FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Language problem on internation servers

By WunderWelpe#4883 - SUBSCRIBER - October 31, 2022, 07:48:38
AnkaTracker

Hello everyone,

As you can read in the title it´s about the language problem on international servers again.
Before Echo was merged with 3 hispanic servers american/british/german/dutch and many other people from different countries were able to communicate on every chat through the english language.
Since the merge happened we are being blocked out by a huge amount of hispanic people flooding every single channel with spanish/portugese/italian.
All we get from the mods is "go to the community server for your requested language".. 
Guess whats unavailable in the TalKasha server for a long time already.
Isn´t a international server called international for the reason of having multiple nations meet at one place and talk throughout using a language that everyone speaks?? 
As you can see in my text my english is far from perfect but even I´ve managed to improve it a bit so everyone on Echo was easily able to atleast understand me.
Am I supposed to learn spanish now to enjoy my game? All I can use is my guild chat as we are speaking english. 
It was requested multiple times already on other threads that a auto-translate is being brought into this. 
Even smaller mobile games have that implemented already. 
Of course it will lead to some problems in terms of translation as not every word is being translated 100% correctly. 
BUT..
We would be able to communicate with the others and not being blocked out of every chat like trade, recruit and so on.. 

Curious on your response ankama.. 
We´ll see what happens.

7 -3
First Ankama intervention

Hello WunderWelpe,

We disagree with the idea that the international server should have a required language. That being said, we do invite players to use the community channels to talk to people in their preferred language.

The team is currently aware of the community channels issue on TalKasha and is investigating to fix it.

We thank you for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

See message in context
Reactions 30
Score : 2449

I've agreed with another post sharing the same sentiment, and I'll agree with this one. The server has become a mostly Spanish-speaking one, with some vestiges of the English server sinking at the bottom—hardly an 'international' server, by definition.

The problem now is that I see no real potential solution. Adding an auto translator would help, but I wouldn't imagine the ETA on such a feature. Nevertheless, if Ankama wants TalKasha to truly be an international server, it has to consider such a solution.

As a side note, I've noticed that this topic really hits a nerve. Spanish speakers obviously wouldn't want anything to change, whereas people who speak both (English and Spanish) are fine regardless of the situation. I think it's important for people to have some compassion for others and truly consider the huge challenge English speakers are facing at the moment—and this is coming from someone who understands Spanish.

8 0
Score : 320

mendezstyle#6490|2022-10-31 07:06:55

As a side note, I've noticed that this topic really hits a nerve. Spanish speakers obviously wouldn't want anything to change, whereas people who speak both (English and Spanish) are fine regardless of the situation. I think it's important for people to have some compassion for others and truly consider the huge challenge English speakers are facing at the moment—and this is coming from someone who understands Spanish.

I´m not in the position to understand spanish and it makes things like trading and finding people for dungeons or seeking any kind of help really awfull. 
I don´t mind people speaking the langauge they can speak best. But as soon as I type something in english my dms flood with 5-10 spanish messages (of which 2-4 are bots but thats another topic ankama doesn´t take care off). 
If I ask them to speak to me in english most of the time they throw spanish insults back which I know cause i run them through google translate on another monitor.. 
Is this the kind of morpg you want to play? 
I don´t think so.
It comes to the point where I have to wait for guild members to come online and help me as the spanish speakers simply ignore or even don´t understand me. 
Thats far from the heartwarming multiplayer experience I´ve had on echo and it´s sad for me to see such a rapid downfall of random people jumping in on any kind of task you have to fulfill.
6 0
Score : 5105
Well, I do speak to some degree some Spanish, but by all means I have NO CLUE / ZERO KNOWLEDGE of Dofus Spanish therms/ names/ mobs/ dungs/ items/ consumables/ resources/ etc etc etc, which makes it kindof complicated even for me to play nowadays...

I don't get it:
If a merge was sooooooo sooooooooo soooooooooooooooo imperious, why not merge Romanic langieges together, and Germanic languages together?
Now we just have a sortof Babel Tower ig ... Shame, really ...

