FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[News] [Contest] Gobbowl World Cup

By #[Izmar] - ADMIN - June 08, 2010, 11:15:04
DevTracker Announcements
Reactions 221
Score : 115

Technically, shouldn't Riaorrye's story, TheLeafz song/story and Starcluster's story be excluded? They were all entered after 9 AM GMT+1... and you shouldn't make exceptions with rules, or else many people (including me) woulda wrote more than 500 words. Also, i have nothing against the three people, but they DID enter after the deadline.

Edit > I meant that if he let those three stories be entered, they would be an exception to the deadline, and if he lets 3 people break the rules, everyone else should be allowed.

0 0
Score : 2803

I don't see it as an exception to a rule - I see it as a flaw in the word count tool, coupled with the fact that it doesn't seem to be an "official rule" to use www.wordcounttool (it seems more like a recommendation, not a mandatory requirement). If you look at my words that contain apostrophes, such as Amanka's, they are all technically single words, not double words. I have more than 7 examples of these in total and there is no reason why the tool should count it as an excess of words.

Still, I would love to know what Izmar thinks on this one.

Chocobo-Knights|2010-06-16 13:54:00
Technically, shouldn't Riaorrye's story, TheLeafz song/story and Starcluster's story be excluded? They were all entered after 9 AM GMT+1... and you shouldn't make exceptions with rules, or else many people (including me) woulda wrote more than 500 words.

0 0
Score : 2803

Thank you for clarifying, and I'm sorry I misunderstood what you said.

:3

Chocobo-Knights|2010-06-16 13:54:00
Edit > I meant that if he let those three stories be entered, they would be an exception to the deadline, and if he lets 3 people break the rules, everyone else should be allowed.

0 0
Score : 221
Misery|2010-06-15 12:42:00
Woo thank you Radiant C.

That's what I was trying to point out in a previous post of mine, that by original they mean an "out of the box" idea not the first person to do it ;O

except in the cases that your idea was original and the first person to post it but none the less~

I mentioned it discreitly before but someone *cough* I think you know who~ Didnt pick it up ;O

if u think so ok but i think u did the same thing in a previous post >.> and i didnt say exactly copied me but they could make it a lil different if they wanted more chances...
0 0
Score : 221

and for gods sake please let the judges find out which is a bright idea and which is not

0 0
Score : 3344
Izmar|2010-06-08 10:15:00
and must be submitted on the special thread created on the official forums between June 8th, 2010 and 9 AM GMT+1 June 16th, 2010.

Anyone know what is going on with the contest?
0 0

I've officially closed the submissions thread for this event. I apologize for the oversight, there is an evil flu that is trying to take over my lungs today (have you ever seen a ball of fire sneeze? I'm told it's rather magnificent, but I always have my eyes closed when it happens), so I wasn't able to close the thread at 9 AM. Rather than close it at 11:23 or some weird random time, I left it open until 5 PM.

However, now submissions are over!! Yay!! The judges are starting up their judgment synapses and we'll announce the winners some time next week! I hope no one dies from suspense, some of you have me a little worried... =)

Thanks to all our great fan authors who submitted their stories. We have a different creative event getting ready to start by the end of this week (if I don't die of the flu). Stay alert! =)

Aww... i'm on holiday then ._.

0 0
Score : 1938

Izmar, you'll live ;D I know you will.
Thanks for the info!

0 0
Score : 1436
Izmar|2010-06-16 17:32:00
I've officially closed the submissions thread for this event. I apologize for the oversight, there is an evil flu that is trying to take over my lungs today (have you ever seen a ball of fire sneeze? I'm told it's rather magnificent, but I always have my eyes closed when it happens), so I wasn't able to close the thread at 9 AM. Rather than close it at 11:23 or some weird random time, I left it open until 5 PM.

