By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

We need to talk about multi-accounting

By CoolRay - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - January 17, 2016, 05:24:36
Reactions 135
Score : 87
AlphaWarrior|2016-02-07 19:05:25
Maybe it isn't "killing" the game, but that doesn't mean it's any good, either. I certainly hold to the opinion that the game would be a much healthier game if multi-accounting didn't exist (and furthermore if the reasons people want to multi-account were to be addressed).

This tho. Havn't really seen that mentioned yet, but yeah. If you want to remove Multi Accounting, you have to address the issues WHY theres multiaccounting (for example: Current problem of low playerbase -> Get back to advertising and getting new players).

I havn't really gotten into group play yet (no need under 100 tbh) but back then we did group plays, with 1-4 players multiaccounting and filling up the rest. It always worked good as you had the classes you wanted/needed and knew that the people could actually play the class. (This was back when WaWabbit Castle was considered "dangerous" tho).

Another BIG problem I see is the lack of community on the Forums, most guides are outdated as hell, even on the Wiki, many people think you have to grind to level up under 100 and get frustrated because they play solo (for the lack of finding groups or wanting groups) and such these people will either quit the game or go to multi accounting.
0 0
Score : 4306
Rakval|2016-02-07 19:44:50
Current problem of low playerbase -> Get back to advertising and getting new players
Get back into advertising? :v They've never advertised outside of France in the first place

The only reason this game has any English players at all is because the game used to be on miniclip, which a lot of people liked to play on in the USA at least, and the rest are by word of mouth basically. I reeeally doubt anybody has come across this game by chance in the English community without actively searching for it (I learned about it from a family friend who lives in France).

And now since the game is no longer on popular sites that people like to find games on (i.e. Steam), along with the fact that there is no advertisement and that the low-level economy is ruled by the greedy (like 20kk for a cheapest gob ring on Rushu), even if we do get a new player, they are almost guaranteed to quit unless free stuff is basically thrown at them because there is no possible other way for them to get started without having nightmares about the ghosts of all the gobballs they grinded and how they're coming back for revenge in their sleep.

If Ankama really cared about the English community, they'd advertise here, they'd hold conventions here, they'd release the movie here, they would have made an English version of the new movie coming out (which they have made such a big deal over, yet is only releasing it in France, lol), and we'd be seeing a lot more of our suggestions getting replies from devs

It seems the only people from Ankama that cares about our community is izmar and our few active mods, with her giving us community events such as the monster mash and voting polls so that everyone can be involved

But alas, Dofus is still at that point of where if I try to suggest it, I will get the perpetual reply of "Doofus? lol", and if they do bother to look at the web page: "this looks like a game meant for 8 year old breh lelel"

#RantOver
0 0
Score : 2

Ankama needs to step up its international level. MA has nothing to do with low playerbase. Advertising is. I never see dofus in reviews, etc etc. A new dimension is out? The only way to find out is... Ankama.

Search result on IGN

mmorpg.com news results

Such a beautiful score on Metacritic but soo low on popularity.

Anyway it's not my business ofcourse. They probably now more then me about this. I know for sure that MAing has nothing to do with it.

I'm annoyed by you complainers though, taking away fun of other players. I like the feel of old school character leveling and proceeding through the game, well designing my team to overcome great dangers the world of Dofus gives me. There is not enough challenge for me going solo.

Anyway, looks like making guilds, using the group search and recruitment channel is way to hard for you.

0 0
Score : 11250

I sat in group search on Rushu for 7 hours on Saturday. Not a single player joined. Group search is the most failed addition to this game in it's history. To me it sounds like you just don't want anyone encroaching on your ability to play the game alone. It's an MMO. Go play Final Fantasy Tactics if that's how you want to play.

0 0
Score : 25792

It's not just the player interaction... I'm not playing Dofus because I can interact with others... It is about the continuing development of the game. When I played FFT, I have done everything in the game and that is it. Game over. You won't get an update and there will not be new contents. Yes, there will be sequels, but they will not continue my progress from the previous game. Some console games may have "New Game +", but you will still be playing the same contents, with just a new level of difficulty or a few additional perks, and eventually, you will have done everything.

The main reason why I play an online game (Dofus) is because there will be new contents so I can keep playing without repeating the same contents over and over again. If Dofus becomes a non-interactive online game with regular DLC's, I'd still play it as long there will be new contents. I have stated it earlier, I want Dofus to be the last game I will ever play, until I die, and hopefully pass down to my children... You can't do that with console games.

2 0
Score : 3
Alyss-Sin|2016-02-08 15:38:08
I sat in group search on Rushu for 7 hours on Saturday. Not a single player joined. Group search is the most failed addition to this game in it's history. To me it sounds like you just don't want anyone encroaching on your ability to play the game alone. It's an MMO. Go play Final Fantasy Tactics if that's how you want to play.
So now you are telling me what game i have to play. This game supports MA. So maybe you need to play an other game ;p. Whats the difference in me leaving the game and enjoying it on myself though.
0 0
Score : 5956

On the note of advertising, perhaps Dofus Touch will help here. The iOS App Store is one of the most popular markets out there. It would be hugely helpful if Dofus were to be featured by Apple in the store. And it won't only be in Apple's store, either. There's potential here. Granted, Dofus Touch is a full game on its own and not strictly advertisement for the PC version. Still, I think many people will discover that there even exists this game called Dofus and, upon discovering there's also a PC version which has even more features, will play the PC version.

