FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Weapon Balancing in 2.11

By [lichen] - ANKAMA - March 15, 2013, 21:09:15
Reactions 1058
Score : 12

awsooooooooome .......... all my friends who lives near me has been quit because this shit weapon blance .. quit their teams .... rofl 4 ap weapons 1 use per turn maximum
do u image it ? what the hell should i do with my 12/6 sac with otomai sword ?
ffffffffffffffs yes 1 sword and x2 abso sleep
RIP dofus .. and let me tell u the realy reason for why this is happening ...
you notice that ppl doing frigost dungs with x8 charas on 8 cb sets 12 ap .. + gains ap during the fight .. usually 16 ap per chara with ramps hammer .. makes the fights faster and the kamas farm easier ... that why u changed frigost recpie --'' we aren't dumb ankama ... anyway Cya and gl to destroy the game more .. im quiting

0 0
Score : 201

Ok i've tried to be objective about the weapon nerf that's coming, especially after the changes to my str eca after the class 'balancing', i lost two of my best str spells and leap, but i could deal with that, and i could've even dealt with the nerfing of weapons. I understand that's it's frustrating to be one-turned by someone in kolo that's spamming cc, but to go this far is a bit excessive. i'll admit as fast as anyone that i use my peccary quite a bit more since the balancing, but by no means did i neglect the overall usefulness of my spells. what has angered me more than any of the changes is this...... a direct quote from someone at ankama..... .' Now that the Weapon Balancing devblog is out and you're ready to quit Dofus forever, it's the perfect time to run those dungeons you never got around to running before, like Kolosso! We're here to help you make your last month of subscription memorable with a new video tutorial!' WTH is this?!?!?! Do you have absolutely no regard for your player base at all. it may have been meant simply as a joke, but it's neither funny nor cute. i have been a PAYING customer of Ankama since 2007. i sub for a yr every tax season, as does my wife, so i have spent a considerable amount of actual money on this game. Don't get me wrong, up until now i considered it money well spent because i love this game. IMO it's the best MMO out there, but if this is how we're treated after being loyal customers, i've just subbed for the last time. i feel insulted by this and i won't stand for it. Ankama should immediately issue a formal apology to it's players.

0 0
Score : 2976
daSantaStalker|2013-03-23 06:20:07
Ok i've tried to be objective about the weapon nerf that's coming, especially after the changes to my str eca after the class 'balancing', i lost two of my best str spells and leap, but i could deal with that, and i could've even dealt with the nerfing of weapons. I understand that's it's frustrating to be one-turned by someone in kolo that's spamming cc, but to go this far is a bit excessive. i'll admit as fast as anyone that i use my peccary quite a bit more since the balancing, but by no means did i neglect the overall usefulness of my spells. what has angered me more than any of the changes is this...... a direct quote from someone at ankama..... .' Now that the Weapon Balancing devblog is out and you're ready to quit Dofus forever, it's the perfect time to run those dungeons you never got around to running before, like Kolosso! We're here to help you make your last month of subscription memorable with a new video tutorial!' WTH is this?!?!?! Do you have absolutely no regard for your player base at all. it may have been meant simply as a joke, but it's neither funny nor cute. i have been a PAYING customer of Ankama since 2007. i sub for a yr every tax season, as does my wife, so i have spent a considerable amount of actual money on this game. Don't get me wrong, up until now i considered it money well spent because i love this game. IMO it's the best MMO out there, but if this is how we're treated after being loyal customers, i've just subbed for the last time. i feel insulted by this and i won't stand for it. Ankama should immediately issue a formal apology to it's players.
I think you're over reacting dude. Ankama cares about their players, but noone can reasonably argue that a massive majority of the people screaming that theyre going to quit are really going to stay. Ankama knows it, the people looking at this forum (and the french) know it, and even those screaming "QUIT!" know it. What's wrong with pointing and laughing at people over reacting to this update?

Also. as someone who subs 16 accounts, i'm getting sick of people complaining about this. really it's not that bad, try playing without weapons. Most people I know that are endgame really don't mind this as much as they thought they would, once they started getting the feel. it's just a change, like all the rest. and even then, NO MORE CRIT FAILS! FRIG 3! Woohoo! That's enoguh to make up for it...

Now my wish list: the removal of aggressive monsters. they don't belong in a game like this.
The ability to move between maps holding shift (so you can hold shift, click on the left side 3 times, and your character will que it up and run 3 maps over)
International Advertisement.

