FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[ FYI @ About Dofus ] : Dofus, 1.29, Retro, Unity ( & Wakfu, & Krosmaga)

By bohemia - SUBSCRIBER - October 03, 2019, 04:23:40
[ FYI @ About Dofus ] : Dofus 1.29, Retro, Unity ( & Wakfu, & Krosmaga)

I've seen a link today, on one of the Dofus related Discord servers, to a post of Tot, regarding the present and future of some of the dimensions of the Ankama universe:

https://tot-prod.blog/2019/10/02/points-sur-les-projets/

For those wanting to know even more about Ankama universe:

https://tot-prod.blog/

For those wanting to know a lil about present and [possible/ hypothetical]  future of Dofus, 1.29, Retro, Unity ( & Wakfu , & Krosmaga), I've done a lil & quick translation for the Discord server where I have seen the link to Tot's article from October 2nd 2019 (if/ when I translate more of it, I'll edit this post, or make a reply to it, with other bits of it getting translated):

POINTS [ / ASPECTS ] OF PROJECTS  [ Blog note from October 2nd, 2019 ]

[1 INTRO ]
[ ... ]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAMES

[ 2] DOFUS and Wakfu & Krosmaga

I'm shaking at the thought of starting this section. I see already coming "You should work more on Dofos", "Your best game is Wakfu, the rest is poopoo", "You have abandoned Krosmaga", "And Dofus Arena, when it will come back?". I often explained, in grand length, our choice and our way of working. You have critisised a lot these themes, and I fear that, regardless our replies, it will never be enough. I know it is your passion that animates you, but it makes it difficult to exchange [ideas] on them, when I have the impression that we will never satisfy you fully. Nevertheless, if we look back, we see the progress. It is never quick enough, I agree, but it advances/ moves forward. With regards to Dofus and Wakfu, the Updates are there, the team is there, and the game is better than last year. I don't know why, but the persons who cry that Dofus is dead, [well, those persons] are wrong. Dofurs goes well and it goes even better than well, and the team is preparing beautiful surprises for end of year. On the contrary, Wakfu aint that good/ it remains in same place, and the numbers aren't brilliant.

I am on same side with you on Krosmaga. I have explained, the game wasn't making money, so we couldn't keep the team [for it]. Being one of the fathers of the game, I am the first one to be disappointed. So we all went to Waven. You should know that Krosmaga was our first game on Unity, and we have developed it, thinking of "sharping our teeth" on it / [get ready/ prepare for it]. In the end, on this project, we haven't lost money, it made money back.

And to show you that we're listening to you, we're preparing a new Update. It is an experience in which we will include you, and you will hear about it pretty soon.

[ 3 ] Dofus Retro & Dofus Unity

The success of Dofus Retro is impressing. It is still hard for me to understand. I know you have been asking for the come back of Dofus 1.29, but still ... At the beginning, I told myself that you will re-start the game 1 hour, and you will run away the next day, but no ... one week after, the affluence continues. The figures are truly incredible, and we will allocate a team for this project. It is really big/ enormous, and I thank you for it. I have to admit that reviewing my old graphics and "GD" [ = ... ? ], dated 15 years ago, it gave me a shock. Imagine my small Gobballs, I had [around] 20 years at the time. And I think that half of you must have been between 10 to 15 years old. Sacred leap in time. And after replaying, I admit that we have lost something during the years and during the development. That something, is the simplicity. It has been a while since we have started telling you about a port of Dofus to Unity, and all the work on Waven has helped us a lot to prepare that. But it scares us, to have to re-develop all the functionalities of the present Dofus. But given the enthusiasm for Dofus Retro, we think maybe we could start from this version. It is only a hypothesis, but if we switch the game to full fledged 3D , for a playable verison for PC and Mobile , we will go faster starting with 1.29. And in that context, maybe we could revisit/re-see the story .. We [could/ would] propose you progressively the same Updates like in the last 10 years, keeping only what it really worked. This is an idea a lil bit nuts, but which could be nice enough and would have the benefit of being able to get there "fast enough". We will speak [about it] soon.

