FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Dofus wikia should be updated

By MagEnergY1997 - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - May 10, 2015, 13:54:09

Hey guys, just here to tell you that imo, somebody shall update dofus wikia, it has really outdated data on it. Tho somewhere it says the data might be outdated, it's just awkward to see the wikia in the state it is right now.

1 -2
Reactions 11
Score : 3024

> somebody shall update dofus wikia

Why don't you assume the role of that somebody?

6 0
Score : 27402

People are working on it, but as the game (and Wiki) get bigger, and fewer and fewer people want to help work on it as opposed to just expecting it done overnight for their edification, then complaining when it is not. The last few generations of Dofus players have generally been poor in actually offering help, but quick to point out everything that isn't done.

If there is specific stuff you want to see updated, if you can't decide to not be a spectator and fix it yourself, you can always let us know and we will add it to the list.

Considering that over 500 edits were made to the Wiki yesterday, including the entire Xelor page being revamped to show all the new spells and other changes that happened last year that I just got around to doing as we finish up other projects. So while some things take a while, they do get done in as timely a manner as we can (since we play Dofus as well, and other jobs/lives etc).

Class guides, weapon/gear pages and other things like that which will rely on players who are newer to the game aren't things we can arbitrarily update, the two of us who work on the Wiki every day are not new, we have no idea how to best tell people to level as low levels anymore, we haven't been that way for many years. We work on keeping item pages, monster pages (work in progress right now to get the 1400 or so that are using the old stat and drops tables updated) quest pages, area pages and other things you can't get anywhere else but on the Wiki unless you want to go through jotted down notes elsewhere or speak French.

For as many areas where the information may be outdated and we either can't/don't have immediate time or ability to check it, that is usually a call out to other people to help, but overall the Wiki isn't as bad as it was a few years ago when it was simply dying. It is steadily growing again, and in some places (like divine dimensions) even the French places of information are behind us in terms of having pages for everything one may care to see when questing or fighting there. We also have roughly 1,000 quests on the Wiki, all of them updated, every dungeon in the game (mostly updated) and every single monster page in the game (AWB is updating that as I type this)

As this is a constantly evolving game, we are always a step behind as we have to react to them, we aren't given a chance to get a head start with early access to information to add it. Thus we have to do the best that we can, and the Wiki will always have something that needs work, that is the very nature of the beast.

Yesterday we had 22,600 people access the Wiki, 145,000 over the last week, and we had maybe 5 or 6 people with accounts make a handful of changes, and maybe another 5 or 6 random editors as well make helpful changes. We don't talk about the trolls or vandals that show up, but we get them too. Despite the few numbers, those who do help have kicked in 933 edits over the last 7 days; so it is being updated, you just miss it because 45,000 pages is a lot to cover.

If you're interested in helping make the Wiki get updated faster, you can always reference this page and see where it takes or, or if you know of stuff in-game that isn't on it, start adding pages, don't be afraid of making a mistake, someone else will correct it for you and you can learn from mistakes.

12 0
Score : 6687

I say forget wikia. I've spent a lot of time and effort on the Dofus Wiki at Wikia, and my conclusion is that I would rather host a wiki for dofus as my own web site than use wikia's web site. I've hosted a wiki in the past for a different game. In fact, wikimedia software is not ideal for documentation. It is not even ideal for an encyclopedia, such as Wikipedia, which I also do not like.

Software is developed to meet specific behaviors and purposes. Using a generic one-size-fits-all approach to software development is like praising Communism as being at the forefront of the Developing World. That is asinine. There were many ideas that I wanted to develop for the Dofus Wiki which the community managers had to delete due to my realizing that Wikia and the wiki style of web page development was completely unsuited to my goals. This is why we have all these other random Dofus web sites like those that list items and those that let you experiment with different sets and those that let you experiment with your character's colors and your dragoturkey breeding goals. All of that could be included on the Ankama web site, but they simply do not have the time or incentive to do that, and so there are these third-party web sites. But they are all very narrow in focus and not definitive. For example, the Dofus Wiki is meant to be definitive for its purpose, yet it cannot be due to the fact that it is hosted on the foundation of wikia.