BRING ON 2.11!
0 0
Score : -244
pirotekno|2013-03-23 07:50:20
Come on AG! Make a hollywood film already! Cast Jason Statham as the leading Iop. laugh 
0 0
Score : 647
I think you're over reacting dude. Ankama cares about their players, but noone can reasonably argue that a massive majority of the people screaming that theyre going to quit are really going to stay. Ankama knows it, the people looking at this forum (and the french) know it, and even those screaming "QUIT!" know it. What's wrong with pointing and laughing at people over reacting to this update?

Also. as someone who subs 16 accounts, i'm getting sick of people complaining about this. really it's not that bad, try playing without weapons. Most people I know that are endgame really don't mind this as much as they thought they would, once they started getting the feel. it's just a change, like all the rest. and even then, NO MORE CRIT FAILS! FRIG 3! Woohoo! That's enoguh to make up for it...

Now my wish list: the removal of aggressive monsters. they don't belong in a game like this.
The ability to move between maps holding shift (so you can hold shift, click on the left side 3 times, and your character will que it up and run 3 maps over)

BRING ON 2.11!

I sometimes wonder if it's a natural cycle for companies. They start off strong, working hard to earn customers by offering excellent services or products, pricing them competitively to under-cut the competition, showing tons of appreciation to their customers, fixing any problems quickly and painlessly, etc. Then once they get big and successful, they decide that they don't need to work so hard anymore. They can just sit back, relax, and coast on the reputation they've built up. They stop working hard on their product, they stop trying to innovate, they stop respecting their customers, they ignore and neglect quality issues, the product starts to suffer, they stop caring, they feel that they're entitled to their business and don't care if a few customers here and there go to the competition, and suddenly they find themselves having money problems because everyone but the hardcore faithful agree that they're a sham and a rip off. You see it all the time. And what's worse, it's typically much much harder to earn back customers that you've wronged than it is to start a new company and earn new customers.

So maybe Ankama has reached that point with Dofus. They no longer feel like they need to bother with customer satisfaction or anything else, not that they ever did if you speak a foreign language. They created a product, it became hugely popular, they've expanded it massively, and as of right now the number of subscriptions is still going up. Maybe they believe they've reached the mountain top and can condescend to their customers, insult them for caring about the quality of the product that they're paying for, etc. Arrogantly believing that because they've been able to push their customers around this long without causing a meaningful amount to quit, that they can continue doing so harder than ever, confidant that they will all come crawling back.

Personally, I found the "joke" to be rather arrogant and insulting, since I know a lot of people who have never threatened to quit because of a nerf before, but are seriously taking steps to leave the game if serious changes aren't made to the proposal going to beta. They've voiced serious concerns and what have they gotten in return? Condescending insults basically double-dog-daring them to quit. Yeah, that's going to work out great, I'm sure.

But anyway, I do agree with you about aggressive monsters, I've been arguing for them to be removed for years. They're the reason I've never run Fungi dungeon. I would rather watch grass grow or paint dry than to navigate those caves ever again.
0 0
Score : 11319
I think you're over reacting dude. Ankama cares about their players,

No, they don't.
2 0
Score : 894

there's still a small hope in me that all of these changes is just a joke, cruel as it is smile

0 0
Score : 15627
Now my wish list: the removal of aggressive monsters. they don't belong in a game like this. The ability to move between maps holding shift (so you can hold shift, click on the left side 3 times, and your character will que it up and run 3 maps over)

Those are two brilliant ideas. One day I hope to see them in the Zenith list of community suggestions that made it into the game.
0 0
Score : 1063

So they're just going to change the basis of lots of high lvl players.....Awsome plan,I don't understand how anyone could be against this (sarcasm).

0 0
Score : 6165

Multi accounters know what they are going to do many steps before hand.Any change is going to be much easier to adjust to for multi accounters than solo players. you know what classes to bring and you already have the entire fight planned out.

solo players and those of us who have lives outside of dofus and can only get a couple of alts don't have that. We team with others so for the most part its not planned. Not saying thats a bad thing, in fact its a lot better and more fun. trying to keep what little community there is together rather than all those who just do everything themselves.

try doing the latter dungeons being a solo or people with only a couple of accounts after this update with an enu/eni/xelor/sadi. fights will be either too hard to kill at all or just be incredibly long and boring. don't forget those of us with proper outside lives can't spend hours on end in 1 dungeon. Obsi is long enough as it is at the best of times. It will be much longer now unless you bring an iop, masq or eca. And being forced to bring specifically any class it wrong.
0 0
Score : 3851
Mishna|2013-03-21 17:18:40
How the heck does ap and or mp steal count as there being strategy for weapon use? That's not that's a strategy for keeping your opponent immobile! Weapon use has no strategy because it is simply brainless bashing away! Tell me how much strategy does it take to go this storm cloud staff does more damage than my spells, Therefore I'll use it as many times as possible during my turn? I doubt you can answer that question because there isn't an answer. There's no strategy involved in simply using the strongest weapon you have over and over again. Turn after turn fight after fight that's just taking the easy way out and requires no thought at all beyond cast weapon skill and swing away! Weapon use can be COMBINED with other strategies but doesn't have one of it's own.

