FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Is the hunter job really worth it?

By a98a3 - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - November 28, 2014, 23:41:10

I have been a hunter for a week now and I really like the hunting but meat never really sells, preserved or raw, it seems expensive as an average price but even when I am selling for a price lower than average it doesn't sell.
So I tried being a butcher too but realized it's even worth, cooked meat does not sell AT ALL when you are a low level butcher and I started to become afraid that I might put too much work later on for nothing.
Will things change as time passes by? Is the cause of items not selling that I am just a low level and meat (Cooked, preserved, raw) will sell later on? Are these jobs generally as good as others?
And the most important question, do people really buy cooked meat?! I don't and I am starting to doubt that people do that often.
Any information or tips are really appretiated.

0 0
Reactions 17
Score : 27366

The only meats that will really sell well are the ones that give stats or 1000+ hp. They are far more efficient and cost effective than bread, but for whatever reason the greater Dofus community never manages to figure that out.

It is certainly worth sticking with and at end game it can ensure you never have to waste money buying bread and because hunting is passive you are always gathering meat without really having to expend any extra energy.

The other nice thing is that the extra meats you get can level more hunters, so as your team gets bigger you can keep adding hunters until you have more than a few of them and you can farm an incredible amount of meat in a short amount of time.

0 0
Score : 11102

Unless you really invest in professions and go for miner/lumberjack/crafting with a magus specialization or two, in my opinion the best combo is alchemist,hunter,butcher just so you can cut down all the costs for fighting and transportation.

0 0
Score : 651

But that's my point, it's so much fun but it's not that profitable, am I right?

0 0
Score : 3052

It's not profitable, but you can save a ton of money by making your own healing items. I guess you could turn a profit if you collected and prepared almanax items in advance and then sold them.

0 0
Score : 828

Hello there,

In order to respond to your concerns, I first want to point out your first comment. You said that you really enjoyed the hunter and butcher profession, and I think that that should be the basis of why you would do any profession. Of course, money is a big part of the problem, because without money you won't be able to do anything. But I think all professions have the capability of generating kamas. It's just a matter of diligence, are you willing to put in the amount of effort required to generate a continuous flow of money? Yes, some professions are better at making money than others because of a greater demand for them, but it doesn't mean you should give up on this one especially since you enjoy it (and just as the previous comments, it's a passive profession, you can gather meat without having to put in as much effort as e.g. Lumberjack).

Now, I think that the hunter/butcher markets are expensive (aside from the fact that we have fixed prices) because there are less people who take on the profession. There's less competition so there's less people to undercut your prices. Unlike the farmer/baker markets which (I think) are continuously being undercut by a combination of bots and real players, there's less of us. Now onto my point, meat is really under appreciated, so if you want to sell meat you have to advertise it. You have to tell everyone why it's better than bread. Pull every single thing out of the bag and convince people to buy meat. The best form of advertisement is by word of mouth.

I think low level meat generally won't sell as quickly as higher level meat because higher level characters have a bigger health pool, so they need those croc meats to replenish their health. But don't be afraid to stock up the market with low level meat, because sometimes people don't want to waste 400HP meat to heal off 150~ health. And lastly, yes, people do buy meat. But you have to understand that you won't necessarily sell meat quickly every time because you have to give your customers time to use up all the meat they bought.

And also, I suggest contacting your friends, guild mates, friends of friends, anyone, and asking if they want a personal meat supplier who will even deliver them the meat for a discounted price. I find that this is really helpful, I even made an online order form, so whenever they need a discounted meat, they can just order from me. This can definitely help you get to know your customers, and serve to their needs.

Wishing you the best of luck,
Ponzu

0 0
Score : 13287

Every one of my characters is a hunter. A few still need to be fitted with hunting maged weapons when it comes time to tweak gear on them, but I find hunter to be great.

4 hunters running through say, kolosso while doing challenges can expect about 40 meat (total from the full run) 40 meat * 850 hp per is 34,000 hp recovery, and the meat is passively gathered as you go about doing things. 1 kolosso run equivalent to about 340 cereal bread.

At the end of each day, I take the meat I've gathered cook it up, and the next day is more than covered for my own usage. When I reach a surplus of around 100 meat, I throw some in the market. It isn't much, but it has saved me many a kama on hp food. and a kama saved is a kama earned. I even cook up some of the lower meats I get doing other things because why use my best meats when I'm only missing 200 hp.

As for profit It's not quick money, but If you decide to get together batches of 100 meat and sell them, they will move.

