FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Beta 2.59 Has Arrived!

By [Ankama]DOFUS - ADMIN - March 31, 2021, 11:00:00
AnkaTracker Announcements

Primarily focused on debugging, the 2.59 update will bring forward some quipment and class balancing. But that's not all… Curious? Find out in the beta right now!

For more information about the beta for Update 2.59, you can check out the EN changelog here. A translation of the changelog will be available next week.

Interested in sharing your feedback and helping us get closer to an optimal play experience? Excellent – that's exactly what we need from you! As usual, please submit the reports in the sub-forum dedicated to bugs in the beta. We will proceed with Beta bug reporting follow-ups on the DOFUS EN forum directly. 

We are going to explore a new initiative that goes hand-in-hand with our desire to involve the community even more in the beta process. 
The downside to this initiative is the language barrier: the content and management of the cards will be in French. We understand this isn't ideal for the International community but we still wanted to inform you of the initiative and welcome you to participate if you are able to.

Getting right to the point, we're going to create a public Trello board. For those who aren't familiar with it, Trello is a project management tool offering a number of elements including tables, lists, cards, and many other modules that can be added to make the application fit with everyone's needs. In our case, we're using it to take note of beta feedback and give an accurate picture of how the feedback received is taken into account.

So our Trello board will be filled up with the bug reports received on the forums, which will take the form of cards that can be voted for (or not). In this way, the production team will be able to see which bugs or fixes players think are most important.
To vote, one just needs to create a Trello account and click "Vote" on the cards that seem the most relevant! 

In addition, this Trello board will let you see what cards are being handled by the team, along with progress on the fixes.

See you on Beta (and on the forums!)

First Ankama intervention

Hello, everyone.

Pardon the late hour of my message.

Point-blank: it is frustrating. We totally understand your side of the situation. In fact, we do agree that it isn't cool nor fair that you have to wait for the changelog. 
I do, however, think that clarifying some points might help towards a better understanding of the situation. 

The changelog is finalised on the eve of the beta server opening (as the Game Design and Test teams will still perform some last checks to the modifications/patches that will be deployed). 
It is then sent to our Localisation team, who is also translating in-game content.
At the moment, just on DOFUS, the team is working on every change associated with the 2.59 update and all the texts associated Temporis V (upcoming news, in-game content, etc.). There are other Ankama games and projects they're also working on at the moment.

A professional translator can do on average around 2,000 words a day, depending on the nature of the text, and this 2.59 changelog is close to 10,000 words. There are translation rules and processes in place within Ankama, and an official communication can't be translated in ‘an hour’. Also, it wouldn't be acceptable (not just for you, but even for us!) if we used Google/DeepL/any other tool to provide you with an official changelog (or any official communication, for that matter).

A changelog evolves throughout the beta phase, as bug fixes are deployed. It's a living, ever-changing beast and some items can even be removed.
They aren’t usually translated because the beta normally lasts two weeks and, with it, invariably comes new content.
The time window is extremely short to work on a document that will be modified regularly over a 2-week period. Granted that a regular update changelog doesn’t reach 10,000 words long, but the Localisation team will always prioritise the translation of new content in-game (quests, items, spell changes).

Let us be very clear: sharing with you the French changelog isn't a solution to the situation by any means.
We do provide the French changelog in case you do not wish to wait (we agree, you shouldn't have to, but here we are!) and you have decided that the translation you get via those online translation tools is enough for you to get a sense of the content; while it goes against policy for us to use it, it isn't our place to decide on your behalf if you should use it or not.

The link is shared several reasons:

• You can see the volume of changes we’ve planned.
  • We do have members of our community that ask for the French changelog link to use one of the said translation tools, as it is enough for them to get an idea of the changes while they wait for the official English version.
  • We have been told in the past, ‘At the very least, give us the French version. Some of us can figure it out.’
  • We would rather receive your constructive criticism over the content we delivered to you rather than over the fact that we didn’t give you the option to determine if said content is useful to you or not.