AP or MP steal is definitely a strategy for and against weapon use. If I'm facing an Iop with 10 ap, who can hit me twice with peccary blade, then if I use a Frozen Arrow to take 1-2 AP from him then he will only be able to use his peccary once on me, instead of twice. Likewise if I play it smart with positioning and use a spell which takes MP he likely won't be able to reach me to hit me even once. If I am the weapon user and I want to hit my opponent with weapons I can coordinate with my team mates to have them use MP theft to pin them down and keep them from running from me, or as a cra I can use slow down arrow to steal MP from them and use their own MP to run up and hit them with a weapon.

No one can win a kolo fight using only weapons and weapon skill, unless their opponents are vastly less powerful than them, or just plain stupid. Someone who makes smart use of a combo of spells and weapon combos will beat a weapon spammer every time. I don't know how it is at your level in kolo, but at my level I rarely see multiple weapon hits beyond the number allowed by the weapon nerf until the end of the kolo fight, when the outcome is pretty much determined and you are just mopping up the last person.

In the start and mid game it is all defensive mid range spell usage, perhaps with an occasional one weapon hit and then running. So the weapon nerf won't change much in kolo as far as I see it.

There's no strategy involved in simply using the strongest weapon you have over and over again.

There is also no strategy in just using the strongest spell you have over and over again.

My point is just that strategy is independent of spell or weapon usage, and by nature embodies the combinations of different things you use, the sneaky tactics you use to avoid weapon hits or spell hits, etc. It is possible to just ignorantly spam people with weapons in PvP, and it is possible to just ignorantly spam spell casts in PvP, but someone who plays smart can win easily by using tactics against either.

Also if the current weapons weren't so strong as to be able to allow people to do it themselves. More people would play the game the way it was meant to be played.

The weapon nerf is not going to make people group together more. In fact the multiple high damage weapon hits in PvM are actually part of what allows endgame players to invite lower level newbies along for high level PvM content because it allows the endgame players to hit hard and make up for the low damage that newbies have. I know that personally I'll have to be much more careful in some PvM fights if I can only hit once with a weapon, and I'll be a lot less likely to invite an inexperienced, ill equipped character along to join my group. Right now, pre weapon nerf I can invite someone weak to join my group and make up for their low damage by hitting hard with my weapons. Post nerf they will most likely just be a liability and make it more likely that we'll all get killed if they can't hit hard and hold their own in the battle.
If you use strategy to coordinate things with your team to the point of being able to hit some one with a weapon. That's all fine and dandy, However isn't a weapon use strategy you're combining using a weapon with the strategy of placing and keeping an enemy immobile long enough to be able to hit them!
Also if you use strategy for limiting the number of hits you receive from a weapon user. You're using a defensive strategy which has nothing to do with weapons and is only smart game play!

No one said there was but since spells have cast per turn or per turn and target limits. It's impossible to spam spells effectively to the point of it being a problem. Unlike weapons plus you can't totally annihilate anything with spells. So everything has a chance to fight back and everything should have just that a chance! I partially agree strategy is independent of weapon use because up until you swing the weapon you need strategy. But once everything is set up the way you want you no longer need to use any strategy to then spam close combat!

The same can't be said for spells because they take longer to finish off the opponent. Meaning you'll need to use strategy to do more than position and immobilize a target. Or to limit incoming damage received from weapon hits! Strategy is more closely tied to spell use than it ever was weapon use due to the amount of time it takes to finish off an opponent using weapons versus spells!

Lower level newbies? Sorry but it sounds pretty damn arrogant of anyone to call some one of a lower level. A newbie based on that alone, I mean who the hell do you end gamers think you are? Just because not everyone is capable of doing thousands of damage doesn't make them a newbie. Nor does it if they haven't yet reached 180+ it seems most end gamers have gotten a swollen ego because they are 180+ and hit for insane amounts with their weapons. I think they should remember that reaching end game levels is something ANYONE can do and isn't something they should get a swollen head about!

