Everything you mentioned is very helpful.
      • Provide an option to automatically list your professions, so you show up in the book as soon as you login.
      • Automatically get items from bank or purchase from NPC, at the quantity needed for your recipes.
      • Allow you to place persistent markers on the map, to remind yourself where to find specific cereals etc.

Harvesting Professions:
      [*]What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering? e.g. aggroing mobs while harvesting, the queue-actions system.
      The queue-action system, new scenery and background music makes gathering less tedious, and I'm thankful for those. Accidentally attacking mobs when gathering is a huge annoyance. Some profession resources such as trees and cereals are much easier to access for Bontarians than Brakmarians, and I find that unfair.[*]What made you choose a harvesting profession?
      To make my game experience more diverse.[*]Resource Protectors - Godsend or annoyance?
      Most of the time, protectors are very helpful. If you are gathering, you are after the resources, and even at level 100, you can't really gather faster than protectors give you resources. I think the only exception is fishing. You can't predict what type of fish protectors you get, and the rare versions of most types of fish are useless. And you also can't make use of large amounts of fish other than gutting for XP at very low levels or feeding it to dragoturkeys or pets.[*]How do you feel about harvesting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and crafting)?
      Harvesting professions are easier to level, but you have to constantly put time into them to use them. Crafting and maging take longer and more kamas to level, but after being fully leveled you can enjoy the rewards without as much time investment.
    0 0
    Score : 3209

About you:
    All existing professions, all level 100
    I do not make money with professions nowadays, but I used to. As it is now professions allow me to save time and money: I do not have to look for a crafter and I can improve any item the way I want it and when I want it.
    I have all runes, but never use them. I have no time for crafting services.
    Self-sufficiency is my motto. Professions allow not to depend on others.
    It's not possible to have all professions not only on one character, but also on one account, so I have to use alts.
    • What was your reason for choosing the professions you levelled?
    I do not want to spend a lot of time looking for a crafter. And I want to be responsible for my maging.
    I had a set of spreadsheets with quite complex calculators for all my professions (pods, number of crafts, various recipes, XP gain, and so on).
    I would say that I would prefer less mindless crafting and mechanical activity for levelling professions.
    Hunter/butcher, fisherman, bow carver could have better and more useful recipes.

Does not apply to me.
    Does not apply to me.
    Any droppable resource is a pain when it comes to mass crafting.
    Ore veins could better correspond to existing recipes and reality (i.e. more Cobalt and Manganese).
    I have no idea, since I do not look for crafters.
    Equipment crafting and maging combos seem to be the most profitable, although it also depends on the access to resources.
    Fisherman since the release of Frigost.
    Quality of life:

Professions interface is not that bad. Although it would be nice if hidden recipes were added to the recipe books once they are crafted.
    Sellrooms log: what was sold and when, prices of sold goods, price trends, etc.;
    Maging log: basically a log of a maging session.

Harvesting Professions:
    Some resources are hardly or not at all accessible, because other clickable items intercept the click.
    Harvesting professions are the only ones obtainable in Incarnam. I also had to collect resources for levelling my crafting professions.
    Both. It is nice to have them when one is collecting rare resources, but they can be annoying when collecting bronze or wheat.
    Good for beginners, but can't support a high level character.

Crafting Professions:
    I wanted to be able to craft my own gear at any time.
    Much harder to level, but more rewarding at the end.

Maging Professions:
    I do not mage for others because maging takes too much time but people do not want to compensate it.
    Does not apply to me.
    I levelled all my maguses before the update, so it was fast, easy, and efficient. New system requires better understanding of the levelling mechanics.
    I make all my runes myself. I rarely crush items because I have a lot of runes from levelling professions.
    Maging is very time consuming when trying to achieve a specific result. However it allows to highly increase the price of the item, so I'm fine with it.
    0 0
    Score : 13423
    MsBellOberon|2012-09-26 19:30:59
    As we continue to discuss the present and future gameplay of Dofus, we cannot move forward without considering the role of the profession system in gameplay and the economy.

Please take some time to answer the following questions and share your opinions with us. I know there are a lot of questions, but the profession system is complex and we want to do it justice. It is possible that not all of these questions will apply to you or be something you want to answer. You absolutely do not have to constrain your feedback to these questions; if you want to share something not covered by these questions please do so.

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts; we are all working together to improve the game we love!

About you:
    Hunter/Butcher (100 each) farmer (38) alchemist (74 100) lumberjack (6x) bowcarver (6x) bowcarvmagus(30ish)
    The lumberjack and bow carver are for that, the others are just to be more self sufficient as well as make money though that may change later.
    None, haven't gotten them made yet
    I'm the kind that wants to be self sufficient in terms of consumables, but I definitely have to make money to pay for gear.
    Why of course, I can only have 3 professions per character, which is quite limiting
    Hunter/butcher to avoid paying for bread, and better hp per pod.
    Excel spreadsheets actually
    Leveling a low level harvester becomes tiresome as the resource protectors are far to frequent, with little recompense to someone more interested in xp than the actual harvest (sometimes I will actually end up with such a full inventory that I will destroy some of it)
    Lumberjack definitely could use a boost, as there are few areas to make good time harvesting while having no high level recipes such as those miners have
    Only because I am in an awesome guild.
    The only one that seems to troublesome is costumagus Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding Well, some fish are a little difficult, snowdrops are until I get my alchemist to 100, and dont even talk to me about frosteez oil
    I'm not really sure how to answer this one as it all depends on the time of day.
    Out of the ones I have, definitely hunter + butcher, not only have I sold meat, but I haven't had to buy any or any bread.
    Fisherman seems to be all about the rare fish, but that's only from second hand knowledge.
    Quality of life:

