FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Dofus "F2P" Model: DLC Packs

By Gunnerwolfang - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - December 26, 2016, 16:34:14

Seems like a lot of players keep on asking for Dofus to be free to play... Here is my idea of a free to play Dofus model.

Dofus DLC Pack Model
Instead of subscribing, players of this game model buy contents.
Free: Incarnam and Astrub
$10: Taniella (Gobball dungeon), Astrub Rocky Inlet (Sand dungeon), Lousy Pig Plain (Almanax) and Cemetery of Heroes.
$10: Amakna
$10: Sufokia, Scaraleaf Plain, Porco Territory and Dreggon Peninsula.
etc etc etc

Each new area will be available as DLC (example: Ohwymi $10, Dimension $5 each).

Technically it is not a "free" model, but once you buy and unlocked a DLC, you can play on those areas for free for as long as Dofus is online.

1 -6
Reactions 60
Score : 214

Sounds legit,similar to the ARK.

What if i don't need that content in my map?

Maybe bigger DLC packs would be better,like content levels,divide it to tiers,1-begginer content pack...-5 end game content pack.

1 0
Score : 3378

Very interesting idea! This would allow new players to explore the world little by little. Would this be a one time fee? Once you have payed for an area, you don't need to pay for it again, except if you have multiple accounts? I'm not yet sure it's the best solution but I think it really has many merits. happy

What about seasonal areas like Kwismas island and Vulkania? Perhaps that should be a single pack, the Holiday resorts pack (including also Al Howin's dungeon and any future Fleaster island or some-such)? Since they're not open at all times it would probably be best if buying it gives the players something to enjoy more than once a year.

0 -1
Score : -231
Paxifix|2016-12-26 17:02:21
Very interesting idea! This would allow new players to explore the world little by little. Would this be a one time fee? Once you have payed for an area, you don't need to pay for it again, except if you have multiple accounts?
Yes, once you buy a DLC, you can play on that area indefinitely.

And yes Kwismas, Al Howin, Vulcania and all other seasonal contents could be packaged as a single DLC pack, "Seasons DLC" for $15.

With this model, Ankama will have to keep making new and interesting contents, or else, nobody will buy DLC's and they will not earn anything.
So if they can make 4 new DLC every year, each could cost around $10-20 each, they could sell $40-80 worth of DLC each account per year.

This could also apply for other contents not necessarily for new areas only. For example, in order to play the new class, players need to unlock it first by buying the "Öuginak DLC" which includes the new class and a new area or dungeon.

In a way, the premium content is a sort of DLC pack. You can only access the premium house to get the manitoh zoth incarnation if you have the premium status.

xxchexx|2016-12-26 16:56:31
Maybe bigger DLC packs would be better,like content levels,divide it to tiers,1-begginer content pack...-5 end game content pack.
Ofcourse, bigger DLC could be bought at discounted price... For example, the whole main continent could be bought for $100 as a "Prime DLC" pack.
0 -4
Score : 12

i dont have word to say its totally bullshit.
paying huge money to unlock territory for 1 account but for multi account max 8 its fortune.
its worst idea you had gunner

0 0

After playing for 10 years, you paid around $500+ on 1 account.
With DLC, you can play the whole game for around $300+. It could even be cheaper if you just buy selected DLC.

It might seem expensive at first but if you look at it in the long run it is actually cheaper.
And with a DLC model, there would be less quitter, because as long as you have bought a few DLC, you can keep on playing even if you no longer buy additional DLCs.

0 -4
Score : 6134

And a new player will know which areas are the best exactly how...?

Not only new players would be prone to buying areas they can't play in, this raises a lot more problems. Leeching would become a necessity for saving money, since people wouldn't want to buy low level areas; after all, why buy something that is dead content even as we speak? To level up legitimately, you have to buy areas that you will only use once in a while. That would also make people buy only the most popular areas, and ignore the others, because some areas are simply more worth our time than others. Some areas would become overcrowded, some areas would become dead. Treasure hunting would either die if you can't do it in areas you haven't bought, or be the best way to do anything if it just doesn't matter. A lot of missions would be hidden behind pay walls to complete. How many areas would you need to buy JUST to get the astrub achievments?

