FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Could someone please explain kolo matchmaking...

By ilovekiefer - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - May 20, 2017, 04:06:45

My friends and I try to play 3v3 kolo, but it takes a VERY LONG TIME to get paired...
I could possibly play 3-4 games of Heroes of the Storm before I registered/finished a kolo match in Dofus.
Unfortunately it's getting to the point where it's not worth our time to queue <_< 

0 0
Reactions 13
Score : 363

Amen to that! I'm glad someone else has been experiencing this. Seriously, the queue times have been incredibly long. My friends hate the wait.

0 0
Score : 154

On top of that, as a level 157, 158, and me as 181 my friends and I get matched with a group of level 200s with an average rating of around 1300, while we are at 3600+. So it's doubly not worth the queue times. Based on rating, that doesn't make sense, based on level, that doesn't make sense. What gives Ankama?

0 0
Score : 2

Yeah, they should add a gear score or something else to help balance that. I think if this game's PvP was done better it would become a more popular game.

0 0
Score : 13424

The matchmaking system has a few rules it uses to create matches.

1. Everyone should have around a 50% win rate across a large sample size of matches.
2. People that queue as a group will only get matched against other groups. *
3. When queuing solo, you will not have duplicate classes on your team (and by extension of #2, the enemy team will not have any duplicate classes as well) *
4. The system does not use levels to match players, it uses rating and certain other parameters based on the queue type.
5. The system creates as fair a match as it understands to be possible, but the longer the wait, the less fair the match will likely be as the search parameters are widened.

* This was not always the case, but was a change made after interserver kolo to improve the overall feeling of the fairness of matches.

Here's a breakdown of what we know about the rating system:

Your visible rating is actually made up of two separate components. Perceived power. and uncertainty. Both of these values are always non-negative, and the uncertainty is subtracted from the perceived power of your character. If a match goes the way the system expected, your uncertainty goes down. If a match goes unexpectedly, your uncertainty goes up. If you win a match against oponents with a higher percieved power, your percieved power will likely be raised by the system, but your uncertainty may also go up, leaving an initial state where it looks like your rating hasn't actually changed. If you prove to the system by remaining competitive at the higher percieved power, the uncertainty in your rating will go down, and your visible rating will go up.

FAQ regarding the above statements:
Q. So the system will put me in matches it expects me to lose?
A. Yes. The system will strive for as balanced matches as possible, but it does predict an outcome when a match is made, and you are not expected to win all of your matches. If the system did not have an expected winner, there would be zero possible change to ratings after the match which does not allow for progression.

Q. Why not have level based matchmaking?
A. If I take my level 200 character and the funding at my disposal and toss the best gear possible onto a lv 120 character, I can easily stomp lv 180 players without the same level of investment. The rating system prevents these situations.

Q. Why is matchmaking slow?
A. You are currently in a state that makes finding a balanced match difficult. You might be queuing at a rating range with few other people currently in the queue. This can be especially problematic in group queues.

1 0
Score : 154

I mean what your saying makes sense, but that's not what I'm seeing with a pretty high sample of games. We got matched with a team without gear, that was throwing matches on purpose, to decrease their rating to get easy matches in the future.

Then we we had a team where they were all level 200 with very good gear, against us (157,158,181) and don't even make a dent in their team. I get we are supposed to lose, but it seems with kolo matches you are matched and are forced to lose? Why can't we go on huge win streaks? With Skill based rating you'll eventually have a 60-80% win rating; and be faced against players who you will lose to based on skill. That's why stat weights need to be implemented on gear. Players are matched based on gear, win rate and rating. Then you have a fair match based on skill. If you queue with no gear? Then you get matched with people with no gear. That might be a problem though with the size of the player base and the variation of gear in this game.

Perceived power and all that seems like it works in theory, but nothing is more frustrating, that waiting 15 mins to go into a match that, the system "wants" you to lose. That to me is ridiculous.

0 0
Score : 363

Also, with how long some of these fights go on for, I don't think the reward system does a great job compensating these longer matches.

0 0
Score : 2736

anakama said they would balance kolo matches, but they heavly did the oppesite.

you can get matches against 200 because their rating are low too, and the chances the enemy is 30 lvls higher than you is always 95%.

hahahaha chances you win 50%??? lol you have to be lucky to be on a team better than the enemy and that is 30%

btw being forced to lose makes a game really negative, its shows the game have a bad reputation for being balanced... i mean if you play league and you are forced to lose makes you frustrated

0 0

Since people clearly don't understand basic matchmaking principles, I will elaborate.

Let's say you have the following ratings matched up against eachother:

4000 , 4025, 4050 vs 4050 , 4025 , 4025

As far as the rating system goes, this is a relatively balanced match. The system expects the second team to win, but they are not guaranteed to, they just have the higher statistical likelihood by a small margin. If the first team wins, the system has to adjust the ratings to take into account that it was wrong. This is how every single rating based matchmaking system in the world works, the actual math behind each may vary though. Yes, that includes League despite that some people would like to draw that comparison as if it were different. League just doesn't actually show you your match making rating.

0 0
Score : 40

Sure, I understand matchmaking principles. But what I don't understand is literally waiting an hour plus for a kolo match which never was. Friends and I gave up and we went to play Heroes of the Storm instead. Guess how quickly it took for us to get a match on there, instantly.

0 0
Score : 1836

I believe Heroes of the Storm has a bigger population than Dofus, as well as it doesn't have any other activities that people can do instead of PvP, unlike Dofus, where people can freely choose whatever they want to do or not do. They both use the same ranking system as well.

0 0
Score : 2736
Nerd-Tease|2017-05-22 11:35:28
Since people clearly don't understand basic matchmaking principles, I will elaborate.

Let's say you have the following ratings matched up against eachother:

4000 , 4025, 4050 vs 4050 , 4025 , 4025

As far as the rating system goes, this is a relatively balanced match. The system expects the second team to win, but they are not guaranteed to, they just have the higher statistical likelihood by a small margin. If the first team wins, the system has to adjust the ratings to take into account that it was wrong. This is how every single rating based matchmaking system in the world works, the actual math behind each may vary though. Yes, that includes League despite that some people would like to draw that comparison as if it were different. League just doesn't actually show you your match making rating.
> forced to LOSE < what game make you force to lose? give em atleast 3, whats the point. sorry but thats a sign for an never balanced game.
0 -2

Hey, look who can't even read the post they quoted. The game doesn't force you to lose, it makes a prediction on the most likely outcome (which should ideally be something like a 49%/51% odd split) of a match and re-evaluates ratings based on the outcome versus the expectation.

Here's something you might understand a bit better since you aren't understanding it from the theory of matchmaking systems:

If you aren't the reason you are losing and are better than the other players in your match, then you should be winning at least 60% of your games until you reach a point where you are at the right rating.

This comes from that if you aren't the one causing the loss for your team, you have 2 people on your team who can cause it and 3 on the enemy team that can.

If you are only winning 40% of your matches, you are the problem. That's just basic statistics. When your rating falls enough to catch up to where you should be, or you get better, you will win more. You're acting like a bronze player in league complaining that they fall right back down to bronze after getting boosted to gold.

0 0
Score : 2851

Call me crazy, but I loved getting matched against level 200s when my team was level 180-190.

0 0
Respond to this thread