Therefore, I would rather make a single, definitive web site for Dofus than continue to contribute to a web site like the Dofus Wiki at Wikia, which is essentially cramming as much furniture as possible into a storage facility with a low roof. Build a new building so you can place the furniture nicely where it is appropriate and where it belongs, and where the ceiling is indefinitely high.

If you're interested in participating, I'd like to make this happen. I have the dedicated server, I just need the willpower from this Dofus community for it to be a reality.

0 -1
Score : 6924

As much as is outdated, there is a constant stream of updates every day.

Just click the Recent Activity button and it will show you.

As for it ever catching up, I don't hold out much hope. The game has been moving too fast and only a few people are doing updates.

0 0

You don't need other people if you think you can fork the Wikia better, you can go to Wiki and request a 2 GB dump of all the data and do whatever you want with it.

As for it ever catching up, I don't hold out much hope. The game has been moving too fast and only a few people are doing updates.
By working on what we think is truly imporant, we hope to be able to hold firm on the stuff you come to the Wiki for that other places won't have (ie: Dungeons, Quests, Professions and etc) we understand we can't do things like gear and guides without more help.
0 0
Score : 25998

Even if dofuswikia is not up to date, it is still the most useful guide to dofus. I can't imagine enjoying the game without the information from dofuswikia. The game is just so huge that it is stressful to try to find out everything by ourselves.

Kudos to the hardworking volunteers working on dofuswikia.

2 0
Score : 214
Liquid-Flame|2015-05-10 18:29:00
I say forget wikia. I've spent a lot of time and effort on the Dofus Wiki at Wikia, and my conclusion is that I would rather host a wiki for dofus as my own web site than use wikia's web site. I've hosted a wiki in the past for a different game. In fact, wikimedia software is not ideal for documentation. It is not even ideal for an encyclopedia, such as Wikipedia, which I also do not like.

Software is developed to meet specific behaviors and purposes. Using a generic one-size-fits-all approach to software development is like praising Communism as being at the forefront of the Developing World. That is asinine. There were many ideas that I wanted to develop for the Dofus Wiki which the community managers had to delete due to my realizing that Wikia and the wiki style of web page development was completely unsuited to my goals. This is why we have all these other random Dofus web sites like those that list items and those that let you experiment with different sets and those that let you experiment with your character's colors and your dragoturkey breeding goals. All of that could be included on the Ankama web site, but they simply do not have the time or incentive to do that, and so there are these third-party web sites. But they are all very narrow in focus and not definitive. For example, the Dofus Wiki is meant to be definitive for its purpose, yet it cannot be due to the fact that it is hosted on the foundation of wikia.

Therefore, I would rather make a single, definitive web site for Dofus than continue to contribute to a web site like the Dofus Wiki at Wikia, which is essentially cramming as much furniture as possible into a storage facility with a low roof. Build a new building so you can place the furniture nicely where it is appropriate and where it belongs, and where the ceiling is indefinitely high.

If you're interested in participating, I'd like to make this happen. I have the dedicated server, I just need the willpower from this Dofus community for it to be a reality.

I'd say go for it, give it a month or two, if it doesn't work out for some reason then its not that much money wasted. But if its got a much nicer layout (wikia kinda sucks doesn't it..) and no ads, I don't see why people wouldn't use it. Maybe even throw in some basic damage calculators or something. Basic tick list for Eternal Harvest for the hell of it. I'd certainly use the website if it was much nicer put together then wikia.
0 0

If you are using Adblock then you don't see ads, we can't arbitrarily turn them off as this part of the Wiki (both ventures were started by the same people) has to help fund the actual Wikipedia itself from what I understand (and that bleeds money for a variety of reasons now). We also have rather limited control over various modules, the way Geocities is set up is that if certain things are turned on for one Wiki, all of them have it, so they to do an entire polling option and a bunch of other stuff before anything gets done. As such it isn't really worth bothering.