Regarding the popular event/server only having French support, and the Temporis mention, I am not sure I understood. If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

This news publication concerns the 2.59 beta only.
At no point was it stated that there would be no English support for the beta, and nowhere did we state we wouldn’t bother.
The tool to give the communities transparency on the bugs and their status will only be in French (and we all agree that this is not a perfect solution, so there is no argument there). However, your bug reports do not become any less important. A bug report is a bug report.
While we do allow players to vote on the bugs they deem most important and relevant via this Trello, it does not supersede the entire production team’s (which includes Game Designers and Testers) prioritisation. Better than us all put together, they know what bugs are more critical than others and their ultimate goal with this update is to improve everyone’s gaming experience.

Your reports will still be handled by me, like bug reports reported on the French forum will be handled by French Community Managers, and so on. I will still create tickets for the Game Design and Test teams to bring forward your reports. This will not change.

Regarding the translations/availability of information in general – and I agree it is not fair to have to wait for translated changelogs and that we're far from an ideal solution – we're actively re-evaluating our communications and the sharing of information in other areas to see how we can bring more value to all communities equally. This is where we are at now:
  • All written communications come out at the same time across all communities. Except for changelogs, we no longer have some communities getting information ahead of others. If that ever happens, do not hesitate to let me know so I can personally go out and get you answers as to why it happened.
  • Whenever possible, we have Ankama Live streams in both English and French. It's never due to a lack of desire or willingness: it really comes down to conflicting schedules.
  • We live-tweet to all communities quick summaries of new content with visuals as they are being revealed during a live stream.
  • This time, we provided visuals in both French and English during the live stream itself, and I think it will become the new standard.
  • A few days after our Twitch streams, we provide written summaries for all communities on the forums.

On that last bullet point, the turnaround times aren’t great, and it is something we are working on. For example, it can happen that the English version is ready before another language, but we will still wait for all to be ready before posting them on the forums.

Are we happy with the changes so far? Yes, because these improvements have shown to add value to our International players. Do we think it is enough? Not at all.

We still have a long way to go and we are working at it, one day at a time. 

Manaia
See message in context
Reactions 18
Score : 2496

It's really frustrating that translations never come at the same time.

One week for people who do not know french to understand what is new is just plain stupid. We basically go in blindly not knowing what changed.

1 0
Score : 1805

Were some achievements added? I got 100 more points then I have on our original server, I havn't obtained any since. :O

0 0
Score : 1800
  • The downside to this initiative is the language barrier: the content and management of the cards will be in French. We understand this isn't ideal for the International community but we still wanted to inform you of the initiative and welcome you to participate if you are able to.

Regarding the language barrier, Ankama is always one step forward and two steps back. Even though efforts have been made to be more inclusive of the non-french players, there is still a long way to go, especially when it comes to important things like the changelog or when input from the international community is needed like bug reports. On my part, I'll wait for the changelog translation before I check sacrier changes and other fixes on the beta server.
0 0
Score : 65

Respect your english community guys, doing a translation takes like 1 hour, wtf is this

1 0
Score : 162

The most important balance update in two years and its only (In French), and now you are telling us the popular event/server will have mainly only french support? At last temporis people just thought you were unprepared and tolerated no translation, but telling us out right you wont even bother is disgusting. You have the numbers so you know how much international players you have so you have the right to focus on what group you want but this was a kick that i think was needed for me to take my time and money and move elsewhere.

0 0
Score : 65

https://www.deepl.com/translator - You can use this website next time, 10 minutes for someone to copy paste the text and read it once and edit the name of spells.

Don't disrepect your core international fans like this

1 0
Score : 151

rip Hupper

0 0

Hello, everyone.

Pardon the late hour of my message.

Point-blank: it is frustrating. We totally understand your side of the situation. In fact, we do agree that it isn't cool nor fair that you have to wait for the changelog. 
I do, however, think that clarifying some points might help towards a better understanding of the situation. 

The changelog is finalised on the eve of the beta server opening (as the Game Design and Test teams will still perform some last checks to the modifications/patches that will be deployed). 
It is then sent to our Localisation team, who is also translating in-game content.
At the moment, just on DOFUS, the team is working on every change associated with the 2.59 update and all the texts associated Temporis V (upcoming news, in-game content, etc.). There are other Ankama games and projects they're also working on at the moment.