With the exception of when a crafter is trying to mass craft while providing some of the items, it works well, I think it might be useful to implement something like the way runes are handled in this regard, but not an absolute necessity
    Definitely decrease the frequency of resource protectors, or give profession xp for defeating them (see this thread: Click here)
    Harvesting Professions:
    Oh look, just said something on this earlier happy. A hindrance to low levels, a godsend to high levels collecting low amount harvest (like snowdrops or frosteez)
    Crafting/Maging is only benificial to those who have a large initial income to pour into it (or have guild members that are willing to help) Whereas, for the most part, harvesting professions require only a time investment.
    Crafting Professions:
    (no significant input here)
    (see above)
    Maging Professions: (no significant input here, as my mage was only to test out the system for now)
    In addition I'd like to note that all harvesting professions other than lumberjack can be raised to 100 within a day assisted by another, lumberjack is stuck with the long haul.
    0 0
    Score : 3343
    Nerd-Tease|2012-10-14 20:47:52
    In addition I'd like to note that all harvesting professions other than lumberjack can be raised to 100 within a day assisted by another, lumberjack is stuck with the long haul.
    You don't have a fisherman do you try leveling one.
    0 0
    Score : 1431
    If you have professions, which do you have and what level are they?
    Only counting professions above Level 50: Level 100 Farmer, Baker, Alchemist, Shoemagus and Staffmagus. Level 7x Shoemaker and 8x Staffmaker. Level 7x Lumberjack, 6x Miner. Level 5x Tailor.

I should add that my highest character were Level 11x ish, so I am quite a "midgame" or early-game guy when it comes to own equipment needs.

Do you use your professions for economic gain?
    Yes, this is my main motivation.

Which of your professions do you have runes for? How often do you turn on your runes?
    None and never.

Tried it for some time and found it useless. Too much hassle for too less gain. People are too rude, don't sp3ak m3 1AnguAge or have an alien idea of payment ("Since you get XP, you have to pay me to make me these Shoes"). Or it just takes too long to know what they actually want (especially for maging stuff).

What type of profession-er are you?
    I like market systems in online games. I try to explore them and try to optimize my profits. And I have spare brain capacities while watching silly TV series. wink

Do you use alt characters to facilitate your professioning?
    Yes, because one character is restricted to 3 main professions. I would prefer to not use alts, but I am forced to.

What was your reason for choosing the professions you leveled?
    Farmer and Alchemist since Incarnam, Baker comes naturally. Staffcarver because I was an Feca back then. The others just to try them out. Basically, I tried every profession until Level 2ish or so.. (except Shieldmaker. I don't do PvP.)

And I raised me around 3-4 Level 100 Baker/Farmer just because of the Pods.

Mass craft calculation for profession leveling - pen and paper or calculator?
    Windows Caculator and notepad.exe is just fine. The upcoming modding API will hopefully give us a lot of custom tools as well.

Are there any gatherable resources (wood, ore, fish) that you have trouble finding?
    Copperstone Ore is quite rare and used in too many levelling receipts (compared to Iron or Bronze) and hence there are always multiple miners trying to harvest it.
    Some wood types are much more required than others, e.g. the relatively low level Walnut is MUCH higher in demand than e.g. Mapple.

Are there professions that you feel are too saturated?
    Farmer/Baker is destroying the Hunter/Butcher and Fisherman/monger markets (as well as the potion-market for Alchemists). There are way too many Farmers around to become a successfull hunter or fisherman (if you want to make money from anything else than rare drops). This is especially true because of many Farmer-Bots.

In your opinion, which profession do you feel to be the most profitable?
    From an overall perspective this is clearly Farmer/Baker/Alchemist, as it requires the least amount of time to level (Low investment cost).

Also, which do you feel is the least profitable?
    Handymen. By the time you make money, you already spent two fortunes into the profession.

What are your thoughts on the various user interfaces that handle professions?
    The XP gauge is a nice gimmick, but actually quite useless. The Pod-Gauge needs the absolute numbers to be usefull. I never really tried the Co-op crafting interface a lot. The Crushing interface is hillarious bad and inefficient for things like crushing 500 Robber Belts.

What is on your wishlist of things that would improve your life as a profession-er?
    I would like to see the responsibilities split more between the food gathering professions. For example, tripple or quadruple the pod weight of all bread and half its HP. Then give all edible fishes some extra bonus like "+10 Int for the next battle" and reduce their HP. Meat stays at a very pod/HP efficient ratio.

What are your experiences with interacting with the Dofus world while gathering?
    Lumberjacks get constantly attacked by monsters on or near the clicked tree. Alchemists and Farmer seems to be fine.

