FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Protect your account, and we’ll reward you!

By #[Izmar] - ADMIN - April 07, 2015, 15:30:00
Announcements
Reactions 56
Score : 27370

You can't use both at once. Install either the Shield or the Authenticator and you will get it.

1 0
Score : 196

I installed and did not get, probably need to wait ...

0 0

Just throwing that out here...

The emote is not a scroll or a gift. It's automatically added to your emote list.

Score : 1692

Is it possible to attach the same authenticator list to two different devices?

0 0

No. That would be a pretty awful design flaw.

Uhm, I don't see how? You could just require the second device to need the user/pass/security question, and be unlocked from the first device to add to a second. (everything that would be needed to get into the account anyway). Thanks for answer though.

0 0

When you allow multiple devices to be able to grant computer access to the account you increase your attack surface by quite a bit. You cannot set one device to take precedence over another, any of them will be able to disable the protection, so someone could steal your information and then set their phone to be able to disable the protection, and then you're toast.

What you're asking for would only work the first time you were to enable a second phone, after that they are both equal and either can be used to disable the protection without the other device having any idea a code had even been sent.

The primary protection a phone code two-factor authentication offers is that the phone is always with you, for them to get the codes they either have to hack into your phone text records or physically steal it from you. If you add more phones, it becomes a lot easier to either share the account across countries (which this is designed to prevent), or for someone else to get into it. There is a reason that very few companies offer that sort of protection across multiple phones, and those who do have systems like that (Google has a half-assed one for example) are easily broken into.

If you want to be able to get the code across multiple devices, use the Ankama Shield and have it sent via email (because the email itself can be given extra protection which makes it harder to steal the information even when shared across multiple devices). If Ankama came up with a good way to allow the Authenticator to work across a bunch of smart devices, they would be the first company I've ever heard of to manage it. I don't think Ankama Authenticator has one-time tokens, nor is it compatible with LastPass or anything like that to the best of my knowledge, but perhaps you could Ankabox [Izmar] or [Nerodos] and see if they could find out anymore information about that.

In summary, while what you're talking about sounds good in theory, in reality it's a very risky thing to do and the risks far outweigh the convenience.

0 0

Why couldn't you be allowed to set one device to take precedence? Then wouldn't they physically need my phone to reset the information? I thought the intent of the authentication was to prevent actual hacking due to still being unable to grab my phone even if they had my information, even if they had my information they would still need a device authenticator is on... So it seems like the only risk is that if I live near someone there are two things they can steal that will work (which are both protected by their own codes). You could share accounts internationally, but you can already do that and not have authenticator.

I'm sure that if no company does it you are 100% right, but I'm curious because it seems odd.

0 0
Score : 729

My accounts been having shield for quite a while but I didn't recieve the reward yet, do I have to deactiveate it and activate it again?

0 0

The emote is given to you automatically, as is the bonus.

Check your emote panel.

justapie|2015-04-07 23:23:51
Why couldn't you be allowed to set one device to take precedence?

I'm sure that if no company does it you are 100% right, but I'm curious because it seems odd.
Right now there isn't an effective/failsafe way to tell a system that device A is more important than device B and that device B cannot be allowed to do anything without the explicit permission of device A. Therefore it is easier to simply restrict it to one device, and leave it at that.

I presume you want this because it is more convenient for you, most people want things for that reason, but they don't think about the work that goes into developing the infrastructure to support that, or the logistics and manpower it will take to develop that technology as opposed to working on new and innovative ways to secure information that has less requirement on people being smart. (See Yubikey)

The internet is inherently more dangerous than the vast majority of the people on the planet will ever understand. It is like walking down the darkest alley in any city with your wallet in your hand, and most of you never see the people waiting to take your stuff and you don't notice until long after they've come and gone. There is a constant war going on all around you every time you go online, and as such, convenience will always take a back seat to developing the newest way to keep yourself safe.
0 0
Score : 5

Thanks Ankama! Great service smile

0 0
Score : 6

I have the emote but its grayed out?

0 0

If you are on a mount or petsmount you cannot use.

Dismount and then try again.

0 0
Score : 440

ty Ankama!

0 0
Score : 20

I LOVE DIS THX ankama

0 0
Score : 744

The emote looks great, thx ! happy 

0 0
Score : 234

I think it's great that Ankama offer ways to secure our accounts.

However, I get nervous about setting up Ankama shield, as I have to travel a lot and will be moving to a different country later this year and worry that I will loose access to my accounts.

0 0
Score : 3909

Today is the day I am upgrading from the Ankama Shield to the Ankama Authenticator. It is about time too since the authenticator came out a few months ago, I knew I would want to try it eventually. This promotion is what gave me the encouragement.

About the Protection Emote and emotes in general. Can Ankama make more emotes static (not moving after execution) like that of Kowtow emote. I think there are quite a few emotes that is currently available in-game could use a static change. It would be good if the character could hold his or her shield in front of themselves and stay that way until the character moves or executes a different stance/emote or move. The temporary aura is nice, though I rather see more static emotes than the recent additions that has a really long cooldown. I doubt you guys are worried about a spamming issue as there are plenty emotes with short to near no cooldown period.

I was quite satisfied with the Shield except when I have to add exceptions for my account on public computers that eventually get listed on my account management page and I would have to go delete them to make space if I want to add more. It is most obvious when you use a public computer at a city library for example, you are not guaranteed the exact same computer each time you need to use one, not to mention you might end up going to a different city library. Having to add 3 exceptions for one account website/forum/game became rather tedious each time I needed access to my account on a public computer with the Shield activated (having to delete the exceptions later on the account management page).

The Authenticator really solve all that tedious trouble and made both access and account security much easier to handle. Now with the authenticator you no longer need to add exceptions, there's no more recording of exceptions to delete, and 30 seconds leaving the account unlocked is more than enough to enter an account security detail even if you are not a touch-typist.

Izmar|2015-04-07 15:30:00
Ankama has decided to give a 5% loot and XP bonus to everybody who uses either of our two account security services.
This is in effect for eternity, right? So long as either the Shield or Authenticator is activated. Are the bonus also in effect for non-subscriber accounts or former-subscriber accounts that are also under Ankama Security Protection?
0 0

As long as the Shield or Authenticator is on, the bonus is active on the account.

0 0
Score : 234

Is Authenticator better for someone who travels?

0 0
Respond to this thread