FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

End Dofus Touch, and Create an Android Compatible Cross-platform Version of Dofus

By Nazarbayev - SUBSCRIBER - February 20, 2020, 20:24:38

There is absolutely no reason to have Dofus Touch, because the regular version of Dofus works fine on pad computers running Windows 10. As somebody who prefers the retro feel of Dofus Touch, especially the old Astrub, this is not easy for me to recommend. However, as cross-platform games (I just added it to Wikipedia's list, something the marketing team should have done long ago), which allow players to access their accounts on any platform grow (the reason I, a formerly exclusive Linux user, started to play Dofus in the first place - there was no other MMO available all those years ago), Android must be given the same place as desktop systems. Whereas, we can access our own accounts in Dofus Touch, we must use wholly different characters. Even if playing on mobile devices almost totally limits us to single-account play, I cannot understand why we should work building and xp-ing extra characters. I already have four subscribed accounts with 23 characters, most of which are high level. Further, the Dofus Touch interface is no better than the regular interface as used on a win10 pad computer. Ankama would really have more of us on mobile as well as desktop, if we could only use the same characters. Ankama would be the big winner in this consolidation.

As well, if the devs want to give us back the old Astrub, with perhaps some attractive inclusions from the current design and color palette, I for one would be happy. Anyway, it could do with a river and some more seaside features in order to approximate the anime from Kerub's Treasures.

Finally, would it not be beneficial to fold in the best features from Wakfu, and finally end support for that game? This would help Ankama focus its efforts on creating the best possible, most accessible Dofus, which is still the company's best offering.

7 0
Reactions 14
Score : 6565

This doesn't make sense because Dofus Touch is way more popular than regular Dofus. It really sounds like you're calling for it to be discontinued in order to make regular Dofus the main version, but that's backwards considering the actual state of affairs. I'm having trouble following your logic.

2 -4
Score : 2156

There is no need for a separate game. The cross-platform benefits would bring more players to both platforms, and allow them to both solo play on their mobile and multi-log on the desktop. Dofus Touch would basically be entirely compatible with the desktop version of Dofus. I am not sure you read me correctly. I said meant "end it as a separate game." There is no need for a separate game just for Android.

1 0
Score : -127

Have to agree with the OP, Currently we see more and more versions of Dofus, such as the new Heroic server but hardly any progress on the main game. I tried Dofus touch and loved it but the biggest turn off was that I couldn't use my main on it and that it had no updates. While it may be popular now how much more popular would it be if it worked with main game servers?

Simply transfer everyone's accounts from Dofus touch to echo or french depending on language. Then we get fully active Echo again, with fresh life blood. Not to mention the benefits from this! Imagine being able to train a boring profession while eating lunch. Or being able to do kolossium from the comfort of bed??

This should of been a thing ages ago. As for the heroic servers merge them together under 1 version the Thanatena server version. Then you have less servers to worry about and can focus resources on making those servers you have left even better.

0 0
Score : 6565

I apologize for not giving enough context.

Some quick history: Dofus Touch is more or less a fork off of regular Dofus. Sorry to techy people if this isn't the best use of "fork" but bear with me.

They started developing Dofus Touch with the base version being the Wabbit revamp, or something close to there. By the time they got Touch into beta, regular Dofus had already updated a bunch. So, the Touch developers made a conscious, and at the time disappointing, decision to keep the versions separate and provide different updates to Dofus Touch.

Dofus Touch then proceeded to adopt many assets and design changes from regular Dofus, but not everything. They still have old style spell levels I think, and old style professions. But the point is that the two versions are completely different. "Compatibility" between the two versions does not exist, and both would need to be heavily modified and big compromises made to make them compatible. To be frank I don't think anyone from either game would be interested in that, once the details are revealed.

So, in other words, when you call for mergers like this you're calling for one entire version of the game to be deleted in favor of the other. The Touch servers are four years old, well developed, and also have all sorts of microtransactions. They make accusations of regular Dofus being "pay to win" look ridiculous.

I really don't want a different game, with a different economic model, merged into Echo which we've all been collectively working on for literally 15 years in some form or another. And I don't want 14 of my personal years of investment modified in any way to be compromised to fit in Dofus Touch.

I'm sure Touch players who have spent plenty of their real money to play that gamr would not appreciate a change to their economic model that more matches regular Dofus. And literally nobody is clamoring for mobile game style microtransactions in regular Dofus as far as I can tell.

I'd love to be able to access Echo through the Dofus Touch client, though that's not what's being suggested here. And again, sorry if I'm misinterpreting your intent OP. I struggle to see a way to make that work without substantial modifications to one or both versions, though.

0 0

I get what you are saying, but the combined version might be a necessity anyway. Check out this video on YouTube, done by an expert gamer, who talks about Dofus from a 15 year perspective.

0 0
Score : 134

This is an interesting point that should be a part of a much bigger discussion in my opinion.

Merging different games is a weird concept, even if the games appear to be similar (touch and PC versions are different games painted with the same paint at this point) but in this case could probably be somewhat done if they made a HUGE technological effort to do so. The bigger issue would be not losing players who have spent a lot of money on features that may be removed or changed during the merger to make the money and time investments void.

