FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Puppets of Dramak Part 1: Making of a Cut-scene Animation

By September 10, 2013, 16:00:01

This article is the first in a series of three, in which we will introduce you to the different skills and professions at work in the graphics team, and also show you all the steps that must be completed before our artistic endeavors are ready for you to discover inside the game.

For years, we have followed many of the talented artists who share their creative creations with other players on the forums. We really enjoy following those who share, not only their passion for drawing, animation, level design, etc, but also their advice and works-in-progress! I regularly hang out on specific topics, and it’s a rare day when I don’t find some very pleasant surprises!

That’s why today, the graphic team wanted to play our part in the creative community by revealing to you the various stages of creation of new content in DOFUS.
We will break down the process of creating a cinematic cut-scene, a monster’s animations, and finally, the graphics and level design necessary for creating a new area in the game.

This series will also switch things up a bit, there will not be as much text. It should be no shock that the graphics team prefers to use visuals! If you enjoy this type of presentation, let us hear from you so we can repeat them more often!

Let’s begin with a video of Ben Pirate, who’s drawing the key frame of a piece from our newest animated cut-scene.

Once the initial sketch is complete, it is immediately scanned.

From here, the design changes hands and is sent to Vadim, the designer who cleans and converts this drawing, line-by-line, into a vector illustration so it can be animated:

With this virtual tracing complete and the art vectorized, it’s back to Ben Pirate, who adds new layers of detail to the drawing before starting to incorporate some of the background décor, with assistance from Lorko.

At this point, we have a solid foundation from which to begin to integrate the animation. To ensure top cinematic quality, the file leaves the DOFUS team at this point, and is passed to two animators who usually work on Ankama’s animated series.

Rumo creates the animatic (a dymanic story-board) of the movements of the sprites as they exist in-game so they can be adapted by the animators.

David is given the task of animating Dramak the Schemer, as you can see below:

Meanwhile, Celine is taking care of the puppets:

Then, they work together to animate the entire scene, while respecting the parameters set by the animatic.

And finally, after these two have completed their collaboration, it’s sent to Martin, who handles the compositing! It’s with this step that the atmosphere and tone of the scene is set, plunging you into an epic and immersive cut-scene!

And finally, before it all goes into the game, sound designer Greg adds the aural stimulation.

But, since we are a bit sadistic here, we’re going to make you wait a little longer before showing you the entire scene… You’ll have to fight your way through Dramak’s Theater to experience it for yourself!

See you again soon for part 2: Animating a Monster where Rumo will show you how we create the attack and walking animation for a new monster!

Aasimar

http://www.dofus.com/en/devblog/posts/puppets-dramak-part-1-making-cut-scene-animation
5 0
Reactions 19
Score : 6401

This is aaaaawesome!!

Thanks a lot for posting this so we can have an "inside"-look at how you work.

Aura

1 0
Score : 15686

Incredible! I love seeing behind the scenes looks at how stuff is made. biggrin

Great work guys. I love the art in Dofus. Keep up the good work!

And I just want to mention that with this red and gold theme it looks even more like this sneaky monster is in the attic of Allister's Castle or something. Maybe this is going to be part of an extension of the Royalist quest line?

Edit: Just watched the video. ROFL at 4:45 where someone else is trying to jump in and draw on the drawing and he's slapping their hand away. biggrin

2 0
Score : 984

Pretty cool stuff. Leaves me undisgusted and unoffended.

2 0
Score : 387

Definitly Allister Castle

1 0
Score : 920
Regenerate|2013-09-10 18:33:46
Definitly Allister Castle
It's a new island (terrific!)
Its name is " ’Île de Kartonpath" in french and "Isla Rokartón" in spanish.
Awesome work and let's see what will come with the another parts biggrin 
0 0
Score : 201

I kinda hope that will be around level 130-180 exp based dung. even as im lvl 200 i know some folks of that level are geting really bored of farming mastogob dung for exp, i mean they don't have much else to do.

0 0
Score : 1226

Pretty neat stuff. Love the art form in dofus by the way. Keep up the good work.

0 0
Score : 920
ilarigh|2013-09-10 20:53:58
I kinda hope that will be around level 130-180 exp based dung. even as im lvl 200 i know some folks of that level are geting really bored of farming mastogob dung for exp, i mean they don't have much else to do.
They said it's going to be for many levels but didn't say numbers. I also hope it will be 130-180, or like Vulkania, for everyone xD
Click here
0 0
Score : 51

Cool! make that one class, we want to play with him!! biggrin

0 0
Score : 5163

That guy has really, really long legs.

0 0
Tuckers|2013-09-11 03:20:02
That guy has really, really long legs.

And arms. It looks like when he stands up he'd be as tall as Soft Oak at the very least.
0 0
Score : 1936

Incredibly talented, these designers and animators!!!!! I dont think people who don't work in the creative industry can fully understand the sheer amount of thought, creativity, TIME and talent that it takes to pull off something seemingly simple like this preview. What I would give to work with these guys and learn from them! Can't wait to see more. Please keep them coming smile and congratulate the team on a job well done on all their graphic endeavours. Keep those artists well fed and happy

0 0
Score : 22

is he new player or new boss ?

0 0
Score : 2

Well i really like this draw he got a rare talent and i hope this will be our new char please mace it free not with p2p or ogrines

0 0
bardhi-drini|2013-09-12 23:00:20
Well i really like this draw he got a rare talent and i hope this will be our new char please mace it free not with p2p or ogrines

It's not a new character class. It is a dungeon boss.
0 0
Score : 988

Me likey!

0 0
Score : 23

Bardhi drini nqfar serveri luni??

0 0
Score : 3

Plis Polish Server XD

0 0
Score : 20

Wow, that animation is super impressive. Love it!

0 0
Respond to this thread