By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Moderators, I kindly implore upon you to assist me in assisting others

By xGrimx April 17, 2008, 21:41:48

Edit: In my haste of re-logging after being auto-logged out while writing this message, I seem to have posted in Remarks instead of the section i was planning on (events and game masters). This topic only slightly fits here, please move it if necessary. I am sorry for the inconvenience ...(how ironic...)

In this section of the forums, I see a lot of topics asking about being mods, becoming mods, talking to mods, and every other possible type of question the human mind could possibly muster in regards to moderators/GMs. And though I'm sad to say it, I think this post is another one (I'm grappling with whether or not to submit it since about 1/2 of such posts are closed... by moderators of course).

But, here it goes...

Being a moderator, even just on a forum, is difficult ...and with the little experience I have in it (I created a few tech forums ...that flopped), I almost shudder to think of how much more work must go into being one inside a game like Dofus. This work however is something that needs to be done so the game can stay as enjoyable to players as possible. It is in this point that my question arises.

I would never even think of suggesting that Dofus moderators were doing a poor job, because they aren't. Every moderator I have ever spoken to has been kind, respectable, gracious, and most of all, helpful. But with this, I'm left slightly torn. Because, though I have seen this great side of things, I have also noticed that there are still uncountable amounts of issues that could be fixed by a moderator, that are not. I can't speak for servers that I have not played on, but the ones I have seem to be riddled with bots, spammers, blatant trickery (like the "I'm a mod, give me your stuff" speech), and other distractions that tend to lower the quality of the Dofus experience. Looking at these two things, the only thought that comes to mind is that the moderator team team might be understaffed.

But with this realization, I am left wondering... If that is true, why would Dofus not be accepting new moderators? (I assume they aren't because the option is not available in ticket submission). Is this because you expect to get too many whiny submissions bearing a striking resemblance to the majority of closed moderator topics in this section of the Forums? Or is it something I don't know about? For example, there is always the possibility that I'm completely wrong, and that on each server you have a team of twenty moderators constantly online doing their best to ensure an enjoyable atmosphere from behind the scenes, and that they are just being constantly undermined by all those who wish to disturb them.

Whatever the case, I think something needs to be changed. And though its not even close to my place to suggest what that change should be, since I obviously don't know what the problem is, I felt that I should present my concern to the moderating staff. Even for those who only moderate the forum, I still see similar patterns (though admittedly not as prominent). Post are edited asking to be deleted, but remain for weeks, and many topics are repeated to the point that you would think this community was entirely made up of cats, monkeys, and parrots.

I know every member of the moderating staff is very busy, and I could never ask for more of them, but yet... I am left unsettled by this seemingly conflicted position Dofus is in.

So now I wish to implore upon you, the moderators, directly. I hope you are able to answer my question and that my curiosity has not been mis-guided. I beg that you receive the message of the post understanding that I have the utmost respect for everything you do, and I respect any decision you have in regards to answering my question, even if it is simply to close this topic.

I, as a player who already spends the vast majority of his time on Dofus working over playing, wish to know...

How can I help?

My first thought was to at least apply for a moderator position on the forums, but seeing all those other post on that subject littering this forum, combined with the fact that new moderators appear to simply be unwanted, has changed my mind (though I do admit, it still remains a thought). Since I came to this conclusion, it has been about 8 months. After doing so, I decided to take a new approach. I created a character on the server Rosal called bot-hunter that, for a while, I used to report bots to moderators. I would take 20 screen shots of each offender, place them on my own private server, and do my best to link any moderator who would listen. This method, though in theory seemed like it would work, ended up falling short of my expectations. I was unable to communicate with moderators conveniently enough that reporting was effective, and when I was able to give the fruits of my labor to a moderator, many times ...for reasons I don't know, the bots remained and nothing changed. Since then, I decided to take a smaller approach to bettering the server. I became a guild leader. I have to say, after being a guild leader for about 4 months now, it is amazing the difference I can make. But recently however, I have come to find how truly minor, though worthwhile, that affect is. And so now I come back to this forum, the beginning of my journey, and I seek to know from those who already do what they can and have the means,

Is there more I can do?

I'm a web programmer, I work mostly in flash, php, mysql, and java, so every once in a while I am able to shed some light on topics in the problems and solutions section of the forums...
I'm also fanatically obsessed with Dofus. How it works, the creativity behind it, the way it brings people together, so every once in a while I can lend an idea or thought in Remarks or Game Development. But besides that, there is little I can do here that I know of.

In game, I help people like any other player, organize events for my guild, and at least TRY to keep my guild members from being scammed (it amazes me how common it is). Every once in a while, I still go bot hunting, though not with the vigor I did originally (and not with the character bot-hunter that I deleted a few weeks ago).