This change would require so many changes it might as well be a new game.

0 0
Score : 12
Gunnerwolfang|2016-12-27 00:21:25
After playing for 10 years, you paid around $500+ on 1 account.
With DLC, you can play the whole game for around $300+. It could even be cheaper if you just buy selected DLC.

you spent for years of playing a game and tell which game is worth to pay such money for dlc i know dofus not worth paying for such big money
0 0
Score : 3378

The problems with which packs new players would buy and if some areas would be worth it or not depends on how it's designed. If there is clear information about the suggested levels of included areas, new players will see that certain packs are best bought later on. I assume they would always put some popular area in a pack to make sure it's desirable.

Naturally Ankama would want people to buy all the packs sooner or later, so needing several packs just to get the Astrub achievements isn't that weird. We already need to subscribe to get them. A new player first explores the free areas, then looks at what is needed next and buys that as soon as they can afford it. Of course there are always people who would rather buy a high-level pack immediately and ask for leeching, but isn't that already a problem?

I can't tell if it would be better than the subscription system or not but I think this suggested model has many merits. Of course if they were to choose this model instead, players who already have remaining subscription days would need to be compensated. Or would it be possible for both systems to exist at the same time?

0 -1
Lynn-Reiginleif|2016-12-27 02:56:37
And a new player will know which areas are the best exactly how...?
By talking to old players and checking out the forums.

Not only new players would be prone to buying areas they can't play in, this raises a lot more problems. Leeching would become a necessity for saving money, since people wouldn't want to buy low level areas; after all, why buy something that is dead content even as we speak? To level up legitimately, you have to buy areas that you will only use once in a while.
Actually, new players will either gradually buy DLC thus lessening leeching or they will talk to old players and resort to leeching... either way, nothing changes.
Buying DLC would be gradual and would be considered as investment for future contents.

That would also make people buy only the most popular areas, and ignore the others, because some areas are simply more worth our time than others. Some areas would become overcrowded, some areas would become dead.
Some areas are populated in the current system and some areas are dead also... nothing changes.

Treasure hunting would either die if you can't do it in areas you haven't bought, or be the best way to do anything if it just doesn't matter. A lot of missions would be hidden behind pay walls to complete. How many areas would you need to buy JUST to get the astrub achievements?
That is the point of buying DLC, if players wants to do more things, they will have to buy more DLCs.

This change would require so many changes it might as well be a new game.
Only the access model changes but all aspect of the game will remain the same.
0 -4

1- No, they won't check the forums. And since they will be initially locked out of areas, they won't have veteran players to talk to, or said players will encourage them to leech and save money.

2-No, they won't gradually buy content, because older players encourage leeching. They will leech to get to the "good areas", where the resources actually matter. Low level areas will fall out of relevancy, and thus, most of the game will be useless.

3-Yes, and that's part of my point. This won't make the areas worth anything. This will, in fact, result in them NEVER being used except by achievment hunters, and honestly, you'd have to be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hardcore to buy places like sidimote just for that. I love the game, and I wouldn't do it.

4-That would be the point of dlc IF there was a core game behind. Your suggestion is butchering the game and selling bits and pieces of it. The game was not designed for this. That might have worked in wakfu, because the areas are self contained, but it won't work in dofus. Also, you didn't suggest anything to adress either multi-area quests or treasure hunting, and that shows to me that your solution is just "throw more money at the game", which would be fine if some of those areas weren't mostly useless to begin with. Players would be forced to buy content that isn't useful just to do a quest, and that's really dumb.

5- No, it wouldn't. Again, for this to work, areas would need to be self contained. Dofus has a large continent which spans many areas, and most of it is based around your liberty to go everywhere if you have premium access. The game is not designed for your idea, and said idea would be much more inconvenient for players than the current system.

