FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Why bother creating an 'optimal version'?

By Elusial December 18, 2007, 20:15:07

This may just be me but I can't see any real point to making the server less prone to disconnections. I know disconnections are the biggest problem with the new Heroic Server but in my experience it's never been the server's fault that I get disconnected.

I can't speak for everyone but it seems to me that the greatest cause of disconnection is unreliable wireless connections. If it's not wireless then it could just be unreliable internet connections. The other main cause would be trying to run too many programs at once. If you do that and don't have enough RAM or a fast enough processor then your computer won't be able to respond to the server's requests and so it will think you're disconnected.

I have never experienced a disconnection where I was just merrily walking along and BAM! I get booted back to the login screen. Whenever I lose connection it's been because of a problem at my end, not Ankama's.

So why bother creating an optimal version that will only improve the server's reliability? Sure, it may stop a few cases but implementing a whole new system whereby people can reconnect to their ongoing battles would solve every case of disconnection.

Making an optimal version will not stop people dying from disconnections and on a server like the Heroic server, dying from a disconnection is just not acceptable in any circumstance. I'd hate to play the server thinking that all the time I invest may be completely wasted by the modem going down. I'll probably still play it and hope it never happens but I'm sure there are going to be a few pissed ex-level 115s around.

0 0
Reactions 3
Score : 123
Citation
Elusial :

I can't speak for everyone but it seems to me that the greatest cause of disconnection is unreliable wireless connections. If it's not wireless then it could just be unreliable internet connections.

[code][code][code]In that case they should complain to their ISP, Administrator, or to whom ever set up their connection, not to Ankama[/code][/code][/code]
Citation
I have never experienced a disconnection where I was just merrily walking along and BAM! I get booted back to the login screen. Whenever I lose connection it's been because of a problem at my end, not Ankama's.

[code][code][code]I agree, although, I've ran 3 accounts on 1,5Ghz sempron and 512Mg RAM, while browsing Internet with firefox, and didn't disconnect once...not even laggs[/code][/code][/code]
Citation
So why bother creating an optimal version that will only improve the server's reliability? Sure, it may stop a few cases but implementing a whole new system whereby people can reconnect to their ongoing battles would solve every case of disconnection.

[code][code][code]I agree...but stability of server is always good idea....so better that than nothing :-))[/code][/code][/code]
0 0
Score : 1435

Sometimes internet disconnections can't be helped even if you complain to your ISP or Administrator, it's out of their hands.

I'm not saying you will disconnect if you run too many programs at once. I'm saying you can disconnect if your computer can't handle everything and becomes unresponsive. I'm sure most people can do loads of stuff at once without experiencing lag.

Yes, it is better than nothing but I never thought the server was particularly unstable in the first place. I just think they should be concentrating their efforts on removing the threat of disconnects rather than just lessening the chance.

0 0
Score : 123

Hmmm.....Yes I agree with that. But watching the attitude of Ankama to their customers in few months I'm having account, I've realized it's same as EA's and many other Software and Game companies. They will rather publish out tones of half made crap, than one good thing... Why.... Money...

Ankama is not different than that... Their care about customers is only motivated by money they pay... But hey...They are only doing what everybody else is doing...making money...So You can't really blame them if they don't want to spend their resources in 2-3 years old product....If Dofus became perfect...Then Wakfu will have to do at least the same....

It sucks...But that's the way it is....A. Games run slow...B. Buy new computer...C. Play game...D. New game came out that needs more than Your computer can give... E. Go to A....

One last thing....Money didn't made itself.....But humans still serves to it....

0 0
Respond to this thread