FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Revamping Pets

By #[Briss] - ANKAMA - August 09, 2018, 16:00:00

The pet system is probably one of the oldest still in use, and although it has been modified several times over the years, it's no longer suitable and now needs to be completely overhauled. This will include how pets work (feeding, evolution rate, etc.) as well as their bonuses. To make this devblog simpler to read, we'll primarily be discussing pets, but everything explained here applies to petsmounts as well.

We'll be offering a new system that fulfills the following objectives:

• Remove time-based restrictions on pet progression
  • Provide pets with competitive bonuses relative to mounts
  • Allow them to influence the economy of game servers
  • Update the method for obtaining them so they're more integrated with other types of content
  • Have a system that is more accessible

To achieve these objectives, adjustments have been made to every aspect of the system.

How Pets Progress

Pet progression is now based on level; pets are level 0 when first obtained and can gain experience, with a level cap of 100.

For pets to gain experience, they must be fed. Their diet has also been considerably expanded, and it will no longer be necessary to wait a while before being able to feed one's pet again; pets can now be fed any resource, at any time.

The amount of experience provided by a resource depends on various factors: its level, how difficult it is to obtain (the lower the drop rate, the more experience granted), and its origin (if it drops from a dungeon keeper or is harvested, for example). To clarify things for those familiar with the recycling system, the same criteria are used (the only difference being that controlled areas have no bearing on pets).

Bonuses

As for pet bonuses, these now depend directly on the pet's level: If a pet is level 50, it only has a 50% bonus; at level 100, it has the maximum bonus. Initially, it's very easy to level up a pet, and this gets progressively harder (and therefore more expensive).

Part of the new system is that pets now progress in only one way; it will no longer be possible to choose which characteristics you want to improve. This should make a greater number of pets more useful; instead of, for example, having a pet qualify for three different bonuses, it will now have only one bonus, and its two other characteristics will be available from other pets. We took the opportunity to greatly improve bonuses for all pets so they would compare more favorably against mounts.

There are a few exceptions: Pets that currently don't need to be fed (e.g. Brulay and Quaquack) still won't progress in the new system. Their bonuses have been made more appealing, but it won't be possible to feed them, and they'll have their maximum bonus when you get them (as is currently the case). 

Ways to Obtain Pets

There are currently multiple ways to receive a pet: completing a dungeon or quest, buying one from an NPC or the Shop (using Ogrines), or trading with another player.

We're going to substantially increase the number of pets that can be obtained in game. This will mean removing most pets from the Shop and various promotions so as to make them obtainable through accessible in-game content. At the outset, nearly 40 pets will be transferred from the Shop, and so we'll make sure to regularly add some over successive updates.

Each pet will be linked to content you'll need to have completed (e.g. quests or achievements), at which point you'll see the pet in the form of an NPC. Then you'll have to obtain a certain number of resources for it (linked with the same content) to be able to adopt it. Generally speaking, each pet can only be acquired once per character.

We'll also be reviewing how you unlock certain pets that can already be obtained in game, with the goal of limiting the ability to generate an excessive number of them. We've noticed these pets are often abandoned, fed to Dragoones or ground up, which is rather unfortunate… and cruel.

Pet-Centered Systems

One major change is that pets no longer have health points. That means they can't be killed or injured anymore, and so it won't be necessary to heal them or revive them.

We also removed the system of favorite areas and increased abilities. We think the new pet bonuses will really be interesting and diverse enough without needing to have this system added on top.

As a result, certain systems relating to pets have been modified or removed:

• The pet dungeon is essentially pointless now, and was therefore removed.
  • Pet ghosts have been removed.
    • Those found in a player inventory or Marketplace will be automatically revived.
  • Pet certificates have been removed.
    • Those found in a player inventory or Marketplace will be automatically replaced by the appropriate pet.
  • Eniripsa Powder and Resurrection Powder have been removed.
  • Hormones have been removed.
  • Improvement Potions can no longer be crafted.
    • You'll be able to use your Improvement Potions to collect their component ingredients (except for Hormones).
  • Croquette Potions have been removed.

Conveting Old Pets into New Ones

Your pets' bonuses will not be lost when the system is updated. Your pets will be reset (to level 0), but you'll receive a resource allowing you to give a certain number of experience points to any pet.

