FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Bots

By nykarleby99#6702 - SUBSCRIBER - May 28, 2022, 10:32:07
AnkaTracker ReplyTracker
Reactions 67
Score : 2

They can reply to other threads, but this one continues to be ignored. I know they can't really say what they're doing about bots, but right now, they seem to be doing nothing. They really need to invest in community moderators because letting the systems do that is (mostly) always a failure. 

0 0
Score : 14

Just let it stay a few weeks and your guild will get free levels at this point

(perc has 0 wisdom)

stay safe

peace out!!!
0 0
Score : 328

150m xp from a level 100 dungeon. Gotta love it. Not a bot issue at all pensive

0 0
Score : 3

Bump, hello mod still no reply?

0 0
Score : 2218

The Eliocalypse questline eventually took me to the place I had been so curious about ever since this thread was created: Lord Crow's Library. What I discovered was somewhat strange.

The monsters in the dungeon don't provide any loot or exp anymore, and all their names were reset to their French variants. Perceptors were all full and worth a lot of money, but there were no bots to be seen. A moderator/admin must have disabled the dungeon's loot system altogether and the bots took this as a cue to leave and farm somewhere else.

Here's where things get odd. Deep in the dungeon (say, room 10-14) the mobs were completely normal; ie, with their usual names (though I didn't check if they drop loot). Still, no bots seemed to be around.

It remains pretty shameful that no official voice has been aired in this thread. With that said, I think the problem has been dealt with, since there were absolutely no bots running around. I could be wrong though, so some official acknowledgement would be very helpful.

0 0

Hey!

Regarding the loot and xp in Lord Crow's Library. I forgot to make an update last week, but they did remove the loot and xp then on the small weekly update, which is quite a meme way to solve the bot problem. Instead of banning the bots they just remove the loot and xp for everyone on all servers. But guess it worked, no bots in that particular area anymore biggrin Haven't had much time to play dofus past weeks, but I assume the problem is still the same in all other areas, and the Treasure Hunt bots. 
And interesting how it's like normal in some rooms, but not in others? Maybe a bug?pensive 

Regarding a response from Ankama. We replied on a twitter post they made yesterday with the following text:

• Any update on when we will get a reply on our forum thread about the current bot issue? Been 2 weeks now since you read it. Kinda starting to feel like it got forgotten when other forum Threads do get frequent replies from Ankama

Got the following response from their side:
  • Hello! Rest assured, we did not forget you. Things have been a bit hectic as you can guess with Temporis, but we will answer this thread as soon as possible!

So hopefully, finally, some kind of response from Ankama. Whether it will be good or bad, that remain to be seen pensive

Just an idea for the Ankama Devs that maybe, just maybe, keep an eye on this Thread. What if you added some kind of homemade CAPTCHA when your formulas detect very suspicious activity? And until the 'Suspect' has solved it, he/she will be locked out from its account. Won't be that big of an issue for a regular player, and I bet majority will be glad to do something like that so that we can get rid of the bots that legit have ruined the economy of Echo now. More resources can then be put on encouraging players to keep playing, with different in-game server wide events, like back in the days smile)) Miss the days when Moderators would suddenly pop up and do something with the players. 
0 0

Casually selling 2,9m nuggets for 100k each. Been selling crazy amounts of nuggets for a week or more now. I wonder where the nuggets come from... Same with the guy selling a few million roses...

0 0

Maybe worth checking out dear Ankama team? rolleyes

0 0
Score : 27
Neglecting to deal with the bot issue
It's been several months now with almost nothing new from ankama regarding the bots destroying servers economy

Why would you rather focus on keeping temporis running, when your game is literally dying due to neglect from the moderator team? 

