Ankama Trackers

Balancing 2.17

By #[Nerodos] - ADMIN - December 02, 2013, 17:00:00
Reactions 162
Score : 379
brrrrritt|2013-12-03 13:47:23
tartanosx|2013-12-03 12:36:32
Nerodos|2013-12-02 17:00:00
In addition to these trophy changes, we have performed a minor bit of balancing on the Iop and Masqueraider classes: the Intimidation spell is restricted to two casts per target and three casts per turn rather than three casts per target and four casts per turn. The pushback damage from Boliche is now 1.

Another useless update. Why did you nerf certain class even further??

2 intimidation per target is a joke.

First, Iop got Vitality Nerf then Wrath Nerf, which cut off alot of IOP damage, then Precipitation Nerf, What Now?!? Intimidation seriously??? Pure STR iop doesnt have much spells to use anymore. Iops has too many useless spell like duel? what is that for? player can simply push u or use a release. Friction? another useless spell that no one ever use.

IOP being a Close combat, often surrounded by mobs, how are u supposed to escaped from 3 or mobs now? Jump out?

Iop has already have 0 survivability skills.

Scram is on the other hard still able to cast invisible on 1st turn.

Feca Needless to say full of Res, survivability skills.

So what is the next? further nerf after this useless update? Precipitation remove? Concentration Removed? Pressure Removed? And We are left with a punch? lol lol lol

Rather than nerfing spells which was already screwed up and imbalanced in the first place, you should modify / remove certain trophy
Totally agree, it's always the iop that gets nerfed.

You forgot the nerf of strengthstorm which went from 3 to 2 attacks per turn (before lvl6) way back when i started. Also jump went from twice per turn to once per turn. Loads of buffs also went too.

Now they just have a pile of useless spells and a few strong ones. Idiots on dofus don't understand that it is THE damage dealing class; it has loads of limitations and is easily beaten. Everybody screams overpowered cos they charge in and get surprised when the Iop thumps them. May be we should complain that eni's heal too much and should be nerfed and then let others heal more too.

May be when Iops stop being the damage dealing class, Ankama can stop nerfing them and the pathetic whiners on here can go and complain about another class to nerf as they clearly don't have the skill to play their own characters properly.

Yep you are right. With these continuous mindless nerfs with each updates, it`s expected that many player would lose interest in the game.

Look what you have done... and you still wondering why player base is decreasing?

I can finally understand now why, many players would like to have a version 1.26 dofus..
0 0
Score : 283

again, rebalancing based off PvP, get over this already, you want EVERYONE to PvP, not everyone wants to. that is why I have all but quit. you have ruined this game. I'll pop in from time to time to see how much you have ruined this game. please stop, go back to 1.29 gameplay, the 2.0 graphics look nice but the old game was MUCH MUCH better due to the lack of so called "improvements" which ruined the game

as i said a long time ago, make ONE class, let you choose a BRANCH of spells to choose from, let the player choose what the char will look like, aka ecaflip, iop, etc, this is the only way you will TRULY balance this game. nerfing pisses off existing players, and assures those of us that have moved on, that we made the right choice.

0 0
Score : 889
Out of the 15 classes that exist. Srams aren't even in the top half, when it comes to Kolossium rating.
Dofus is not solely a PvP game; have you seen Sram's PvM performance? That I've found to be quite impressive.

Srams work only in certain lineups on certain maps. In other situations, they crumble. While most other classes can work in any situation.
Again, are you referring to the entire gamely, mainly PvM, or just to PvP?

In order to attack someone with LA, I need to be within 2 range of them, putting myself at great danger, to deal an average of 1500 damage (accounting for the average Earth resistance a player has).
Pick ANY Cra build, and they'll out-damage that. And even if they don't immediately, (which they will, but for the sake of argument...) they'll more than make up for it by being 20+ squares away from you, and stealing your range in the process.
Having seen srams and cras used properly, a sram can do far more damage. Generally the cras I've seen doing great damage are abusing daggers, so keeping distance should solve that issue.