[ 4 ] WAVEN
[...]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                              BOARD GAME
[ 5 ] ARKEIS
[...]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                             ANIMATIONS
[ 6 ] WAKFU S4
[...]

[ 7 ] DRAGON PRINCESS
[...]

[ 8 ] MONSTER SLAUGHTER
[...]

[ 9 ] THE SURPRISE 
[...]

[ EDIT : ] If you're curious to know more, do scroll down, more parts translated as replies on this thread.
5 -1
Reactions 16
Score : 2842

We [could/ would] propose you progressively the same Updates like in the last 10 years, keeping only what it really worked. This is an idea a lil bit nuts, but which could be nice enough and would have the benefit of being able to get there "fast enough". We will speak [about it] soon.

Oo, if they added an achievement system to retro I would play it; That's really the only reason I'm not right now.
0 -1
Score : 2950

Retro should be left as is.
I hope if they ever decided to start a version of Dofus with the Unity plugin they make it from scratch and leave Retro as it is now.
I'm all for small quality of life changes being made provided it doesn't make the experience any less 'retro'.
In other words,as long as it doesn't start taking steps closer to 2.0 it's all good.

All the people I have spoken to on Algathe have  all said that the only reason they are here on Retro is because it is a retro dofus experience.
Changing that has a very high probability of scaring people away,like the transition to 2.0 did all those years ago.

1 0
Score : 576

I agree, as a 12 year veteran they made the gameplay too complicated. That includes the spells, professions, dungeons etc.

They need to keep the retro servers as they are. Yes add some qol improvements, but the core of 1.30 needs to stay as it is.

I'm enjoying the game on Hissering more than I have for years.

0 0
Score : -1888
source (click to read original, in French)

[ 1 INTRO ]

After long months of absence, voila, poof, like a sensual and wonderful phoenix reborn from its ashes.
My last note here goes back to Matshusalem [ Matshusalem ] , so I grabbed a lil moment to restart the machine. The topics and the projects have chained at sound speed, and I have even forgotten about the existence of this blog.

As a reminder, this blog had (and still has) as first vocation/ purpose to exchange [ideas] mainly on Waven, by sharing more general reflections. Finally, the launch of Waven alpha and the opening of its official website came, calming lightly my enthusiasm. In the good way, of course, but I felt less the need to communicate because this has been taken over by our national XyaLe, and our new recruit Mugi aka Touf on the balancing part. In short, it is a business that works, and both are eager to exchange and share [ideas] with you in the best way possible.

And then, I will not hide that this year has been quite busy. Waven, of course (which is in production and requires the attention of a new born), but not that [only]. In the background, there is an enormous amount of projects, each more existing/ [important] than others. Of course, I am not on all fronts, but I will try to give you an update on most of them.

Before we start, I would like to remind you that this is my personal blog, that I am sharing here with you open-hearted, and that (sometime) I can say [some] nonsense. While I am writing, I share with you my moods, desires and projects of the moment. Nothing should be taken literally, and do not see great unchanging promises in the information that I am giving you.

And to finish this introduction, I will thank you from the bottom of my heart, to you, who have been following us for so many years. Our adventure at Ankama is really incredible, and we owe this to you. I will write a book, one day, on all the phases we went through, and you can imagine that not everything has been always pink. But after 18 years of existence and 15 years with Dofus, you are still here, with us. The Dofus Retro Event has put me a kind of slap of nostalgia, and seeing so many of you at the rendezvous/ [encounter], really touched me ... Dofus, it is obviously more than a game. It is a sacred, beautiful and big family.

Thank you.

1 0
Score : 17045

" ...And after replaying, I admit that we have lost something during the years and during the development."

Simplicity wasn't the only thing lost. Dofus 1.29 has a unique flavor that current Dofus lacks. Please notice it and utilize it.

