FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Equipment Balancing and Crafting Simplification

By [lichen] - ANKAMA - February 28, 2018, 15:00:00
DevTracker AnkaTracker Announcements

With Update 2.46, we plan on introducing several modifications to make it easier to obtain equipment (hats, boots, etc.).

Gains to character experience have gradually increased over the various updates (via challenges, achievements, idols, secondary character bonuses, faster fights, modular dungeons, stars on monsters, capturing and fighting monsters in arenas, etc.)

Characters are gaining levels more rapidly than a few years ago, but proportionally, we don't think they are replacing their low-level and mid-level equipment fast enough (despite the introduction of many mechanics to increase loot drops over the various updates). This encourages players to keep the same equipment for too long, whereas we'd like them to take advantage of the wide variety of equipment available in all level brackets more easily.

Our Objectives

These are our main objectives:

• Make it easier to acquire and renew low-level and mid-level equipment;
  • Allow for better synchronization between low-level and mid-level equipment renewal and character leveling up;
  • Reduce the number of fights required to craft equipment;
  • Balance the various low-level and mid-level equipment bonuses in order to increase the choice of viable equipment available; and
  • Maintain a high level of equipment destruction by generating Smithmagic rune.

Equipment Recipes

Equipment recipes (excluding trophies and shields) up to level 100 have been simplified and harmonized. Our goal is to offer low- and mid-level recipes that are faster to craft.
In parallel, this change will simplify profession progression for low-level and mid-level equipment crafting.

In the longer term, we intend to review some of the level 100+ equipment recipes. We think that recipes for very high-level equipment are generally satisfactory, so it's unlikely they'll be simplified or modified to any significant degree.

Resource Drop Rates

There will be a higher probability of obtaining resources from monsters (mainly low-level and mid-level ones) in order to reduce the number of fights required to craft equipment.
For example, common resources (currently 10% drop rate) will now have a 50% drop rate for level-1 monsters, 30% for level-100 monsters, and 10% for level-200 monsters. This will make it easier to obtain resources at low and intermediate levels when characters cannot easily acquire many loot bonuses.

Progression for Harvesting Professions

Progression for harvesting professions has been improved: The experience gained from harvesting has been doubled in order to speed up access to more harvestable resources.

Bonus balancing

The changes we are making have given us the opportunity to balance the power of items up to level 100. In most cases, we have increased the power of items that are too weak and reduced the randomness between minimum and maximum bonus values. Certain effects have been added or improved, while others have simply been replaced.

These changes are not retroactive: You need to use Smithmagic runes or New Leaf Orbs on modified items crafted before Update 2.46.

Smithmagic Rune Generation

Smithmagic rune generation is currently 10% higher overall than destruction.
In version 2.46, we decided to reduce Smithmagic rune generation by 20% in order to reduce this discrepancy between generation and destruction, and also to compensate for simpler recipes and increased resource drop rates.
It will be easier to produce low-level and mid-level items, so it will be easier to produce Smithmagic runes.

We think the price of Smithmagic runes is very low overall, and we plan on gradually reducing Smithmagic rune generation in future updates if it may have a positive effect on item and resource destruction.

However, we don't know what balance might be found with the price of Smithmagic runes. Some players are limited by the budget they are willing to invest in item Smithmagic, while others adjust the budget they are prepared to invest in Smithmagic based on their objectives. These two approaches to Smithmagic have different effects on the rune market, and we cannot assume that a X% decrease in Smithmagic rune generation will translate into a X% increase in the price of Smithmagic runes.

We will probably have to iterate to achieve the right balance.
Smithmagic rune generation is one of the main sources of item destruction (and therefore resources), so we think it's important to use this as leverage to increase or maintain sufficient usefulness and value for all resources and items.

First Ankama intervention

Hi everyone,

More information from [Briss] about this subject:

"The purpose of this update is not to allow everyone to easily level up professions, even at low level.

We agree that it is difficult for a new player to equip themselves via crafting, but we do not want it to be totally autonomous. The fact of having to invest to reach the level necessary for the crafting of an item seems important to us, especially in a context where anyone can acquire all the professions.

We do not want everyone to level up all their professions and independent. We prefer that equipment manufacturing always depends on the availability of a craftsman.

Where we have gaps is in the availability of craftsmen for new players. Profession books are not very practical, and we would like to work on this in the future."

See message in context
Reactions 32
Score : 345

People were joking how Runescape 3 was a joke compared to Oldschool Runescape, but these Dofus changes take it to another level. Is the game not simple enough already? A few years from now we can probably expect all equipments to be dropped from monsters...

