Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[News] [Contest] Gobbowl World Cup

By #[Izmar] - ADMIN - June 08, 2010, 11:15:04
DevTracker Announcements
Reactions 221
Score : 2476

Next week D:
I'm a really patient person. But inside me lies an impatient devil :s AAAAAAAAAA I DON'T KNOW IF I'LL SURVIVE THIS.

xD just kiddin'
I've read some of the entries. Some were really good ^^ I also have some favorites (I didn't read all for the Love of .. :s I'd be pretty crazy to stand in front of the monitor waiting for the next entry to be posted and read it as soon as it's on.. Like for real). But I'm not telling whose (uhh.. to be serious, I don't remember.. Hell what do I know who wrote it o_O I only read entries and not who wrote it).

Well Good Luck to all biggrin

0 0
Score : 1436
DualHelix|2010-06-16 21:15:00
I have to throw down my lot with team Izmar on this one. I don't think that anybody actually spent the entire allotted time working. If you did... Then I commend your stalwart devotion to the literary cause, but honestly I think most people here spent an hour, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. These entries aren't the masterful productions of starving artists who slaved for days, and who (upon noticing that the topics hadn't been closed) cackled with glee as they put the finishing touches on their verbal Michelangelo. These are people who spent the same amount of time writing as any of us.

I want to bow out of this debate really, I feel I'm coming off a bit too confrontational and I really don't want to stress out Izmar, or anyone, when they're feeling ill. I'd just really appreciate it, Dual, if you didn't try to tell people how long they spent on their entries. It comes off as a bit pretentious (even though I'm sure you don't mean it in that way). I'd rather not give an exact number of days it took me to formulate my entry, suffice to say that I do have some difficulty when it comes to getting my ideas down on (virtual) paper. I'm glad that it only takes you an hour or two to produce something you're happy with but please don't assume it's that easy for the rest of us.

You're right, of course, that I would rather win on merit than a technicality, it's just a nagging part of me wishes I could have submitted the revised 3rd-person entry that I had been working on as a better reflection of my ability but for fear of having it discarded as being past the 9AM cut-off. This perhaps only applies to me though and I feel a bit selfish lobbying for it for such a reason, I can hardly take the moral high ground when my motives are such! So, unless prompted, I will say no more on the subject and instead eagerly await the results along with everybody else.
0 0
Score : 369
Elusial|2010-06-16 22:24:00
I want to bow out of this debate really, I feel I'm coming off a bit too confrontational and I really don't want to stress out Izmar, or anyone, when they're feeling ill. I'd just really appreciate it, Dual, if you didn't try to tell people how long they spent on their entries. It comes off as a bit pretentious (even though I'm sure you don't mean it in that way). I'd rather not give an exact number of days it took me to formulate my entry, suffice to say that I do have some difficulty when it comes to getting my ideas down on (virtual) paper. I'm glad that it only takes you an hour or two to produce something you're happy with but please don't assume it's that easy for the rest of us.

You're right, of course, that I would rather win on merit than a technicality, it's just a nagging part of me wishes I could have submitted the revised 3rd-person entry that I had been working on as a better reflection of my ability but for fear of having it discarded as being past the 9AM cut-off. This perhaps only applies to me though and I feel a bit selfish lobbying for it for such a reason, I can hardly take the moral high ground when my motives are such! So, unless prompted, I will say no more on the subject and instead eagerly await the results along with everybody else.

Ah, it wasn't meant to be pretentious. It was actually a conglomeration of times that I had heard from various people throughout the course of the forum. The longest I'd heard was about 4 hours, the shorter being closer to 30 minutes. I wasn't telling anyone how long they spent on the story, but was more trying to state an average of how long people took in order to point out that I don't think adding a couple hours onto the end would have really made or broken anyone in particular. Trust me when I say that I understand that the prewriting and formulation can take much longer than that. It was an attempt at averaging, and if that offended you then you have my most sincere apologies.

If your mind nagged you, you should have gone for it! While the forum was open, revisions were more than welcome, along with new submissions. None of us can complain that people got "more time" or "less time" because honestly we all got the exact same amount of time. =) Some of us just had misconceptions about how long that time was going to be, which can be irritating, but is (in my mind) forgivable. For what it's worth, I don't think a perspective shift will either make or break your piece!
0 0
Score : 330
Chocobo-Knights|2010-06-11 14:28:00
Are you kidding? There are stories better than ours, CloudyMind's, AtomicBrainslide's, EnglandFootball's, any of these could win...