A professional translator can do on average around 2,000 words a day, depending on the nature of the text, and this 2.59 changelog is close to 10,000 words. There are translation rules and processes in place within Ankama, and an official communication can't be translated in ‘an hour’. Also, it wouldn't be acceptable (not just for you, but even for us!) if we used Google/DeepL/any other tool to provide you with an official changelog (or any official communication, for that matter).

A changelog evolves throughout the beta phase, as bug fixes are deployed. It's a living, ever-changing beast and some items can even be removed.
They aren’t usually translated because the beta normally lasts two weeks and, with it, invariably comes new content.
The time window is extremely short to work on a document that will be modified regularly over a 2-week period. Granted that a regular update changelog doesn’t reach 10,000 words long, but the Localisation team will always prioritise the translation of new content in-game (quests, items, spell changes).

Let us be very clear: sharing with you the French changelog isn't a solution to the situation by any means.
We do provide the French changelog in case you do not wish to wait (we agree, you shouldn't have to, but here we are!) and you have decided that the translation you get via those online translation tools is enough for you to get a sense of the content; while it goes against policy for us to use it, it isn't our place to decide on your behalf if you should use it or not.

The link is shared several reasons:

• You can see the volume of changes we’ve planned.
  • We do have members of our community that ask for the French changelog link to use one of the said translation tools, as it is enough for them to get an idea of the changes while they wait for the official English version.
  • We have been told in the past, ‘At the very least, give us the French version. Some of us can figure it out.’
  • We would rather receive your constructive criticism over the content we delivered to you rather than over the fact that we didn’t give you the option to determine if said content is useful to you or not.

Regarding the popular event/server only having French support, and the Temporis mention, I am not sure I understood. If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

This news publication concerns the 2.59 beta only.
At no point was it stated that there would be no English support for the beta, and nowhere did we state we wouldn’t bother.
The tool to give the communities transparency on the bugs and their status will only be in French (and we all agree that this is not a perfect solution, so there is no argument there). However, your bug reports do not become any less important. A bug report is a bug report.
While we do allow players to vote on the bugs they deem most important and relevant via this Trello, it does not supersede the entire production team’s (which includes Game Designers and Testers) prioritisation. Better than us all put together, they know what bugs are more critical than others and their ultimate goal with this update is to improve everyone’s gaming experience.

Your reports will still be handled by me, like bug reports reported on the French forum will be handled by French Community Managers, and so on. I will still create tickets for the Game Design and Test teams to bring forward your reports. This will not change.

Regarding the translations/availability of information in general – and I agree it is not fair to have to wait for translated changelogs and that we're far from an ideal solution – we're actively re-evaluating our communications and the sharing of information in other areas to see how we can bring more value to all communities equally. This is where we are at now:
  • All written communications come out at the same time across all communities. Except for changelogs, we no longer have some communities getting information ahead of others. If that ever happens, do not hesitate to let me know so I can personally go out and get you answers as to why it happened.
  • Whenever possible, we have Ankama Live streams in both English and French. It's never due to a lack of desire or willingness: it really comes down to conflicting schedules.
  • We live-tweet to all communities quick summaries of new content with visuals as they are being revealed during a live stream.
  • This time, we provided visuals in both French and English during the live stream itself, and I think it will become the new standard.
  • A few days after our Twitch streams, we provide written summaries for all communities on the forums.

On that last bullet point, the turnaround times aren’t great, and it is something we are working on. For example, it can happen that the English version is ready before another language, but we will still wait for all to be ready before posting them on the forums.

Are we happy with the changes so far? Yes, because these improvements have shown to add value to our International players. Do we think it is enough? Not at all.

We still have a long way to go and we are working at it, one day at a time. 

Manaia

• All written communications come out at the same time across all communities. Except for changelogs, we no longer have some communities getting information ahead of others.

Thank you, Manaia, for your detailed and thoughtful response. You being our community manager is the reason I still have hope that Ankama will improve and I'm grateful. Hopefully one day all communities will receive a translated changelog at the same time. Maybe Ankama should try to account for that in the future. Also, thank you for the clarification on bug reports. As for Trello, I tried to look into it, but as it is all in french, I really don't know what to do there, even if I do appreciate that the option was given to us.