Every time I see the word newbie or noob used by some end gamer. I think well his/her head is firmly entrenched up their arse! A newbie is someone who isn't as experienced as say an end game level player is in dofus. They are not people who simply are lower leveled and do less damage than an end game level player. Also judging a players power by basing the amount of damage they do at their level versus what you did at their level. Isn't an accurate indicator of anything unless both you had the exact same stats and equipment at their level!
0 0
Score : 3541
slachter|2013-03-23 16:08:59
So they're just going to change the basis of lots of high lvl players.....Awsome plan,I don't understand how anyone could be against this (sarcasm).
You realize that your kind of attitude is the kind of attitude which is ruining everyone's day?

Imagine being a game developer. Okay, you probably don't understand game development that well, so let me put intergrate it into my scenario.

You're spending most of your time doing things on a game, drawing, programming, stressing over numbers, being in meetings. Then when you've finally made something that you can call your own, the thing you've wanted to make since you were a kid, you have the vast majority of people throwing 9/10th of the game out of the window so they can abuse one feature.
0 -1
Score : 3

This is by far the stupidest update ever thanks for making me quit this game^^ Dofus was my favorite game but after this update its just going to be stupid ankama doesnt think about anything they do anymore first the stupid sparkling pebbles for equipment and now the weapon nerf? Thanks for ignoring what people want ankama! thats another 8 accounts of p2p that you are losing biggrin 

0 0
Score : 957
kakisuka|2013-03-23 17:46:16
You realize that your kind of attitude is the kind of attitude which is ruining everyone's day?

Imagine being a game developer. Okay, you probably don't understand game development that well, so let me put intergrate it into my scenario.

You're spending most of your time doing things on a game, drawing, programming, stressing over numbers, being in meetings. Then when you've finally made something that you can call your own, the thing you've wanted to make since you were a kid, you have the vast majority of people throwing 9/10th of the game out of the window so they can abuse one feature.
You actually call this work?I call this an masterpiece/art work 7 years ago that slowly got ripped appart and ripped and changed to an less artwork, you really would think ankama,s players would loyally accept it when they mess with their spells AND now with weapons too?Then this dev sure is an fool.
0 0
Score : 469

Yeah, but who pay their salaries? Exactly, their playerbase, when they show little to no respect for their playerbase, it just translates as a big F U. Look how many French players are against this change and yet, they're treating everyone as their slaves. What can I say? My dimes for 8 accounts they won't get anymore. I've been playing since 2006 (2005, but I was not a subscriber back then) and it's sad to say that my run has come to an end.
Im playing other stuff, it's better to give my money to people who actually care
0 0
Score : 15627

Just because you are an artist doesn't mean you can force people to enjoy the product of your labor. If spells are not favored it is for a reason, and generally it is because they are too weak, making fights long and frustrating. Most of us don't have hours and hours of time to waste, so we try to cut corners and find the fastest, easiest way to complete a fight. Naturally we choose the weapon use over spell use.

It isn't something personal against the developers or some deliberate attempt to circumvent the master design plan of Lichen. It is just that some us don't have time to waste on slow fights. That's why I'm going F2P on a few characters. They aren't going to do enough damage to contribute positively to the battle. Slow, grindy fights with them post update will not be fun or effective, and therefore I see no reason to play them.

It all comes down to balancing fun versus frustration, and if things get out of balance in favor of frustration it is going to hurt the game long term.

And I want to point of that this isn't just rage over the weapon nerf. I posted this thread over a week before the weapon nerf was announced:

Click here

In the thread I said:
In particular what I used to enjoy about Dofus was destroying monsters in PvM with clinical precision, by using spells like Cra Bats Eye, Enu Clumsiness, pushback, etc to keep my distance from monsters as much as possible and minimize the damage they could deal to my team, maybe allowing one or two at a time to reach my characters so they could be killed in an efficient and clean manner. With the recent nerfs over the past several updates it has become harder and harder to keep PvM fights from turning into messy mixed up brawls in which all the monsters rush my team at once, and I have to use 90% of my AP on CC weapon swings just to survive.

The sad thing is that Ankama nerfed many of the support spells and useful spell strategies until the only effective thing to do in many cases was weapon use. Now they are nerfing weapons to force people to use spells again, and trying to make up for it with a very slight decrease in monster HP. When you look at the general trend you see two things at odds with each other: on the one hand damaging the effectiveness of spells, which encourages weapons, and on the other hand damaging the effectiveness of weapons to force people to use nerfed spells.

Overall it is messy, disorganized, and frustrating.
0 0
Score : 647

How about this. Imagine you're a master architect and the masterpiece of your career has just been completed. A number of beautiful buildings within an arboretum, lets say. It opens to the public and everyone loves it. It gets praised for it's beauty. But you start to realize something, most of the people who flock there are only really interested in the fountains at the center of everything. They're not enjoying the gardens or the observatories so much, just the fountains in the center of the park. What do you do? Remove the fountains? Make the fountains uglier? Make the fountains off limits?