I'm still left with the sense that I can do more, and I want to do more - helping others is simply something that I find rewarding, and Dofus is a place that I find enjoyable.

And so I ask for the third and last time,

What else is there that I can do? I know there is more, and I suppose if i sat here thinking as long as I have been writing this message, I would have an idea. However, it seems to me that any ideas that you have would be far more constructive than my own. And so my question stands, and I await hopefully and with open ears (eyes...whatever).

And let me just say, thank you for reading my message, thank you for the work I see being done by you guys every day, and thank you for any answer you give me.

0 0
Reactions 7
Score : 383

I'm not a mod (obviously), but I've found helping newbies get into the game and introduced into the community without all the negativity is enjoyable and rewarding. I'm in a beginning guild (second in command, but I do most of the work) and have found it very enjoyable to be able to help beginners find training spots, do quests, ect. ect. It makes the game more enjoyable to them, as if you are alone on this game and are a first time player, you are going to be lost for a long time. Also, when helping groups of newbies, they tend to form teams and play together even without me, so by merely guiding them for a few levels I give them a place of belonging in the game.

0 0
Score : 9713

If you are taking screenshots of botters, then honestly, your best bet is to pass them on to support.dofus.com. That's what moderators do with all the accounts that they temporarily ban for breaking the rules so that support can deal with them fully. Moderators have limited powers to deal with these issues, especially if the incident happened a while ago, if you're going to take the trouble to do screens, support is a much better option for your information, in my opinion.

Your sentiment is appreciated, though.

=Wish=

0 0
Score : 4410

Which category of support do bot-shots go to? When I last went to report them, none of the options covered bot reports.

0 0
Score : 3
  • .- i been seeing two or three bots but only problem is that people been scamming.It happen to me a lot -.- i mean a lot of time i lost 19kk today and like a gobkool cape last time with a gobball headgear.We should set up something that helps us more in item trading
0 0
Score : 383

I know this is what they tell you, but getting scammed truly is your fault. If you don't know the value of something, check a local market for its value there. players typically sell at a reduced price of that if they're using global trading (in a rush to get rid of stuff pretty much). If it is a case of them showing you an item and giving you a much weaker version, that's why you always check stats in trade screen and take your time. I've had numerous people try it on me (they'd say "selling such and such with a hyperlink showing maged beyond perfection, then when in trade would offer me the worst pos I had ever seen), yet not one has succeeded merely because I'm cautious XD.

It just comes with practice I guess, but avoiding scams and such will become second nature after time

0 0
Score : 151

Other than text based mmo's Dofus is my first. So i got scammed once. My friend called it the Diablo scam where the guy puts the item in trade box then fills the rest of boxes up with several items and takes the item you want off without you noticing. Well, it happens. But it all comes down to being cautiuos. However, I put him on my enemy list and me and my friends caught him trying to pull it again so we busted him out wherever he went. I even went so far as to attach a seeker scroll so i could find him and hounded him till he quit. He probably started another account and it's just a drop in the bucket compared to all the scammers out there but if it happens to you I would suggest taking matters into your own hands. Moderators just can't do anything about it. Not a dig on moderators. It's just impossible for them to sift through all the mess.

0 0
Score : 4264
Citation
xGrimx :
Edit: In my haste of re-logging after being auto-logged out while writing this message, I seem to have posted in Remarks instead of the section i was planning on (events and game masters). This topic only slightly fits here, please move it if necessary. I am sorry for the inconvenience ...(how ironic...)

In this section of the forums, I see a lot of topics asking about being mods, becoming mods, talking to mods, and every other possible type of question the human mind could possibly muster in regards to moderators/GMs. And though I'm sad to say it, I think this post is another one (I'm grappling with whether or not to submit it since about 1/2 of such posts are closed... by moderators of course).

But, here it goes...

Being a moderator, even just on a forum, is difficult ...and with the little experience I have in it (I created a few tech forums ...that flopped), I almost shudder to think of how much more work must go into being one inside a game like Dofus. This work however is something that needs to be done so the game can stay as enjoyable to players as possible. It is in this point that my question arises.

I don't understand how Moderating a forum can be considered 'Difficult', no offence guys, but a Moderator is simply a master in the art of 'Common Sense' and to be honest I think they are doing a great job keeping the forum tidy and things in order.

Common sense is the main requisite of a being a moderator.

The only annoyance of being a Moderator here on the forums is that a good number of people assume you are a GM and can do magical things and also answer Support questions.
0 0
Respond to this thread