FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Little Things: Proposals to pacify aggro monsters in order to speed up gameplay

By Nazarbayev - SUBSCRIBER - August 22, 2017, 09:58:56
AnkaTracker

I will be making several suggestions I call "Little Things", which I hope will clean up irregularities and annoyances in the game and make it more attractive to new players - something we desperately need. I have no plans to debate these issues, only to put the ideas out there for the review of the community, mods and devs.

Players often complain about the waste of time required to negotiate through aggro areas, especially when moving a whole team through at one time. Here are two options that could be used to speed up gameplay in such places:

1) The Pac-Man Approach
As the name suggest, this idea comes from the beloved classic arcade game, Pac-Man, with which almost everybody should already be familiar. In that game, there are aggressive ghosts that kill Pac-Man if they get too close; however, if Pac-Man eats a cherry, he becomes invincible for a period, during which the ghosts run from him. In effect, if a player wins a battle in a territory with aggro monsters, all members of the team would be immune to attacks from aggro monsters, thus coming near them would not initiate a fight, as if they were not aggro at all. I would suggest a period of a minute for each member of a mob following a successful fight (e.g. 1 aggro monster = 1 minute... 6 aggro monsters = 6 minutes), which should be enough time to allow a team to move through most areas to their destination, assuming larger groups will take on larger mobs.

2) The Conqueror Method
Each area with aggro monsters has an achievement for completion of challenges with each type of monster that is found in that area, often with one or two in an associated dungeon (Wild Canyon has Cave Gobball and Gobkool in Koolich, Tears of Ouronigride has Fumaroller and Mofette in Obsidemon, Winter Gardens has Thermite in Nileza, etc.). Therefore, if a player has received the achievement for completing a challenge against all of an area's aggro monsters, he has proven himself, and in a cosplay mentality, is a conqueror, so those aggro monsters would be afraid of attacking him. In areas with dungeons, this method could even be linked to having completed the dungeon itself, thus showing all minions of the keeper that this player has mastered the area.

Whatever method is chosen, even eliminating aggro monsters altogether, know that dancing around maps is not fun for players, especially those with limited time (remember that a lot of us older players work and have family responsibilities); therefore, allowing players some method to skip past a lot of time wasted in unwanted fights would definitely help Ankama to retain more clients.

I thank everybody for their consideration, and hope they find these ideas reasonable.

0 0
First Ankama intervention

Sorry I couldn't discuss it sooner, but here are our plans for the Aggro system. The changes discussed in this Devblog will be effective as soon as Update 2.45 releases.

See message in context
Reactions 12
Score : -624

But, on the other hand, the purpose of mobs' aggro-system existence in game is self-explicable: thus, treasure hunts which contain clues situated in areas with aggressive mobs give quadruple chest reward, and other popular quests implied, like Rapture of the Deep (collecting rum bottles in Merkaptan's quarters).

0 0
Score : 1543

Those are two specific issues, to which solutions could be found, and hardly worth pushing away so many players who are frustrated by the huge waste of time moving through such areas. Sufokia also has non-aggro areas with quite difficult monsters, ones which buff each other in such ways as to make fights even more challenging, and there are such beasts in Stontusk too. Anyway, all players should hardly need to suffer for a couple of minor quest structures. Treasure chests could randomly be made harder, or two could randomly spawn instead of one, which could determine the number of chests won at the end of the fight. Or, idols could be used to increase drop rates of better chests with more contents. As well, perhaps during active quests like Rapture, monsters would be aggro, but not at other times, or if the quest was made inactive. There are definitely easy workarounds that would make everybody's life a bit more enjoyable.

0 0
Score : 15

I always felt like this should have been an automatic privilege for being level 200. You reach level 200 monsters see you're a master and choose to avoid you.