Well, if you're following Ankama's business model, that's exactly what you would do. Make that part worse, so it's mediocre like everything else.
1 0
Score : 1707
DoonKan|2013-03-21 22:25:00
Even if that's all you wanted to do because you get a challenge like weapons only you just can not do them at end game.

~KAN~

I believe they're changing the challenge to let you use spells but only deal damage with weapons.
0 0
Score : 388

well , before i start talking about this devblog id like to point out that iv stopped playing dofus for about 4 months now and wont be coming for anther 3 months , so im about to say here is just to help improve this game , make it more fun and even , and not just whining about this nerf , and while i was away from this game and i critically thought about all these new changes in the past months i discovered that ankama ppl are geniuses , they do there best to make this game more even for example muliti accounters with singel players nerf as the change of recipe thing and the dung rooms system was really the soluition of that problem andf im saying that even tho i got 8 account .
however, im not very happy of this nerf cuz it happened too fast as this might be one of the greatest changes that happen to the game , as alot of aspects were not considered as they always did . so overall i think this update should have been done in like 1 year from now , but since they did it anyway i would like to say whats on my mind.
one thing is that CC weapons was not only the damage spammer , it was the get away from lacking spell points to lvl there good spells . as the weapon provides good damage without the need to buy spell points , so they can focus on there other good spells and buffs for other ppl in there team . and now after this balancing ppl are forced to lvl there spells . and will have to get more spells lvled so they can do good. and my point here is that after the spell point change( which can only obtained by kolo) its really too hared to get them , or to buy them as they are very expensive and even if u got the money u wont be able to get enough because ppl rather to change tockens into pebbles wich worth about 300kk more than that scroll. and what makes things worst is that nobody can farm them even if they got 1000000 accounts because kolo is really a slow way to get scrolls and to lvl one spell u need to get 15 spell point scrolls which takes like 5 weeks to get if u got 2-3 accounts (if not more as most ppl got 2-3 hours max to play dofus ) , and u cant kolo with more than 3 accounts in anyway so ur other 5 accounts (if u got 8) would be useless .
and in this nerf u will force ppl to do kolo all the time and this limits there freedom to do other stuff too which is aginest the policy of this game not to mention that ppl will be playing against rich ppl which has there spell lvled even before 2.0 came outs as weapons was there only chance to beat them .
that was my first point , now the 2nd.

when you nerfed weapons u did a good job in 1vs1 pvp and kolo as they are well balanced but u forgotten about pvm ,and about 80% of ppl play pvm not pvp , and this affected pvm in few ways , one of them is the lenght of the fight and even the deficutly of the fights for solo players

the length of the fight thingy is a great probelm as when u nerfed weapons u cost players alot of good damage for example alot of ppl use eni xelor osa combo to get 15+ ap and use stromcloud staff 3 times and with ea hits dealing 1k damage . and after this nerf these ppl will lose 2k damage for ea char which is really unfair . and this would increase the length of fight massively and thanks to the new dung system thingy they will have to do 5 rooms with 8 monstaer with 6k hp , and that would make the dung time not doubled but tripled .and most ppl dont have time to do a 4 hour dung .
the 2nd part is that when u guys did they , u destroyed the solo players and benifet the multi accounters . and thats becuz solo players are struglling to get passed korri dung with all there ecuips so u can imagin what will happen after weapons are hugely weakened . so frigost 3 and even frigost 2 would only be visted the the greats and the richest multi accounters and this as i understand is against the company policy not to mention that they will _Monopolize the items crafts .....

hoping to take this notes seriously , best luck

0 0
Score : 1224

(Schmendrick @ 22 March 2013 14:33)

Well, yes, a class which specializes in healing doesn't hit as hard as a class that specializes in raw damage. That's kinda by design. Just as said raw damage class doesn't heal as well as the healing class, or summon as well as the summoning class, or have as much range as the ranged class, and so on. Different classes have different specialities. You picked a class whose speciality is the opposite of doing mega-damage, so you're not going to get a mega-damage spell.

Moreover, Strengthstorm is an off-element spell corresponding to a stat with very bad softcaps, and off-element spells always have higher base damage to make up for not being able to raise the corresponding stat as high. (It's the same reason Xelors' best stat softcap is Intelligence, but the Xelor spells with the highest base damage are Air, Water, and Earth. Or, for that matter, why Eniripsa's Water and Air damage spells have higher base damage than their Fire attack)

Lightning Strike ftw

0 0
Respond to this thread