FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Guild Buying/Selling

By DimBobble September 16, 2007, 02:31:15

All right, so I had this idea a week ago!

It's tricky business buying or selling a guild, because, I mean, can you really trust that person!?

This is where you come in Ankama!

Create some kind of a parchment that the leader of the guild would have in his/her possession and could trade, drop, or destroy at any time! That way you could put the parchment down in the trade box, and there would be no scamming!

Let me know what you think everyone!

• Dim
0 0
Reactions 10
Score : 658

I have seen this suggested at least once a month so far

0 0
Score : 428

I don't think it would be too ethical to sell a guild, because you will be (in some way) selling your guildmates.
Also if you buy a pre-made guild you don't get to choose the name nor the logo.

0 0
Score : 627

Okay.....

Yea, basically, but if you have a guild that you're tired of, or that has fallen apart, then it'll work out.

You can't blow holes in this ^^

0 0
Score : 5172

I thought there was actually an official rule against the sale of guilds?

0 0
Score : 813
Citation
DimBobble :
Okay.....

Yea, basically, but if you have a guild that you're tired of, or that has fallen apart, then it'll work out.

You can't blow holes in this ^^

I can. If it was easy to sell a guild then there is no incentive to really try to make it work.

When you start a guild you make a commitment to the people that join your guild. You don't own a guild you lead it. It belongs to all the members of the guild.

A guild takes two things to make it work. First is a good leader. You saying "a guild that you're tired of" shows that you have no business starting a guild in the first place. Someone who would become "tired" of a guild is not a leader. They have no idea of the hard work and commitment it takes to make a guild successful. It's like a 14 year old girl who "thinks" they want to get pregnant and have a baby because they enjoy playing with dolls. They don't realize the amount of work involved, the amount of commitment it takes to be a mother. You can not sell a guild just like you can not sell a baby because you are tired of playing with it. A leader is someone who does not give up in the face of adversity. Someone who does not just walk away from the commitment they have made to their members because they don't feel like "playing" leader anymore.

The second, and more important thing it takes to make a guild work, is it's members. You could be Winston Churchhill but with out good members it makes no difference how good a leader you are you don't have a guild. A guild is not an item that is possessed. It's a dynamic living thing that is built by it's members and as such it belongs, if you will, to it's members. If you have scammers in your guild, your guild will become known as a scamming guild. If you have nice, helpful people in your guild, it will become known as a nice, helpful guild. A guild is only as good as it's members. Members might not put as much time into dealing with problems and drama as the leader but it's their individual contribution and commitment to the guild as a whole that defines and makes a guild what it is. Guild members have to believe in it's leader and it's other members and because of this the guild belongs to them. (the leader is a member too)

There is a reason most guilds never make it to level 20. Even those guilds you see that fly in out of nowhere like a whirl wind with a zillion uber level members don't generally last long. Either the leader fails as a leader or the members fail as members. Guilds that die, deserve to die. This is how it should be.

A great guild like Heaven Knights would not be what it is today without great leadership and great members. HK's leader has changed over time but it's never been sold. A great leader understands that he or she does not own the guild, that there were commitments made to each and every member when they were asked to join and that they deserve better than having that commitment sold to the highest bidder. They find a member willing to take on that commitment and transfer power of leadership to that person. Someone worthy of the members in taking on the role of leader.

A guildalogem is an item to be possessed, bought, sold or traded. It's also a teacher. It can teach you an important lesson if you start a guild and fail. That you should think long and hard about jumping into something before you do it just because leading a guild sounds like a "cool" thing to do, or it might cost you in the long run. Making it possible to sell a guild would reduce guilds to nothing more than the stone used to start them. Cold, hard, rough and worthless.

Shreloche
Leader of Sarboab Guild Rosal.
0 0
Score : 627

I totally agree with you ^^ A guild is a commitment, and trust me, I'm not the kind of person to give up, and I'm not doing this for me. Maybe people do need to learn that lesson, but I'm not sure ^^ Thanks for the input :p

0 0
Score : 813
Citation
DimBobble :
I totally agree with you ^^ A guild is a commitment, and trust me, I'm not the kind of person to give up, and I'm not doing this for me. Maybe people do need to learn that lesson, but I'm not sure ^^ Thanks for the input :p

Sure biggrin

I went off on a bit of a RP tangent there ^.^
0 0
Score : 108

I agree with you 100%. If you want to go so low as to sell your friends you shouldn't have made the decision to start a guild in the first place.

~TofuMasterX
Member of Rosal guild Sarboab and previous leader of Seriane Kerm

0 0
Score : 206
Citation
zomf :
I agree with you 100%. If you want to go so low as to sell your friends you shouldn't have made the decision to start a guild in the first place.

~TofuMasterX
Member of Rosal guild Sarboab and previous leader of Seriane Kerm

Selling your friends! Thats like slavery!
~Eccodium
Member of Rosal guild Sarboab
0 0
Score : 768

LouCypher : If ever there was a post that needs to be a sticky, then this is it!!

You have summed up exactly how I feel about guilds, leaders and members.

A guild is the sum of it's membership - no more and no less.
As a member of a guild, you wear the guild sign above your name. You represent every member in that guild, and everything you do reflects on others within it.

The leader is just that - a leader:

• the guiding hand;
  • the one that takes the problems of others and helps to sort things out;
  • the one that is not necessarily the highest member of the guild (as problems and information uses up the time instead);
  • the one who knows the game the best (or knows someone that does, or where to find the answers).

Leadership is tough, but can be rewarding. No-one told you to make a guild, you committed yourself.

A guild can't be sold safely, and shouldn't be sold. You sell the name (whether the reputation be good or bad) which sticks with it, regardless who owns it.

If it fails, then it's bad leadership - pick yourself up and move on. If you want rid of it, inform your members first (maybe someone else would like a try). If there are no takers, or everyone has left, and you wish to join another guild, make a character, transfer rights over to it, then delete that character! Guild gone. Learn the lesson.

Crwyddn-
Leader of Tropical Storm, Rushu
0 0
Respond to this thread