If we were to start over again in 2005, with that technology (where hosting Wikimedia from your own computer wasn't as simple as it is now) then perhaps things would be done different, but that was the best option for the founders at the time. I only know of two communities (World of Warcraft and Star Wars) that broke off of a Wiki and went independent, incurring all the costs themselves, and both have massive armies that worked on data transfer for their respective Wikis.

Like I said before if you want to fork your own and take it over, go for it, maybe you can do better than what we have now, but I think you are underestimating how much work it takes to get even little things done and still have time to actually play. Even this rather modest Wiki has 45,000+ pages and at least 2 gigabytes of data on it as of tonight, moving and re-sorting all that yourself by hand will take a very long time.

And to answer your issue about the Archmonster list that the Wiki's lack of having one, a German player developed this tool for tracking EH lists (among other things), you can login with 'test' 'test' if you don't want to make your own account to test it out. This site is also mentioned on the front of the Wiki itself under 'related websites', we can't add such a module to the local Wikimedia ourselves because, again, the way all the community Wikis are set up to run off a central set of Wikimedia doesn't allow for it.

0 0
Score : 3231

I spent a lot of time editing the wiki a few years back (but not anywhere near a top contributor) and Revil is right, even the small things take a lot of time. False information is worse than no information so you have to confirm and test a lot of different things. There's also a reasonable amount that needs to be known about the tools provided by the wiki (images/rules etc.). It's a lot of work but even helping out with minor things such as spelling errors/removing and replacing outdated information helps a lot in the long run.

0 0
Score : 2701

I for one would have no problem in tackling such a task as building a completely new and dedicated website that has all the same stuff like what you would find on the wiki, on imps, a handful of damage calcs and drop calcs and what not. I can make the time, and I can pretty much reword everything so that it is not complete plagiarism; but I run into a few road blocks.

If I do this, I would do it out of love for the game, but I have to be financially secure enough to pop out 10-15 USD a year for the domain, which sadly should have something dofus related in it. I.e. www (dot) encyclopediadofus (dot) com. Getting a name or extension that is most desirable is not as easy as it seems.

Then there is the hosting. Basic plans start at about 5 USD a month, and there are some good plans and companies out there; however a shared server would not be optimal if the new domain gets hits like the wiki does. I may wind up going way over any allotted bandwidth and or storage space, not to mention site speed and reactivity... yada yada yada. So a premium package would probably be best, along with a dedicated server... and guys that can get so costly.

Then you have the work that needs to be put in, I mean a copy/paste of most information can be done; but a lot of it needs to be rewritten or Google likes to flag you as a bad site because of duplicate information. You get flagged and your page rank tends to drop and you can get some hefty punishments for it. Plagiarism is not cool either.

To run it as an ad-free site, you would need to make it a membership site; and then no one would want to visit/use it. In a nut shell that's why we have a plethora of fan sites and all of them I have ever seen or used have some form of ads.

So a bad wiki is better than no wiki. You want a dedicated site that is ad free, easy to use, and responsive? Then make it and see how long it is before you can't keep up with the fines/fees to keep it running. It's about the only reason I haven't done such a thing; that and the risk of being shut down by Ankama for trying to cover the fees associated with getting the site up and running. Me make money off their artwork/game/intellectual rights and I could wind up in a serious world of financial hurt.

1 0
Score : 1839

I tried, but got banned by the only active admin for being aggressive in making changes (got the wiki from the 400-500s up to the 300s, and even in the 280s once, but now it is in the 1000s - not good). Anyway, I thought about creating a multi-game Ankama wiki (ankama.fandom.com), but decided it was not what I wanted to do. So, I have started the Role-play Dofus wiki (rpd.fandom.com), which will be Dofus ported onto D&D.

Do not tell, but, as I did for years, I still contribute to the Dofus wiki anonymously. Shhhh!

1 0
Respond to this thread