Oh, Thank guys. :3 Although.. now Im not sure. Because someone said my story has 505 words.. when Microsfot Word said it had exactly 500 words. So I don't know what the deal is.. I hope it doesnt effect the outcome. But there Are GREAT stories out there that I would be happy to see win over mine. smile

EDIT: Typo.
0 0
Score : 1938

Hehe, I laughed at the Injury Report entry xD

0 0
EnglandFootball|2010-06-17 05:47:00
Oh, Thank guys. :3 Although.. now Im not sure. Because someone said my story has 505 words.. when Microsfot Word said it had exactly 500 words. So I don't know what the deal is.. I hope it doesnt effect the outcome. But there Are GREAT stories out there that I would be happy to see win over mine. smile

EDIT: Typo.

I wouldn't worry about the word count. =) I think that since people used different tools to count, a flex of 10 words or so won't really matter, so long as you tried to stay within the confines of whatever tool you were using.

...I hope that's the case anyhow. o.O
0 0
Score : 147

Aww poor izzy- pats the flame with a thermal glove ;;.-" there there lil guy.. would you like some bark? I know It may not taste well for someone like me but perhaps a wee lil flame could merit from it?happy"-sips orange juice-" meh I can't wait for the judges to finish up.. though if I dun make it in the top three I really hope I can find out where I placed at in the pack.

0 0
Score : 2580
CaptainHonesty|2010-06-16 19:44:00
Thanks for the vote of confidence capslok, I certainly appreciate it.

I had a great time reading each and every one of these stories, though some may not have been well-written as others they were still mightily entertaining and all the authors should be very proud of what they've done (You can trust me on this, I am Captain Honesty after all).

Priz, Chocobo-Knight, PerfectCadence, & Bint each had a story that I personally enjoyed. Whether it was the content, point of view, message, or the creativity, they stood out to me, one way or another, though Dual's story had a fantastic joke weaved in his so that deserves a mention.

I found writing my story (or more specifically, "Injury Report") a very fun experience as I don't often write using characters I don't create myself, but as I've found out creating within limits can actually be easier or at least a lot of fun.

Good luck to everybody, and I hope that the good people at Ankama give us more opportunities to entertain and inspire in future contests.

I liked your injury report smile it was only one of a couple or few which used a different and interesting format.
And did you read all the stories posted?! ohmy just judging from what you said. I tried reading through them all but I eventually got tired. lol
0 0
Score : 7476

I spent all day at school in a very deep and dark depression, as there is no way that I can win that artbook 3

*Sghs*

Oh well biggrin Most of 'em were excellent, and I'm glad I tried ;D

0 0
Score : 8
-srachi|2010-06-17 13:45:00
I liked your injury report smile it was only one of a couple or few which used a different and interesting format.
And did you read all the stories posted?! ohmy just judging from what you said. I tried reading through them all but I eventually got tired. lol

To be more precise I did look at every single story, but tended to spend a little more time on stories that were well-written or had an interesting quirk. I felt that all these stories deserved to be read as a courtesy to the authors ... aaaannd to get a good idea of how I could make my story stand out.

Thanks -srachi and Demodude for the 2 more votes of confidence, I 'preciatte it. Comedy is probably my strongest skill either way.

And don't be so down capslok, what I liked about your story was the way you built up tension until the conclusion. Be proud of what you've done! I mean, you can only improve, right?
0 0
Score : 3096

do you have an exact judging date and also im guessing the prize of the lotto code will change like first is dragon second is rouge and thrid is wabbit?
sorry if i have the codes a bit mixed up happy

0 0
Score : 2580
CaptainHonesty|2010-06-18 10:28:00
To be more precise I did look at every single story, but tended to spend a little more time on stories that were well-written or had an interesting quirk. I felt that all these stories deserved to be read as a courtesy to the authors ... aaaannd to get a good idea of how I could make my story stand out.

Thanks -srachi and Demodude for the 2 more votes of confidence, I 'preciatte it. Comedy is probably my strongest skill either way.

And don't be so down capslok, what I liked about your story was the way you built up tension until the conclusion. Be proud of what you've done! I mean, you can only improve, right?

