FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Replace F2p with trial period or make credit card be required per account

By kitsuneshin April 20, 2008, 06:53:12

Recently there have been huge spikes of lag on servers due to overload, and so far Ankama has just shifted that load around to fix it. Removing f2p from a server merely means all those f2p are going to invade another server, and each server they add to the list means problems for the server further down the road. Rather than this, I was thinking impliment a trial period of 1 or 2 months for F2p, to give players a taste of the game without letting them clog it. Also, have it so that all of the characters on an account are affected by this, and have it so that only 3 accounts could be made on one IP (so that multiple family members could make an account without draining each other's time). I know that it is relatively easy to renew an IP or change it, but many people wouldn't go through the trouble, and this would stop people from treating f2p as the entire game. This would greatly relieve the stress on the servers, allowing for smoother play, and would create less crowded worlds.

A second idea of mine (came from another game I played) was that you had to had to have a credit card to "verify" and account and be allowed to play. Only 1 account per credit card, which meant all karma farmers/botters caught could be banned and would have to use another credit card (would eventually run out of em and be screwed).

Both of these ideas would reduce the number of f2pers greatly and thus reduce the stress on servers. The second one could be a very effective solution to all the farming/botting, but would limit younger audiences from playing (which might not be a bad thing, as the terms and conditions require for an adult to verify that it is ok for the child to see some of the themes in the game)

0 0
Reactions 17
Score : 465
Citation
kitsuneshin :
A second idea of mine (came from another game I played) was that you had to had to have a credit card to "verify" and account and be allowed to play. Only 1 account per credit card, which meant all karma farmers/botters caught could be banned and would have to use another credit card (would eventually run out of em and be screwed).

Won't happen. Ankama would destroy an increasingly large part of their revenue. Since I doubt Ankama would limit the F2P filth to a trial, they just need to be permanently removed from Rushu and sent to Shika/Rosal to help those servers fill out.
0 0
Score : 112

i don't like the idea to have a time limit, the f2p person could have finacial problems and realy love the game.

0 0
Score : 385

Clouds, I play on Rosal, and we already have tons of the f2pers from other servers. We're beyond overloaded as it is now, which is why I'm saying we need some way of lessening their numbers rather than limiting where they can access. The credit card thing wouldn't kill any of their profit, seeing as how you have to use one to pay (90% of people pay this way) and those people with 5-6 running subscriptions most likely have numerous credit cards as well. This would limit the number of accounts made though, which could severely limit/weed out karma farming, botting, and account trading. The credit cards would be charged 5$ to their acc, then given back, just to verify that they are real. This method was used in another game I played, and within weeks a majority of the trash talkers, hackers, ect. were gone.

Destra, P2p is extremely cheap. If you are too poor to pay for it, then you need to be working at a job rather than playing a game. If you are a child and your parents won't dish out money for the game, then offer to work for them for it, or just go without. We can't cater to every player worldwide, and F2pers are ruining the servers as it is.

0 0
Score : 465
Citation
kitsuneshin :
Clouds, I play on Rosal, and we already have tons of the f2pers from other servers. We're beyond overloaded as it is now, which is why I'm saying we need some way of lessening their numbers rather than limiting where they can access. The credit card thing wouldn't kill any of their profit, seeing as how you have to use one to pay (90% of people pay this way) and those people with 5-6 running subscriptions most likely have numerous credit cards as well. This would limit the number of accounts made though, which could severely limit/weed out karma farming, botting, and account trading. The credit cards would be charged 5$ to their acc, then given back, just to verify that they are real. This method was used in another game I played, and within weeks a majority of the trash talkers, hackers, ect. were gone.

I played on Rosal before moving to Rushu. Don't even try to say Rosal is packed when it's almost as dead as Shika.

You think 1 credit card per account won't affect their income? I think you're narrow-minded. Take people that pay for multiple accounts with their bank card for example. Under your idea they're SoL. And don't say some BS about everyone who multis having a wallet full of plastic either because in the majority of cases, they more than likely don't.

Your whole idea is basically anti-profit for Ankama so thankfully your idiocy won't affect the rest of us. Ankama's staff isn't the brighest bunch of people, but their greed would never let them implement this crap.
0 0
Citation
CloudsOfRage :
I played on Rosal before moving to Rushu. Don't even try to say Rosal is packed when it's almost as dead as Shika.

You think 1 credit card per account won't affect their income? I think you're narrow-minded. Take people that pay for multiple accounts with their bank card for example. Under your idea they're SoL. And don't say some BS about everyone who multis having a wallet full of plastic either because in the majority of cases, they more than likely don't.

Your whole idea is basically anti-profit for Ankama so thankfully your idiocy won't affect the rest of us. Ankama's staff isn't the brighest bunch of people, but their greed would never let them implement this crap.

When did you play rosal? Months ago? Guess what, things change.

Multi-Accs do not make up the majority of the game, and in either case Ankama does not support multi-accounting, therefore this fits perfectly into their policy and wouldn't hurt them nearly as drastically as you seem to think. Also, just because you don't doesn't mean others don't. Most people with large amounts of money DO have at least 1 or 2 credit cards alongside their debit card. If that isn't enough, well tough. This is a game, it isn't supposed to absorb a good portion of your income or life for that matter.

Stop taking yourself as an example of the masses. If you could get your head out of your ass for one moment and think about the other players- yes, there are players alongside you in this game, and on the other servers- then you could see you're only screwing them by shifting the unwanted masses onto them.
0 0
Score : 1856

kitsuneshin - there are other players besides you also. Your assumptions are wrong and invalid. Compared to Rushu (which I did not stay on) Rosal IS empty. However, I prefer Rosal.