I really liked this and please continue to provide information in this manner during the live streams along with the translations. Perhaps in the future make them not as brief?. It may not look like it because of the overwhelming amount of french people in the chat but we international players are there too. On my part, if I am at times critical or demanding when it comes to the treatment of the international community, it is not only because I cherish this game but because everyone deserves a fair and equitable game experience. huh

0 0

And we're extremely grateful for your honesty and for taking the time to share your thoughts with me, Misai. kiss

This is why we welcome all feedback: it comes from caring for the game and for the community. huh

Score : 282

Thank you for this explanation, Manaia. I truly understand the difficulty of the situation you found yourselves in with this Trello board.

The only concern is something that Misai briefly mentioned above, the english content during those streams.
- Whenever possible, we have Ankama Live streams in both English and French. It's never due to a lack of desire or willingness: it really comes down to conflicting schedules.

When on stream, I had my French friend on a voice chat, along with some other english-speaking people, and that guy has been explaining us everything that was mentioned in French prior to English summary. And I mean it, the English part was just a summary and it has not mentioned a lot of things. You have a lot of developers there with some major experience, as well as funds to get at least a partial solution that would e.g. get the french speech into text, then google translate to at least give us a hint of what you are talking about. If there is a person that is not French, this information is inaccessible otherwise, especially that French due to it's pronunciation is really hard to write for non-French speaker, while a program (just like YouTube generates and translates automatically) can at least get the idea of what was said. If you actually analyze the streams, you will see that it wasn't both French and English, it was French with some bits of English translated by one person to get SOME key points of what was said.

Hour into the stream, we started betting how much time it takes for 'Back to French' to pop up...

1 0

Hi Filipushek!

Right now, off the bat, I am not sure we are able to do that. To bring you an adequate answer, I will need some time to discuss with those within Ankama that have a better understanding of the setup and our resources.

One of the main challenges is the terminology. 
At the start of last year, we tried something else regarding subtitles: I wrote up a transcript of an Ankama Live in French that I then timed and formatted to be used as subtitles and we uploaded the video.  This was extremely time-consuming that we realized it wasn't a viable solution. We do agree it would be great, but we need to find something that works for everyone.

I will be off tomorrow and it is a public holiday in France on Monday but I took note to discuss your comment with others within Ankama next week. 

Score : -11

with main Sacrier, and alt hupper im not too happy about this update, every year at least sacrier get so nerfed i quit dofus for at least 6 months till it gets usable again, but keep it up the good work

0 -1
Score : 24

Will there be any discount for class change service? Sacrier is no longer playable for pvp oriented people

0 -1
Score : -10

Will there be any compensation given after this nerf? Hupper took a huge hit in PvM and you said that PvP nerf won't affect PvM.. at least one free class change potion would be nice.

0 -1

Thank you so much for the translated changelog, that really helps to better understand what was changed/fixed. Finally, I can get a clear picture of how much of a mess my sacrier is going to be in PvM ohmy

Also, the french devblog linked in the Beta 2.59 Changelog was also translated to English, so I don't really understand why it was linked? Was there extra information in the french one? https://www.dofus.com/en/mmorpg/news/devblog/tickets/1312271-devblog-suggestion-ui-arrives-update-2-59-beta

0 0

My bad, I've overlooked that one. The French link to the devblog has been eradicated and replaced, thank you for pointing that out! 
Talora

Hi everyone!

It’s been an intense four weeks, and we still have some more work to do for this update!

We don’t want to delay the release date, nor do we wish to rush through things – and leaving reports unattended isn’t an option either! The 2.59 DOFUS update will be released on Tuesday, and the 2.59 Beta server will stay open for an extra week (until April 27).

We activated the Kolossium reasonably late in this Beta. We have been looking at the data, but we would like to continue monitoring for an extra few days how the modifications we have brought forward during this phase impacted PvP in-game.
Finally, it will allow us to examine further the back end changes we’ve made (like performance improvements) with a possibility to adjust, improve and test any patches via the Beta first.

All in all, it is less risky on the live servers.

Thank you all who have taken the time to share their feedback on the forum and report bugs encountered on the beta server.

Respond to this thread