You're welcome smile
lol i dont think my story would win for sure. i mean, i do feel guilty that i posted a story with the same idea as chocobo knight's, although i didn't copy it...it will probably be judged more harshly i think. The surprise of my story would be probably be ruined anyway because the concept was covered earlier in the thread.
0 0
Score : 63

Will someone look at mine and give me an opinion please; it's the one on the 3rd page near the bottom with indents as ---> for different paragraphs

PLZ and THX

P.S. I think mine gets a 5/5 for originality; 5/5 for creativity; 1/5 for humor; 4/5 for quality of work
15/20 = 75% ):

0 0
Score : 115
oopin|2010-06-18 09:38:00
Will someone look at mine and give me an opinion please; it's the one on the 3rd page near the bottom with indents as ---> for different paragraphs

PLZ and THX

P.S. I think mine gets a 5/5 for originality; 5/5 for creativity; 1/5 for humor; 4/5 for quality of work
15/20 = 75% ):

Err, the announcer style isn't all that original, it could have been more original if you hadn't just flipped the class names around... especially since quite a few of them were already words flipped. Also, i didn't like the use of 's every time you said a spell. It's wrote quite well, though the arrows before each paragraphs would have looked better just as spaces. Also, you could have used the bold, underline and italic functions, to highlight specific areas e.g 'FINAL GOAL!!!' or 'BLITZKRIEG!'. I also didn't really like the WW2 reference, 'Blitzkrieg', because that means 'Lightning War' and a team is not a war... nor should it be named after one >.<.
Other than that, it was good.

PS. I realise i was very critical there, but i'm just a very critical person, even a perfectionist in some ways xD

Edit>> Srachi, if i'd known you were going to post that story e.g you pmed me earlier, i could have easily replaced it with another story, because i did write quite a few.
0 0
Score : 1575
Chocobo-Knights|2010-06-18 12:12:00
Err, the announcer style isn't all that original, it could have been more original if you hadn't just flipped the class names around... especially since quite a few of them were already words flipped. Also, i didn't like the use of 's every time you said a spell. It's wrote quite well, though the arrows before each paragraphs would have looked better just as spaces. Also, you could have used the bold, underline and italic functions, to highlight specific areas e.g 'FINAL GOAL!!!' or 'BLITZKRIEG!'. I also didn't really like the WW2 reference, 'Blitzkrieg', because that means 'Lightning War' and a team is not a war... nor should it be named after one >.<.

PS. I realise i was very critical there, but i'm just a very critical person, even a perfectionist in some ways xD

Edit>> Srachi, if i'd known you were going to post that story e.g you pmed me earlier, i could have easily replaced it with another story, because i did write quite a few.

tell me evade, why do you credit me ingame, but not on forums? wink

edit: I have made the story on my alt account, if I win (a big IF!) would it be possible to put the dofus item (flute) on my main account?
0 0
Score : 5028

You should be able to exchange it after 2 months, just like any other gift.

0 0
Score : 115
---gordeous--|2010-06-18 13:26:00
tell me evade, why do you credit me ingame, but not on forums? wink

edit: I have made the story on my alt account, if I win (a big IF!) would it be possible to put the dofus item (flute) on my main account?

I credit you in game? I don't even know who you are...

Edit> After realising who you are, i'd like to say that i stick by with what i said in the previous comment, and retract what i may have said in-game.

Second edit > The flute may not be tradeable, since it isnt exactly a normal gift item...
0 0
Score : 63
Chocobo-Knights|2010-06-18 12:12:00

Yeah I understand, i was trying to make it like a demigod tournament since the gods names are spelled forward i thought it would be right the put a demigods name with respects to the gods name such as backwards or an anagram would have worked better XD
also, i copy pasted it form a word document and the bold didn't go with it so i compensated with quotations but now that i remember it did have those options which is what i wanted >.< also both team names are war strategies; crippling actually is a war strategy to weaken the main points in an enemy such as supplies XD but thank you for your critique biggrin
the team names were suppose to describe the the actual team such as very powerful/fast and taking ap/mp

It's obvious i didn't make that evident so thank you very much for your critique again XD appreciate it
0 0
oopin|2010-06-18 09:38:00

PLZ and THX

15/20 = 75% ):

Went back and re-read yours, and in doing so I'd make a few comments since you asked for them.

Personally, I think the commentator style is fun. I would have liked to see more expansion on the Demigod background story, and it needed a little line editing, though. Also, you could stand to elaborate on the commentator style! You mostly used it as a third person narrator, not a terrible thing in itself, but the fun thing about a commentator is how human they are. Add in some snark! Commentators are there to make the game more fun because they tell you more than what you see. If you fleshed out the story a little in that sense, I think you'd see it take leaps and bounds from where it was. It would certainly stand above my simplistic third person narrator on a basic plot, haha.

I actually liked the amount of elaborate back and forth you gave between spells! Most people only think of spells in terms of how they can hit things, and it's always fun to see someone consider how spells might be applied to do more mundane chores. If you want me to get either more critical or in depth, I'd be happy to, but that's what I noticed looking over it. =) Hope that helps ya out a little.

0 0
Score : 1246

When is final judgement. The anticipation is murdering me.

0 0