FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums

Iop Balancing in 2.8

By [lichen] - ANKAMA - August 29, 2012, 16:55:08
Devtracker
Reactions 213
Score : 7278
Lilscooby|2012-08-29 18:42:01
Make changes on Pandawa class for a change. Change Wrath in to a buff, not a change of state spell. Its only fair, cra has powerful shooting, iop has wrath. why cant pandawas have a power booster? They have Boozer as a defensive buff spell plus lose 1 mp. so make the playing field a little fair. enough said.

Wrath of Zatoishwan is both a buff and a change of state spell. You don't consider +200% Power, +15 Damage, and +11 Critical Hits to be a power booster? That's how Pandawas work. You can either be drunk, and better at close-range fighting (which is, in turn, subdivided into a choice of offensive boosts or defensive boosts) and utility spells, or sober, and better at map manipulation, resistance debuffing, and long-range fighting. It's a class whose roles are already pretty well-defined.

Anyway, this topic is about upcoming Iop changes, not a wishlist of other classes that people want changed. (This topic is certainly not a complete list of all changes in 2.8)
Score : 27230
This is... very different from the "leaked" list of changes that were flying around a couple of days ago, the ones that had people were screaming "NERF! IOPS RUINED FOREVER!"
Not different, just more detailed.

It isn't a nerf, overall it is a good idea to change spells that are not used, I just don't think adding spells with gimmicks that rival what Rogues and Foggers have to do is the way to go about it. And changing Mutilation was just a bad idea.

That being said, I will see what they actually end up doing before passing final judgement, but this isn't a good start.
Score : 143
Oh, wrath is ready the next turn. Jumps + duel. Oh... So now its 2 turns keeping the iop away from wrathing. AND btw. while you are at it, wanna do something about sacriers BTM? The duel kinda thingy would be a good idea to replace it (sort of useless now when sacrifice is differend and every element has stealing spells)
Score : 452
Hmmm...not sure how I feel about this being an Iop and all. I will have to see how the new spells play out before I too past judgement.

Never did use Brokle though...would hate for all spells to revolve around that one.
Score : 279
Well I won't complain about new changes because you won't change it back anyway, but it should be priority to make all the classes somehow balanced. You make foggernaut and then just leave it as it is? Foggernaut is almost completely useless in pvm battles unless there are 2 of them in team. They are slow,no decent buffs, no strong dmg spells, turrets either die too soon or cant reach enemies/allies .. the list go on sleep i just don't see why try to make iops more fun when there r million things to take care of first.

Just so you know by taking dmg spells of Iops you took another potential 972 damage Iops could deal per turn :/ while being on 12 ap base. I know there will be variety of attacks now but weren't iops made to deal massive dmg ? How exactly will you make the dmg go up now when you even make the spell precipitation unable to combine with weaps/wrath. This will only lead to annoyed players and unbalanced classes. Way to go...

So just be a bit reasonable and make classes balanced first before trying to balance it in places that don't need it.
Score : 1781
ilarigh|2012-08-29 19:14:55
Oh, wrath is ready the next turn. Jumps + duel. Oh... So now its 2 turns keeping the iop away from wrathing.

You do realize a simple pushback or sideway push would lock him out of your range? Duel + Wrath only works if you somehow got stuck with no way to pushback the Iop.
Score : 279
I almost forgot that there was no Mutilation when I counted. With extra 2 AP from any ap buffing class =Mutilation and dmg will increase greatly once more. So once again .. Where in Iop's holy name is the dmg Iops could deal?
Score : 3880
Im liking the iop changes alot, but I still am sad that it is confirmed no new changes for enus sad
Score : 5475
*le sigh* I'm really just whining now, but... Really, Lichen - you said in your own words that the class is already balanced? Why are you spending an update to change and improve a balanced class when there are others (such as the poor, humble Enutrof) who could use it much more? Forever alone...

Score : 1010
Man, the Iop will be awesomely better! The new Mutilation may be not good for most of them, that´s because they are viewing from the worst side. Lets say an int iop use this, he rely a lot on spells so, with 10 base, you will get 14 for 1 turn = 2 SS, and 2 Destructives, although they will have only 6 AP for the next round. That´s equal to 2 SS. I predict lots of iops turning into Int again, as, if i understood correctly, iops that rely on spells more than weapons are the biggest beneficiated from those changes, although the idea of keeping the enemy stuck to you for 1 round is pretty better for str iops than int. Well i couldn´t make so much sense about these changes cuz i´m just too confused and at the same time excited with them, as i´m one of the last int iops at endgame of all the game (on my server at least there are just 3 or 4 like me).