3 -3
Score : 5190

they removed all equipment drops above gobball set, whereas in old dofus, you'd be dropping sets all the way up to kitsou, koalak, boowolf, etc.

nice try though! make sure you've actually played older versions of dofus before joking about how bad dofus is now compared to it to make sure you're not saying "maybe they'll implement a feature old dofus actually HAD, what a JOKE, LOL!"

2 -1
Score : 241

I really hope this is gonna turn out better than I think.
The markets are already underused, but that's definitely not gonna be better if all low-lvl equipment is just gonna get trashed without a market fee.

0 0
Score : 399

Yo,

Please take into account that obtaining smithmagic runes on mono account servers is already ridiculously luck based and/or way more expensive than selling the unmaged item raw and buying a maged item instead. Using runes was never profitable for anything other than lvl 200 items and it is already a pain to mage my midlevel gear (around lvl 150).

Also making 'quicker set adjustments in lower levels' possible by reducing the recipes, you force those lower level characters to wear unmaged gear or simply spend a bigger amount of kamas (due to the planned reduction of rune generation) a higher amount of times (due to the pursue of more accessible and better statted items for those leve areas).

If you're going to say now, maging shouldn't be for lower level chars, because of the reason i just provided above, then keep in mind that those professions still need to be levelled and it would make the whole road from a magus 1 to magus 150 pointless, since nobody is willing to buy maged items or let you mage their items.

In short: You are, once again, about to change stuff that you don't consider the entire aftermath of. Please take a moment, step back, discuss my points (and possible other side effects) internally, before you take action.

//EDIT: After reading my post back i thought it would be wise to mention that all of what i say is based on my experience on mono account servers, not traditional ones. The markets in traditional servers are already so messed up by bots and wrong game design decisions in the past, that they will never recover without some kind of full wipe.

//EDIT 2: You need to stop messing with symptoms and start finding people who can actually find the cause of things you're not happy with.

Booyah, Yama

5 0
Score : 50

love the sounds of this.
half the reason i never updated my gear was because it just wasn't time efficient to do so.
from leveling your professions to spending hours upon hours trying to drop the large amount of mats needed for a craft just made things not worth it as the time would have up and past and your level would have progressed beyond such a point only to leave you having to repeat the process again.

i'm lvl 196 and wearing gear well below my level.
if the system was more player friendly i definitely would have upgraded my gear more often and even experimented more.

1 0
Score : 3157

As a high lvler I'm glad to hear the news about drops, I still can't believe I spent several days just to solely drop treechnee eyes for brakmar quests which is a 1% base drop from a low lvl mob (and thus making idols almost useless because of lvl difference, and only pp would help)

0 0
Score : -327

Just checking, but you will apply those changes to meat drop rate too, right?
It does not sound like a good solution overall though... People are just going to keep skipping the lower leveled content...

0 0
Score : -63

Ankama making PVE easier and easier for people get into pvp easier as well. I really think they are thinking way too much about esports....

4 0
Score : 1

Thank you for this! Just started Dofus and it has been really hard to get gear in the early levels. Everything are so inflated in the market.

0 0
Score : 489

More like a push for Ogrine sales with the rune change that is set to happen.

3 0
Score : 26

It is a good move, when i first started playing ( back in.... 2007 i think) it took days of farming to get gobbal set and by then i already could wear almost full royal gob. I believe changes that make it easier for new players are needed as most players have hit 200 on atleast 1 char already. If we have an influx of low levels it will greatly enchance the game. Right now newbies are getting wis gear and hopimg to be leeched till mid 100s as its not efficient to gear up before that.

0 -1
Score : 1186

And my wallet will take another hit with the rune news.

5 0
Score : 3417

By increasing the drop rate of ressources to 50% chance etc, are we to expect the ressources to be next to worthless in terms of nuggets?

2 -2
Score : 526

Don't make it easy... if its gonna be too easy it it will make 0 fun from lvling profs.... and im mon acc player, with alchem 200 and farmer 200, so dont tell me its hard to make it lvl up ... , @Crafters: some of the recipes (specially at low lvls should be fixed) but gaining double exp from gathering, and double drop, etc is totally bad idea... it will ruin the economy

1 0
Score : 647

This sounds great!
I always felt quite limited in what gear to use, only switching pieces when I absolutely had to because it was such a pain to get. So much mid gear gets neglected, this will hopefully make it more fluid and likely make leveling even more satisfying!

0 -1
Q- we decided to reduce Smithmagic rune generation by 20%.