0 0
Score : 1727

i understand the damnd for f2p but how can this dlc model work??? some of us have been playing dofus for a long time and suddenly we shld pay extra to access maps? it doesn't make sense to me.
there are so many maps in dofus and we should pay 10 bucks for each ? no way. your dlc logic doesn't work for dofus because evrything is inter related. simply refusing to buy just one dlc would break the game.

0 0
Lynn-Reiginleif|2016-12-27 16:13:38
1- No, they won't check the forums. And since they will be initially locked out of areas, they won't have veteran players to talk to, or said players will encourage them to leech and save money.
New F2P players are locked out of P2P areas in the current P2P model, yet that does not stop them from talking to veteran players.

2-No, they won't gradually buy content, because older players encourage leeching. They will leech to get to the "good areas", where the resources actually matter. Low level areas will fall out of relevancy, and thus, most of the game will be useless.
First you say they can't talk to older players, now you say older players will encourage them to leech??? How can older players encourage them to leech if they can't talk to older players??? Can they talk to older players or not? You have to choose only one stand. Either way, both those stand does not change the current situation of new players either in the old P2P model and in DLC model. Nothing changes, only the access and payment model changes, the new player situation on leeching remains the same.

3-Yes, and that's part of my point. This won't make the areas worth anything. This will, in fact, result in them NEVER being used except by achievment hunters, and honestly, you'd have to be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hardcore to buy places like sidimote just for that. I love the game, and I wouldn't do it.
Sidimote will never be bought alone, it will be bought because it will be packaged together with other areas around its areas. While nobody will buy a Sidimote DLC, I'm sure everyone will want to buy "War City DLC" which will include all areas around bonta and brak (which includes Sidimote) and all dungeons associated with it for only $15.

4-That would be the point of dlc IF there was a core game behind. Your suggestion is butchering the game and selling bits and pieces of it. The game was not designed for this. That might have worked in wakfu, because the areas are self contained, but it won't work in dofus. Also, you didn't suggest anything to adress either multi-area quests or treasure hunting, and that shows to me that your solution is just "throw more money at the game", which would be fine if some of those areas weren't mostly useless to begin with. Players would be forced to buy content that isn't useful just to do a quest, and that's really dumb.
By buying Amakna DLC for example, you essentially have access to a lot of quest options in that area including atleast 4 dungeons. Once again, you do not buy a single area when you buy a DLC, you will be buying a group of areas or a region which has a lot of things to be done on their own.

5- No, it wouldn't. Again, for this to work, areas would need to be self contained. Dofus has a large continent which spans many areas, and most of it is based around your liberty to go everywhere if you have premium access. The game is not designed for your idea, and said idea would be much more inconvenient for players than the current system.
The old P2P model already demonstrated that the game can be self-contained between P2P and F2P areas, and further reinforced by the premium access house... The game can be programmed to be on a DLC model. Yes it is not designed to be in DLC model right now, but as the f2p vs p2p vs premium shows, it is possible.

Sarunojii|2016-12-27 17:25:02
i understand the damnd for f2p but how can this dlc model work??? some of us have been playing dofus for a long time and suddenly we shld pay extra to access maps? it doesn't make sense to me.
there are so many maps in dofus and we should pay 10 bucks for each ? no way. your dlc logic doesn't work for dofus because evrything is inter related. simply refusing to buy just one dlc would break the game.
We won't be affected, because the DLC model can coexist with the P2P model (Option A) thus allowing us to continue using the P2P model while those who prefer the DLC model can do so. DLC can also be done on a new separate dedicated server exclusive to DLC players so old players will not be affected (Option B ).

