FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Running Dofus 2 on Linux without *installing* AIR

By Elusial June 22, 2010, 02:16:22

OK, so, I'm writing this now on the eve of migration for the last remaining International/UK servers in the hope someone will find it useful. Installing Dofus 2 on Linux requires root privileges as the script installs Adobe AIR as an RPM or DEB (requiring root) and then AIR installs Dofus itself as an RPM or DEB. This means that, if you don't have root access on your computer (such as at school/Uni or you share a computer or whatever), you're screwed. With 1.29 you could happily download and play the game pretty much anywhere that had a browser and lenient internet filtering, however with 2.0 this is no longer the case.

After a bit of poking around I think I may have come up with a solution (because I really want to slack off at Uni). Firstly you need a full install of Dofus 2.0. This requires having root access somewhere (or a Virtual Machine). You'll need to install the game as usual (if you use an RPM-based distribution and are having trouble with the official installer, let me know, I think I have a guide around here somewhere) on your system and then zip it up in some way to take to wherever you want to play. Since Ankama insist on us using install scripts rather than just handing us a zip (for no good reason as far as I can tell), this is the only way forward I'm afraid. I would be happy to upload a copy of a fully-installed Dofus 2 to my server for people to download however Ankama will not verify that the contents of that package are safe and so I cannot post a link here. Definitely don't PM me about that either and you should most certainly not, under any circumstances, go to impsvillage.com where I will be writing up a similar thread that can contain the link.

Once you have all a full install of Dofus zipped up, you can unpack it wherever you want to play. Since UpLauncher doesn't require AIR to run, you shouldn't need to worry about re-zipping Dofus 2 every time there's an update, you'll just have to run UpLauncher each time.

The next thing you need is Adobe's AIR debugging utility, ADL. It's part of the developer SDK so you can download and run it from wherever you are after unpacking Dofus. You can get the SDK from here. Create a new directory wherever and unpack the SDK to it. For convenience's sake, my version of the dofus2 package already has the SDK in it to save you a few steps and you can do the same too. Once that's done you need to go to wherever you unpacked Dofus 2 (in this example we'll just assume you unpacked it to a folder called 'dofus2') and create a symbolic link from the application.xml file into the share directory:

CODE
cd dofus2/share
ln -s META-INF/AIR/application.xml .

Again, this is already done in my dofus 2 package and I would advise you do the same before zipping it up.

Once that's done you can just edit the launch-dofus.sh script to look something like the following (replace /path/to/sdk/ with the location of wherever you unpacked the AIR SDK):
CODE
#!/bin/bash
cd share
/path/to/sdk/bin/adl application.xml &> /dev/null

Save the file and run it as normal and you should be able to play Dofus 2. No need for root access and no need to install AIR.
0 0
Respond to this thread