0 -1
Score : 25812

Nazarbayev
1) The Pac-Man Approach
As the name suggest, this idea comes from the beloved classic arcade game, Pac-Man, with which almost everybody should already be familiar. In that game, there are aggressive ghosts that kill Pac-Man if they get too close; however, if Pac-Man eats a cherry, he becomes invincible for a period, during which the ghosts run from him. In effect, if a player wins a battle in a territory with aggro monsters, all members of the team would be immune to attacks from aggro monsters, thus coming near them would not initiate a fight, as if they were not aggro at all. I would suggest a period of a minute for each member of a mob following a successful fight (e.g. 1 aggro monster = 1 minute... 6 aggro monsters = 6 minutes), which should be enough time to allow a team to move through most areas to their destination, assuming larger groups will take on larger mobs.

Pacman does not eat monsters to become invincible, he eats a power-up to become invincible. To truly be a Pacman approach, there should be some sort of item/power-up which when consumed will make you invincible to aggroe for a short period of time.

Wabbit Repellant (Level 60 Consumable Potion)
Crafted by Level 60 Alchemist
Recipe:
-Wabbit Bone
-Wabbit Skin
-Wabbit Ears
-Wabbit Paw
-10 Magical Powder
-Repellant

Disable wabbit family aggroe for 30 minutes.

2) The Conqueror Method
Each area with aggro monsters has an achievement for completion of challenges with each type of monster that is found in that area, often with one or two in an associated dungeon (Wild Canyon has Cave Gobball and Gobkool in Koolich, Tears of Ouronigride has Fumaroller and Mofette in Obsidemon, Winter Gardens has Thermite in Nileza, etc.). Therefore, if a player has received the achievement for completing a challenge against all of an area's aggro monsters, he has proven himself, and in a cosplay mentality, is a conqueror, so those aggro monsters would be afraid of attacking him. In areas with dungeons, this method could even be linked to having completed the dungeon itself, thus showing all minions of the keeper that this player has mastered the area.

Problem is, it will not make any roleplay sense because even if you accomplished all achievement in killing a monster family, monsters do not have intelligence to realize that you have conquered their family. Even if you kill a thousand bulls, snakes or dogs, that will not guarantee that bulls, snakes or dogs will not attack you, in fact if monsters are intelligent enough to recognize the killer of their family members, they might actually aggroe you for revenge.

Alternative:
Transformation/Equipment that cancels aggroe
Example:
Wa Wabbit Seal (Immunity Shield)
Crafted by Level 60 Shieldmaker
When worn, these shields cancels aggroe from wabbit family because you will be perceived as a member of their family.

Whatever method is chosen, even eliminating aggro monsters altogether, know that dancing around maps is not fun for players, especially those with limited time (remember that a lot of us older players work and have family responsibilities); therefore, allowing players some method to skip past a lot of time wasted in unwanted fights would definitely help Ankama to retain more clients.

I thank everybody for their consideration, and hope they find these ideas reasonable.

Just say NO. If you have limited time, and you find aggroe monsters to be irritating. then do not play on aggroe maps. There are plenty of non-aggroe areas that you can play on. Play on aggroe maps when you have the time and the patience to do so. I also have a family and a full time job, but I don't mind aggroe mobs at all. It's all part of the challenge factor. If I want extra challenge and have the time, I go for aggroe maps, when I am busy, I play on non-aggroe maps. Problem solved.

0 -1
Score : -5289

When you only play alone against small mobs on just one account, agro mobs don't bother you much, I agree with you, gunner.
But try more accounts at the same time, and try to have a relatively set time available for dofus, and try having a big group with you. Trust us, those who have experienced the game this way: it is not fun at all.
Like the author of the thread said, for those very few specific cases where agro mobs mean something for quests or whatever, solutions can be found. As they are now, agro mobs are just a nuisance in most cases, they just make players loose time with no reward. I'd rather spend that time with a brand new player doing Kardonim or something like I just did, it is less boring and more rewarding.

2 -5
Score : 25812

Multi-account and group? You can just use one account and teleport whole group to the dungeon entrance. Problem solved.

1 -2
Score : -5289

Bump! tongue

Any news if Ankama is considering of removing agro areas?
or at least making some quests/ consumables that would remove (temporarily) the agro?

2 -4

Sorry I couldn't discuss it sooner, but here are our plans for the Aggro system. The changes discussed in this Devblog will be effective as soon as Update 2.45 releases.

Respond to this thread