Take Feca for example. If a Feca applies all their shields and Fraction, they reduce my 1000 damage LA, to a pathetic 200+ damage spell. And unless we have a specific class to counter that (to unbewitch), we're pretty much doomed.
Fecas seem to be an issue for everyone.

Also, keep in mind that Srams, apart from Invisibility, have no survivability spells.
They can't heal (Cras; also, Chakra Concentration is laughable), they can't buff their HP(Iops), they can't shield themselves.
I think invisibility does, in a sense, count as a "survivability spell".

So when a Sram comes close enough to do real raw damage. Unless their enemy is already weak. They will die.

They shouldn't try to come close enough, they should be using their traps and keeping away. I wonder what a double is for :wacko:

So tell me, because I really don't get it... What's the end-goal here? To stop people from playing Srams at all?

No, to balance the class for 3 builds.

They're nerfing Str build, a build that people rarely use.
They're forcing a horrible Int build on people, that nobody uses.
The only thing left arguably is the Agi build.

I think to say Agi is the only thing left is just not orthodox. On Solar, not only does one of the few people on my friends list happen to have an int/str sram, but most people I talk about, even those who don't kolo often, seem to know about them well. I suppose Rosal has an, erm, int sram deficiency biggrin

Is that it? Does Ankama want people to use just one build for Srams? Because even though they say, they want people to have choices in builds, the way they're doing it, it will cause an opposite effect.
They're turning Srams into one-hit-wonders.

No, they want three builds and it looks to be going well.

IF you manage to chain 10 traps together by making a complicated web of repelling and soon-to-be tricky traps, your build will pay off. Other than that, it's mediocre and doesn't specialize in anything.
The heal is pathetic, the overall damage dealt by Srams will be lowered. The amount of traps a Sram can dish out per turn will be lower.

Does it seem unreasonable that a Sram can't spam an entire map with Tricky Traps, now?

tim-holcomb|2013-12-04 12:38:07
again, rebalancing based off PvP, get over this already, you want EVERYONE to PvP, not everyone wants to. that is why I have all but quit. you have ruined this game. I'll pop in from time to time to see how much you have ruined this game. please stop, go back to 1.29 gameplay, the 2.0 graphics look nice but the old game was MUCH MUCH better due to the lack of so called "improvements" which ruined the game

as i said a long time ago, make ONE class, let you choose a BRANCH of spells to choose from, let the player choose what the char will look like, aka ecaflip, iop, etc, this is the only way you will TRULY balance this game. nerfing pisses off existing players, and assures those of us that have moved on, that we made the right choice.
As I've have pointed out and in the opinion of some there is no logical reason to hodgepodge PvM and PvP spells non-separately. I agree things are going to get ugly in general if they continue to go without separating the two. I think the idea of one class makes no sense; I know of no other MMO that does that or would think to do that either. In the future, though, I hope just like with new faces, they likewise give us a few, or at least a couple different bodies/armor appearance choices because current the classes are still too generic and faces only help a little. Anyways, I don't really miss version 1.2x fights. Alls I remember is long, unrewarding fights. Being proud of earning level 20 or 40, yuck. Now I'm proud of earning level 160 because I feel like my hard work goes somewhere.
0 0
Score : 416
PaulMrPaul|2013-12-04 13:50:14
Out of the 15 classes that exist. Srams aren't even in the top half, when it comes to Kolossium rating.
Dofus is not solely a PvP game; have you seen Sram's PvM performance? That I've found to be quite impressive.

Of course I meant for PvP. Who cares if a Sram has strong PvM performance? Who's gonna complain? The monsters in the game?

Srams work only in certain lineups on certain maps. In other situations, they crumble. While most other classes can work in any situation.
Again, are you referring to the entire gamely, mainly PvM, or just to PvP?

PvP. It's pretty much the only thing that matters, when it comes to class balancing.

In order to attack someone with LA, I need to be within 2 range of them, putting myself at great danger, to deal an average of 1500 damage (accounting for the average Earth resistance a player has).
Pick ANY Cra build, and they'll out-damage that. And even if they don't immediately, (which they will, but for the sake of argument...) they'll more than make up for it by being 20+ squares away from you, and stealing your range in the process.
Having seen srams and cras used properly, a sram can do far more damage. Generally the cras I've seen doing great damage are abusing daggers, so keeping distance should solve that issue.

