FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

New anti bot system implemented last week is a godsend

By iamreallythebomb - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - June 09, 2014, 11:47:13

Hello all,
[Tot] recently announced that Ankama is upping the way they do war with botters following the mass amounts of credit card fraud. Last week, Agride (a French server) became the 'test' server of their new anti-bot system. I imagine it was picked because it's the first server alphabetically.

The system kicked in on Tuesday and since then 10000 accounts were pulled from Agrides ladder (banned) before the ladder went bust for every server but Dark Vlad.
It's now Monday, a full 6 days since the system was put in and there are still no bots on the server. No profession bots, no F2P Cras, no selling bots or spam bots.

Despite being a bit of a whinge when it comes to Ankama, I'd like to say congratulations and I look forward to seeing this system take place on every server.

Tot Speech link (In French)

Click here

Agride players remarking that thousands of accounts have vanished overnight

Click here

0 0
First Ankama intervention

Here's a translation of the post in question:

Thank you all for your great messages, it's really nice. Now to get to the bottom of the discussion about our troubles with our botting friends, the DOFUS team has had ideas and recommendations for a very long time. Truth is, the upper-management (and me along with the others) has always had a hard time taking drastic measures. Each time we fought them, they came back with newer solutions. They need very little time to adapt to what we put in place. And we're having trouble measuring how much of an impact their disappearance would make...

Now, the decision has been made to be more aggressive. You will be hearing about it this week. We will harden our actions against them, but also against players who buy what they're selling. It's not funny for us but it's unavoidable if we wish to be truly efficient. We have to fight the buyers as much as the sellers. There's a risk that this will mean the temporary ban of players who buy from this market and make it thrive.

One of the big issues that scares us, is that our "payment option" partners are starting to give us the side eye and it is entirely possible that, at one time or another, they'll stop allowing us to use their services. We've already had ultimatums from some of them, not to mention that each fraudulent payment costs us fees. Thankfully, the Support team has been busting their asses and a lot of people at Ankama have mobilized to help and the fraud issue has been solved for a few days (here's hoping it sticks).

Lastly, as I was saying earlier, we will soon be launching a test on a server. If that test proves conclusive, we will apply our solution to other servers, one by one. The biggest questions we have pertain to the impact that this will have in-game. Considering the money this traffic generated, we can easily imagine that there will be retaliation... And we have to keep in mind that, in a way, our enemies bring something positive to the game. Testing on one server will allow us to analyze what works and what doesn't, and it's very important to ease into things.

On a final note, regarding the communication, I'd say it's not easy for the teams to send messages like I do. I write the way I talk and I don't bother confirming if what I'm saying is correct or not. No-one's going to yell at me. Well, yes, I can imagine I'm not gonna hear the end of it anytime soon... I've always been like that, ever since Ankama started (oh, quick footnote, we celebrated our thirteenth anniversary on May 16).
But as the years go by, we have been doing things more and more professionally, in many ways, and clearly communication isn't my game. I'm too hot-blooded and emotionally invested in our universes to be able to speak calmly about them. The oldest of you might remember some angry discussions with a few players. Basically, I have been the occasional jerk... What I mean is, many of us like having this direct talk with you, but we refrain ourselves from talking this way all the time because it can go sideways real fast.

Anyway, thank you once again, and your message has made it through, we'll keep you posted about what we do in the future.
See message in context
Reactions 17
Score : 25951

I hope we don't suffer too much collateral damage.

I also hope the botting company takes a longer time to bypass the new anti-bot feature.

0 0

Here's a translation of the post in question:

Thank you all for your great messages, it's really nice. Now to get to the bottom of the discussion about our troubles with our botting friends, the DOFUS team has had ideas and recommendations for a very long time. Truth is, the upper-management (and me along with the others) has always had a hard time taking drastic measures. Each time we fought them, they came back with newer solutions. They need very little time to adapt to what we put in place. And we're having trouble measuring how much of an impact their disappearance would make...

Now, the decision has been made to be more aggressive. You will be hearing about it this week. We will harden our actions against them, but also against players who buy what they're selling. It's not funny for us but it's unavoidable if we wish to be truly efficient. We have to fight the buyers as much as the sellers. There's a risk that this will mean the temporary ban of players who buy from this market and make it thrive.

One of the big issues that scares us, is that our "payment option" partners are starting to give us the side eye and it is entirely possible that, at one time or another, they'll stop allowing us to use their services. We've already had ultimatums from some of them, not to mention that each fraudulent payment costs us fees. Thankfully, the Support team has been busting their asses and a lot of people at Ankama have mobilized to help and the fraud issue has been solved for a few days (here's hoping it sticks).

Lastly, as I was saying earlier, we will soon be launching a test on a server. If that test proves conclusive, we will apply our solution to other servers, one by one. The biggest questions we have pertain to the impact that this will have in-game. Considering the money this traffic generated, we can easily imagine that there will be retaliation... And we have to keep in mind that, in a way, our enemies bring something positive to the game. Testing on one server will allow us to analyze what works and what doesn't, and it's very important to ease into things.