• The amount of experience granted by this resource depends on the pet and how much XP it had acquired.
  • For example, the new Nomoon will give a maximum of 120 Prospecting. If you have one that gives 90 Prospecting, you'll get a resource that allows you to raise any pet's level to 75. If you give it to your Nomoon, it will then give 90 Prospecting. 
    • You may certainly choose to give this resource to another pet to raise it to level 75 (and it will provide a bonus other than 90 Prospecting, depending on the pet).
    • If your Nomoon only gave 60 Prospecting, you'll receive a level 50 resource.
    • If you have a Baby Crowdzilla that gives 44 Prospecting, you'll receive a resource allowing you to raise a pet's level to approximately 36.7.
    • If you have more than one pet, you'll receive as many resources as you have pets, and it will be possible to give several to a single pet. Keep in mind that in this case, the level reached by the pet will not be the sum of the levels of each resource; since the progress curve for pets isn't linear, the higher level they are, the more experience they'll need to reach the next level.
  • Some pets, however, will become ceremonial items (especially those acquired through DOFUS Pets). In this case, you'll receive the pet as a ceremonial item, and if it had bonuses, you'll also get a resource allowing you to raise another pet to an equal level.

First Ankama intervention

Here are some answers to your most asked questions.

Would it be possible for us to be told what the new pet bonuses will be?
You’ll be able to discover and be surprised by these new bonuses during the Beta.

What will become of the resistance pets?
Pets providing resistances, from which it was possible to choose what characteristics to raise, will become mono-elemental pets. We would rather leave the bi-elemental resistances for seemyools and rhineetles. This does not mean future pets providing bi-elemental resistances will never be implemented in-game.
There will be a pet for each elemental resistance, and these will be easily obtainable. We don’t want to ruin the surprise on this either so we will leave it for you to discover during the Beta phase.

What happens to soul-eating pets?
Those pets will no longer eat souls but will be fed via resources instead.

What will happen with quests requiring Eniripsa powders or pets/ghosted pets?
Quest and recipes needing these will be modified with the update.

For pets that will become ceremonial items, will they still become ceremonial items if they have been mimisymbic’d?
All items will be correctly converted to ceremonial items, even if they have been mimisymbic’d. This will work for pets, petsmounts, as well as community event items, and shields recently converted to ceremonial items.

Why are you getting rid of the Pet Sanctuary?
An already rarely visited dungeon, the Pet Sanctuary will be of no utility now that we are removing pets’ ghosted state. 
To give you an idea: Catseye, the least visited dungeons in the game, welcomes twice as many adventurers as the Pet Sanctuary over the same period of time. Kralove, for example, which is restrictive to open, welcomes 10 times more players! 
We do not wish to keep this dungeon as it is. We understand some players would like to see it kept for nostalgic reasons but a dungeon revamp would be too time-consuming and laborious, and not part of our plans for this update.

What will become of legendary pets (White Bow Meow, Ginger Bow Meowette, Bow Wow)?
They will continue to not need feeding, but their bonuses will obviously be reviewed. 

Will there be achievements linked to pets?
We plan to create pet-related achievements once they have all been implemented. So this will not happen with this update.
Will new resources be added to treasure hunt rewards, to replace the removal of the Eniripsa powders?
For the moment, we have no plans to add new rewards to treasure hunts.

Will the ghosted pets that are automatically revived have characteristics?
Like for other pets, revived ghosted pets will see their experience reset to 0. The previously acquired experience will be found in the form of a croquette, which once given to a pet will allow it to regain experience.

Will pets obtained via the DOFUS Pets game be linked to the account?
Such pets will always be linked to an account for two months from the moment the pet is generated in-game. After this period of time, you will be able to sell it.

For pets that will only be obtainable once per account, will they be linked to the said account?
The restriction is set to once per character, not per account. These pets will not be linked to an account either. You will be able to exchange them.

Will you remove the achievement “Too Many of These”?
No, we will keep this achievement. The Bow Meow is a pet that can be obtained multiple times by the same character.

What becomes of Oshimo?
Oshimo remains present in the game. He is still involved in some quests. 

When will the Beta server open?
The 2.48 update for the Beta server should be available at the end of the month if all goes well.

See message in context
Reactions 90
Score : 25912

What will happen to the pet cemetery?
I used to make 3-6 mk daily (2-3 hours doing pet cemetery) when I played 4-6 accounts by selling resu powder.

Edit: nvm. it was removed. Yay! Another happy time.

1 -11
Score : 2067

I was expecting something less... lazy.
Pets with other kind of benefits other than raw stats. You know, the kind of benuses you get from Dofuses.

1 0
Score : 828

What happens to pets/petsmounts from dofus pets that have been mimi’d to another pet/petsmount?

0 0
Score : 828

Also, really excited for these changes. Looking forward to finding out new stats they give and hope that they really are competitive against mounts.

I personally hate wearing mounts so I hope these changes will really make pets an option as well.

1 0
Score : 2508

pets thats are currently ghosts, will they be converted into experience resources as well? Or must they be alive first? (I have a lot of old dead pets..)