You do realize that "keeping distance" from a Cra means you're going to die, right?

Int Cra, if they hit all 3 players with their Explosive Arrow, they'll deal ~1200 damage. Since they can use that arrow twice, that's 2400 damage dealt total in 1 turn.

A Sram's Mass Trap:
1. Doesn't have the same AoE range
2. Has weaker damage than an Explosive Arrow
3. Can't be cast twice per turn.

Cha Cra, while having less AoE, they can still hit 2 characters pretty often with Slow Down Arrow. That's about 800-900 damage dealt total (assuming 2 characters) AND AP stolen.
In a later turn, they'll have a 1000 damage nuke for you.

Absorptive Arrow deals about 500-700 damage. That's a long-range Lethal Attack (for most Srams) that HEALS you. And you can't hide from Plaguing Arrow, that's another 300-350 damage per hit.

Now, let's take a look at the damage a Sram can do, I'll use my damage as an example, even though it's much higher than that of the average Sram.

My Tricky Trap, deals between 300 and 400 damage.
Lets assume I use all of them, and in the following turn, the enemy triggers them all (which is never going to happen).

That's 5 traps, meaning 1500-2000 damage. (again, not likely, unlike the other scenarios which I've mentioned)

But since no good Sram simply spams Tricky Traps, let's look at other things.

Mass Trap, assuming I get 2 characters in it. That's about 450 damage per character, which means ~900 damage OR (assuming 3 people - 1350 damage ONCE per turn)
My Mass+Lethal combo (with fear or repelling trap) deals about 1100-1200 single-target, and maybe an additional 400-450 damage if someone is near that player.

My Poison Trap deals about 800 damage after all 3 ticks (give or take, depending on the resistance).

Now, for comparison, I have 1206 Str, 158 power and 117 earth damage. Something, not a lot of Srams have.
So the likely damage you'll see out of a Str Sram, are lower than mine, which AGAIN. DOES NOT compare to a Cra's.

Agi Sram damage is even lower (but more consistent) so I'm not even going to mention it here.

PaulMrPaul|2013-12-04 13:50:14

Take Feca for example. If a Feca applies all their shields and Fraction, they reduce my 1000 damage LA, to a pathetic 200+ damage spell. And unless we have a specific class to counter that (to unbewitch), we're pretty much doomed.
Fecas seem to be an issue for everyone.

Nerf plox

Also, keep in mind that Srams, apart from Invisibility, have no survivability spells.
They can't heal (Cras; also, Chakra Concentration is laughable), they can't buff their HP(Iops), they can't shield themselves.
I think invisibility does, in a sense, count as a "survivability spell".

Hence the "apart from invisibility". But it's only a quasi-survivability spell, as it gives NO direct protection from incoming damage. Real survivability spells actually give something tangible.

So when a Sram comes close enough to do real raw damage. Unless their enemy is already weak. They will die.

They shouldn't try to come close enough, they should be using their traps and keeping away. I wonder what a double is for :wacko:

Yep, because making people step on Tricky Traps is SO EASY. Right?
Now you're gonna tell me "read your opponent" or some other Sun-Tzu themed response.
The most likely scenario you're looking at is Mass+Tricky triggering (if we're at mid-long range) which is about 850 damage total. (assuming max damage)

Reading your opponent in a 3v3 situation is much harder than when there's 8 of them bunched up together. And no, nobody who does PvP cares about AvA or perc fights. They give no direct benefit to the player itself (unless you're protecting YOUR perc), but again that's an indirect benefit.

So tell me, because I really don't get it... What's the end-goal here? To stop people from playing Srams at all?

No, to balance the class for 3 builds.

Yes, that's what they've said, but the way they're going about it, is just plain stupid.

They're nerfing Str build, a build that people rarely use.
They're forcing a horrible Int build on people, that nobody uses.
The only thing left arguably is the Agi build.

