By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Ankama should sell Dofus to another company

By Mintaka-Zero March 25, 2008, 17:00:14

I've been playing this game since roughly a week after Rushu opened. I've been here for the few good times, and the many many bad ones. It's been a great run and I must say I've grown quite attached to my accomplishments which came from the vast amount of time I invested.

But...

Here I am, years later, facing the same problems and then some that I have dealt with since the beginning. This game has serious potential, but after so long it's become very apparent that the people working at Ankama Games just don't have what it takes to run with it. I'm not certain where or when the company lost the will to improve their product, I just know with all bugs, glitches, and countless problems galore that have existed since the game's birth they have in fact given up on quality assurance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they've never made progress but it's always a 1 step forward and 2 steps back kind of deal. I can't even recall the last time a major update was beneficial the the entire player base or something the game was in dire need of. It just seems like the more time passes the more the updates are all show and no substance just to make everything seem flashy in hopes of attracting new customers that will only last a month or two whilst leaving their loyal customers out in the cold.

Please Ankama Games, hear my plea. Either sell the game to someone responsible or hire people that will finish the job your current employees fail to do.

0 0
Reactions 15
Score : 847
  • *signing that petition*
0 0
Score : 1120

I don't agree with this. Ankama has shown that they do care about Dofus, and are trying to make it better. They don't always get it right, but they have been trying to make significant changes to game play and fix long standing issues. For example, the recent perc and pvp system overhaul. Then there's the whole pandala and otomai islands, which brought many new things to the game.

I think the main problem is, that Dofus started off as something really different, and they've been basically adding to the same structure as they started off with, and if you take a look at alpha pictures, you'd see how far it's come. Not saying they shouldn't fix bugs, but with a game this complicated, and has evolved as much as it has. It's really difficult, to get what seems like a simple bug, out of the game.

Now I have alot of issues with how things haven't changed, or have changed, but I think it's far from true that Ankama doesn't care about Dofus. I mean, it's where they beta test all their ideas for Wakfu, so they have to care about it :p

0 0
Score : 345

Ankama does not care. They just add one meaningless pile of crap after another in an attempt to avoid the real issues and I as a long-time paying customer am fed up with it. As I said in my first post, they do make some progress, but consistently throwing ideas into the game that are half assed and never looking at them again shows a severe lack of work ethic and motivation on their part. I'll use your example for percs and PvP. Think of all the funds and work hours they wasted on something so trivial, then think of everything wrong with Dofus that could've been corrected instead.

Complicated? No, they were past that excuse after the first week. If they would at least hire someone with a college education in programming we would see some real changes happening in the right direction. Although my knowledge of scripting is minimal at best, I know it should never take someone years to correct a few coding errors. Especially not in something as basic as ActionScript.

0 0
Score : 1120

PvP and percs are not trivial. That is really an opinion, not a fact. I'm a long time haying customer too, and I really can't say Ankama doesn't care. They mess up alot, sure, and it's easy to look over alot of stuff they have improved and changed. Like, balancing of the classes. It's much better now, then in the beginning, well except maybe for osas. They also added the mining cart system, which was a great addition. The mount system. It could be expanded more, but it's a good first implementation. Reset dungeon. Higher level areas to level. Sets for pretty much every build. They probably just aren't getting to the things you want, and if you want to complain about that, then go for it, but Is till wouldn't say Ankama doesn't care.

Also it is very complicated. As you said, your knowledge of action script is minimal, so it's okay that you don't understand how complicated it is. Also even WoW has long standing issues that don't get fixed, and they're a huge company. Just because a bug seems simple and obvious, doesn't mean it is simple to fix. Alot of times, when you try to fix something, something else breaks. Not to say they should keep on trying, and there are some bugs that have annoyed me for years.

0 0
Score : 1312

I would agree with this. However, the last MMPOG I played got sold to the Chinese. OMG, it so went downhill after that. No one is worse than them and I begged to prayed to get the original owners back. While it is true that Ankama seems to waste a lot of development time on what the players consider to be mostly worthless things, I continue to hope that some day they will fix what is wrong and stop wasting our time and money

0 0
Score : 46

I agree to this and if they were to sell it to a company then the best pick would be Blizzard.

0 0
Score : 973

LOL @ Selling to Blizzard tongue

In terms of bugs I disagree. At least, recently. They've dropped the lag a pretty reasonable amount, though it does still need some work. They've had a fair pop at the bugged square thing, though I do still encounter it more than I'm happy with I'm no longer quitting fights because me and the monsters were separated by a thick wall of bugged squares. It took them too long, but they've gone somewhere with it.