1 0
Score : 1554

So my soul eating Tofury is going to become a ceremonial mount after all the work I did to kill BuckAnear a billion times?  EDIT:  I'm not that upset but I was looking forward to maxing it out and getting the area bonus in frigost.  T_T

0 0
Score : 12962

I am not sad to see the pet dungeon leave... haven't run it in YEARS, due to how slow and annoying I found it...lol. I'm excited to see what my pets are going to change into though - had a max Dragoon I've used to level many many characters over the years.

0 -1
Score : 155

Pets revam, thats so cool. Cant wait new update

0 0
Score : 400

Any chance that we'll bè able to obtain rare petsmounts like the Dhrellakna in game?

0 0

They make them available but most likely not since they were a unique mount specific to the Wakfunding event.  

0 0
Score : 2071

could ghost be equivelant of pet or an invisible mount we can mimi and maybe more chance for cosmetics like wakfu movement?
i think the dungeon was a mini game of its own, maybe more of these instead of over the top bosses we have to learn to beat

either way i think this revamp is really nice

0 0
Score : 2466

Sad to see a unique dungeon like the Pet Sanctuary being removed. Although I dont run it often because theres no achieves or worthwhile rewards, it would be nice to see it stay or more incarnation like dungeons to be made in the future.

1 0

Instead of removing pet dungeon because resu powder will not be relevant, they should have just make the dungeon reward be something else. Maybe there could be a new reward like a pet kibble that can be fed to any pet to gain pet exp. Or a new pet, or a new emote, or a new ceremonial item, or a new set, or a new resources that can be used to craft new things, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.... The possibilities are limited only by the imagination.

2 -4
Score : 1811

Great stuff! Looks promising! Apart from removing the pet sanctuary, just change the reward and keep it, please.

3 0
Score : 1893

Hello ^^ i am curious what will happen to the pets that give emotes like the ogrine seeker or dauge? i hope they keep the emotes.

0 0

Here are some answers to your most asked questions.

Would it be possible for us to be told what the new pet bonuses will be?
You’ll be able to discover and be surprised by these new bonuses during the Beta.

Pets providing resistances, from which it was possible to choose what characteristics to raise, will become mono-elemental pets. We would rather leave the bi-elemental resistances for seemyools and rhineetles. This does not mean future pets providing bi-elemental resistances will never be implemented in-game.
There will be a pet for each elemental resistance, and these will be easily obtainable. We don’t want to ruin the surprise on this either so we will leave it for you to discover during the Beta phase.

What happens to soul-eating pets?
Those pets will no longer eat souls but will be fed via resources instead.

What will happen with quests requiring Eniripsa powders or pets/ghosted pets?
Quest and recipes needing these will be modified with the update.

For pets that will become ceremonial items, will they still become ceremonial items if they have been mimisymbic’d?
All items will be correctly converted to ceremonial items, even if they have been mimisymbic’d. This will work for pets, petsmounts, as well as community event items, and shields recently converted to ceremonial items.

An already rarely visited dungeon, the Pet Sanctuary will be of no utility now that we are removing pets’ ghosted state. 
To give you an idea: Catseye, the least visited dungeons in the game, welcomes twice as many adventurers as the Pet Sanctuary over the same period of time. Kralove, for example, which is restrictive to open, welcomes 10 times more players! 
We do not wish to keep this dungeon as it is. We understand some players would like to see it kept for nostalgic reasons but a dungeon revamp would be too time-consuming and laborious, and not part of our plans for this update.

What will become of legendary pets (White Bow Meow, Ginger Bow Meowette, Bow Wow)?
They will continue to not need feeding, but their bonuses will obviously be reviewed. 

Will there be achievements linked to pets?
We plan to create pet-related achievements once they have all been implemented. So this will not happen with this update.
Will new resources be added to treasure hunt rewards, to replace the removal of the Eniripsa powders?
For the moment, we have no plans to add new rewards to treasure hunts.

Will the ghosted pets that are automatically revived have characteristics?
Like for other pets, revived ghosted pets will see their experience reset to 0. The previously acquired experience will be found in the form of a croquette, which once given to a pet will allow it to regain experience.

Will pets obtained via the DOFUS Pets game be linked to the account?
Such pets will always be linked to an account for two months from the moment the pet is generated in-game. After this period of time, you will be able to sell it.

For pets that will only be obtainable once per account, will they be linked to the said account?
The restriction is set to once per character, not per account. These pets will not be linked to an account either. You will be able to exchange them.

No, we will keep this achievement. The Bow Meow is a pet that can be obtained multiple times by the same character.

What becomes of Oshimo?
Oshimo remains present in the game. He is still involved in some quests. 

When will the Beta server open?
The 2.48 update for the Beta server should be available at the end of the month if all goes well.

Score : 121

"For pets that will become ceremonial items, will they still become ceremonial items if they have been mimisymbic’d?
All items will be correctly converted to ceremonial items, even if they have been mimisymbic’d. This will work for pets, petsmounts, as well as community event items, and shields recently converted to ceremonial items."