I also agree with Gunnerwolfang - I play Dofus largely for the same reason. I would be happy if I could complete all content as a solo player, of course. Since I can't I need to be able to find groups to do things with, which is where multi-accounting [often] hurts my experience. It should be noted that multi-accounting can also improve my experience given that I potentially need to recruit fewer people to do a dungeon than I otherwise would have to.

I'll also be be honest and won't try to hide it, at the risk of being viewed negatively, and I'll say that jealousy holds some weight. Being a competitive game player who wants to be among the best, I find it nearly impossible as a solo player. I realize I must multi-account to be on that level, and I'm very unhappy. Multi-accounting ruins my experience, and so I'm forced to choose between enjoying the game and being on the skill/etc level I want to be on.

Adding to this topic:

In all the discussions we've had on multi-accounting so far, I haven't really gotten to hear how Ankama actually feels about multi-accounting. We've debated and debated, but does Ankama support it? Do they have any plans to do anything about it? Can I get anything from Ankama on this?

Now, I saw this response by Izmar in another topic when denying 'solo mode', an idea that sounded quite nice to me.

I've spoken to Lichen quite a bit about this idea, but so far, he's not convinced. The core idea of a solo mode in Dofus is contrary to all the world the dev team has done to make sure that players must cooperate and trade with each other to experience the full game.

I would say that, for anyone who wants to try a mode like this, you could try leveling and playing in restricted mode, but otherwise, your own convictions and willpower will have to serve for now.
Here, Ankama states that they do not want to add things in the game that are contrary to the work the dev team has done to encourage cooperation and trading.

However, multi-accounting is just as contrary to all of this work and promotes solo-accounting as well. I want to know how Ankama can say things like this (which I hear all the time) but still support multi-accounting.
0 0
Score : 691

Alpha-Warrior i love you. You think like me.

1 0
Score : 25792

Ankama has expressed their regrets towards multi-accounting, but they can no longer remove this feature. It would be unfair to those who have invested so much in this playstyle.

Yes, multi-accounting allows players to do everything on their own without interacting with anyone else, but lets face it, that feature also multiplies Ankama's revenue, while solo mode does not...

0 0
Score : 646

Thought I'd pipe in on this, as a player that has left Dofus quite a while ago. I use to play back when Dofus only had one english server, Rushu, and a bunch of French ones. Back then multi accounting was rare to see, I'm sure there were some that figured out they could do it, and had the money to throw at it. The problem? Once more servers came around for the english community, probably more then was needed to be honest, players started spreading themselves out. On top of that Ankama intentionally made tweaks to the game client to support multi accounting to make it less resource hogging to run multiple windows.

Not sure how many of you played back when Rushu was the server to be at, since there was no where else to be. But it was a hell of a lot more fun to pick up groups for dungeons and even item set drops back then, the whole point of a MMO is for the social aspect, when you start multi accounting it becomes a single player game with online chatting. As for what the OP says though, it's quite true, the only reason people multi account is so they can do shit when they want, and not have to deal with a newb here or there. That mind set though is what is slowly killing this game, and the last time I played this I ended up in a guild with a leader that multi accounted, who was offering to leech people. the worst and most boring experience for a solo accounter. Sadly Ankama will never deter people from multi accounting since it means more money for them, and people obviously have a lot of money to spend that play this game. Either Ankama changes their view on what they've done, because they have help encourage it greatly, or players start making a conscience effort to change how they play the game. The chances of that happening are slim to non existant.

I am in the process of installing the game, sadly I have a feeling I probably won't subscribe. Between this and Wafku I'd love to get back into either game but the whole multi account mentality just kills the fun for me. Mind you Wakfu I don't think is nearly as bad as Dofus is at the moment, I'm sure I'll find out when I get around to checking it out.

0 0
Score : 8172

Wait for Dofus Touch on the tablets or phones.... I believe there is an app on the PC's where you can even play the app's on PC too... (if cannot afford the phone or tablet?)

0 0
Score : 16481

This has gotten a good amount of attention. Izmar, Nerodos. Do you have any thoughts on this matter?

0 0
Score : 646

Here's a thought, if they do get rid of MAing, why can't they simply transfer characters all to one account? From what I've noticed they have a feature to transfer characters to another account, which clearly doesn't scream we support MAing right? If the later can be done the former can as well, so whoever posted the bit about Ankama not wanting to be unfair to MA players I call bull on this.

They optimized the client for MAing a long while back, and have gone out of their way to encourage it. They've only recently, being a few years, been rolling things out to favor a single account players, their main focus has been on MA players and encouraging that. Will the get rid of this or at least limit/tone it down some, hell no, not when money is involved. I've posted about this in the past quite a few times in the past.

0 0
Score : 621

We need more cross server functions to balance this out.

It's probably the one of the only solutions, alongside server merging, then making things instance based.

0 0
Score : 5159

I love how you guys keep sticking with the Multi-accounting, even though there were many points made in this topic which is also a problem of the situation.

I totally agree on @YEEART with cross-server functions. It works with other games, why not here.

0 0
Score : 11250

Probably because multi-accounting is the subject of the thread.

2 0
Respond to this thread