FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Dofus 2.0 client works slower...

By Zen-Akhna June 15, 2010, 16:27:46

~~ I have installed Dofus 2, and Adobe Air installed itself. However, I set the Preferences to the lowest quality, so I can play the game as I used to play it in 1.29. However, game still cuts upon the spell casting (cut-scenes cut, lol)
One time, I accidentaly closed the updater and noticed great improvement in client running. Which makes me conclude that music is slowing down my client. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? It's not a problem to play without sound, but I'd love if I could have it on smile ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

0 0
Reactions 18
Score : 261
Zen-Akhna|2010-06-15 10:27:00
~~ I have installed Dofus 2, and Adobe Air installed itself. However, I set the Preferences to the lowest quality, so I can play the game as I used to play it in 1.29. However, game still cuts upon the spell casting (cut-scenes cut, lol)
One time, I accidentaly closed the updater and noticed great improvement in client running. Which makes me conclude that music is slowing down my client. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? It's not a problem to play without sound, but I'd love if I could have it on smile ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

Actually a lot of games seem to have issues with sound, slowing down older PCs.

I notice no problems with the 2.0 client, but I also have an incredibly decent PC (GeForce 260GTX, 8GB RAM & a Quad Core Processor), so it runs it with no problem.

QUOTE (Izmar)
This new version of AIR greatly improved memory management (with up to 30% reduction in RAM utilization), and other optimization changes to reduce CPU load.

In the near future, AIR 2 will allow us to seperate the sound management from the updater, which will mean sound will still be available in-game, even if the updater is closed.

Perhaps that will help you in the near future, when they get everything updated. smile

Sidenote: Oh, and make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Video, sound, etc.
0 0
Score : 742

~~ Of course they are up to date, this is not the first time I'm experiencing problems of this kind. Also, Dofus 2 is way slower than Dofus 1.29 on my computer, although my computer is old. (Intel Celeron 1.73, 512 MB RAM, nVidia GeForce MX 440)

Shouldn't Dofus 1.29 and 2 have same technical requirements? I really love this game and it would be shame for me to leav it now sad ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

0 0
Score : 261
Zen-Akhna|2010-06-15 16:17:00
~~ Of course they are up to date, this is not the first time I'm experiencing problems of this kind. Also, Dofus 2 is way slower than Dofus 1.29 on my computer, although my computer is old. (Intel Celeron 1.73, 512 MB RAM, nVidia GeForce MX 440)

Shouldn't Dofus 1.29 and 2 have same technical requirements? I really love this game and it would be shame for me to leav it now sad ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

Please don't take offense to my questions, I mean so many people (mainly kids -- I don't know your age) know diddly squat about drivers and usually rely on their parents for that sort of stuff (and most of the time their parents don't even know how to do it, haha).

Anyhow, I hope you get this sorted. Your computer is definitely older, so that is definitely a major cause. sad Hopefully with the new AdobeAIR, they might be able to optimize it better and maybe that will make it run better for ya.

And even though you're gonna want to strangle me for this, you might want to consider saving up for a new PC. tongue
0 0

~~ Being an 18 year old student, I'm having difficulties with "saving up for new PC"... I barely have this one, and I don't rely on my parents who are clueless about computers when it comes to drivers. I recently updated with the latest, nVidia Display Driver, so that's not the problem. All I wanted was for Dofus 2 to work the way 1.xx worked. Aparently I'll be getting a new computer.

Thank you for the feedback, anyways, much appreciated. ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

0 0
Score : 3715

I'm going to go out on a limb and blame your RAM. This game does require a bit more RAM than 1.29 did. Right now (I'm playing) my game is running about 222MB of my system RAM. So, let's say your game runs at 222MB like mine does, you have to factor in the memory your drivers are taking, the memory your critical system processes are taking, any other possible windows (media players/internet), and even if you have anything saved on your clipboard (copy/paste) because even that takes memory. What you should do is open your Task Manager (if you're on windows) and see where your system stands without 2.0 running and then with it running and then see if it's taking a hardcore drag on your system resources. If it is, it might be time for an upgrade.

You don't necessarily have to buy a new PC, RAM is a relatively cheap upgrade as you can buy a 1 GB stick for 45-60$ in the US. About processors though, I wouldn't be able to help you.

Best of luck to you!
-Mentor 68

0 0

I also thought that it could be a RAM consequence. My DofusMod.exe proccess uses 201.xxx K. So it's a bit lower than yours. Also, I don't have any more slots on my motherboard.. Had only 2, both filled with 256 MB. This sucks, and they said Dofus will have same requirement. Game is playable, while in fight. But if I wanna roam around Astrub, it sucks a lot sad

0 0

~~ bumping topic to first page ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

0 0
Score : 4

I haf problems too at times...a few wks ago when i joined dofus for d 1st time.....i jus joined dofus abt a mth only frm d date dis post is out....i culd not walk at times...and d funny part was when some1 walked near to my character on screen and then i culd move my character again....! surprise rite....and there was dis 1 time when i culd not move my character and some1 told me to log in and log out and i did it and it moved to where my mouse shows it...( i noe it werks like dat too and i did d relog in and relog out before dat fella told me to but it didnt werk on my own but miraculously it werked when he told me dat it was gg to work...) I noe it sounds a bit mumbo jumbo and all dat but it happened...now d only setback to my game is d running ard dofus...at times it is lagging or slow by a second and once or twice no sound after i logged in.....WAt else???hmmm my laptop is not dat old it is running on WINDOWS XP AND it is a compaq presario widescreen edition and its specifications is 1.79 GHZ, 896MB RAM....but i am using a wireless broadband on mobile on USB STICK dat my telco company in my country offers.....it is a 14.4mbps....
so does any of those causes my game to lagg at times even in battle too.....especially when there are more than me in d game battle wif mobs....i sometimes take d time it lagg to see outside my hse to make sure i dont get eye problem for staring at d laptop screen.....hehe.....really!...