Nugget and roses price has crashed like crazy, and it doesn't seem to slow down. You realise there is an issue, with the changes made to lord crow, but how about doing something to actually stop the bots instead? There's currently a team of omega 460 bots running wild. Everything about this team screams massive botting, but You refuse to spend those 5 seconds it takes to determine, and deal with the problem. It doesn't take more than a minute of afk at frigost phoenix or brak zaap to spot a team of bots come running, yet nothing happens? quite embarrassing.. you much rather suspend innocent players, for reasons that are 100 percent made up
0 0
Score : 269

Hello again, a few minutes ago I stumbled upon a group of bots in frigost village zaap and decided to follow them. They all marched to the lonesome pine trails and started attacking mobs there. I observed them for a while and here are my observations: 
*All team members are 200 level sacriers without any items
*Fights take 12-15 seconds on average, can't spec the fights as usual
*Percs drop 100 pods worth of resources every minute.

Here is a screenshot with date:

0 0
Score : 2519

I encourage you to report any bot you see to a moderator via the Ankabox, as they likely won't be banned if they're not getting reported (Moderators are volunteers and also get a heavy load of messages - so can't be expected to be on patrol as they have a plethora of other player reports/enquiries to deal with). You only need the suspected bot's character name/nickname and the server they were seen on. I think you can get away with just a character name, so long as you provide the server.

Getting their names can be difficult when they move so quickly, so here's a couple tips;

• Show player names above their heads (Default key: P)
  • If the bots are standing still but stacked on top of each other, right click the stack to list all of their names.
  • Take a screenshot (Default key: F2). By default on a windows computer they are saved to C:\Users\[PCNAME]\Pictures. Note that a screenshot/video isn't required for bot reports.
  • If you do want to provide a nickname, do a /whois in-game of each name displayed on the screenshot. The nickname format is; Name#1234

Getting a bot banned isn't a quick process. Firstly because mods deal with more than just bot reports. There's also a frequent stream of bots about and not many moderators to deal with them. One moderator may manage multiple servers. Mod applications are open, but recruitment takes time and the right candidates need to be found/background checked to ensure they're right for the role.

The actual banning process isn't just a simple right click and ban. Each bot needs to be manually dealt with, with special tools to verify they are actually bots. Going by observation alone isn't a good idea as if by chance an innocent player did happen to be in the same vicinity, they risk getting wrongfully banned. Going based off charater name for example is bad because Dofus has a built-in name generator that comes up with some pretty 'shady' looking names. I saw suspicious accounts in-game I was adamant were profession/harvesting bots (based on numerous factors), but it turned out to be a Twitch streamer multiboxing and they were even live at the time. So no, it'd be unprofessional to ban just based on a gut feeling or what 'looks' like a bot: because even if there's a 99.99% chance they're bots -  there's still a 0.01% chance an innocent player is getting banned and everything they ever worked towards in the game ruined. Once a bot has been verified as being a bot, any accused account needs to be screened through Ankama support staff to ensure that the ban would be absolutely valid. This in itself can be what delays a ban happening the most, and may be even slower due to what's happening around the world at the moment.

Again, bots don't get banned if they don't get reported. So I encourage anyone who encounters a bot to report them no matter what.
0 -1
Score : 27

They are not accepting reports about bots, and you can't even private message the mods in anka box, they need to start the conversation

doesn't seem to let me add pic, but it's from ankama support site, when trying to report a bot
1 0
Score : 233

Edited out

1 -1
Score : 19

"Have done everything they can to stop bots" - Well, either you or the poster above is lying, because they say bot-banning is a voluntary job at Ankama.

0 0

Hey!

Hope everyone that still follow up on this Thread are doing good <3
No major developments past 2 weeks, what I know of, regarding the insane bot issue we have on Echo. Less treasure hunt bots perhaps, because Rose of Sands did go up in price slightly. And I have a feeling that the change they did to Lord Crow's Library (removing drops from the maze) did good, since nugget prices have slowly started going up again. Not 100 kamas each anymore, it's a whopping 120kamas now hah.(a third of what it has been on average past 2 years laugh). Guess it's just a temporary upswing though before they drop in price another 50%

Ankama worked on a reply to this Thread starting 4 weeks ago, if not 5 by now, but still no response. They did also reassure us a few weeks back that they haven't forgotten about us. They do reply to other Threads, but not to Threads regarding bot issues, which is interesting. (Not to hate on you Ankama staff, I still love the game and stuff, just spitting facts here <333). I still hope that we would get a proper ankama reply to this, what's really going on behind the scenes, why bots can run for a month (if not longer) even after reporting them, and so on.