The Preselection is nice and stuff but it is hard to select anything at map border, as it seems to prefer the "move to next map" selection over selecting the crop on a map border.

What made you choose a harvesting profession?
    They were the first thing I got offered in Incarnam. Also, I don't have to fight (a lot) to earn Kamas.

Resource Protectors - Godsend or annoyance?
    Scarecrow attacks are way too often in higher levels. As I get it, the attack probability is "per harvest action" instead of "per minute". This makes scarecrow attacks extremely annoying for Level 100 Farmer.

Also, because of scarecrow attacks, chatting in white chat while harvesting is not really possible.

For the other gathering professions, the amount of loot (50 units) and the rarity of resources makes it worthwhile to fight protectors.

To fix Protectors, I propose to make the attack frequency a function of time and not of harvest cycle. Once every 5 to 20 minutes on average seems fine to me. I can't comment a lot about their efficiency in defeating bots. (All bots that I've seen so far were pretty unimpressed by protectors, but this still could mean that there would be much much more bots if there were no protectors..)

What made you choose a crafting profession?
    Crafting professions are the boring necessity to gain to the much more interesting Maging Professions.

How do you feel about crafting professions in relation to the other two types of professions (maging and harvesting)?
    For me, they are the most boring professions (maybe except fisherman. biggrin). You either need to spent millions of kamas in buying resources from the market or hunting the same enemies over and over again to obtain required resources to level them (and you would be much better of just selling these resources).

The actual crafting results are almost 100% crushed into runes. This makes the professions feeling like some kind of joke to me. The only exceptions are various quest items (e.g. Twigger Swords), but these don't yield in much profit.

Maybe at Level 9x or so, they can start earning kamas by actually selling items, but that's too far for my taste. At the moment, there is no easy way to know what would sell in the market other than just trying out some receipts (or going for safe stuff like Gobball Set items). So consistent income and planning ahead is hard for crafting professions. (compared to other)

Do you use your mage for your own personal gear or do you mage for others?
    Both.

If you mage for others, how do you feel about the cooperative mage interface?
    Never really used it. I mage mostly for friends or for the market. Friends just give me the stuff and I give back the result. Much easier.

When maging your own equipment, are the runes you use the result of your own crafting/crushing or are the purchase?
    Fifty fifty. I just buy the runes if I don't have them or sell runes, if I got too much.

How often do you crush items?
    Every time I craft items.

How do you feel about maging professions in relation to the other two types of professions (crafting and harvesting)?
    The mage system is quite interesting and the possibilities and risks are fun for me to try out some combinations.

Unfortunately, only some specific combinations are worth maging for the market, because - again - there is no reliably way of knowing what other people want (I don't consider the rune enlistment as reliably. See above)
    0 0
    Score : 13423
    LordGreyDragon|2012-10-15 11:27:02
    Nerd-Tease|2012-10-14 20:47:52
    You don't have a fisherman do you try leveling one.
    Thank you for the correction, it didn't come to mind as I only know 1 fisherman (and not well at that).

Suggestion for future evolution of the system:

Allow the use of the specialization slots for other professions when your current ones do not offer a specialization. See This 
    0 0
    Score : 3
    About you:
    Miner - 73; Jeweller - 69; Farmer / Baker - 30; Lumberjack - 20

Yes, I do.

Jeweller. They're always on, although I rarely get clients.
    I consider myself the "I wanna sell everything and get rich" type of profession-er.

• I use alts to be able to have more than 3 professions.
    They seemed like the best options to make money.
    For profession leveling no. I just calculate (with excel spreadsheets) the amount of money I can do with X or Y resource.
    Leveling my miner was a little bit difficult because I had to mine on stupid hours, so I could have free mines.
    I think Grocery Stores should be on Hunter / Butcher / Fisherman / Fishermonger's workshops.
    For the most part yes.
    Shield Smith, pretty much.
    Not at all.
    Miner, definitely.
    For low levels, Farmer / Baker / Alchemist is a good combo. For higher levels, getting Miner and Lumberjack to level 100 and starting to mass craft runes while leveling smiths and carvers.
    Not sure...
    I like them. Maybe include some interface who could allow us to see how many resources we'd need to level up our profession to X level using Y recipe.
    Reduce the pods of Ores and Woods. Create a "pod" set for about level 50, one for 100 and one for 150. Be able to sell things directly from bank when en masse, but this wouldn't be such a problem if such resources weighted less.
    I hate aggro mobs when I'm leveling a profession on my low level alt sad
    Good income, without having to spend any money at all.
    Godsend for rare resources. Annoyance when I want to level the profession, and I'm not much worried about the resources I receive.
    They are the best to make money for begginers, but fall of as things start getting more expensive.
    Being able to craft my own items is priceless.
    Best to make reliable money (runes).
    For my own.
    I don't mage for others.
    As long as I don't screw up the item, I'm usually satisfied. Everything in the game takes a big chunk of time anyways to do...
    Crafting / Crushing. Daily (to make money and to save for mages).
    They are very useful, but require too much time and effort.
    0 0
    Respond to this thread