I think to say Agi is the only thing left is just not orthodox. On Solar, not only does one of the few people on my friends list happen to have an int/str sram, but most people I talk about, even those who don't kolo often, seem to know about them well. I suppose Rosal has an, erm, int sram deficiency biggrin

Try: ZERO

Is that it? Does Ankama want people to use just one build for Srams? Because even though they say, they want people to have choices in builds, the way they're doing it, it will cause an opposite effect.
They're turning Srams into one-hit-wonders.

No, they want three builds and it looks to be going well.

Going well? If by "Srams will be useless" then yeah... It's going superbly well.

IF you manage to chain 10 traps together by making a complicated web of repelling and soon-to-be tricky traps, your build will pay off. Other than that, it's mediocre and doesn't specialize in anything.
The heal is pathetic, the overall damage dealt by Srams will be lowered. The amount of traps a Sram can dish out per turn will be lower.

Does it seem unreasonable that a Sram can't spam an entire map with Tricky Traps, now?

There's a BIG difference between "spam" and "use". It's a good Area Denial tool and deals moderate damage. Now it will be a complete downgrade, as I've explained before.
Pure int Srams will never be a thing.
Str/Int hybrid Srams are so expensive to make (Inky Veil) that the return reward for making them is pathetic. Especially when realize that you'd have to do complex trap chains to make the most of your class. Again, in PvP Kolossium.

Nobody cares about other forms of PvP, since they're near-fruitless.
0 -1
Score : 6188

Dont really care about the changes as such as I don't personally use them classes.

I am just sick to death though of changes happening all because of pvp. a side part of the game in which the minority do. And they are the minority clearly otherwise people wouldn't be waiting hours to get into a fight, even on rushu it can take up to an hour, sometimes more.

also... where exactly have people been moaning about pushback damage? on the french forums? Few on here maybe, which again. the tiny minority of players actually use.

I do love ankamas logic.

1 0
Score : 3

cross-server kolossium? please? pretty please?

0 0
Score : 889
clarkymark|2013-12-04 22:01:07
Dont really care about the changes as such as I don't personally use them classes.

I am just sick to death though of changes happening all because of pvp. a side part of the game in which the minority do. And they are the minority clearly otherwise people wouldn't be waiting hours to get into a fight, even on rushu it can take up to an hour, sometimes more.

also... where exactly have people been moaning about pushback damage? on the french forums? Few on here maybe, which again. the tiny minority of players actually use.

I do love ankamas logic.
And if you look at how PvPers behave. They seem to have an attitude that says: "What are you talking about PvM, this game is PvP and that's what I play it for". They stay secluded in their little kolo world, and PvM to them is some stupid task that must be done for quests or achievements. The arrogance, to me, is stomach turning.
0 0
Score : 50
PaulMrPaul|2013-12-05 07:19:54

I do love ankamas logic.
And if you look at how PvPers behave. They seem to have an attitude that says: "What are you talking about PvM, this game is PvP and that's what I play it for". They stay secluded in their little kolo world, and PvM to them is some stupid task that must be done for quests or achievements. The arrogance, to me, is stomach turning.
*hulk hogan voice* You got it brother
0 0
Score : 87

By the way, playing both Ecaflip and a Sram as my core team members, with the current forthcoming changes I cannot picture not receiving a Magic Orb. kkthx.

0 0
PaulMrPaul|2013-12-05 07:19:54

I do love ankamas logic.
anyone who stupidly says this is a pvp game or has ever been ofically a pvp game is factually wrong. You will get some people saying it was pvp first in beta... which is a stupid counter argument as its beta... the game officially starts on its official release day. NOT beta. Thats not opinionated. Its FACT. Beta is just that. Beta. Testing purposes only. Nothing should ever count if its beta.
0 0
Score : 1180

Can anyone point out to me the list of complaints about pushback damage being a big problem? I follow these forums pretty closely and to be honest, people are complaining about many things (Alliances, Int iop's, Nerfing, multi-accounts vs single accounts etc) but no body seems to be that annoyed with pushback issues.