Take care folks <3

0 0

You will. 
I did start gathering info a few weeks ago, as mentioned.

To be as transparent as always, the draft isn't finished, and we had to wait for some internal discussions to take place before I could respond. And then I went on holidays. 

But a lot of the things I will post tonight come from back then, as you did mention one of the changes that took place between the creation of these topics and today. 

The interesting aspect of answering other topics but not this one sooner is because we are several people, and when one topic is on hold for more details or information (even though nothing radical has truly changed overall), it is not a reason for other topics not to be addressed. 

PS -  We know there is no hate. Not to worry <3

The situation isn't just bad; it's verging on the unsalvageable now, too—and I'm not only talking about Echo. Other French servers are reporting the same level of frustration when it comes to reporting bots. Reports which, for the most part, either go unanswered or simply spat back from support, with a lack of bureaucracy cited as being the main reason for support's 'inability' to take actions against said bots.

A good rundown of what I'm talking about was given by a user in the French forum (toggling Google Translate on is a must for us non-French-speaking folk). It's interesting since the user cited multiple segments from Ankama's Terms and Conditions, on which Ankama itself is barely treading a fine line. As it stands, Dofus is at a crossroads and a decision has to be made: leave things as they are and risk abandoning the game to a long, painful death—or reevaluate anti-bot measures and act now to save what's left of the game?

Another point I'd like to touch on is the fact that, incredibly and unfathomably, this major thread is still yet to receive a reply from an official member of Ankama. Other threads are sometimes receiving attention, but not, arguably, the most important one of the lot. The French forum isn't any better in this regard.

Whether it is reporting bots or even creating forum threads regarding bots, players devote a lot of time and energy to improving a game they love so dearly. I'm sure that one or two Ankama employees can find the time to respect that. The Temporis excuse is both expiring and not good enough—not with the issue at hand.

0 0
Score : 260

why are you guys always blaming Ankama and not those who are inviting bots to the game?  Ankama is not making them, but the people who are buying illegal kamas are the main reason why bot´s even exist! Ankama is deleting thousands of bots every day with anti-bot measures (launcher is for example a wall they have to climb), the bots we see are maybe just 5-10% of them who make it over, so please stop whining, or adress the real bad guys here, thanks 

and no, picking one by one with am Mod if you have millions of them every day is not solving the issue, never did and never will!! the poster who is saying that that is helpfull has overslept last 12 years obviously.. that is not working anymore these days.. 

2 -1

Hi, everyone. As a brief heads up: 

There is a forum problem on our end when attempting to reply to a topic. As a quick fix, as it is already late in the evening, I merged two active bot forum threads, which seems to have bypassed the issue. 

I will create a ticket for our web team to look into it tomorrow and fix the error so it won't happen again.

I will respond to different bot-related comments/questions after dinner. 

Hello, everyone.

Apologies for the delay in submitting the reply. Murphy's law never fails.

We have discussed this topic often and openly over the years, be it via forum replies, Ankama Live streams, clarifications, in-game, etc. I understand some of our answers have not been to your liking. That is entirely OK, as the intention has never been to force a particular opinion but rather to share the information we can as openly as possible.

I will answer some of the points brought up in these two merged topics, and I hope this will restate some comments, most notably regarding moderators. Pardon the structure, but here we go!

Bots have been around forever and plague every MMORPG, regardless of its studio's size. As such, you are all aware that the bot situation is not limited to Echo nor DOFUS.

What is important to realize is that botting is a business. The individuals and companies that create them make a profit. As such, they are not discouraged by being banned: seeing their accounts banned is part of their process. When they do not already have it all automated, entire companies pay their workers to do nothing but create new bots, bypass new restrictions, and develop new phishing techniques, you name it, which is why it seems like they never stop multiplying.