And maps are not sold for 10 bucks each, it will be sold for 10 bucks per region, and by my estimate there will only be around 10+ main DLC regions.
Free: Astrub and Incarnam
1. Astrub outlying area (Gobball and Sand dung, Almanax temple area).
2. Amakna
3. Sufokia
4. Dark Forest, Bworks and Crackler Mountain.
6. Dragoturkey and Koalak
7. Cania
8. Bonta and Brak
9. Moon Cake and Carrot Cake (+ Sakai and Mino)
10. Pandala
11. Otomai
12. Frigost 1-3
13. Each Dimension $5 each
14. Seasonal DLC
15. New Area DLC (Example: Ohwymi DLC)

Each DLC will cost from $5 to $20 each. So by my estimate you will be buying around $300 for the complete game, after which you do not need to pay for monthly subscription. And you do not need to buy all of them at once, you can buy the next area at your leisure. So you start out spending only $10 in 2-3 months time, unless you want to power grind and leech at higher areas as soon as possible, which is the current meta anyway in which case you only need to buy one low level area to level 50 and buy the Frigost DLC for the rest of your level, which will only cost you around $30+. Compare that to a new player buying years of P2P for $50+ each year.

And once new players reached their desired level, that is the point wherein they start investing on more DLC, one DLC at a time. SO players have the option to progress their area acquisition with their monetary freedom.
0 -3
Score : 158

By far one of the worst f2p model ideas I have ever heard, both for the players and Ankama as a company.

0 0

Compared to F2P ideas where everything is free with micro-transaction, I think this is better for both new generation of players and ultimately for the company. Take note, this will not effect the old P2P model, so we will still be getting the best of both world.

1 -4

1-Someone missed the OR.

2-Again, someone missed the OR. And there is a key difference here. In the current model, I can choose to grind and not be penalized over it. With your suggestion, I am penalized for buying low level areas that will be absolutely useless in the long run, while leechers are rewarded since the bought useful areas (such as sufokia). See now why this is a terribly stupid idea? Even if I don't want to leech, it is just economically better for me to do so, because paying 10 bucks for a useless dead area just to grind myself up and hone my skills is a waste of money in the long run. So this encourages leeching, and finishes killing any attempt of honest players grinding their way up to the top, which is already the slower method. We need to reward the honest players, not hinder them.

3- Most of amakna is currently useless. Most of the resources are not very useful, most of the areas are not optimal for leveling, so on and so forth. That's not to mention all the pointless side islands that you just go to when you want to get a dofus, like moon island and wabbit island. The older content is not good. The older sets pale in comparison to the new ones. The only purpose in doing this is achivements and grinding professions, and guess what? Both would require you to buy other areas, because AREAS ARE NOT SELF CONTAINED.

4-Too bad most of the important quests send you all over the place, huh? How many areas do you need JUST for the turquoise dofus quest? Which, btw, also requires investment in game, due to the mandatory idols. And this, once again, shows AREAS ARE NOT SELF CONTAINED. Quests send you all over the place to waste subscription time, and now they would do so to force players to buy the entire game, even though most of it is dead useless content.

5-I laughed so hard at this. So, astrub quests are self contained, huh? Please, make a new account, do the astrub quests and tell me how many of them are impossible without premium access. It's actually one of my biggest gripes with those quests, by the way. The astrub quests are designed to FORCE you out of the f2p area. So, your argument here already fell apart. One area would require you to buy another, to the point where you might as well just buy the entire game, and according to you, that would be what, 150 bucks? Now, remember that different countries have different currencies, and you are asking me, for instance, to drop ~600 bucks just so I can play the game. You know why subs work for me? Because I can pay just a fraction of that, and get EVERYTHING. Sure, over time it builds up, but look at your ridiculous comparison, and you'll see that "over time" means over 6 years, assuming you only use ONE account. Which by the way, I don't. Maybe you can drop your salary on so much dlc and be happy with it, but newsflash, this is an MMO. MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY THIS MUCH.

This is not good for the majority of the playerbase. This is not convenient for anyone except the people that could afford it IRL, which are few (again, in my country, you'd be asking me to drop almost a month of minimum wage to get access to the entire game). This goes against the design of the game, which is made so the world feels interconnected. This is not a good idea. It will not work on dofus. It might on wakfu, since most areas are islands and such, but this is still stupid here.

