By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

The Complete List of (Nearly) Useless Spells

By ChAiNcHoKeR - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - February 20, 2015, 12:28:50
Reactions 51
Score : 7457

Bwork is semi-useful, especially for farming weak mobs. Buff it, the double lightning does decent AoE damage. True, at higher levels its wis is too low to reduce mp, and it's AI is useless so it dies nearly instantly (say hello to Osa summons in general...)

0 0
Score : 2521
Lynn-Reiginleif|2015-02-21 03:33:57
Vertigo? It often stops monsters from moving, and I have seen it deal pretty heavy damage when they opt to move. My boyfriend uses it pretty often. Also, it doesn't cost 5 AP. You can use it when you are going to throw the monster anyway. It's supposed to be a defensively cast spell, to punish for moving, not to deal damage.

So, let's address the real worst spell in the game, that big elephant in the room, shall we?

1) Name of class spell: eniripsa's word of thorn.

2) Why it is (nearly) useless:
It will never reflect even 50 damage. The effect is absurdly week and the spell is absolutely pointless. At lvl 6, with a lvl 200 eniripsa, this spell won't deal more than 50 damage at the attacker, and I'm pretty sure resistances just eliminate the damage most of the time.

3) How it should be improved:
It shouldn't. It should be deleted for something better.
I don't know what monsters you are fighting, but the ones I fight against don't bother with this poison and just use their MP, be it sometimes less then normal. Monsters are programmed in such a way that they will not do stuff which will kill them, and mostly prioritize damage over passing turns, so if you vertigo a monster, and it can still reach you (which is the case 90% of times on F3) it won't stop moving, it will just do what it would do otherwise and take the puny 500~600 damage.
The 5 AP is calculated like this: you will need 1AP to pick, 3 AP to vertigo and 1 AP to throw. the spell loses its effect if you don't throw it becaue monsters will just move 1MP and end next to you, so there's your 5 AP

now, back to the "real worst spell": eniripsa's word of thorn is actualy a better defensive spell then vertigo. Agreed, it doesn't reflect anything but it will keep PVM enemies from attacking this target if they can attack someone else. Again, learn your AI.. You'll learn that monsters all work in a certain way. One of those things is, as mentioned before, to prioritze damage over other things (provided they can cause damage). Another thing about monsters is that they always opt to attack those with no buffs which will harm the monster itself. So if you cast word of thorn on an enemy which is at 30% HP, but will not die when hit by the next monster, the monsters will prioritze other players to attack as they see all kinds of reflect, shield, resis, ... as possible "walls" to crash onto. there's a reason certain people nearly ever get attacked in PVM (such as my panda). High resis makes invulnereable in PVM. Monsters will always go for the most damage, thus the lowest resis OR the easiest kill. Word of thorn works in such a way that the monsters see this as an obstacle to avoid, equal to high resis player.
0 0
Score : 6092

First off: if you grab a monster, you are most likely going to throw him away, then run as much as you can. Assuming you had to walk 2 squares to the monster, you had 5 MP, the monster has 5~6 MP and your chamrak is leveled up, you can end up at 9 range away from him (maybe more if there were any obstacles in front of him). So, he probably won't be walking up to you. If he is further away, and you would need to spend all your MP to get him, chances are, it's not worth it. Using alcoholic breath or terror would probably be a better choice. Or throwing your allies and running away yourself. If the monster has a ton of MP, great, you deal more damage (especially because this kind of monster tends to come in, deal damage, then run away). 500~600 is usually about 10% of their hp, which, for 3 AP, I would say it's pretty significant.

I know you counted karcham/chamrak on the cost. What I'm saying is: you SHOULDN'T use vertigo if you're not going to pick the monster and throw it away anyway. You shouldn't use karcham/chamrak JUST to use vertigo. You should use vertigo whenever you would pick up a monster anyway. That way, your 2 AP would be spent anyway, you're using 3 more for a damage bonus, or to completely stop the monster. Vertigo is a bonus, not the main action.