The anti-bot fight is a vicious cycle:

• Bots cannot access the game.
  • Bots find an alternative way to bypass our restrictions.
  • We realize bots are back.
  • We study, analyze, and improve our tools.
  • We implement and deploy new techniques and strategies.
  • Bots cannot access the game again.
Rinse and repeat.

Although I sincerely understand that things seem simple, some of the suggestions proposed here would not generate the success rate one believes they would. I see many comments on this thread touching on the matter of how quickly botting and kama selling companies operate, and I don't have much to add to their statements because they are 100% correct: the bots you see are the ones that have been highly developed and bypass our latest anti-bot measures. To combat the issue on its massive scale, Ankama is continually working to prevent bot software from accessing the game.

There are two schools of thought in the community: some of you have been playing for some years and have seen the bot issue get worsen over time, having the feeling that bot numbers have increased and, as such, nothing is being done. On the other hand, we have old-school veteran players who have witnessed the evolution of botting in-game and have noticed periods of lull, which are usually followed by new waves of bots who are "better, faster, stronger" than their predecessors. 

Both experiences, albeit different, are understandable. It is just that those who have been around a little longer have followed the evolution of bots and the impact certain in-game measures (as well as account/access requirements) had on them. 

Moderators

Moderators play an active role in ensuring a fun, fair, positive, and safe game environment for our community, but their bot banning days are very different from what they once were.

Many moons ago, the role of a moderator was to be on the front lines of the anti-bot fight, with tools as rudimentary as the bots themselves. Moderators could sit in Astrub, by the class statues, snipe one account and see hundreds, even thousands of accounts fall under their banhammer. The bots outside the free-to-play areas were rare and were obliterated within minutes, allowing full server sweeps to take place in under an hour.

Over time, the Astrub bot nests were getting smaller, we saw a steady yet shy increase in bots around the World of Twelve, and they would bypass the detection commands available to Moderators. New tools were created, more protections were implemented, and the vicious cycle mentioned earlier in this message started getting shorter and shorter, even for moderators. Since then, it has become increasingly difficult for Moderators to dot the i's and cross the t's of the old-school bot detection processes.
Fixing the bot problem isn't a matter of spending a quick minute in-game and performing a couple of clicks because we wouldn't be having this conversation if it were.

The same goes for paid moderators. No matter how many would be recruited, it is a man vs machine issue. No amount of moderators will be a match for bot creation and automation. Bots do not need to be careful about their actions' side effects or consequences, but we do.
If a moderator has to intervene manually to ban a bot, it is already a failure in itself: our goal is to keep bots out of the game, to begin with. When a moderator bans a bot, we all know its place will be taken in a few hours by two others. It's an important task, but a never-ending story.

Moderators are not the primary bot enforcers as they might have once been eons ago. They have limited tools to target specific kinds of insidious bot activity, and the moderators do it remarkably well. But it is crucial for everyone to understand that no matter what, anti-bot initiatives and the responsibility for eliminating bot activity fall on the DOFUS team and not the moderators.

Attacking the moderators on bots is unjustified and precisely the kind of obfuscation that bot developers rely on to continue to sell their products. Drumming up this kind of campaign makes handling the in-game chat issues complex since misconceptions about their roles are perpetuated. All in all, it is a disservice to the community above all else.
We are incredibly grateful for the passion and dedication the moderation team has. They are truly unsung heroes.

Bot reports

We greatly and sincerely appreciate players that take the time to report bots but while the moderation team does its best to address as many reports as possible, you can only see your own reports (understandably so), and the community cannot see the actions taken. On the other side of the situation, the number of Ankabox messages received regarding bots or player-related problems that need moderating is staggering.

Sanctions are never discussed with anyone other than the account being sanctioned. We do not usually confirm nor deny a sanction was given nor provide any explanations when questioned on a report.

We cannot sanction an account on a simple report. If some bots - such as the bunch of Cras that follow each other in the Astrub fields are very easy to spot -, others are more and more sophisticated in imitating player behaviour, being able to pause during their harvesting to imitate a player behaviour, such as going AFK, answering PMs, etc. 

