By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Prototype] "Faux" 16:9 and 16:10 display

By [lichen] - ANKAMA - February 24, 2016, 12:35:36
DevTracker

We are exploring the possibilities of using the "black bars" that are often displayed in the DOFUS client when the window is resized to a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio.

In this prototype, the client displays a preview of surrounding maps to dynamically "fill" these black areas.

Bringing this feature to the game would require all transitions between maps to be consistent, which is not yet the case for all areas of the game. Some of these intersections are very coherent (due to decorative elements being cut off, lighting effects, etc). So for now, this feature is only available to be previewed on the Beta server in the Astrub and Incarnam areas.

This preview system can only show the basic decor of surrounding maps. NPCs, monsters, characters, and other interactive elements will not be displayed, or may not be dynamically updated (in the case of harvestable resources). It's also not possible to extend the fight area to other maps.

Graphical immersion is the focus of this prototype, so it does not have an impact on the underlying game mechanics.

We would like your opinion on how this experimental feature affects performance and ergonomics in real game conditions. We recommend that you create a new character and try to complete quests and fights in the Incarnam and Astrub areas so we can have a better understanding of your experiences with this prototype.

In order to try out this prototype, simply update your beta client and enable the experimental features using the new button added in the upper right corner of the client.

Please note that experimental features may be unstable, and may require you to restart your client from time to time.

After you've tested the feature, you can quickly and easily give us your feedback by filling out this survey: Click here

First Ankama intervention
Score : 168

Hi everyone!

As I said in the directional mini-map thread, we are very happy with the enthusiasm you demonstrated towards the DOFUS Lab. We have discussed what you told us here in the dev team, and the first thing we can say is that you have a lot of creativity. So, first things first: Thank you all very much.

You have welcomed the 16:9 project with open arms, and now our goal will be to implement it while trying to mitigate its limitations (we're especially thinking about Treasure Hunts, maps that do not mesh well, interactive elements, etc.). In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and encourage you to have fun with the game!

Fury

See message in context
0 0
Reactions 21
Score : 6899

I love this, even in areas where the adjoining maps haven't been prepared for it there is a vast improvement.

0 0
Score : 137

The idea is quite good. Even if it's only an estetic feature, make the game more appealing for old and new players.
But the best thing would be make those areas usefull for dragn n drop UI, like the trasure hunt ones, or the reduced map.
Imho the best thing would be even move the chat on the side of the screen, and leave on the bottom only the rapid bars. More space screen and less "dead" space.
Good job to the team so far!

0 0
Score : 55
The idea is quite good. Even if it's only an estetic feature, make the game more appealing for old and new players. But the best thing would be make those areas usefull for dragn n drop UI, like the trasure hunt ones, or the reduced map. Imho the best thing would be even move the chat on the side of the screen, and leave on the bottom only the rapid bars. More space screen and less "dead" space. Good job to the team so far!

Completely agree. It really looks nice. I wouldnt also mind if it would be active and also havin dragable UI or else on it. Its not accessible so i dont mind if theres something above it.

But what really bothers me, is how this will change the TreasureHunts. It might be really confusing to do this, while having this active.
2 0
Vipyoshi|2016-02-24 18:16:52

But what really bothers me, is how this will change the TreasureHunts. It might be really confusing to do this, while having this active.
Didn't thought about that, very good point.
0 0
Score : 88

Two notes:
1. Maybe it would be a good idea to extend the chat/spell bar so there is not this weird spot in the background and also you would be able to put on more spells on the 1st page (or potions, HP consumables etc in nonfight mode). Just for your imagination I edited this pic so my thought is clear to all of you:

2. It doesn't work for tactical mode. Maybe it would be nice to add some features with info about the ongoing fight in the background to fill the empty spot so you don't have to swap between wide screen while you're not in the fight and normal, square screen with 2 big black empty spots when you're fighting.
3 0
Score : 3936

Downloading the beta as I write, but as soon as I read this topic I though -like Vipyoshi did- about treasure hunts.
This scares me a bit to be honest...