I'm still confused, what happens if a pet which becomes ceremonial, is mimisymbic'd itself? will the mimi just disappear and you will just get ceremonial pet?

0 0
Score : 11335

[Manaia]|2018-08-10 15:59:12
No, we will keep this achievement. The Bow Meow is a pet that can be obtained multiple times by the same character

The achievement "Too Many Of These" is gotten from killing a Bow Meow in a crusher.  "The Bow Meow is a pet that can be obtained multiple times by the same character" doesn't really explain how it'll work once pets can no longer die.  (... or will it still be possible to crush them?  Becuase... that was icky enough already)
0 0

I know, it doesn’t really clarify how it’ll work…  I’ll poke them a little more on this Monday morning. smile

Score : -4035

Oh, noooooooooo :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I used to love raising pets, soul eaters ... Why removing this feature, of having some pets raised via resources, and some via souls feeding? I don't get it, really ... The only thing that probably needed to be done is to improve soul eaters pets stats over resources eater pets, since the second doesn't involve that much time and risk as the first; and maybe some balancing, so that stats given by soul eater pets correlate with the difficulty of killing the mobs they eat, and with the amount of souls needed to get max stats.

I will be more that disappointed, if the soul eating method to raise pets gets obliterated from the the game. I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this method. They were only suggestions, like the one mentioned above, to balance the difficulty of the mobs needed to be killed with the max stats offered by the soul eater pets.

I guess that from this new update pets won't be one of my favorite thing in game.
I feel dumb for buying already not 1, not 2 ... but 8 ceremonial lil dragons (I forgot name) with irl money, since I won't be needing them anymore.
Why we haven't been told before those ceremonial lil dragons were on shop for irl money that a revamp obliteration of soul eater pets is about to come?

1 -6

You could argue that same thing about any sales they have in the shop.  Lots of people complain after they buy stuff in the shop and then the next day or so there's a sale on that same thing.  

3 0

[Manaia]|2018-08-10 15:59:12

It is rarely visited because it is rarely necessary to visit it with a reward that is only relevant to those who want to revive a pet and can't afford to buy resu powder. But if you change the reward to something more useful like pet kibble which could level up any pet, I'm sure a lot more player would visit it.
Even without pets' ghosted state, a pet dungeon can still be viable. Just change the entry mechanics wherein players will be transformed to a living pet incarnation.
Well, it you are all too busy to revamp the pet dungeon, then don't get rid of it. Just put a "For Renovation" sign, and come back to it in a few years or so.
2 -3
Score : -4035

Well, Gunner ... What if shutting down the Pet Sanctuary is only the beginning of shutting down more low lev dungs because they are "already rarely visited dungeons"?

If some/ most of low lev dungeons have become "already rarely visited dungeons" is only because of how the game has "evolved" to a mad rush to lev 199 - 200 - 200+ for most players. And in that rush most players only step into low lev dungs a couple of times or so, for achievements purposes, then they never walk again to that dungeon. While some players who don't bother with achievements, and only for the rush to 200+, don't step into low lev dungs at all, or if they do, they do it out of boredom, when there's no xp party available.

But don't get me wrong, I am not condemning the rush to 200+ of most players. After all, each has the right to choose the ways s/he can get the best gaming experience for themselves from this game. It is up to everyone to pick what they like to do in the game.

But is extremely hard for a new low lev player/ returning player to find a party for a low lev dung, since a great % of players are on the rush to 200 + .

And it is not up to me, a casual player with no great goals in game right now, since I am on holiday for a bit, to come up with solutions to raise interest of players in lower levs dungeons...

2 -2
Score : 112

No, please don't revive my pet ghosts. I have a MASSIVE collection of dead pets that I want to keep growing

0 0
Score : 2328

[Manaia]|2018-08-10 08:59:12

I'm mostly on board with this update, but I feel like this isn't a good idea. One of the stated goals is to "provide pets with competitive bonuses relative to mounts," but changing the res pets goes against that at first glance. The res pets are already competitive with mounts because instead of being tied to one or two specific elements, you can give it exactly what amount of exactly what resistances your set demands. The two ways I can envision trying to keep them competitive with mounts would be either...
  1. Add yet more resistance on top of the 26%. While this seems like it would make them a more competitive choice, some gear options may make the extra points redundant, and therefore irrelevant.
  2. Add fixed resistance in addition to %Resistance. This is probably the more interesting option, but in my mind solidifies resistance pets as a 1v1-only sort of thing, and not worth giving up the current flexibility that the res pets have.

Updating pets is definitely a worthwhile project, and most of these changes sound phenomenal, but I hope you'll reconsider this one exception.
0 0
Respond to this thread