FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

New Feature: Log in to the Launcher with Multiple Accounts

By [Ankama]DOFUS - ADMIN - July 17, 2020, 16:30:00
AnkaTracker Announcements

Some of you have already noticed that in the Ankama Launcher, you can now add and log in with multiple accounts. We're here to explain why.

This feature, which has been in the BETA version of the Ankama Launcher for a few weeks now, lets you log in with multiple accounts belonging to the same player from the "main" account.

Some players are happy with this new feature while others are not, so we're going to explain our position as to why we added it.

Adapting to How Players Use the Game Without Betraying Its Spirit

It's an extremely difficult balance to achieve since the way players play has changed so much over the years. We fought against multi-accounting for a long time, and only a few years ago, it was even sanctioned across all servers.

What posed a problem for us during this time was letting single-account and multi-account players coexist in the same space, because each player's experiences were very different depending on whether they were in one category or the other. Whether it was access to resources, crafting certain items, or other things, players experienced unfair competition in a limited economic space, so at the time, multi-accounting had to be sanctioned.

DOFUS is a game that is more difficult to grasp than most games released nowadays, and we intend to stay on this path.

What Changed?

Especially since the single-account servers appeared, we've been able to see other solutions. We won't deny the fact that single-account players still play on classic servers, but giving them the opportunity to access other servers, where the impact multi-account players have is insignificant, now lets us come to terms with the fact that multi-accounting is widespread among our players. It will also provide an economic space that players can deviate from if they want to.

Obviously, the fact that it's impossible to transfer a character from a classic server to a single-account server is still an obstacle for many players, who must create a new character from square one, but this is a choice that we stand by wholeheartedly. The fact that the single-account servers are currently among the most popular would seem to confirm our decision.

What About Retro?

Right now, there aren't yet any single-account servers for DOFUS Retro. However, we already announced that we were working on this and that a single-account Retro server would be launched in 2020.

We're Facing the Facts

We don't want more players to choose multi-accounting. Even though this would lead to extra subscriptions, this isn't what the creators of DOFUS had in mind when they developed it. Multi-accounting is something players have embraced because in practice, it provides for greater in-game versatility, but in no way has it been encouraged.

We're adding this feature now in order to make logging in smoother when you want to play using multiple accounts, not to encourage it. DOFUS is still an MMO in which you typically only control one character at a time.

So What Next?

We regularly see players asking for a Hero system like what exists over on WAKFU. Although there is a greater possibility that such a feature could be added to the game than before, we will not make the exact same decisions that we made for WAKFU. If we want to add this feature someday, it would be adapted to the DOFUS gaming experience.

A new iteration of this feature is currently being developed, and we'll have the chance to tell you about it very soon.

Reactions 15
Score : 6913

I used to be against multiaccounting as well. And then I started getting into the more hardcore content in Dofus and going for achievements, and realized multiaccounting was the only way I could ever get anywhere. And so I had to embrace it.

I think a lot of people multiaccount because they feel they have to, and that has to be kept in mind regarding Dofus’s design.

0 0
Score : 83

It's kinda lame to say that ".. in no way has it been encouraged." when there was an only attempt at making a party search function that never worked (and it was removed from the game altogether).
This left multiaccounting as the best option to do anything, being it what makes the difference between players, all going alongside with the increased difficulty (coordination) and challenge of all the newly (not really new anymore, say the last 3-4 years) released dungeons.

I get that detecting multiaccounting can be hard, but when you own the client, you can perform all sorts of checks (if you really wanted to) to prevent people playing from different accounts at once. And yet, with the ability to spawn different instances of the game in different windows, and several functionalities addressing this setup specifically, it became easier than ever over the years. How does having options specific to multiaccounting in the game not count as "encouraging" it? The hell...