0 0

Future reference: Don't bump your topics. It's not that deathly of an issue and it's not more important than everyone elses.

-Mentor 68

0 0

~~ Maybe not for you Mentor, but it's a deathly issue for me. It would mean the end of an era. I won't be able to play Dofus anymore! ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

0 0
Score : 59

Hello,

I won't make new Topic.
Anyways I can run Dofus 2.0 fine with 4 accounts, but if i play for a while then Dofus slows down, takes long to respond and so on. Same thing with 1 account.
Any fix for this ? Graphics card ? Seems updated.( tho. it can be)
In Ubuntu its runs fine, but can only use 1-2 accounts there.

Bye,

0 0

~~ 4(!) accounts???

You might as well just hang me... ~~

~ Zen-Akhna ~

0 0

Well, about your bumping the thread:

QUOTE (Kaoly)
No thread bumping. If you do not have something to contribute to the discussion, do not post.

When you play for a while, that's a consequence. What happens is your program allocates memory to play, well sometimes, little faults in the program cause memory to not be returned properly to your computer. This causes memory to back up, that is what is called a "memory leak". It happens and with 4 programs running, you have memory leaks that happen 4 times a much, so more memory is lost on the wayside. Every program has memory leaks and even your system does. That's why when you let it run too long without shutting it off or restarting it, things start to slow down.

Zen, get another RAM stick and replace an old one. I've done it many times and you don't need an extra slot. And while having more slots is useful, alas you don't.

-Mentor 68
0 0

Hello,

ok, thanks for the response LXVIII, I understand the memory leaks, but why does Dofus 2.0 slow down in like 10mins. Thats alot of leakages then. Is there a way to prevent them ?

Bye,

0 0

There isn't a way to prevent memory leaks. You can make the program more memory efficient which can help manage the extent to which they happen, but you can't prevent them. A lot of things can cause memory leaks including overheated computers which cause hardware to work inefficiently and in WCS even dusty computers can affect the performance. Having too many programs running causes memory that is going back and forth between the programs can cause leaks, it just happens. When you have a lot more memory in your computer via more RAM sticks, it is a lot less noticeable. In order to fix memory leaks, you just need to restart the program. I'm not saying your computer has a problem per sé, because even the most powerful computer has memory leaks, that's why it's recommended you don't let your computer run too long without restarting it. Not only does restarting it apply any updates that are waiting in your computer's update queue, it resets all of the computer's memory. I know that if I let my computer run too long, my computer which on any given time takes 23%-38% of it's system resources while Idling ends up sticking around 70% and at one point it was even at 95%, which then nothing could run effectively and I had to restart it which brought it back into the 23%-38% range.

Best of luck,
-Mentor 68

0 0
Score : 1436
Mentor-LXVIII|2010-06-20 17:29:00
Having too many programs running causes memory that is going back and forth between the programs can cause leaks, it just happens.

Memory, uh, doesn't move. I don't even know what you could possibly mean here. It doesn't go 'back and forth between' programs. Memory is static, it just sits there and lets programs read from and write to it, there's no way having multiple programs running at once somehow causes memory leaks, it's absurd.

Also, computers in general don't inherently have an 'update queue', that's something specific to Windows (and maybe Macs). Good Operating Systems can apply 99% of updates without requiring a restart of any kind and, speaking of restarts, you by no means have to restart your computer regularly. Sure, if there's a memory leak in your OS then you're going to have to do that but I, for instance, haven't restarted my computer in several months and the base memory consumption has not increased in any way. Furthermore, I'm in charge of my Uni's Computing Society's servers (of which there are about 5) and some of those have not been restarted in years (because restarting servers means disrupting services which we'd rather not do).

So, in conclusion, there's nothing you can do about the memory leaks in Dofus 2 until Ankama fix them (unless the leaks are in AIR's libraries, in which case we have to wait for Adobe to fix them, not Ankama). It is perfectly possible to have a program with 0 memory leaks (in fact, most programs don't have any memory leaks) so when Ankama finally do fix all the leaks, there will no longer be any problem. Also, UpLauncher is apparently where the majority of the leaks are at the moment so closing that is a good bet to increase performance (though you lose sound).
0 0

Hello,

Elusial, thats what i thought also.
I found this thread: http://forum.dofus.com/en/log-book-f1/adob...tml#entry509371
My Dofus 2.0 starts lagging in about 30min, does not matter if i use 1 or 4+ clients. So it could be AIR not Dofus.

Bye,

0 0
Score : 1436
Garway|2010-06-23 10:14:00
Hello,

Elusial, thats what i thought also.
I found this thread: http://forum.dofus.com/en/log-book-f1/adob...tml#entry509371
My Dofus 2.0 starts lagging in about 30min, does not matter if i use 1 or 4+ clients. So it could be AIR not Dofus.

Bye,

Judging from that post you linked, your issue seems like some sort of performance bug with AIR/Dofus and not a memory leak. Best to follow the advice there and downgrade to AIR 1.5.
0 0
Respond to this thread