Well It is nice to see they have their finger on the pulse of what people want and need in game....

*Raises a sarcastic eyebrow*

Economics is most definately not Ankama's strong point..

I am soooooooooooo looking forward to having to wear unmaged crap gear out of neccesity.....

Not to mention the pain for us players who actually enjoy maging or use it as an income. The logic here is maging will become none-profitable. One of the last guaranteed incomes for a lot of people now ruined... YAY!

Hang on, this means Ogrine sales will go up, ahhh the true Ankama agenda becomes apparent... Greed! Maybe they do know something about economics.... sad

This game sucks so bad with how many bad descicions Ankama is making in quick succession right now. So out of touch with the population and communities.... sad

Not that it really matters to me, considering the fact the class I play was made redundant and ruined first. So all this is irrellevant to people in this same boat. Nothing in game really matters while the class you play is redundant.

But C'mon Ankama get a grip! It starts by listening to what the community has been saying since the rubbish given us in the form of the last patch update. Fix it quick, your pushing the population to the bubble point that will eventually pop. Just like before the server decline.

Will you repeat the same mistakes... again?
4 0
Score : 115

I am as saddened as you are by their decision.

People who simply enjoy maging like you and I will lose money whilst those who don't care will make a significant amount of money just by selling runes. Selling some items already takes a tremendous amount of time, there was no need for an increase of difficulty on this side of the game.

Ankama also mentioned they want the game to be less luck based, but they are essentially making it more luck based in terms of how you can earn kamas by doing that.

3 0

Yup, too easy game = boring game = ppl will leave, but who cares, right?
Lets make everything simple! -.-'
Every low lvl player now will have all profs, coz it will be so easy to exp . I'm not saying the crafting recipes are good, coz they are not, and need to be changed. But giving more experience from gathering profs and drop mats is soo bad idea, please don't do it...

1 0
Score : 115

Gathering profs were already non-profitable due to the ridiculously low value of resources and high competition between each consumable based profs.

Miners were the exception due to the extreme rarity of dolomite, but since there will be more people with a sufficient level to mine it, it will indeed become even rarer and unaffordable.

Gathering profs were already quite easy as they require very little investment, despite the new receipes that require you to either have another prof or to buy some resources. Making these profs easier will only make things worse.

1 0

Maging is really fun right now, only thing i would add aboubt it is (rune sink value), while maging item. So i dont have to use calculator for it biggrin

1 0
Score : 622

Yeah forget making this game easier for new levels so they quit faster than ever. Let’s keep drop rates at 0.1-1% so no one can progress at all. Even endgamers attempting to quest because they have to depend on rng.

0 -3
Score : 622

Yeah forget making this game easier for new levels so they quit faster than ever. Let’s keep drop rates at 0.1-1% so no one can progress at all. Even endgamers attempting to quest because they have to depend on rng.

1 -2

How is making runes harder to obtain making the game easier? All I see is them  messing with the economics of the game and making maging redundant as a currant Kama maker.

Also destroying a part of the game for those who enjoy maging, by making it frustratingly expensive and out of reach unless you pay real money into the ogrine exchange to level the Magus or use it.

Disgusting and in no way making this part of the game easy or fun. It is an Ankama Ogrine sales cash grab.The drop increase, meh, shadowed by this game breaking descision about the rune generation percentage rate.

Quit forcing our wallets ankama, before we eventually break and leave you to rot as a company.

So far none of our issues have been addressed with a date or any scedualed commitment for possitive change, to right the wrongs of the last patch, even after Ankama's admitance at the hatchet job with some classes. In the most recent Ask Ankama answers.

So you know certain classes are currantly redundant, when will there be a fix? 9, 12 months down the line, or as per norm 4 to 6 years down the line?

Do you think the player base will wait  and stick around while you pump out money grubbbing like the change to runes above? They didn't last time (server decline / merger) and they won't again, TAKE A HINT!

3 0

Hi everyone,

More information from [Briss] about this subject:

"The purpose of this update is not to allow everyone to easily level up professions, even at low level.

We agree that it is difficult for a new player to equip themselves via crafting, but we do not want it to be totally autonomous. The fact of having to invest to reach the level necessary for the crafting of an item seems important to us, especially in a context where anyone can acquire all the professions.

We do not want everyone to level up all their professions and independent. We prefer that equipment manufacturing always depends on the availability of a craftsman.

Where we have gaps is in the availability of craftsmen for new players. Profession books are not very practical, and we would like to work on this in the future."

Score : 3011

What does he say about the runes nerf? 

0 0
Respond to this thread