0 0
Score : 2928

The fact that its passive is a huge selling point. Have you tried selling un preserved meat? Alot of people buy that to level hunters. As for profit. If you consider a penny saved as earned, its pretty good profit. Also, croc meat and endgame meat sells. Maybe not as well as gob, wabbit, and tofu does u preserved, but I've had good luck. A team of 8 farming gobballs or wabbita or tofus can make a gorgeous penny if you sell everything. wink 

0 0

If I had to boil down why meat it better than bread to one thing, it would be this. Takes no extra effort to get and make that, as opposed to the effort the best bread requires.

To quote an old forum member (who most of you probably won't remember): 'nuff said.

0 0
Score : 651

I guess you guys are right, it saves lots of money and I realy enjoy it.
I guess I'll stick to it. biggrin 

0 0
Score : 2524
Revil-Nunor|2014-11-28 23:48:09
The only meats that will really sell well are the ones that give stats or 1000+ hp. They are far more efficient and cost effective than bread, but for whatever reason the greater Dofus community never manages to figure that out.

It is certainly worth sticking with and at end game it can ensure you never have to waste money buying bread and because hunting is passive you are always gathering meat without really having to expend any extra energy.

The other nice thing is that the extra meats you get can level more hunters, so as your team gets bigger you can keep adding hunters until you have more than a few of them and you can farm an incredible amount of meat in a short amount of time.
I will have to disagree here,

Everything which you can hunt, starting from hunter level 60 (so kanigers and on) sells realy well,
As stated above, it's passive and grants you 300 to 1100 health points... Why no-one aknowledges the brilliance of hunter is still a riddle to me (and most hunters)
Also, most frigost 1 and 2 meats (cube of meat, pingwin flesh, mastogob legs and imperial paté, snowfoux meats, kolosso and bearb meats) are used in various quests troughout your frigost questing time. This also goes for kanizures and stritches.... So there realy is a lot of money to be earned later on. But obviously nobody will buy meats which only get you 30 or 40 HP back, because at that point, bread is way cheaper.

You won't start earning money untill your 60~70's, unless you don't buy any sort of other healing anymore.
0 0
Score : 579

Hunter is also the only prof that you benefit more from if you run multiple accounts. I have four accounts and every character is a level 100 hunter, three of them have their main weapon maged with the hunters rune and the only reason the fourth doesn't is because it uses the Blord Warrior's Cursed Sword which can't be maged in any way.

Any low level meats I gather get fed to my mounts to keep their energy up.

Kaniger and Croc meat (once preserved and cooked) sells very well and with four hunters I can get 32 pieces of meat from a mob of eight Kanigers/Crocs.

However it really comes into its own when I level at Frigost, I'm gathering masto legs, cubes of meat and pingwin flesh the entire time I'm xp'ing smile

0 0
Score : 210

The biggest problem with Meat is not a lot of people know about it. now i have a lvl 100 alchemist and i can gather snowdrops for the gutrot potions, 550-650 hp. they sell terribly because not a lot of people go for potions. its all bread bread bread. same thing with hunter. if you want your products to sell, you need to advertise them. the market area at [0,1] is a great area to set up a shop with all your meat in it, since it surrounded by other shops which bound to have items people want. plenty of times i've seen certain items i need, all because i go to that spot every body and look.

0 0
Score : 72

I think that hunters shouldn't need to equip a tool or a maged weapon to gather meat. I weakens them.

Also...I think noone should equip tool to make professions work...like in wakfu. just having the tools in the inventory (or a specific new slot would do).

Hunter is not a profitable profession but it would be nice if edible meat gives bonuses to stats instead of just recovering life for like...one fight.

2 0

You can just mage a hunting rune onto any weapon, they require very little sink, so you can still have excellent stats on a weapon then drop a hunter rune on when you're done.

You aren't giving up anything, and you can then passively collect lots of meat without having to do anything special.

0 0
Score : 1222

Actually the boss dungeon meats usually give a bonus to strength. Royal Mastogob and Royal Pingwin meats come to my mind.

0 0
Score : 3886

Boss dungeon meats those that give stats are both good and bad. Good that they can be sold to people who bothers using meats to do the job scrolling does. Bad that people who only want cooked meat for the healing effects, cannot use boss dungeon meats because they all have a requirement of you having less than the amount of stats it states and stops letting you using them just for the healing effect once you hit the stat limit or maxed scroll the stat already.

0 0
Score : 8

i agree with feracius

0 0
Respond to this thread