4 0

Hello WunderWelpe,

We disagree with the idea that the international server should have a required language. That being said, we do invite players to use the community channels to talk to people in their preferred language.

The team is currently aware of the community channels issue on TalKasha and is investigating to fix it.

Score : 7856

bohemia#2044|2022-10-31 03:40:26
I don't get it:
If a merge was sooooooo sooooooooo soooooooooooooooo imperious, why not merge Romanic langieges together, and Germanic languages together?
Now we just have a sortof Babel Tower ig ... Shame, really ...

What? This was exactly what the merge did. Spanish and Portuguese are both romance languages. The merger brought them together along with Italian which was already on our server along with a blend of others. Plus, you know, the many other languages that always existed on Echo and its predecessors such as French.
​​​​​​
0 0
A ) By Romanic, I meant, Latin, mb, I was tired and sleepy at the moment of post; got confused: Italy >>> Rome >>> Romanic/// it is Latin instead, mb, agian (the confusion came from similar names in one of the languages I speak).

Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, RomanianCatalanRomansh and other Romance languages are direct descendants of Latin. There are also many Latin borrowings in English and Albanian, as well as a few in German, DutchNorwegianDanish and Swedish. Latin is still spoken in Vatican City, a city-state situated in Rome that is the seat of the Catholic Church.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin
B ) Germanic Languages: English, German, Dutch, Sweedish, etc; The Germanic languages are a branch of the Indo-European language family spoken natively by a population of about 515 million people mainly in EuropeNorth AmericaOceania and Southern Africa

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_languages

C) Mixing the 2 branches, on a small server, wasn't the most brilliant idea, I'd say ...
4 0
Score : 12626

Its been nearly a month since the servers merge to Tal Kasha and still there is no fix for the missing Community chat/channels section - but then saying that it was broken on Echo for quite a while before the server merge.

My main reason for stepping away from the game for a while was because if you try and use any of the channels or try to reply to private messages not in your language, trying to decipher going back and forth with google translate - explaining you dont speak that language and using google translate to help communicate you get met with ridicule, insults and sometimes down right aggression. So basically I put in the work to meet the needs of their language and get abused for it. Not a good head or game space to be in.

Then we get openly ridiculed and insulted in the Twitch live stream chat messages when trying to figure out what is going on because the only snippet of English used was around 2 minutes then #back to French. Bit of an insult and slap in the face for non-French speaking/understanding players. At one point the stream went up to nearly 19k viewers, no way you can say there werent us international players in there. Whilst many of us appreciate that Ankama didnt want to extend the 3h 10 minute stream by going back and forth between languages, did they subtitle pre-recorded videos shown - no, have Ankama re-released the live stream with sub-titles? (which there are multiple free to use excellently rated plug-ins they could use) Nope
But even with older live streams that did do #and now in English/#back to French there was SO much left out of these "summaries", as evidenced by other players spending months to directly translate and produce subtitles for as little as 1 third of an Ankama live stream. 
So if you arent French speaking/understanding you're left in the dust, and being told "jUsT lEaRn FrEnCh" (to put it politely, because some were not so polite when saying it) is not always the answer, some people have spent a lot of money and time to try and it doesnt always work that way.

Ankama are priding themselves on being inclusive, yet to be inclusive you must accommodate ALL languages, and sadly once again, and again and again it is a big issue that we get promises of fixes that never show up. The french still get their own servers, and the rest of the world gets lumped together with no way of breaking down the language barrier. It always has and will continue to be a us vs them scenario sadly.

11 0
Score : 477

Here's the top 5 of most spoken languages in the world, a sum of total speakers, incl second language:

1. English   1,132 mil
2. Mandarin Chinese  1,117 mil
3. Hindi  615 mil
4. Spanish  534 mil
5. French  280 mil

To Ankama;
Imagine a server merge of those 280 mil French speakers with 1,117 mil Mandarin Chinese speakers.

One international server Echo is merged with 3 Spanisch/Portuguese servers, creating a language imbalance. The server distrubution choices based on communities and number of players at peak hours. The language branches should also have been taken into consideration.
TalKasha has become an 'Spanish' or 'Romance language branch' server, I would not label it as international. The server will see a quick decline of players who face difficulties overcoming the language barriers. A new balance and/or solution needs to be found.