About word of thorn: yeah...too bad you have a BETTER shielding spell. One that actually reduces the damage you take. Plus, I have an eni that I use to support my team. I use word of thorn whenever I have spare AP and no other option. Guess what? Monsters NEVER avoided it. EVER. They will continue to go after the target they were going after in the first place. This is true in otomai (all of it), frig 1, frig 2, and all 3 dimensions (those were the areas I used my eni in with a party, as I usually play solo and eni is not my main). The only time that they avoid anything is when I use preventing word.

Plus, I'd say the possibility to make a monster stop completely (as you said, if they don't reach anyone, they won't move...couple that with you throwing them at 6 range at least, moving away, and your allies probably taking MP/range from him) is better than just shifting his attention. Especially because if an ally needs to not be the target, chances are that ally is already behind everyone, or you should spend those 2 AP healing him instead.

I'm talking out of my own experience with both classes. Thorn is useless. Vertigo is situational, but not bad if you know when to use it.

0 0
Score : 99
fooked|2015-02-24 13:37:56
Lolling hard at the comments here.

Vertigo useless? hit 1k with it on a char that used 6mp. ( ignores res/shields ).
Jinx is extremly usefull and the other spells i see here to, like curative.

Picada & Masqueraide are total crap, i agree with that.

I agree that Jinx is useful but it could go for a slight buff.

As for curative word, other than being an eni's only self heal, how is it useful? I added it to the nearly useless considering if other spells were made to self heal then it would be useless.

New addition:

1) The New Masquerade

2) The spell relies heavily on predetermined teams to be useful. A level 100 spell should have benefits for any team combination.

3) Go back to the original masquerade with a vitality cut of 20% versus the original 25%. Make the AP cost 5 for level 1 and adjust accordingly to 3AP for level 6. The spell should not be castable for the first 2 turns and have a cooldown of 3-4 turns.
0 0
Score : 1740

Curative is great in Vortex :p you can spam it on turn 5 when you don't have anything to do anyway and then you won't have to worry about the poison on turn 7 and 10 (except for panda). Curative is a pretty good spell for when you have nothing else to do.

0 0

I still feel that classifies as (nearly) useless but that is a good point. I do only cast it when I have nothing else to cast. Thanks for the Vortex tip! That's coming up soon on my agenda. laugh 

0 0
Score : 598

From the above discussion, here is my top 5 most (nearly) useless spells:

1) Bwork (have never seen this cast in pvp or pvm)
2) Picada (have never cast this in pvp and I'm an agi masq!)
3) Jinx (rarely seen this cast in pvp)
4) Vertigo (rarely seen to do much damage in pvp)
5) Word of Thorn (often cast in pvp, but doesn't do much)

As an endgame masq, I actually like the new masquerade - i seem to cast it every time I kolo, doing 1250 damage to enemy and only 800 off my shield.

0 0

I agree with Bwork, Picada and Word of Thorn. Although I never use Vertigo I hear people find it useful. Jinx I totally disagree. If curative doesn't make the list neither should Jinx. Against big bosses minimizing their effects and cancelling crits is super helpful. Everytime I run with a sram that spell gets abused. I can see very little benefits to Masquerade but mostly I'm still emotionally scarred from the huge change. This all comes from a heavily PVM player who dabbles in PVP.

It really seems to me some spells should have different effects in PVP vs. PVM. Masquerade as it is now is not a PVM spell without a predetermined team for buffs. Regardless this is a great thread and I hope devs read and heed some advice.

0 0
Score : 4341

At least we all agree Bwork is lame :p

0 0
Score : 330
Quibbly|2015-02-20 17:18:41
That's smart. I never use it on my masq. I'm str/cha but that's besides the point, I do have decent agi with capering but never once did I have a need for picada. I'm going to start telling people I need to lower that guy's lock immediately.