0 0

You are missing the points of DLC models,.
1. You are not supposed to buy ALL the DLC at once. You can buy each DLC one at a time. The DLC players will buy areas as they need it, which would be cheaper in the long run.
2. If a DLC player want to do a lot of quest, Dofus questline for example, they will have to buy all the necessary DLC to do so, that is the main selling point of DLC, if you want more things to do, then buy more areas.

The good thing about DLC are:
1, For the players: it would be cheaper in the long run, because in 10 years, you will be paying $500+ on the P2P model while you will only need to pay a total of $300 in the DLC model and you can play all those same contents for as long as you like.
2. For Ankama: they can finally get money from new generation of players who prefer the cheaper DLC models.

0 -4

I'm not supposed to buy everything at once, but since most of the major quests force you to go all over the place, you'll have to. See now why this is an issue? Most major quests will require you to buy 4+ areas just to finish a quest chain. The game is not designed for this, and that's why this is a TERRIBLE idea. Just to finish all the astrub quests, I'd have to buy cania, amakna, and whatever comes with astrub beach (I suppose tainela). And those are introductory quests, locked behind a 30$ pay wall, 10 of which will pretty much be wasted, and that's assuming they won't subdivide cania, given how massive it is. Again, see why this is stupid? When you have to pay that much just to finish what is essentially the tutorial area, we have something wrong. The current system is already dumb for requiring you to go out of the f2p zone to finish it, and your suggestion makes that issue affect EVERY area and every player.

For the player, it will be cheaper in the long run...but players will have to drop a ton of money at once, which means they will be put off by it.
For ankama, they will get less money in the long run, and do you REALLY think they don't get actual money? Do you think the ogrines bought with kamas are owned by ankama? No. Those ogrines are bought by players, with real cash, then sold for kamas. It's not like ankama is selling ogrines for kamas, because that has no value to them. They are selling ogrines for money, and we sell ogrines for kamas. They will not get anything better out of this. In fact, they will see a huge drop in gain, especially since otherwise, ogrines are not all that useful.

0 0

You are under the assumption that new DLC players would want to do everything ALL at once... No, new generation of players will be the ones who go thru contents one by one, buying DLC as they progress thru the game and hopefully not zip thru to frigost leeching. Have you ever seen a new player aim for a dofus quest on his first 3-6 months? When I was new, I did not even care to do cawwot dofus quest until about a year or two. The only ones who will have problem doing dofus quest would be old players who already know how to get dofuses and are geared and ready to do so, not new players. And old players can still have the option of wasting money on subscription model, it will not be removed with the addition of the DLC model.

And again, this is not about ogrine sale, DLC would also be cash and ogrine purchase. DLC players do not need to buy all DLC all at once, they could start with 2-4 DLC and play those contents for a year or so. And Ankama will not lose out on anything because just like you, old players would not want the DLC model because you think it is dumb. Ankama can keep milking you with p2p model. Ankama will only gain additional money from those who do not like p2p model and would prefer the DLC model.

0 -4
Score : 3913

Let's just say this model will probably be totally fine for a playstyle Gunner prefers. If such a model existed personally I would buy the whole lot in one go and then start exploring.

Also I read through this thread but what do you plan to do with equipment? Players that haven't bought a region can't use equipments crafted mainly from that region's resources or with that region's theme such as Koutoulou/Meno equipment reserved only for those that bought Underwater Sufokia? Because if what I'm saying is what you have in mind, then it's pretty much the same as putting restrictions on the current game to force players to explore the game at a slower pace and take in as much of an area before moving on to another.

I believe when it comes to getting leeched to high level is that not all the low and mid level content is boring or difficult, some just take an awful long time and get rewards that a lot of people find not worth their time. It seems the value of time has increased since the "old days" that a lot of veteran players talk about when they reminisce. Time hold greater value for me too, as I remember back in 2008 spending a whole hour just on one quest felt like an accomplishment, now it just feels like a waste because there are easier ways to do it and if I do it the hard way it just feels not worth it.

0 0
Respond to this thread