0 0
Score : 73

I think that "unique flavour" is quite simply put as excitement which the current Dofus lacks, such as droppable dofuses, keys, equipment (easier crafts which dont require either a quest item or something similar), the chance at a rare and expensive resource, each class having its own personality, identity and use in the game, being able to pvp on more than one account allows you to actually WANT to gear 8 accounts and try to continuously improve on those gears, easier pvm content which doesn't make the player frustrated, not having everything end game locked behind 400 quests which are quite literally a marathon simulator etc etc

1 0

[ 4 ] WAVEN

We are in the production phase. The loop of the game has been clear for a while and we are now producing a lot of content. We have many beautiful scenery, tons of animated monsters, dozens of new pets[mounts] in preparation. In any case, know that there will be something for everyone/ for all tastes. We are currently working on dungeons and we have started testing. It is really nice, and I can not wait to introduce you the best. For the moment, we have planned to divide the modes in this way :
  • "PvP" Mode : 1vs1 & 2vs2 that you already know, and Royal Battle on which we keep the surprise.
  • "Quest" Mode : The Dungeons, Wards, Temples and Prisons, are the four types of places that you can visit. each place will have its own specific game play.
  • "Asynchronous" Mode : This mode will allow you to develop your Arena, and to attack other disconnected/ [not logged] players.

I don't dwell on the subject, cuz you will have a big note describing in detail the game loop in the coming weeks. Thank you once again to those who are testing the game, and who allowed us to move forward and who helped us with the choices [that we have made].

I am taking this opportunity to place some visuals, just to support these big blocks of text.
Entry to BWORK Dungeon (WIP [ = Work In Progress ]

Research on interiors [rooms] of Dungeon BWORK

Entry to Chafer Dungeon (WIP)

Entry to VAMPYRE Dungeon (WIP)
Research Dungeon WAMPYRE

Entry to Gobbal Dungeon (WIP)

Research on boss

A few big pigs

1 0
Score : 325

I agree, as a 12 year veteran they made the gameplay too complicated. That includes the spells, professions, dungeons etc.

This game has never been easier /simpler. The quality of life updates over the past 15 years have been phenomenonal, as much as I wntyt to go back to playing 1.29 for that retro feel, as with playing the original pokemon games for example, it's such a clunky and tedious experience that you just can't go back to when you know that all of the problems are already solved on the current version 
2 -1
Score : 576

How do you make out that problems have been solved? If they had we wouldn't have empty servers, before 2.0 we had queues on most servers, now I can't remember the last time I had to queue. Apart from on the retro servers.

0 0
Score : 584

The sad thing is that I don't think the original developers really thought through what they were doing, and accidentally stumbled on smart things. The crafting system is a good example of this in both a good and bad way.

A lot of equipment requires a mixture of resources to collect from a wide area of the game. This is good design because it promotes the economy across a wide level range of the playerbase, enabling low levels to both interact with, and sell resources to high level players who need those things despite them being trivial, but time-consuming to collect. Stat scroll resources are a really good example of this, but they moved further and further away from it as an anti-bot measure, and made it even worse by making the solo activity of killing dopples the replacement.

It's not as though every recipe and system was perfect for interaction between players, as a lot of the original recipes are rather poor, but Pandala was a pretty significant turning point. Most equipment from then on was crafted exclusively from resources from an area designed for a specific level range, and so it caused those groups to become progressively more isolated from the rest of the players, as they required them less and less. Then every additional area after that followed the same formula.

As far as combat goes, I think traditional Sacriers are a really good example of how the fun of classes was also ruined. Sacriers don't have terribly complicated spells, but if you're smart enough to plan ahead, you can chain simple abilities, and clever movement, into complex maneuvers that can outwit your opponent. Obviously every class can do this, but the point is that spells don't need to be mechanically complex in order for there to be an obvious skill divide between the average and pro player.

Another understated thing is just how fun it is to be able to jump into fights with random players. This has always been one of the most enjoyable aspects for me, and also a massive point of contention with Retro. Of course it's fine that people want to group up with specific people to hunt monsters, but if you're a solo player who isn't in a group for whatever reason, watching multi-accounters kill monsters alone, or groups of friends locking their fights, it's frustrating to feel left out while everyone else is engaging with the multiplayer aspect of the game - especially because the prospecting lock makes it impossible to make-do alone. I don't know what the best way to address that would be, but it never used to be quite so bad before people were subscribing 8 accounts.