In regards to closing an entirely different game, like "Wakfu", that has the exact same concept as "Dofus" but not enough similarities to merge properly at all... I can't imagine that being received well by "Wakfu" players.

If anything this points me to the bigger discussion I mentioned at the start. Why is Ankama always shooting themselves in the foot? They have been releasing games and trying to expand for a very long time, which is great. "Islands of Wakfu" was cool, it expanded into new platforms that the company had no reach in before. But then came the "Wakfu" for the PC. Who was it made for? Well... the people who were already playing "Dofus" or would have been interested in it anyway so... They just made a new game to cannibalize their own player-base i guess and essentially spend money (to develop a game) to earn less money (since they now need to support two games instead of one while not gaining any new players). They had, in my opinion, a similar misstep with "Dofus arena" as well a bit before this. Then there was the "Krosmaster arena". Why was it made as an online game? (as far as i know it's now a board game but i have no clue if the online variant still exists). All it did as an online game was waste their development time and split the same player base more since it didn't appeal to anyone outside of their current players (the board game on the other hand could be a good idea, since it's a different medium and has a different appeal, it could have been just that and not waste their dev time). And now they are working on something new and exciting, a brand new project, "Waven" (the sarcasm is so thick it's palpable)... From the trailer/teaser it looks like another strategy-MMO (when I tried the alpha it was French only and i didn't bother when i couldn't understand anything). Why exactly are they making ANOTHER game that doesn't appeal to any new players? Why do they hate their player-base and making money in general?  You end up having to support the old game and the new one because naturally players don't want to just let go of the thousands of hours and dollars spent in the old one and the new one barely has any population in it. I don't understand their decision to make another game that only makes them compete with themselves.

Back to the original point of this thread, in my opinion, they will have to merge the games into one somehow and hope they do a good enough job that players will stay and new ones will come in. If they don't, the only future I see for the company is not having enough population to keep their infinite number of strategy turn based MMOs afloat and crumbling on itself when every single one of them starts bleeding money.

1 0

Exactly. And, not just players have noticed this. It is the core of the criticism in the above-linked video, made by a reviewer.

I know the transition would not be easy. However, Ankama could certainly give for whatever they take. I am sure some compensation could make disgruntled players happy. A limited cosmetic item or set could certainly help, or comp days - just something.

The core of Dofus, the chess-like strategy is why we continue to play, and so the key is to bring us together. I have always joked that our few immature a-holes are still more intelligent than those playing any other game.^^ Players will understand, and get over any inconveniences (I lost a lot when Wakfu Raiders collapsed, even suggesting they drop it in public domain, but I survived).

1 0
Score : 660

While I agree, I do think Touch and Regular could co-exist. Create "Dofus 2" on iOS and Android being exactly the same as Regular Dofus. Don't remove Dofus Touch. Let the guys of Touch implement the interface on Dofus 2, then return to Touch. 

Problem is, I'm afraid Touch and 2 uses a different engine for a reason. If it would be that easy to just enable regular on mobile, we would have it by now.

But well, yeah, I would like dofus on mobile, and I'm not playing touch. Not for me.

0 0

I am familiar with the interface. I am a casual Dofus Touch player, while my youngest plays it more often, mostly for the exploration value - for a five-year-old, it is quite a pretty place. Additionally, as stated above, I both prefer the old places and system. However, it splits the population, which, as seen in the past, can only end in heartache for us all. Further, I see no reason why the crossover could not be easily worked out. Quite frankly, I prefer running Dofus on a win10 pad to using the Dofus Touch interface. Adobe Air, the basis for Dofus, is already compatible with android, so there really is no reason Dofus could not be ported to that OS with minimal trouble. Indeed, I wonder at why Dofus Touch was ever made as a separate game. Did the devs never try running Dofus on a pad with the [then] current interface? For years,  I have used my little pads to run extra chars when needed.

The single biggest issue is the equipment differences. Indeed, what we receive as veteran rewards can be bought in the Dofus Touch shop interface. There will be some heartache. However, as I stated above, Ankama could easily compensate Dofus Touch players for any inconvenience.

I think micro payments would even be good for long-term players like myself. I do not need to pay to sub, as I am a pretty effective kama earner. However, I like to throw Ankama a bone every now and then, so I buy limited items. Ankama merely needs to make more items available only through cash payments, like the al Howin Borbat was. Indeed, despite having enough kamas to buy the Masq set, I used real money. The not paying to sub is more of an ego issue.^^

0 0

As an addendum, I wanted to add more to my previous response concerning Chrome OS. With Android having the status of most popular OS worldwide, and Google promising to enhance hardware compatibility and ensure that all Android Apps are compatible, Chrome OS looks like it may overtake Windows in the laptop market, especially because about 70% of the U.S. education market has been taken by Chromebooks, which may have 5% of the overall market this year. Its growth seems to be inevitable. More info is available here on the Chrome OS Wiki. Basically, the rise in non-mobile use of this Android based system means that the single-account model of Dofus Touch will have to be eliminated anyway. So as discussed in previous comments, Ankama should take the best aspects of Dofus Touch, such as the faster loading time, and prepare for a merger with desktop Dofus.

0 0
Score : 1

Hey .I got an idea (why can't we just make dofus the pc version a game on Android/iOS that way we have cross platform and leave dofus touch for those who still wanna play it

0 0
Respond to this thread