So, when the 2.8 beta will be open?
Score : 19
i like it but i think the enu comes later smile ( i hope so :/
Score : 142
finnal int iop got an iop wrath yall should let us use Strengthstorm 3 times again
Score : 3506
To me this just looks like a buff to intel Iops... Which are already stupidly powerful...

I see how the changes are made to freshen up the Iop, but they're all pretty much useless changes..
Score : 1852
Justforsell|2012-08-29 19:17:02
Well I won't complain about new changes because you won't change it back anyway, but it should be priority to make all the classes somehow balanced. You make foggernaut and then just leave it as it is? Foggernaut is almost completely useless in pvm battles unless there are 2 of them in team. They are slow,no decent buffs, no strong dmg spells, turrets either die too soon or cant reach enemies/allies .. the list go on sleep i just don't see why try to make iops more fun when there r million things to take care of first.

Just so you know by taking dmg spells of Iops you took another potential 972 damage Iops could deal per turn :/ while being on 12 ap base. I know there will be variety of attacks now but weren't iops made to deal massive dmg ? How exactly will you make the dmg go up now when you even make the spell precipitation unable to combine with weaps/wrath. This will only lead to annoyed players and unbalanced classes. Way to go...

So just be a bit reasonable and make classes balanced first before trying to balance it in places that don't need it.
Do you even know how much it sucks to have 2 Foggernauts in a team?

-Yen.
Score : 6023
apart from mutilation i think this is a decent update for iops. Not sure why they changed mutilation though. Also unsure why they are focusing on arguably the most balanced class out there.
Score : 2016
Well everyone, now we know where their class balancing focus has been for the past few months XD

Anyway, I've always said Iops could use a change, so I mostly support the spirit of these changes. We'll just have to wait and see how balanced everything is once the numbers come out. It does seem like int is getting quite a buff here, though, and agi (once again) is being left ignored. I'm expecting a lot of iop players are going to be switching to intell now.

There are a few points I want to bring up, though:

• It seems to me that precipitation can be cast after some CC or Iop's wrath, pretty much negating the negative "no CC/Iop's Wrath" malus for the turn. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.
  • I'm not sure if the devs know what a glass cannon actually means. A glass cannon is not a character that exposes itself (in fact due to their low survivability it's often the opposite), but a class that deals tremendous damage at the expense of low vitality and survivability. All the spells they brought up (Precipitation, Duel, Sword of Fate) don't do anything to make the class more fragile. Duel is in fact something you'd find in a tank class' arsenal.
  • Ironically, the one spell that actually fit in perfectly into the glass cannon role was removed (mutilation actually cost some hp to use), and they retained the spell that completely goes against what a glass cannon is all about (vitality). I'm not sure why they removed mutilation completely while keeping vitality.
  • Other than the removal of mutilation, I do agree with how they handled all the other buffs. Iops had way too many + damage buffs that were just kinda sitting there, not adding a lot of tactical depth to the class. I think the alterations to power are also necessary, as power never really had a noticeable impact at the epic levels.
  • Again, we're gonna have to wait until they release some actual numbers, but the spells based on erosion have the potential to be dangerously imbalanced. It's a fine line though, because they can also be almost useless if they start to deal some actual damage when the target's max hp is almost non-existant.
Score : 27230
wonderous-yenthe|2012-08-29 20:51:00
Justforsell|2012-08-29 19:17:02

Do you even know how much it sucks to have 2 Foggernauts in a team?

-Yen.
Have you been in a group with two good foggernauts?
Score : 42
we will have to wait and see ,power may last only two turns now, and be 200% power or 250% on a crit?i hope they buffed the base dam of SOI agood bit ,and there is now no way for a str iop to buff there CC hits apart from a agi spells(divine sword).
i hope Poutch lasts a few turns on the target, many 5ap weapon iops may now be useing 4ap weapons after 2.8
Score : 49
but wait :O if the new update is coming out, does that mean no more x2, x3 for other chares on the account? D: better lvl up quick
Score : 1673
Scientiavore|2012-08-29 20:57:26

• It seems to me that precipitation can be cast after some CC or Iop's wrath, pretty much negating the negative "no CC/Iop's Wrath" malus for the turn. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.
I think that is by design. The main reason behind the restrictions is so the spell does not enable more easy Jump+Wrath combinations or a full turn of smacking your opponent in the face 3-5 times.
The intended use would be for situations where you leave something with really low HP where you could finish them off with juuust one more spell. And if that happens to be just after you used CC or Wrath, then sure, why not? I mean, what can you realistically squeeze in with Precipitation, maybe an extra SoI or Concentration? It's only good for the "Finisher" role the devs wanted.