On a final note, regarding the communication, I'd say it's not easy for the teams to send messages like I do. I write the way I talk and I don't bother confirming if what I'm saying is correct or not. No-one's going to yell at me. Well, yes, I can imagine I'm not gonna hear the end of it anytime soon... I've always been like that, ever since Ankama started (oh, quick footnote, we celebrated our thirteenth anniversary on May 16).
But as the years go by, we have been doing things more and more professionally, in many ways, and clearly communication isn't my game. I'm too hot-blooded and emotionally invested in our universes to be able to speak calmly about them. The oldest of you might remember some angry discussions with a few players. Basically, I have been the occasional jerk... What I mean is, many of us like having this direct talk with you, but we refrain ourselves from talking this way all the time because it can go sideways real fast.

Anyway, thank you once again, and your message has made it through, we'll keep you posted about what we do in the future.
Score : 2278
iamreallythebomb|2014-06-09 11:47:13
for every server but Dark Vlad.
I
FOR EVERY SERVER BUT DARK VLAD????

Dear Izmar, I am really feeling bullied right now. First I found out at the convention that Dark vlad does not have a community or "it's a special case". Now I see that anti-bots software is applied to all servers but dark vlad ( the most bot infected server)??? Why do you hate dark vlad ankama? It's a nice server you know!

And if we are indeed another community why don't we have a forum for our own? I'll be more than happy to translate
0 0
Score : 315
kubala55|2014-06-09 17:15:23

Dear Izmar, I am really feeling bullied right now. First I found out at the convention that Dark vlad does not have a community or "it's a special case". Now I see that anti-bots software is applied to all servers but dark vlad ( the most bot infected server)??? Why do you hate dark vlad ankama? It's a nice server you know!

And if we are indeed another community why don't we have a forum for our own? I'll be more than happy to translate
I believe he means that the dofus ladder is broken for all servers except for Dark Vlad, and not that every server will get this anti-bot measure except Dark Vlad
0 0
Score : 15637

Awesome! Great work by the devs smile 

0 0
Score : 918
kubala55|2014-06-09 17:15:23
for every server but Dark Vlad.
I

The new anti bot system is in BETA TEST. This Beta antibot system is being testing only in the Agride server (french).
When it's ready, Ankama will implement it in all the servers.
0 0
Score : 2278

Ow ok, he said oon all servers, sorry Izmar then wink 

0 0
Score : 3747

Im glad that a lot of bot accounts got banned to reduce lag and stop hurting the economy. About 7-10 days later though, bots are re-multiplying fast again and even copper in the mine has become virtually impossible to mine once again. Farming and Lumberjack to also has its problems. Tough to find a way to exterminate them once and for all.

0 0
Score : 5161

I haven't played this game for a year or so, but recently joined back in Dark vlad and enjoying the game. Being curious about all the new features this game has to bring, the first thing I noticed was the heavy amount of bots, they were everywhere, from Kolossium to Astrub and also in every members area.

Fact that Darkvlad being left out kinda disappoints me. Normally I wouldn't complain, but the server almost couldn't stand itself anymore and have collapsed several times. Kinda funny though, as there's only around 500 "normal" players around at the same time.

0 0

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

If you mean Dark Vlad is left out of the new anti-bot measures, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Not only all measures from this old post have been implemented on all servers, but Dark Vlad is serving as a testing ground for even harsher measures. More information about that can be found here.

My bad, but I read that Dark Vlad was getting left out again...

Guess I missed a lot, but it's interesting to find out what Ankama has been improved with!

0 0
Score : 27402

It says later on in this very same topic, after someone said the same thing you did about Dark Vlad, that it would be implemented on all servers. Your question answered itself, in this very topic, before you posted.

0 0

Effective as OP mentoined, it's hard to tell how it affected our server, Dark Vlad. The server is litterely crawling with bots from all levels, even 200 and it's filling fast.

The fact how succesfull OP's story is upon those bots make me really curious what kind of bots we're talking about. I've never seen bots going Kolossium or roaming over the whole frigost continent.

0 0
Score : 220

On Solar, Bots still own Eltneg Wood as well as other areas such as farming, and even breeding. Taking away their chump change from dopple fights and Captain Amakna just hurts the average player while the Bots laugh all the way to their banks. Punishing the majority for the nefarious goings on of a few is so kindergarten, and means that dofus STILL does not have anti-bot software, and, most likely never will.

1 0
Score : 27402

I haven't noticed as many bots in Eltneg or the mines lately, even the bot favorites like Yew have been available most of the time in Eltneg and Copper is almost always available in the mines, and sometimes even have stars.

I do see the bots from time to time of course, and sometimes there are even bots that are around for weeks at a time in the mines or in the forest, but overall it is far improved from what it used to be. You can actually level a miner or lumberjack now, whereas it was much harder before.

0 0
Score : 3023

Any sightings when this system is going to cover servers? With the last update bots were gone for few whole days yet they're back by now.

0 0
Score : 1520

Nobody knows, I doubt even Ankama knows.

0 0
Respond to this thread