In-game report button

Community suggestions that are not implemented are not necessarily put aside because of difficulty. 

Managing player reports is exceptionally time-consuming with a low success rate: usually, it is because the report is incomplete, unclear, lacks in evidence, or – alas – is an attempt to get a real player in trouble.
An in-game reporting tool will not address the issue in itself. If we go with a tool that relies heavily on optimizations, the banning process would be AI-driven, not human-driven, which is a high risk when it comes to removing the right to play, and such tools should not be used lightly. So a human verification will always be needed.
Ankama takes sanctions very seriously, so whenever a permanent ban is to be given, there can be no shadow of a doubt. Do you know the stories of accidental bans and how awkward those are? Yeah, we don't like those either.

Having a report button would theoretically make it easier to report bots and is an interesting concept, but I'm not sure it would decrease bot numbers: the actual leg work required to review bot reports (which will be for the bots that pass through our system as they more evolved) will still be the same. Furthermore, players risk using it as an "easy report" for everything and anything, or – as it happens often - some could even have fun massively reporting actual players unfairly. 

For now, we have no plans to develop such a feature.

Ankama’s focus also includes bots

In Ankama, we don't all do the same work. The people who create Temporis are not the same who reply on the forums, those who handle the server maintenance, or the ones answering your Support ticket, nor are they the people that work on the anti-bot initiatives.

Creating new experiences for our players and the anti-bot initiative are not mutually exclusive.
Again, we have openly spoken about it before, and the information doesn’t change:
  1. Unfortunately, the bot war is not a war Ankama can win under the current conditions. We don't have the influence and the legal tools needed to shut down illegal sites hosted abroad. We continue to develop our tools internally, modernize them, and make them more effective in the hunt for bots. The only thing with the power to turn things around is the player-buyer dynamic.
  2. We do not share details on what we do specifically against bots.
  3. Accusations of profiting financially from bots are disappointing because they reveal a lack of understanding of the actual situation, despite several explanations given over the years, akin to wild accusations regarding “innocent players” that are sanctioned for made-up reasons while bots remain untouched. It makes no logical or financial sense for us as a company to want to have and keep bots on our servers.

All this to say...

We want the game to be healthy and enjoyable for all of you, and we want you to have no reason to leave us, ever. These harmful and toxic behaviours, such as phishing, scamming, botting, you name it, drive you away from us, and every lost player is a heartbreak. The best way to fight bots is to ensure they never come into the game. Either through technological means like the ones we deploy regularly or through the actions of players who refuse to buy kamas from the very people who are degrading their game experience by flooding it with bots.
If making a bot becomes complicated because of the technology, and unprofitable because no one buys kamas from illegal sites, the problem solves itself.

We are on the same side. <3

PS - If I were to share the details of our initiatives and tools, I would show our hand to the botting folk. With prying eyes and ears, we cannot bring you behind the curtain to see all that we do to fight bots.
While I am also not at liberty right now to share any bot banning figures with you either, as Logan mentioned in the latest Ankama live stream with the KTA, it might be time for us to do an official cross-community communication on Bots.
I do not have a date for you, but we have started working on it, and we will plan its publication once everyone is back in the office after the summer holidays.

Thank you for this. This is a very enlightening outlook of what the war against bots actually looks like.

The only wrinkle I find with your outlook on the situation is that bots have been crippling a specific location (Lord Crow's dungeon on Echo, for example—which was the catalyst of this discussion) for months on end, yet the inaction from Ankama's side has allowed these specific bots to proliferate and rampage an entire area and its resources therein.

What I find unforgivable isn't that bots exist; it is that areas crippled by bots can go untouched for months in spite of player reports drawing attention to the situation. While I'm sure that moderators have their hands full, taking a moment to examine the situation and begin untangling it isn't asking for too much, especially in light of bots' harm on the in-game economy and overall player experience.

Nevertheless, it's good to finally have official feedback to this, so thank you.

1 0

mendezstyle#6490|2022-08-11 08:28:08
Thank you for this. This is a very enlightening outlook of what the war against bots actually looks like.