1) Curative Word

2) For eni's I think Curative Word is a bit outdated. If eni's could heal themselves with healing word and word of sacrifice then curative can be replaced with another defensive spell (like Fractions ... kidding
). Revitalizing tends to keep my team fairly stable alone. The others are purely bonus heals to share.

3) Perhaps a new spell that gives +heals for 2-3 turns with a -110% dmg sustained and 5% erosion for 2-3 turns and 3-4 turn cool down.
With crit build Curative is very efficient. It hase good range AND it doesen't erode you as the word of sacrifice. I use it all the time.
A word of thorn and draining/paralysis word are useless though.
0 0
Score : 384

how about friction? takes just 1 mp to avoid when you're standing linear to an iop and most of the time people don't care and use linear attacks anyways (especially dark ray)

0 0
Eryta|2015-03-03 08:27:23
With crit build Curative is very efficient. It hase good range AND it doesen't erode you as the word of sacrifice. I use it all the time.
A word of thorn and draining/paralysis word are useless though.

Curative has no range. It's self heal only. It's decent but 2 revitalizing words do far more on crits than curative, plus you can get the whole team. Word of Sacrifice erodes because it's a big heal to allies only, it should work for me with that erosion penalty and just not use curative. Healing should be self castable too with no erosion.

Draining Word and Word of Thorn, yes, they could use a cleanup. Nothing compared to Word of Silence or Paralyzing Word. Seriously the ability to show invisible objects with a huge AoE and knock off up to 5AP is amazing and so is totally immobilizing an enemy by taking off almost 4MP. Those are important. Same crit set with enough wis allows me to take off on average 2-3MP on high end mobs and bosses.
0 0
Score : 330

Ah, sorry, I messed Healing and Curative up because of translation issues)

0 0
Score : 598

It is in fact encouraging that there seems to be a relatively low number of spells which players feel need serious help. Ankama have done a good job at balancing classes, whilst maintaining an interesting style asymmetry.

We only now ask that spells like Bwork and Picada are given some use!

2 0
Score : 7662

... as an Air Masq, I use Picada all the time. It's my only real attack in Cowardly mode (which, I remind you, turns the Masq into a long-range support character). It's supposed to aid allies in getting out of locks, while dealing some damage as well.

Sure, it could be better, but that's not the same as useless. Your -range build is what makes it useless. With a +range build, it's much more useful.

0 0
Score : 6154

can we all just agree that word of thorn is by far the worst spell in the game?

1 0
Score : 1762

*cough* lashing claw *cough*

0 0
Score : 164
Spell: Word of thorn

Why is it useless?
I think this is the worst spell of the game. It's actually better to level up stricking, leek pie, Moon's hammer, etc. It is much better to land an strenght hit with boomerang with 0 fo that casting this spell.
Some people say that this sh¡t is useful because you can make mobs attack other team member because of the reflected damage, but honestly... this happens like twice in your life, I think no other spell is as situational and overall pointless as word of thorn.

How to improve it? Just do something better for the eni instead of adding yet another defensive or healing spell, an strenght spell would be cool imo.

Spell: Bwork

Why is it useless? I don't see the use for this summon at all, all other summons are either spammable, useful at some degree... this thing is pretty pointless

How to improve it? No idea x) A dodge buff sounds nice and useful.
0 0
Score : 6154
n0ak|2015-03-07 22:03:54
*cough* lashing claw *cough*
some osas are chance so thats not useless

undinesoul|2015-03-08 01:06:06

Spell: Bwork

Why is it useless? I don't see the use for this summon at all, all other summons are either spammable, useful at some degree... this thing is pretty pointless

How to improve it? No idea x) A dodge buff sounds nice and useful.
to be honest a simple hp boost would be sufficiant
0 0
Score : 11268

Bwork is one of only two summons with a ranged attack, and the only one with an AoE attack. It just doesn't have enough heft to it, either offensively or defensively.

0 0
Respond to this thread