What bothers me is the potential aspect. The menus could be so much more versatile. Character creation could be so much more interesting. The class sets could be worth a shit. Summons could have a worthwhile control interface (I liked the one geared towards different modes such as defence and attack, for example). The guild menu could contain far more data than it does. There could be some pretty epic replayability for 200s. House menus are too limited. Guild permissions are flawed. Reset is too hard for the levels it's targeted at. The list goes on pretty much forever. So much potential, such basic stuff implemented.

The other thing that irks me is communication to and treatment of the players. This is a biggie for me.
I have a friend who has been banned five times. Five times. Every single time he sends in a message appealing his case, every single time his account is investigated and every single time he is found to be involved with no botting or macroing nor any selling of kamas, and his account is unbanned. So why is he getting banned? He lives in China!. His IP is thus associated with kama selling and the acts which make this possible.
And how about the guy whose university network was recently banned, but he's not getting a refund because he can log in from another IP? Fan-fucking-tastic. He's paying for a year subscription and he gets to use it for those few weeks he's at home on the holidays. Marvelous.

For the most part Mintaka is right. Ankama need to pay a little more attention to Dofus or sell it to someone more familiar with game design. Dofus' potential is amazing. It's achievements are not.

0 0
Score : 7

They are amazing, just to keep their loyal customers they need to give out information better. Such as, look at the test server Topic, they most likely lost all players from the U.S. and Canada!... or an estimated 90% of them.

0 0
Score : 669

And you'll all be complaining when they sell to a company that shuts it down for month to overhaul it the way they want it to be or raises the subscription costs

There and tons of other things that can be changed or altered the way some new company sees fit. Who says this new company will care anymore about dofus than it's creators? I think Ankama cares a lot about dofus. Just because they don't fix what you deem as the most important thing in the game that needs to be fixed, doesn't mean they don't care. A bigger company doesnt guarantee people that care.

In fact, who's gonna care more? Someone who just picked it up to make some quick money or someone who's been with the game from the start?

0 0
Score : 81
Citation
Fisherpersonage :
They are amazing, just to keep their loyal customers they need to give out information better. Such as, look at the test server Topic, they most likely lost all players from the U.S. and Canada!... or an estimated 90% of them.

You mean your estimate of 90%. I bet the people complaining are all f2p, thus Ankama does not lose anything, just gains bandwidth. I know they can be potential customers, but if someone is complaining about why cannot they keep their test server characters, or move them to a real server, those people definitely have some reading difficulties.

Test server is for testing. If someone fails to understand that, there is no loss.

On the other hand, I do not see why are you complaining. Dofus improved a lot recently, and even if it did not that much compared to larger companies, just take a look at the subscription prices and hardware requirements. This is really a game for everyone, very cheap entertainment and unique gaming experience. And if you do not like it, go play something else, you are free to play another game, hmm? The increasing amount of subscriptions also proves you wrong; I remember when there were 4 or 5 servers. Go try to make a character and count them now.
0 0
Score : 223
Citation
Agility-Rayne :
I agree to this and dont like pie

testing to see if you can "cheat" a quote...plz remove my message
0 0
Score : 2190

I don't agree with this. Ankama fix bugs, but as soon as that happens another one pops up, and then they have to deal with that bug on top of Bots and Kama sellers. They're doing a fine job, IMO. You seem confident however, perhaps you should learn all about the vast world of computer game programing and be employed for Ankama. You complain of the job Ankama is doing and yet it appears you can't do it yourself. I wouldn't make those kinds of comments, if that's the case.

Oh, and I strongly disagree they sell Dofus to Jagex, they'll turn it into a 3D game with absolutely crap graphics and remove everything that we like best.

• Sophidian
0 0
Score : 1661

I have yet to see a game with no bugs or glitches.

They are doing their job, hence why it is still running. And if this game is sold to another company it will be to naught, inventfull ideas will be lost and for all you know it could be shutdown for long periods of time. It's fine as it is.

0 0
Score : 374
Citation
wyoshineo :
Citation
Agility-Rayne :
I agree to this and dont like pie

testing to see if you can "cheat" a quote...plz remove my message

So why do it here, at least change your message lol (:

Anyways my opinion:

Sell it to Blizzard: No because it'll be a full P2P game and hardly anyone will play, and it will be shocking because Blizzard have alot of servers to run.
Sell it to Jagex: Hell no, as Soph said crap graphics

My suggestion is, hire more people and fire the people who do hardly anything. Ankama need to improve as they have ALOT to work on, such as:

Wafku (behind schedule)
Heroic server (behind schedule)
Bots (they have cleared some of this up since 2005 but more advert bots for sites)

The list goes on. My advice is to improve now; from this post you can see people are getting angry, you REALLY should get packing and close up Dofus once and for all or sell it off to a good company if your not prepared to make changes.

• Myka
0 0

And this topic is turning into little more than Ankama-bashing. There's a vast difference between stating well-reasoned opinions and just throwing out gratuitous insults.

• DS