6 -1
Just as a side note, imagine AvA, as broken as it is and has been for years, on Tk now ... while Latin languages clearly dominate on it atm.

Please, don't get me wrong, I really love, for example, both English and Spanish.
I am just pointing put that an English alli, as big and powerful as it were, has zero to lil lil lil chance of ever being not the dominating alli on Tk, but even among those playing a major role on it ...
2 0

[Ankama]DOFUS|2022-10-31 14:10:34
Hello WunderWelpe,

I didn´t mean to have a required language for a server. But isn´t it weird, that many people from different countries are unable to use "PUBLIC" channels cause it´s flooded with spanish/portugese?
Is that the thing you wanted as result from the merge? 
And saying you "invite players to use the community channels" is a bit of a middlefinger to me. 
1) You say there is no required language but you say we can talk in our preferred language on the channels so that means the public ones should be used so anyone can understand everyone?
2) We (english speaking people) would probably use that and combine the input from ALL THE SPANISH FLOODED PUBLIC ONES in the english one IF IT WOULD WORK!?

Get yourself together and come up with a real Idea how to fix thing instead of posting trivial answeres on here.

Like I said in the beginning.
TRANSALTORS can be implemented.

Another idea is having to choose public servers in preferred languages aswell like the community channels!? 

[Ankama]DOFUS|2022-10-31 14:10:34

And saying that you are "currently aware" probably means that you know the community channel was already broken back on Echo..

Don´t thank me for my paitience cause I´m literally running out of it.
And any kind understanding for it has been lost after the "big update" 2.64 on echo.

Check the comments on your Twitter posts about updates and everything. You´ll see nothing but people who get more and more angry about what you do. 
7 -1
Score : 199

Well said WunderWelpe. As a premium member that has been on this game for a long time, I think its important to just be open about how you want to be inclusive. We all know this is a French game, and you want to look like you are attempting to bring in all other language speaking people into it. Right now that is not the case. That's really unfortunate. As you figure out how to work on being more inclusive with the international servers, please restore the community chat so at the very least this part of the heat will go away while you come up with a more permanent solution. Thank you.

6 0
Score : 279

Remember when trying to save a bit of money by collapsing multiple servers into one ended up costing you more than maintaining the original servers...... DO YA? Stop It all ready!!

6 0

Hello,

This decision to merge all the international servers together came after several years of planning and was thoroughly researched. We wanted a way for players of all the international communities to be able to interact as one big community, as a way to revitalize the economy and renew the sense of community all players feel towards their DOFUS server.

We don't think that servers or communities should be separated by language barriers anymore. This is also what led to our decision to remove community restrictions to allow players to simply select whatever server they want to play on. The community channels will always exist if you wish to communicate with players in your preferred language.

We are aware that this decision might not please everyone, as with all decisions we make. But we hope that with time, our vision becomes clearer to you and you learn to enjoy this new community on DOFUS!

Score : 279

I do hope that you realize that the community that you are alienating are your longest attending premium players. The environment that the game is presenting based on your thoroughly researched decision is one of non-inclusion being driven by communities that generally prefer to not even try and speak the common language between all of the international servers. The community selection process that you tout doesn't work because anyone can access any of those communities and spam the chat base, which is what is happening in the English community. If you doubt this, go sit and watch, with a character that can't identify you as a moderator.

This isn't a bad idea overall, but you have created a toxic environment that is going to eventually begin to push your long-term loyal player base away from your platform. And it actually bothers me that you would not take into consideration the contributions that these players have made to the international community over the years as you plan on making this move.

I understand and agree with the intent of your action, but I have minimized my play time since you combined these international servers. You can go and look at my online time. I just don't get any enjoyment out of this game, and this is primarily based on my not being able to access the English community channel without being overwhelmed by other languages.

7 0
Score : 12626

[Ankama]DOFUS|2022-11-03 16:25:31
Hello,

This decision to merge all the international servers together came after several years of planning and was thoroughly researched. We wanted a way for players of all the international communities to be able to interact as one big community, as a way to revitalize the economy and renew the sense of community all players feel towards their DOFUS server.