0 0
Score : 328

lightroy|2020-07-17 19:14:28
It's kinda lame to say that ".. in no way has it been encouraged." when there was an only attempt at making a party search function that never worked (and it was removed from the game altogether).
This left multiaccounting as the best option to do anything, being it what makes the difference between players, all going alongside with the increased difficulty (coordination) and challenge of all the newly (not really new anymore, say the last 3-4 years) released dungeons.
​​

I stopped playing dofus recently and went to ffxiv on a friend's recommendation and there is no way I'm going back.
the single account quality of life is phenomenal, dungeon and group finders(with daily incentives for participation) make it so easy to just play the games content 
0 0
Score : 69

New feature : even more lag

Thanks for making it less playable

0 0
Score : 1667

you could Always login with multiple accs using ctrl + the number of accs you wanted to log. What has changed now?

0 0

When you add multiple accounts, then when you press ctrl + # it takes you directly to the character selection screen (or whatever you have it set to) for each account instead of doing that for only one and asking you to type login information in for the rest.

0 0
Score : 4521

-X-Ashley-X-|2020-07-18 10:37:23

When you add multiple accounts, then when you press ctrl + # it takes you directly to the character selection screen (or whatever you have it set to) for each account instead of doing that for only one and asking you to type login information in for the rest.

Is this working for everyone else? I added two other accounts in the launcher Multi-account options, and it still only logs in the first account.

Never mind, I removed the added accounts and added them again, and now it's working.
0 0
Score : 5

adjfaksj'a;jfk;aj;'fj';sdfa'sk;dgja
sdfklas
;f'a is how i feel atm not being able to play because my game will not download anymore

0 0
Score : 84

It is so sad to see that you guys are encouraging multi accounting even you throw bs as you dont. Where is the party finder then ? Why don't we have party finder which is a MUST in mmorpgs.. Nevermind, it is sad not to be able to play new contents of Dofus because if you are a single-player this game doesnt help you.

1 0
Score : 425

what still bumms me out is the fact that indeed it is impossible to change servers from a classic to a mono account server.
It's not that I dont want to multi but I dont have the time nor the graphics for it. I understand it may disturb the economy however DOFUS itself also had several economy flaws itself and we got over it. (such as the item multiplication thing that happened).

I know my comment wont change anything about transferring to a mono server whatsoever but it really is something that pisses me off.

1 0

Too many good things in this game are ruined because of the focus on the economy, unfortunately. I wish Ankama wouldn't put economy ahead of enjoyment.

1 0
Score : 22007

Ah I am okay with the decision...

-Cato 

0 0
Score : 580

a version of heroes system in dofus sounds exciting!

2 0
Score : 56

I would truly love a version of the hero system in Dofus because the Hero system is one of my favorite features of Wakfu. The reasons I would/may multi account are 1) I can set up a character to be a merchant and put them in merchant mode while I continue to play and 2) to help me run dungeons, achivements and quests that I am having a hard time solo. There is no 'find group' feature and even though there are active guilds, when you are a low level character, most lvl 200 characters don't want to run gob dungeon with you.
Also another fun thing would be the dungeon difficulty adjustment like is in Wakfu, that way even high level players can still enjoy the lower dungeons.

0 0
Score : -127

I think if you want players to believe that you do not encourage multi accounting it's a good idea to put back in place group finder but with more functionality such as: incentives to use group finder, perhaps xp/drops bonus, more general options like xp group, drop group, "dont care any group", arena group; just to name a few. 

Also limiting multi to 4 max instead of 8 would be great aswell. It will encourage 8 acc multi accounter to invite friends, guildies to join stuff. 

I also think multi breaks the economy. Some players have 8 accounts and just from PvM have gained billions in resources etc.
If you look around village zapp there are merchants with hundreds even thousands of various boss mats, monster mats.

When you have quests fights that basically require a particular class or quest fights like the dimension ones where you must kill 8 mobs. It shows favoritism to multi accounters.

It might be a good idea to try certain solo quest fights and see how hard it is with certain classes.
And either lower the difficulty accordingly, or allow 1 more person to join that's on the same step.

In the end I dont think multi should be removed entirely but it does deserve a nerf. 

From a multi accounter.

1 0
Respond to this thread