I'm sure I could go on, but I'm just rambling, and no developers are going to read this anyway.

1 -1
Score : 66

trilkgh|2019-10-03 04:30:09

We [could/ would] propose you progressively the same Updates like in the last 10 years, keeping only what it really worked. This is an idea a lil bit nuts, but which could be nice enough and would have the benefit of being able to get there "fast enough". We will speak [about it] soon.

Oo, if they added an achievement system to retro I would play it; That's really the only reason I'm not right now.

In my opinion, this is exactly one of the aspects that had ruined Dofus. Before the achievements you had just 2 chances to get a rare material: buy it from other players or drop it from the monsters.
Don't get me wrong, the idea of the achievement system is okay, but at least in my opinion the rewards are much too high.
0 0
Score : 2842

I agree that the rewards are too high, in fact I think they should be removed. The mats at least, I don't mind the experience part from it. I just really enjoy having goals to work towards, and without a set achievement system I have a really hard time enjoying retro. 

0 0

BOARD GAME

[ 5 ] ARKEIS 

If, like me, you are players of board games, you should know that we're launching a sick/ [impressive] Kickstarter at the beginning of November. The designs are terrible, the figurines are completely crazy, and [all] this is developed by the people from Coffee Machine (Cafetière). We [can] count in the group the real Bauza [ Bauza ], Maublanc [ Maublanc ], Rivière , Lebrat!

Eyes, beware, [the board game] sends tartar steak.
And the official website [for the game] is here: https://www.ankama.com/fr/boardgames/arkeis

1 0
Score : 52

1 0

ANIMATIONS

[ 6 ] WAKFU S4

Demanded/ asked by million of fans on the verge of apoplexy, this S4 has definetly a hard time to find a buyer/ a taker. Our friends from FTV can't find it anymore a place on the air (the series has become too adult), and the brotherhood has not seduced enough spectators on Netflix, so the platform does not follow on a new season.
Yugo (just like Tot) takes it personally, Pinpin is furious, Evangelyne tries to relativize, Amalia is disappointed not to be able to present her last dress and Ruel thinks that, anyway, all this was way too expensive ...
But you, the fans, don't let go of it/ don't drop the case. With tweets, emails, old-fashioned letters ... You claim/ demand this bloody season ... You absolutely want to know how we will kill Yugo ...

So, good news (well, we shall see if it is good at the moment of facts), we will prepare you a Kickstarter and see if you REALLY want to see more. We will commit to produce a few episodes, and we will reply on you to help us on the following ones. We will never have enough money, whatever your efforts ... But if you are sufficiently numerous, we bat that it will make the [tv] chains reflect [on it], and, who knows, it will make them review their judgement.

We talk about it at the beginning of next year.

[ 7 ] DRAGON PRINCESS

Good news for those interested, Dragon Princess is in production. We are currently recording the voices with formidable actors (and a no less formidable artistic director). It is about a beautiful little family film, that makes my Viking heart beat. I placed a lot of personal values in it and I was inspired by the Princes whom I have at home. I will tell you more soon.

[ 8 ] MONSTER SLAUGHTER

We are currently developing the series "Monster Slaughter" with the studio No Border and the later is likely to be a platform that I will not name (anyway, no one knows it because it does not have much success).

Here is the horrible Pitch of the project:
During a reality show, nine candidates must survive a series of tests imposed on them by an artificial intelligence. Organization, creation of the tests, realization, presentation ... The AI "Pandora" manages the whole show and it will not stop from anything to beat audience rates/ records ...

[ 9 ] THE SURPRISE 

We are developing a new project, on which I let you speculate (this is my sadistic side).

Thank you for reading, and "see you soon".

(end of translation)

source (click here, for original, in French)
1 -1
Respond to this thread