FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Movement Queuing?

By Golbezz February 28, 2006, 18:32:52

Just thinking out load here....
Someone mentioned allowing an arrow key press to move from screen to screen... I'd like to go a bit further with the idea. Let's say I'm at the boot sellroom tile in Astrub, and I want to go to the resource sellroom tile, what if I could just hit the arrow keys (right, right, right, right, down, down, down). And my character would take off running. Obviously you'd have to know exactly how to get where you needed to go and it would still take the same amount of time (I don't want to take the "movement time" aspect out of the game), but I wouldn't have to: click, wait for screen to load, click, wait for screen to load, click, wait for screen to load, click, wait for screen to load, click, wait for screen to load, click, wait for screen to load, click, wait for screen to load--which is exactly what i have to do now. I don't know... can anyone see some possible downsides?

0 0
Reactions 8
Score : 50

Better yet, click on a square in the map and you get an context menu (similar to right-clicking) that says "Move here".

Might be better than memorizing how many squares in each direction every building is in relation to every other building.

0 0
Score : 2395

I like the map method better. A downside is, how do you deal with aggressors?

If a monster is an aggressor, normally you have to manually navigate the screen ... if you know it is aggressive, you avoid it. If you do not know, you may not. (Likewise, you may be cautious around creatures that are not aggressive.)

The only solution I see to this is to have the auto-movement stop in any screen with creatures in it.

0 0

Or, if there's no safe path...have a Verify screen, "There are aggresive enemies. Continue?"

If you continue, you risk the chance of being attacked.

0 0
Score : 238

It would be nice if on the map screen you'd had a button with the 'Move to here' option on it. Heck knows I've managed to overshoot places and get lost sometimes, even in Astrub.

But with the agressor creatures. You can't really have the confirm movement window as you'd have to click it almost every page to continue moving unless it was programmed to do this only where there are creatures that will actively attack you.

Good idea.. but with the ammount of people who'd use this, I could see serious lag happening on some screens as the program tries to deal with multiple 'move here' commands at once...

0 0

I disagree.

Basic pathfinding. When you click "Move here...", the computer would figure your complete path immediately. This also solves the problem with multiple screen aggressors...if there's one or more you get the confirmation screen immediately, and only once.

It's also possible to have the players' computers perform the computations as well. (Though I'm doubtful it would be neccesary. Pathfinding must be done for EVERY computer character...think of how many battles are going on simultaneously.)

Note: I'm a f2p. And having only played a few weeks I'm sure there are aspects about this game I don't understand; but I have done a little AI programming. This definitely seems within reach.

0 0
Score : 2395

Yup. There's nothing much breakable about letting that computation go on on the client side. Your movement within a screen almost certainly is done this way.

But you can't make the exception specific to aggressive mosnters without changing their role in the game. If you auto move through any screen with creatures in it except the aggressive ones, it gives you a very safe way to discover who is aggressive and who is not.

There's no reason why it cannot simply stop at the screens with creatures in it, and consider the path ended. But there are other problems.

One is range. Do you want to be able to click a location that is 50 moves away? Thats a lot of pathfinding (computationally expensive) ... to do it with waypoints and lookups gives the client-program a lot of information it does not currently have. To do without may require a much alrger memory footprint.

Another is unclear passages. An example is going from -1,24 zaap to the chaferu graveyard (south of sidimote moor). Looking on the map, it is unclear that there is a passage there, though there is. The movement features should not explore for you, only take you where you have been. But if you do this, many people, at least in certain areas, will always have 1 clear path, because they only ever explore once, to get there. This reduces the player experience, specificall your chnces of seeing new and more areas on the map.

0 0
Score : 212

Good suggestions. And, now you guys are seeing why I suggested movement queuing instead of auto-movement. Less (pratically nonexistant) processing, you have to be very familiar with the territory, and you'd better be watching your character while he is moving (not leaving the keyboard). I don't want to lose out on any of the "experience" of the game... just make moving less annoying.

0 0
Score : 21952

of course... there's always agressor players... you know ?

0 0
Respond to this thread