The only wrinkle I find with your outlook on the situation is that bots have been crippling a specific location (Lord Crow's dungeon on Echo, for example—which was the catalyst of this discussion) for months on end, yet the inaction from Ankama's side has allowed these specific bots to proliferate and rampage an entire area and its resources therein.

What I find unforgivable isn't that bots exist; it is that areas crippled by bots can go untouched for months in spite of player reports drawing attention to the situation. While I'm sure that moderators have their hands full, taking a moment to examine the situation and begin untangling it isn't asking for too much, especially in light of bots' harm on the in-game economy and overall player experience.

Nevertheless, it's good to finally have official feedback to this, so thank you.

mendezstyle#6490|2022-08-11 10:14:14
In no segment of my post did I argue for Ankama to reveal their anti-bot measures. I simply argued for action to be taken in a semi-drastic way on account of bots' harm to the in-game community, especially when players have been reporting the issue for months on end.

We've been answering questions on bots and moderators repeatedly over the years. The information I give is not new (perhaps the moderation part needed more clarity this time around); I simply did a recap of different topics that were brought together under one topic. 

The fact that I did not address the Lord Crow situation is not a wrinkle in my outlook nor a lapse in my reply. It was a choice. I genuinely thought it was more beneficial to write 1800-ish words with the different points, when I could have replied: 

"The Lord Crow situation is being looked into. We cannot discuss it further.
We will not create an in-game report button. We are not ignoring bots. Our bot detection system isn't dogshit as you call it: it's just that bots evolve. Moderators are active. "

Had I done that, nobody would have been satisfied. More questions would have been asked (understandably so).

I believe that the essay would provide sufficient explanations and info to give a bit of an understanding of how things are not as straightforward and simple without giving anything away, whilst reassuring you that we are in it together.

You did not ask for me to reveal anything, and I genuinely believe it was not your intention to do so anyway. The thing is, you seem to have made assumptions based on the fact that I provided no information: because I didn't say anything about the Lord Crow bots, then nothing was done for months, and mods could have taken a moment to examine the situation and start to do something.

I only want you to consider the following question: Who said nothing was done - no action was taken, or that mods didn't examine the situation? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I have the evidence; I just cannot share it. 

I understand you - like others - want to see them gone and while they still are around, the problem isn't resolved - which is entirely correct, and we are in agreement with you.
However, when you speak of "inaction"/"action, " you are asking for visible proof that we are doing something about the problem you reported, as saying that bots are not ignored doesn't seem enough to appease. 
Is it wrong to contribute towards improving our server, getting rid of bots, and wanting to know it served a purpose, be kept in the loop, and seeing with our own eyes the results? Absolutely not, on the contrary. We are a community and we work together. We celebrate together. 

The problem, though? What you see, they see. If we tell the community we're investigating/testing/trolling/changing bot passwords to "Gu3s§Wh0sGett!ngPwneD", they also get the memo. sad

Your arguments are more than fair, and I completely understand where you're coming from. From the community's vantage, however, how can we know that the situation was being handled without official confirmation? I disagree that asking for confirmation (that the problem is being tackled) is synonymous with wanting real and concrete proof of action.

A simple "It's being handled" post from Ankama's side would have been more than enough to quench our thirst for an official voice about the bot issue in Lord Crow, especially as the weeks went by without any sign of official input. Does this mean that your in-depth explanation isn't appreciated? Of course not.

In any case, your post has clarified what needed to be clarified, so I won't waste more of your time with futile back-and-forths.

0 0

[Ankama
DOFUS|2022-08-11 21:03:48"]The best way to answer your question as to what is best regarding mods and bots, is to let Fiora address it directly. <3

Bringing this from the replies to the top level to follow up~

First thing's first, for those of you who may not be familiar with me, I've been a moderator since December 2010 and I am the senior English moderator Dofus PC and Dofus Touch.