We don't think that servers or communities should be separated by language barriers anymore. This is also what led to our decision to remove community restrictions to allow players to simply select whatever server they want to play on. The community channels will always exist if you wish to communicate with players in your preferred language.

We are aware that this decision might not please everyone, as with all decisions we make. But we hope that with time, our vision becomes clearer to you and you learn to enjoy this new community on DOFUS!

Simply opening up previous restricted servers to all players isnt going to assist in the forever effect of that the language barriers are getting stronger and wider. There is NO QUICK, CLEAR, CONCISE WAY TO COMMUNICATE if youre constantly switching between the game and Google Translate in order to perform the most simplest of tasks, and completely forget about it in any fight scenario because there isnt time (and most likely will result in those who youve been trying to communicate with in THEIR language just team kills you anyway then boots you from the group, which if youre in a dungeon - well youre pretty much screwed and most likely lost out on a lot of kamas if you paid for a "service")

Opening up all servers to everyone is not being inclusive. In fact it does the opposite and relegates those who dont speak the "mother tongue" of the "original" server to the sidelines especially when the /c chat is gone.

And yes telling us to just use the community channels is a kick in the teeth because for the life of me I no longer see the /c channel available and havent for a very very long time - predating the server merge. Its not an option to choose like it used to be -way back when- so how can we use it?  You cant keep telling us to use the community channels when they simply arent there, and you Ankama have known it has been missing for a very long time. Publicly there have been posts asking where the /c channel had gone as far back as June. No amount of clearing the cache/uninstalling-reinstalling blah blah blah brings it back so its certainly not an issue from my end.

NO PLAYER NAMES ARE SHOWN IN THIS PICTURE SO IT DOES NOT GO AGAINST THE ToS/ToU
9 -1
Score : 477

[Ankama]DOFUS|2022-11-03 16:25:31
Hello,

Have you logged into the new servers yourself the past weeks?
THERE ARE NO COMMUNITY CHANNELS AVAILABLE TO USE AT THE MOMENT !!!!
and thus isolating a lot of players who do not speak Spanish on TalKasha.
Please make sure those channels are available ASAP
7 0

I understand. The team is aware of this issue and is working on bringing back the community channels as soon as possible.

[Ankama]DOFUS|2022-11-03 15:25:31

We don't think that servers or communities should be separated by language barriers anymore.

Wow.. So instead of having everyone speak english cause that would maybe create a barricade.. You guys let the spanish speakers create a barricade and block us non spanish people out of public channels.. Great fckn work. Have you taken a closer look on the TalKasha server lately? Checked the public channels? 
Don`t think so otherwise this rubbish sentence wouldn´t exist. 
The fact that you guys don´t want anyone to feel left out sounds legit first. 
But the people from echo who aren´t spanish natives or even don´t speak spanish at all ARE standing infront of this barricade... 
What a sht show. This is pissing me off..

We wanted a way for players of all the international communities to be able to interact as one big community, as a way to revitalize the economy and renew the sense of community all players feel towards their DOFUS server.

Lie number 1. 
You take the bigger crowd in focus so you get more money through their subsriptions. You don´t care about the smaller crowds money cause the spanish people will make up for us.

The community channels will always exist if you wish to communicate with players in your preferred language.

Lie number 2

as Angelsnow and fiona already explained.

​​​​​​​

How about no.

Your vison is a clear as the way to the toilet in a messy´s appartment.
8 -1
Score : 132

A lot of players are starting to quit the game because it's all Spanish now, They've got all the channels muted, you said a fix would be deployed in the week after October 13th. We're nearly a month further now and still no fix, but still "investigating". What kind of problem makes 1 specific channel disappear that takes upwards of a month to fix?

What makes your "vision" so inclusive that you had to alienate your entire English community?
How did "We wanted a way for players of all the international communities to be able to interact as one big community, as a way to revitalize the economy and renew the sense of community all players feel towards their DOFUS server." work out for you when the English community cannot even interact on the server without using Google Translate?

