FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Why doesn't dofus add NFT ?

By Willine94#3692 - FORMER SUBSCRIBER - September 12, 2021, 13:06:42

Currently all the nft games that come out are clearly crap and not at the level of real games like dofus.
I think NFTs would be a plus and would grab the world's attention.

Of course that would bring more bot, which is a problem never solved but it would give Dofus a second breath.

In addition, you don't have to make a decentralized blockchain, you can do NFTs on a private channel to keep control (after all a video game must have control over its economy).

I think applying NFTs to Wakfu would also be a plus, but that's another topic.

What do you think ?

5 -19
Reactions 17
Score : 144

I am a believer of digital property ownership. In the past, I have also suggested a similar concept wherein our account becomes our property that we can pass down to our offspring or sold to others. I am still hoping that Ankama would consider it. 

NFT;s... Supported +1

3 -7
Score : 7626

...why though? I don't understand the benefit to anyone here. What does this really add?

3 0
Score : 144

Because there are people who wants the game to not just be for fun/enjoyment but to also be an actual investment and have real monetary value to the player who invested time and effort into the game. NFT games can be a valid way to earn a living as long as you dedicate time and effort into it. What could be better than earning while enjoying Dofus. The earning might not be that much most of the time but it is better than nothing.

2 -5
Score : 496

I see big potential in here. Always better to have actual ownership of "something" rather than not smile

4 -7
Score : -37

Yes they should add an NFT marketplace and they can earn a fee from every transaction. Plus every player that plays the game since years like me will be highly rewarded for the time spent into the game.

Ankama please move the blockchain which is the future

0 -6
Score : 496

+1
I would love that to happen. I believe it would be beneficial both for us, players, and for Ankama. It would also attract more players to the game! Plus it's always good to be an actual owner of something smile

0 -5
Score : 1043

Disagree, NFTs are simply a receipt of ownership, items can already be traded between players within the game.

These tokens would not even solve any of the problems of actual ownership because the game is operated by Ankama. They're a waste of energy that don't even begin to do what they set out to do.

Please do not add NFTs to Dofus.

Edit to respond to the replies, since I don't seem to be able to add something in the thread:

InuzukaKiba#6020|2022-01-19 07:00:06
"Gamers would rather play games that offer real reward aside from entertainment values." Do you have a source for that? This is certainly not a universal opinion.

Here's a really good article that summarizes the negative reactions that recent high-profile gaming NFT announcements have gotten, and how in some cases major developers have backtracked on plans to introduce them:
https://www.ft.com/content/a0defed4-60d8-4221-8abc-4e70245c1726

In addition to this, building a game for NFTs shapes the game around those monetization schemes in fundamental ways that I don't don't think are beneficial for players. Here's a good thread discussing some of those aspects of game design: https://twitter.com/maxnichols/status/1454898935428837378

Dofus' design (as a subscription MMO) often draws out how long it takes to accomplish things in order to justify a subscription. Other games that use "season passes" use the threat of time exclusivity to get players to keep logging in. While I think there are negative aspects to making things take a long time to do I still strongly prefer a subscription model to season passes, gatcha, and "play to earn" monetization.
5 -1
Score : 7626

Exactly this. "Owning" an NFT means nothing, because Ankama still owns the asset.

It's already the case that when you buy an item from the shop, you get a receipt with a unique confirmation number. It's no different from buying whatever set they have on sale for ogrines, a virtual currency whose value is largely dictated by the public, in a given week. I fail to understand the desire for that number to be indexed onto the blockchain. You can also pay an arm and a leg for physical merch from their shop, and then you'll have something tangible to your name as opposed to an image. And Opensea doesn't take a cut of the sale.

While NFT's and certain cryptocurrencies are generally not as energy intensive as others, why should Ankama put time towards this when there is so much to be done in the game as it is now? And why risk the bad press when they have a movie out, and a floor-to-ceiling redesign for their flagship title in the pipeline? Maybe the future is web3 and crypto, but not in its current state. Not every game company needs to participate.

3 0
Score : 348

How about no.

8 0
Score : -27

I like that idea. Do not understand why there are like 10 dislikes ;(

0 -3
Score : 178

Gunnerwolfang#2406|2021-09-14 13:04:03
Because there are people who wants the game to not just be for fun/enjoyment but to also be an actual investment and have real monetary value to the player who invested time and effort into the game. NFT games can be a valid way to earn a living as long as you dedicate time and effort into it. What could be better than earning while enjoying Dofus. The earning might not be that much most of the time but it is better than nothing.

I asked myself the same question few months ago. "Why Dofus isn't blockchain and NFT game?" "It is game simple enough to code it as a P2E game" and from my over 10 years Dofus player perspective i see changes arn't  strong point of producer. That's why i tried Axie Infinity as casual player monetizing time i spend to play ..
0 -2
Score : 2088

Ankama supporting NFT's would mean them giving away their assets and 2D visual artwork to a third party which in a sense would contradict their own terms of service.
There is also a large grey area with NFTs as well, where individual artist's have seen their artworks stolen online and these 'tokens' are part of what is encouraging it. Especially with digital artwork and other media.
In addition, NFTs also trade in using cryptocurrency which wastes an equivalent to a countries worth of electricity for 24 hours in only an hour. In order to 'mine' the digital currency using mutiple computers, therefore it is not very environmentally friendly.

3 0
Respond to this thread