Manaia comprehensively covered the current state of play, so I'll mostly talk about what we do and how you can help us effectively. But before I do, I want to revisit the cat and mouse cycle of Ankama's developing of antibot measures, and the bot developers' countermeasures to bypass those restrictions. You should keep in mind that, even though the cycle repeats itself, the work done in prior iterations doesn't just get wiped away because bots are able to bypass the new measures. In fact, every time Ankama designs a new antibot measure, it more or less layers on top of the many other things they've done to shut the gates.

You know how hand sanitizer will often be advertised with language like "kills 99.9% of germs" ? Ankama's anti-bot measures are the hand sanitizer, and the bots you are noticing personally are some of the 0.1% of germs that made it through. However, Ankama doesn't just use hand sanitizer and please bear with me I have just one more metaphor.
They disinfect surfaces as well! Meaning, there are additional antibot measures targeting those breakthrough bots too.

Back to what you can do to help us with these particularly exceptional bots, the 0.01%... What we are most interested in as moderators is specific, individual bot accounts, that you see for an extended period of time. As in, the same account/character, and not the series of different accounts that take up the route after their predecessors are axed. What you would be doing here is helping us to identify new or otherwise insidious bot behaviors, so that we can help the devs to improve their antibot tools.

No matter how much monitoring we do, or Ankama does, it always ends up that players are the first to notice new botting patterns and behaviors. Your vigilance does help us in the long run. As such, we also greatly appreciate reports that give us more insights into what bots might be doing. Like, what exactly are they farming? What might they be selling or crafting? We'll take whatever intel you can give us and run with it.

While I'm here, I also want to quickly touch on some other moderation issues. You all can be quite helpful when it comes to the other items within our scope.

If you witness player misconduct in the chats in-game, we are able to process those reports as long as we have a valid screenshot of the offense. Ankama requires screenshots with certain conditions met, in order to be able to apply a sanction to someone's account. That's a serious step, so they need the receipts. Here's a step-by-step to make sure your screenshot is good:
  • When you see inappropriate messages in the chat, get the player's /whois info into the chat. Use the chat command /whois playername to generate a line with their account nickname, and a definitive timestamp (which is distinct from the built-in simple message timestamps).
  • Take a screenshot.
  • DO NOT censor any irrelevant messages, crop the image, or make ANY edits.
  • Save the image, upload it to an image host like Imgur, and send the direct link to the image to a moderator via Ankabox.

Importantly, we need the offending message and /whois plus timestamp in the same image. This may mean taking multiple screenshots. Yes, I know. But understand that, with valid screenshots, we are able to take action sooner rather than later and potentially remove a toxic element from the community. The extra effort is worth the time.

In general, if you have any questions specifically for me on moderation, or maybe some bot questions that I might be able to field, feel free to ask here in the replies or via Ankabox if you’d prefer. Over the years, we've had fewer opportunities for dialogue, so don't be shy.
Score : 10

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, and i'll try keep this as ambiguous as possible to avoid naming people. But Echo has a clear problem in which the main alliance (and two others) are actively endorsing the use of bots to generate nuggets within their prisms. You will often see merchants around amakna village with a huge amount of nuggets. 

Perhaps something you should look into.

2 0
Score : 2519

I understand that an in-game report feature isn't a good idea (maybe it's a false memory but I think I recall there was an unusable/broken in-game report chat command pre 2.0 sometime). I could imagine there would be bots dedicated to overloading the system with false reports in order to clog it up so other bots are less likely to be banned. I think however that it should be slightly easier for players to report via the Ankabox as simply the effort of manually going to the Dofus website can be enough to deter someone from bothering. Even if a report button was introduced in-game, but it simply gives you a link in the chat or a popup window that directs you out of game to the Ankabox (and maybe gives a few brief tips on doing a /whois, not editing screenies, and the current moderators), or even a button in the launcher (there is one that leads to the forums which is as good as it gets for now). False reports and reports that don't meet the correct criteria are going to happen regardless of how players are able to report, but putting the report feature as far away from in-game as possible has the potential side effect of making authentic reports less likely to occur too - so I believe making it even slightly more accessible even if the actual method of reporting doesn't change would benefit the community and the game as a whole.

2 0
Respond to this thread