How does We don't think that servers or communities should be separated by language barriers anymore. work when you alienate the English community making it so they cannot speak English, the most spoken Language in the world?

We are left with two options at the moment.

• We are forced to learn Spanish because the Spanish sure don't put in any effort to learn English.
  • We mute the /r /b /a channels and sometimes even the general chat so we don't get flooded by Spanish speakers dominating the server  - taking the "massively multiplayer" kinda out of the game.

Your "research" concluded in what, exactly? How were you able to predict that merging 3 Spanish servers with 1 English (" International ") server would not cause a huge rift in the language? How did you not foresee this coming? What made you think the spoken language on the new server was going to be anything but Spanish? 

This is honestly so baffling how this company didn't think this through at all, and have the guts to call it "Healthy" for a MMORPG.

Many players are quitting and losing patience, the game is no longer fun because of the Spanish language being dominated on the server with no way for us to communicate. 

Telling us to use /c is telling us to pound sand, really, when it has been missing for nearly a month. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 
14 -1

110% same mind here.

4 0
Score : 139

I have been playing this game for around 18 years now and what you have done here now is the worse thing you could have done IMO. Like with all the conversation above you driving away good paying players who just can't be bothered to listen to the complete crap coming out of your mouths. At one point all the international servers no matter where you came from Had to speak primarily English and that was one of your rules, Now you saying forget that rule and speak Spanish it's getting beyond a joke. And you also say we choose what server we want well here is some news for you people on echo had no choice on what server we wanted to be on as we got merged into Talkasha. Its getting closer and closer for me to go and pay my money to someone else as this wont ever get sorted as Ankama has made there minds up that they are right and all us English speaking people are wrong.

7 0

Not only that.. It was a rule not to say "Buy everything 25% off market prices".. Seeing that 5 times in 10 minutes written in.. GUESS WHAT SPANISH!
Aswell as all the spanish AND french who SELL KAMAS IN PUBLIC CHANNELS..
This merge was the biggest shitshow I´ve ever seen devs of a MMO pull off..
You said "fuck our rules let them do what they want"

4 -2
Score : -15

Are we the baddies? I thought the French were.

3 -5
Heyo! How's you?
Hola! Que tal?

Naaaa, we aint saying you're the bad guys.
We're just saying, that two branches of languages have been brought together on a server, one happening to have some majority; and since the branches are sooo different, that creates loads of confusion/ misunderstanding/ frustration even/ annoyingness (if there is such word ... but the feeling is surely ig) among players.

We have to stay united, maybe we can get an unmerge, who knows, sooner or later?
Like, Latin vs Germanic servers, 1 e.a., for marshmelow's sake, it can't be that hard to have that!

Or maybe Dofus.3 will respect that, and don't mix water and fire and wind and earth and rock, all together, in same pot ... while hoping for expenses cuts and big revenues ...

Anyway, I wish ya all a happy day, stay calm waiting during maintenance ... and a good breakfast, no matter where you are in the world and/ or what language/s do you speak! We are all alike, in the end! Color of skin, nor (first) language/s matter! Nor "our" in game pixels!
But yeah, eat well for breakfast, they say it is the most important meal of the day. Only the marshmallow knows what "surprises" this gaming company has in store for us, for today!

2 0
Score : 132

I hope Ankama is happy with their new Spanish-speaking server because many English players have quit playing this game because of this decision. 

This game has become like a stand-up comedian trying their hardest to make the audience laugh with some silly jokes because he laughs at his own jokes when at home in front of the mirror, except nobody in the audience is laughing at the joke. Just feeling sad for the comedian. 

It's a shame to see the game that I've played since my early teens (I'm now 28, I started playing this game when I was like 14 or 15) has become the way it is now. 

Matter of fact, the French have their very own server because of their population, so why can't the Spanish have the same thing? I am quite curious how Ankama would react if the Japanese started to flood the French servers and completely dominate the language. Would they still say "We don't think French should be the language spoken" or hastily merge the two separately? 

Also bumping this thread so it doesn't get buried in the other posts and it keeps the attention it needs. excl

Once again, 

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. 

3 -1
Respond to this thread