0 0
Score : 744

From what I've seen on Dofus Beta, I really like it, it looks beautiful and it gives dofus a more in depth experience. biggrin 

0 0
Score : 11245

I love the idea. Could these "black bars" be used to house chat logs or other data in place of the map previews if that doesn't pan out properly?

1 0
Score : 1220

House chat logs on this space please +1! Something like how Capngoat has on his latest twitch streams would actually be perfect.

0 0
Score : 168

Hi everyone!

As I said in the directional mini-map thread, we are very happy with the enthusiasm you demonstrated towards the DOFUS Lab. We have discussed what you told us here in the dev team, and the first thing we can say is that you have a lot of creativity. So, first things first: Thank you all very much.

You have welcomed the 16:9 project with open arms, and now our goal will be to implement it while trying to mitigate its limitations (we're especially thinking about Treasure Hunts, maps that do not mesh well, interactive elements, etc.). In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and encourage you to have fun with the game!

Fury

0 0
Score : 77

I'm very happy about this beta! Because it is so frustrating to play from my laptop...the resolution is so small...I always had problems in reading the chat.
I hope that this feature will become operative soon

0 0
Score : 189
Magorian|2016-02-24 18:21:32
Two notes:
1. Maybe it would be a good idea to extend the chat/spell bar so there is not this weird spot in the background and also you would be able to put on more spells on the 1st page (or potions, HP consumables etc in nonfight mode). Just for your imagination I edited this pic so my thought is clear to all of you:

2. It doesn't work for tactical mode. Maybe it would be nice to add some features with info about the ongoing fight in the background to fill the empty spot so you don't have to swap between wide screen while you're not in the fight and normal, square screen with 2 big black empty spots when you're fighting.
I disagree with you. The faux 16:9's main point (or at least what I think is the main point) is to give an illusion of openness and freedom. Expanding the spell and chat bars to cover the entire base of the screen would, imo, counter this.

I will also add that I'd very much like to be able to drag windows, such as expanded chat, inventory, quest, small version of the map, etc, into the borders of the screen, be them black or extended.

As it currently stands, I feel like almost half of my screen space is beeing needlessly inutilized.
0 0
Score : 2512

A couple suggestions to address treasure hunting:
Option 1: While a treasure hunt is active, have the "extra" map area greyed out, or in some other manner made visually distinct from the actual map area.
Option 2: Have a general option one can opt in to (from the basic right-click menu), which will grey out the "extra" map area, or to make it visually distinct in some way.

Here are some examples of what I mean by visually distinct:
-greyed or otherwise
-make that "extra" area transition to more of a sketch of the next map(s)
-add a "fog of war" type effect

These changes would avoid the need for a border between the current map and surrounding maps, which I feel would go against the idea of this visual enhancement in the first place.

0 0
Score : 609
Malakh-Kelevra|2016-03-21 14:36:25
I'm very happy about this beta! Because it is so frustrating to play from my laptop...the resolution is so small...I always had problems in reading the chat.
I hope that this feature will become operative soon
It is really frustrating to play on my laptop aswell and that is why i've been waiting for it for a long time.
So are there any precise date that you'll release this? I assume it won' be released with 2.35 tho
0 0

It's not a precise date, but we are currently planning to bring this to the actual game in September this year. I hope this helps.

Score : -7296

I was just wondering if this will require the same performance from our computers/ laptops, or better performance will be needed? ph34r

I don't have an I7 with 5432532452345342532 ram for graphs stuffs tongue

0 -2
Score : 651

I am not sure if this has been brought up, but how will it effect treasure hunts?

0 0

Since the calendar says you guys are also revamping the all the UI system, here's my suggestion:
16:9 is ok, but since there are so many problems with treasure hunts, light and shadows and interactive elements, you could do something like this

Hard shadowing the side areas should solve hunt and enlightning problems. Also those areas could be used to place movable and custom ui, like the expanded minimap, the chat log, or even the treasure hunts menu (and a feature to make the client remember your UI configuration would also be great)

Edit: A "Dofus touch" style solution would be good too imho.
2 0
Score : 321

I can't describe in words how much I am looking forward to this as well as the UI changes. Keep up the quality of life changes, much love!

0 0
Respond to this thread