So, my question is: Does Ankama even bother about the non-french speaking community at all? (I assume that they are the ones doing the complaining). I do not know what the proportion is of native French players vs all other dofus players. It does seem to me that if they want Dofus to be an internationally played game they are going to have to move away from their small minded, inward looking mentality and start looking at what the International community wants from this game too! They are not listening to us in these forums.

Oh and P.S. Stop nerfing characters and, Players, stop complaining about OP characters. That would also be a good start.

0 0
Score : 11360

Generally, developers do not make changes based on complaints in the forums. Developers usually make changes based on datamining combat information that they get from the game itself. It doesn't matter who complains or doesn't complain, they're going to make changes based on their actual data, not the people who yell the loudest.

So, no, they didn't make this change because people on the French forums were complaining about pushback damage. Nobody was complaining about pushback damage anywhere on any forums. The devs probably just saw that pushback damage made it too easy to get around resistances and shields (especially in PvM, since most enemies don't have pushback resistance), so now they've made it harder to base your entire strategy around pushback damage and nothing else.

One of the things I've noticed is that, more and more, the devs are definitely trying to give each class many different options so that not all members of the same class have to play exactly the same, and that each character has several different options even in the same battle (so if Strategy X isn't working against a particular monster, they have an equally-effective Strategy Y that will work). Pushback damage was apparently so powerful that a lot of people no longer needed a Strategy Y.

Granted, I do feel that games should be a little unbalanced in the players' favor (instead of in the monsters' favor, which is what lichen seems to prefer), so I'm not really in agreement with this change myself. Pushback damage is the main thing that made Fate of Ecaflip more powerful than Playful Claw, and it's the only thing that makes Boliche keep pace with Furia and Capering, so which this update, such skills will fall behind.

0 0
Darkstorm|2013-12-05 13:10:49
Generally, developers do not make changes based on complaints in the forums. Developers usually make changes based on datamining combat information that they get from the game itself. It doesn't matter who complains or doesn't complain, they're going to make changes based on their actual data, not the people who yell the loudest.

So, no, they didn't make this change because people on the French forums were complaining about pushback damage. Nobody was complaining about pushback damage anywhere on any forums. The devs probably just saw that pushback damage made it too easy to get around resistances and shields (especially in PvM, since most enemies don't have pushback resistance), so now they've made it harder to base your entire strategy around pushback damage and nothing else.

One of the things I've noticed is that, more and more, the devs are definitely trying to give each class many different options so that not all members of the same class have to play exactly the same, and that each character has several different options even in the same battle (so if Strategy X isn't working against a particular monster, they have an equally-effective Strategy Y that will work). Pushback damage was apparently so powerful that a lot of people no longer needed a Strategy Y.

Granted, I do feel that games should be a little unbalanced in the players' favor (instead of in the monsters' favor, which is what lichen seems to prefer), so I'm not really in agreement with this change myself. Pushback damage is the main thing that made Fate of Ecaflip more powerful than Playful Claw, and it's the only thing that makes Boliche keep pace with Furia and Capering, so which this update, such skills will fall behind.

Thank you for that explanation. Very interesting on datamining but why did Ankama say in the OP:
" Pushback damage has been the source of many an animated debate for the past few months, and notably so after the implementation of trophies with debuffs and some Frigost III items."

Do they mean by 'animated debate' that they actually just talked about it internally and even then it was contentious? Or were they just trying to justify what they were doing by pretending that the community had brought up the issue?

Research in the roll out of public policy by national governments highlights the importance of public debate PRIOR to the policy being proposed. It would seem that this would be a smart lesson for Ankama to learn.
0 0
Score : 27377
Do they mean by 'animated debate' that they actually just talked about it internally and even then it was contentious?
They probably mean both internally(developer to developer) and on the Z48 threads on the french forums.

Research in the roll out of public policy by national governments highlights the importance of public debate PRIOR to the policy being proposed.
Why do you think they make changelogs public before the updates go live? To get feedback from the players.
0 0
brrrrritt|2013-12-05 13:51:42
Darkstorm|2013-12-05 13:10:49

Thank you for that explanation. Very interesting on datamining but why did Ankama say in the OP:
" Pushback damage has been the source of many an animated debate for the past few months, and notably so after the implementation of trophies with debuffs and some Frigost III items."