However, now submissions are over!! Yay!! The judges are starting up their judgment synapses and we'll announce the winners some time next week! I hope no one dies from suspense, some of you have me a little worried... =)

Thanks to all our great fan authors who submitted their stories. We have a different creative event getting ready to start by the end of this week (if I don't die of the flu). Stay alert! =)

So the entries that were posted after the deadline still count? This seems very unfair as those who posted after the deadline have had more time to work on their entries than those who were aiming for the actual deadline. The date at which each post was made is still recorded, it seems sensible to simply discard all those posts whose post date is after 9AM.
0 0
Elusial|2010-06-16 17:44:00
Ankama reserves the right, if circumstances dictate it, to shorten, extend, modify or cancel the game herein. The company will not be held liable as a result.

If anyone really thinks that three more stories in a contest that already has over 100 entries will substantially harm their chances of winning, then I know of some statistics courses they might need to attend.
Score : 3344
Izmar|2010-06-16 17:51:00
If anyone really thinks that three more stories in a contest that already has over 100 entries will substantially harm their chances of winning

Doesn't bother me I just hope the judges have a sense of humour lol
0 0
Score : 2724

Pff, waiting 'till the 23rd for the Dutch forum to close wink

-----------------------------------------
[Dar]~Saturnus.

0 0
Score : 63

They better grade it harshly by the rules because after i wrote mine i edited it to fit under 500 words and that took 4 hours >.< time i hope does not go in vain

0 0
Score : 1436
Izmar|2010-06-16 17:51:00
If anyone really thinks that three more stories in a contest that already has over 100 entries will substantially harm their chances of winning, then I know of some statistics courses they might need to attend.

This is, of course, assuming that every entry has the same chance of winning, which would make the competition a lottery - something which I believe it is not. The fact is that the addition of one stunningly good entry has much more of a detrimental effect on your chances of winning than the addition of a mediocre one.

I am not commenting on the quality of the late entries in any way here, I am merely voicing my opinion in the general sense.
0 0

Any idea on how long it will take to decide the winners? Not pushing you or anything, just need to know if i'm in Spain when it's announced. tongue

0 0
Score : 63
Izmar|2010-06-16 16:51:00
Sorry, but I have to pull out the "high and mighty" card here. The rules state that Ankama has the right to change the length of the contest if circumstances dictate. A legitimate illness by an employee running the contest is certainly an appropriate circumstance.

What if those 3 essays place first second and third XD and you were considered 4th O.o
0 0
Score : 481

Some time NEXT WEEK!?

*dies of suspense*

p.s. get well soon, Izmar!

0 0
Score : 915

As the goalposts regarding the deadline have changed (excuse the pun!) and all entries received in the thread will now be allowed entry into the competition, does this mean that all those stories that were over 500 words will also be considered too? I noticed that there are a handful of 500+ word stories...

I accept that as a paid up Ankama employee, Izmar is allowed to change the rules if circumstances see fit. However, I do feel that accepting the entries that were submitted after the original time is unfair on the other hundred plus people who made the effort to submit on before the previously announced end time. As an earlier comment said, all entries come with date stamps so it would be easy to track submission times.

0 0
Score : 369

I have to throw down my lot with team Izmar on this one. I don't think that anybody actually spent the entire allotted time working. If you did... Then I commend your stalwart devotion to the literary cause, but honestly I think most people here spent an hour, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. These entries aren't the masterful productions of starving artists who slaved for days, and who (upon noticing that the topics hadn't been closed) cackled with glee as they put the finishing touches on their verbal Michelangelo. These are people who spent the same amount of time writing as any of us.

To compare the submission deadline to the word count is simply silly. The submission deadline is there to give an amount of time so that the JUDGES can collect what they think to be a fair and valid census. The word count is there to ensure that the AUTHORS write a clear and succinct story. If the judges wish for a more complete census, it is entirely within their rights to expand the opening time, especially is it's just because they are ill and need sleep. =P *cough* I feel you on that one Izmar. I would have joined the rabble if he changed the max word count and then closed the topic. That would have affected me much more, but... It's just more stories. =) I'd rather not win on the technicality that someone didn't get to enter, wouldn't you?

EDIT: Haha, I just realized the slight comedy of something. I'm sick with a flu that my mom brought back with her from Europe... We might have the same thing, Izmar. xD

0 0