FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

How Ankama is unknowingly supporting Harvester Bots

By Robeine - SUBSCRIBER - November 27, 2012, 08:56:25
DevTracker
Reactions 54
Score : 362

IP banns simply does not work due to proxies and dynamic IPs, that they have tried this has lead to many problems for people with Internet Service Providers that are in the IP ranges bots have used as they have been banned for no fault of their own.
(the IP-range got banned and they are inside it)

0 0
Score : 2989
MisTbladEr|2013-02-23 22:38:55
LegendaryV|2013-02-23 20:13:51
MisTbladEr|2013-02-08 23:48:23
They might help the bots, but they help new players much more. As a low level lumberjack or miner, fighting resource guardians represents your main income of desired resource.
No, as a low level, the priority is leveling the profession. As you know there is no experience gain for resource protector fights.
I wasn't talking about experience at all. With level 10 miner, getting those 50 minerals from a bag is worth a lot of mining time. Having level 80 lumberjack, it's much faster for me to kill the guardian than to chop 50 logs, even with ash.
It is only good till you get your profession to 100... At 100 you can harvest 50 logs/wheat/iron in 4 seconds if you're lucky, and a little more if not. They should make the number of resources in the bag bigger according to profession level otherwise its just annoying (and you tend to get more protectors the higher level you are, because you harvest faster)
0 0
Score : 1994
LegendaryV|2013-02-08 22:47:12
mendezstyle|2013-02-08 12:32:34
LegendaryV|2013-02-08 05:04:12
I'm not sure if this thread is considered old and what not, but I think the solution should be that there aren't resource protectors in subscriber areas. What do you guys think? I don't think many bots are subscribed so I don't think there's a need for the system there.
You are partially right, however there are MANY bots located in subscriber areas. I see them farming namely piwis and North-Bonta mobs (fungi masters/sunflowers etc). So the problem still lies within the subscriber reefs.

As to the solution, there nearly isn't one. Captchas will make people pluck out their hair, not to mention that this doesn't even work for account creations anyway. Stopping devourers will only make it easier for bots, and harder for people to collect resources. I'm still thinking of a solution, but we have to ask ourselves, is there one?
I believe there is one. We are human, we have the potential if we are willing to use our heads.
The problem is, bot programmers are also willing to use their heads. Anything one person is smart enough to build, another is smart enough to destroy.

There is no preventing bots, period. At least not on as large a scale as Dofus.

The most effective solution to botting is to reduce the gap between botters and legitimate players. Resource queuing is an excellent example of this, allowing legitimate players to keep up with bots.

As for those complaining about resource protectors... Go after Obsidian, or Frosteez, or Snowdrop, or whatever the Lumberjack equivalent is that I can't remember. The protectors are a godsend for those resources. That said, I've already stated that you can't stop bots, and the resource protectors are no exception. They don't really hinder bots any more than they do normal players, thus no gap is closed through their existence.

On the other hand, however, they do typically hinder low-level resources more than high-level resources. And how often do you see bots in the Obsidian mines?
0 0
Score : 537

Thing is, bot programmers have enough incentive to keep staying a step ahead. Sys-secs catch immediate clicks, bot quacks introduce gaps between clicks. Sys-secs look out for constant gaps, bot quacks generate random time functions. A checkmate for either side seems distant to the point of unrealistic.

My two cents - maybe make the dofus client freeze (in terms of input) while other windows are active? Users surf the wiki for info as they play, yes, but they don't need the client active simultaneously. They can read, then minimize the window, and their client unfreezes. In contrast, it is my belief that most botters use simultaneously active picture-input-based tactile programs. If the client freezes input, these probably wouldn't work.

0 0
Score : 1853
Robeine|2014-02-28 16:09:36
My two cents - maybe make the dofus client freeze (in terms of input) while other windows are active? Users surf the wiki for info as they play, yes, but they don't need the client active simultaneously. They can read, then minimize the window, and their client unfreezes. In contrast, it is my belief that most botters use simultaneously active picture-input-based tactile programs. If the client freezes input, these probably wouldn't work.
When I play dofus, I have my client (or clients if I'm multi-accounting) on one monitor and my web browser on the other monitor. On said monitor would be ~5 forum tabs, and 10~15 wiki tabs. I regularly switch to and fro between windows and tabs whether I am in PvM, PvP, resource gathering, maging, or getting something maged.

I would hate for the client to freeze if it unhighlighted (which is virtually, the same as being minimised if you have multiple monitors)
0 0
Score : 537

Freezing and unfreezing input only, so the time interval between you switching back to the client and the unfreezing would be virtually nothing.

0 0
Score : 1657

random math question each time encounter RP. biggrin 

0 0
Score : 36

If only they put half the effort they do modding the forums towards the bot problem.

0 0
Score : 302

Maybe a possible way to please legit players with the whole resource protector would be to give between 100-500 xp towards the respective profession whenever the protector is defeated? This may not help lv 100 prof players, but would certainly be appealing to those trying to grind levels in their profession.

0 0
Score : 2926

I'd like to know how successful the resource protectors in wakfu are. I hear theyre good, but as I can't be bothered to play wakfu myself, I woudln't know for a fact.

0 0
Score : 2

there is an easy solution to get rid of the bots easily by letting everyone help out.

give all players the "comand" to report a bot, once reported, dofus will ask the reported bot a random of 3 or 4 numbers, if the numbers arn't typed in correctly, the account is banned for a period of time or permanently.

0 0
Score : 732

I am fairly certain i have seen a similar solution somewhere on the forums before, and it got shut down due to being more detrimental to normal players.

Think on this, there are always going to be *insert word for not nice people here* who will want to abuse it, for example, you are out doing your chosen profession, say mining, after some of the good ore that there isnt very much of, someone else see's you are there also, force commands you to enter a 4 digit number, while they take the ore.

Also whats to stop bots from auto doing that to players everytime they enter the same map as them, so they can run off and not have it done to them?

Imo the bots arent that bad of a problem. I mine constantly on my 200 miner, maybe 1 day out of a fortnight do i see a bot running around, The current systems in place are doing their job. Sure it could be better, but its not as bad as it used to be, by any stretch.

Regards,
Arctic

0 0
Score : 186

I believe there will be always people trying to find the system failure.

0 0
Score : 351

For the guy that said that subscribers should have the option to turn off resource protectors:
That gives subscribers the incentive to bot themselves in areas where F2P bots aren't at.

Also, if Ankama just got some sort of Anti-bot script to detect macros like the likes of Runescape and World of Warcraft have then bots wouldn't be a problem as they could be easily autobanned, yes, the botters could work around this but updating of this script would lead to botters having very little time to actually bot before being shut down again.

Last of all, if there was a simple report system then Ankama wouldn't have to put the time and effort into making a script as they could just review accounts which have a multitude of reports and ban them, I really don't see why the extent of bot problems in Dofus is so great when there are simple solutions.

There's probably a flaw in my argument somewhere, feel free to point them out and I'll correct myself.

0 0
Score : 27364

Have you read through the official bots topic? Most of your ideas have been brought up and addressed in it already.

0 0
Respond to this thread