Do they mean by 'animated debate' that they actually just talked about it internally and even then it was contentious? Or were they just trying to justify what they were doing by pretending that the community had brought up the issue?

Research in the roll out of public policy by national governments highlights the importance of public debate PRIOR to the policy being proposed. It would seem that this would be a smart lesson for Ankama to learn.

I've mentioned this before, but there is always discussion within the development team before new changes are added. Even if all of the game designers are in agreement that a change should be made, there is usually some discussion about how best to implement that change and which methods will be the best combination of code-compliance, simplicity, and balance. In the case of pushback damage, there were lots of possible solutions debated within the team.

That being said, I know of very few cases where players who are being told that their go-to strategy is about to be nerfed would approve or agree that their nerf is "deserved," and even if the rest of the community shouted them down and provided the best arguments to have the nerf go through, I have serious doubts that those who were nerfed would feel any better about being nerfed, or believe that the nerf was truly justified if they were nerfed by the decision of the community rather than being nerfed by the decision of the developers.

Being nerfed just feels bad. The developers know this, and they try not to do so unless they feel it is definitely necessary for the health of the game, but that usually doesn't make anyone feel any better about being nerfed, and it's perfectly understandable that you and others on this thread would argue against it. It's not a positive experience, overall. And on behalf of the team, I apologize to you or anyone else who is feeling that with this update, and I will be writing a report based on your feedback for the devs.

But don't forget about the beta server, which is the place where you can actually debate these decisions with the development team directly, before the final change is rolled out.

I am sorry Izmar, I really don't buy in to the "well if your character is going to be nerfed you would complain wouldn't you" argument. It would be easy to say "hey, you are paid to say what Ankama want, so why would anyone listen to what you say?". Both are pretty childish arguments and don't really have a place here in the forum imo.

I have consistently argued against pretty much every nerf that Ankama introduced, for a number of reasons. It make Ankama's customers unhappy and reduces players challenge to beat a particular type of class. Any nerf of a character type effects me whether I play that character or not. I know the hard work your customers put in to making their character as good as possible and spend time, money and kamas making a build that they think will 'rock' it.

I don't believe that Ankama listens to the international community (I am not sure they listen to the French one either;-). I also believe (from experience in the real world) that when 'developmental teams' are opening up something for discussion the issue has already sufficiently progressed down the developmental timeline that makes it very difficult to make what can be financially awkard decisions.

0 -1
Score : 27377
I don't believe that Ankama listens to the international community (I am not sure they listen to the French one either;-)
They just recently made a huge change and went back on one of their plans because of player feedback.
0 0

the whole balancing act is pointless. its impossible to balance these types of games. if they want a balanced game then only create one class, have one build, have the same equips with the same stats for everyone.

the closest this game was to ever being balanced was the first year and a bit (maybe bit longer, im getting old now my memory isnt that good lol) of its official release. all up until 1.27 was it? or 1.29? whichever was the one with mega nerfs for tons of classes that really started the whole backlash of nerf moaning, and a lot of really decent genuine people literally did quit for good.

0 0
Score : 7685

Definitely further back than that. 1.20 was the first weapons nerf, and 1.18 was the Bluff nerf (remember when it used to be 3 AP at all levels?), and I'm not sure what update this was, but there were nerfs all over in order to balance things (and the game had only been open for five months at that point).

This is not some recent phenomenon. Buffing and nerfing has been going on literally since the game opened.

0 0
Score : 2031

While "perfect" balance is impossible, balance is still important in games. It's not just about fairness or equality per se as much as it is about creating depth and giving players viable options. In an unbalanced game players will tend to gravitate towards the obvious stronger strategies (in the case of dofus, that would mean stronger classes, builds, and team combinations), which makes for a boring game.

What annoys me though is that this game is nearly ten years in the making and there's still a need for major class overhauls. That really shouldn't be the case.

0 0
Respond to this thread