Your assumption that people who P2P have large sums of money? stupid and inaccurate. I P2P. I have to budget my accounts (I pay for my kids as well - an easy present for adult children, they drop by, sign in, I put my CC in, they log off. no account info shared.) in order to afford it.

Just because you say so, doesn't mean the game can't absorb a significant portion of someone's life or disposable income. (if you don't know, disposable income is the income you spend on games, entertainment, or whatever once your bills are paid and rent, clothing and food bought). Some people actually have difficulty doing other things. For example, someone who is bedridden, my spend a lot of their time online, playing games, chatting with people, having a connection with the world they would not otherwise have.

You idea regarding 1 account - 1 credit card is as assinine and hurtful to real people as the auto bans when the computer screws up. Before you insult other people, stop and question your own assumptions.

And BTW, the kama sellers would not be hurt at all. It isn't that difficult to get multiple cards legitimately. All you need (which they will already know) is to have multiple additionals on a corporate account. It might hurt the few that use stolen cards, but not the majority of the professional botters.

0 0
Score : 1643
Citation
kitsuneshin :

Both of these ideas would reduce the number of f2pers greatly and thus reduce the stress on servers. The second one could be a very effective solution to all the farming/botting, but would limit younger audiences from playing (which might not be a bad thing, as the terms and conditions require for an adult to verify that it is ok for the child to see some of the themes in the game)

Man, this idea is stupid, are you assuming all of us have a credit card? i don't have a credit card, I use PBC for my subscription.
0 0
Citation
Teskeria :
kitsuneshin - there are other players besides you also. Your assumptions are wrong and invalid. Compared to Rushu (which I did not stay on) Rosal IS empty. However, I prefer Rosal.

I played on Rushu just to see, and guess what? Rosal Astrub was no different from Rushu astrub. They're both overfilled, which is due to the French servers being shut down to f2p and them migrating into our servers. As I said would happen yet again if rushu f2p is shut down, rosal will just end up taking its burden.
Citation
Your assumption that people who P2P have large sums of money? stupid and inaccurate. I P2P. I have to budget my accounts (I pay for my kids as well - an easy present for adult children, they drop by, sign in, I put my CC in, they log off. no account info shared.) in order to afford it.

I never said ALL do, but that the multi accs do. I'm p2p as well if you haven't noticed.
Citation
Just because you say so, doesn't mean the game can't absorb a significant portion of someone's life or disposable income. (if you don't know, disposable income is the income you spend on games, entertainment, or whatever once your bills are paid and rent, clothing and food bought). Some people actually have difficulty doing other things. For example, someone who is bedridden, my spend a lot of their time online, playing games, chatting with people, having a connection with the world they would not otherwise have.

99% of people would never be bedridden for months on end, and you can't take rare situations into concern when creating a game. It is obvious that some people are going to be hurt by this, but it is impossible to please the masses.
Citation
You idea regarding 1 account - 1 credit card is as assinine and hurtful to real people as the auto bans when the computer screws up. Before you insult other people, stop and question your own assumptions.

Explain how it is hurtful to people? The only people who need multiple accounts are those with families that play and the multi-accs. As I said before, most adults do have at least one or two credit cards alongside their debit card. Ankama does not support multi-accounting, so why should they be taken into consideration? You don't go out of your way to help something you condone. As for families, if they don't have credit cards then they can share an account or consider themself sol. As I said, you can't please the masses.
Citation
And BTW, the kama sellers would not be hurt at all. It isn't that difficult to get multiple cards legitimately. All you need (which they will already know) is to have multiple additionals on a corporate account. It might hurt the few that use stolen cards, but not the majority of the professional botters.

Wrong. They wouldn't be hurt at first, but every one banned would be one less able to use. After a while, the corporation would run out of credit cards. renewing an IP can be done millions of times, and takes all of 10 seconds. Mass banning of botters by credit card rather than IP would mean slower bannings, but all those people who are being punished right now for sharing a connection with a botter would be able to play.

I never claimed this idea was perfect, or without faults. You would have to take into consideration all the other methods of payment, and the support team would have to be very active while the system was set in place. I don't mind constructive criticism on the idea, but it is rather annoying when people shoot it down without considering all the advantages over the disadvantages, or without reading carefully.
0 0
"I played on Rushu just to see, and guess what? Rosal Astrub was no different from Rushu astrub. They're both overfilled, which is due to the French servers being shut down to f2p and them migrating into our servers. As I said would happen yet again if rushu f2p is shut down, rosal will just end up taking its burden. "

Go take a look outside Astrub. Every server with F2P is overcrowded in Astrub. It IS the only place they can play outside incarnum

"Explain how it is hurtful to people? The only people who need multiple accounts are those with families that play and the multi-accs. As I said before, most adults do have at least one or two credit cards alongside their debit card. Ankama does not support multi-accounting, so why should they be taken into consideration? You don't go out of your way to help something you condone. As for families, if they don't have credit cards then they can share an account or consider themself sol. As I said, you can't please the masses. "

Look again. Anakama FORBIDS sharing an account. It is in the TOS. They have no objection to multi-accounting. There are a hell of a lot of people who DO NOT have credit cards, just a debit card. I myself am one. At least 2 of the family groups I know, who pay using the same debit card are the same. A lot of people use paypal or other methods. Requiring a credit card they don't have hurts them.

"After a while, the corporation would run out of credit cards."
Sorry, but all you need to do, to get a new card number is to say you lost the card. It is cancelled and a new one with a different number isssued right away. as long as you keep your bill paid, the credit card companies don't care.

"I don't mind constructive criticism on the idea, but it is rather annoying when people shoot it down without considering all the advantages over the disadvantages, or without reading carefully. "

I did read it carefully, I read everything. I actually read it twice before I replied.
0 0
Score : 977

Did anyone ever find a flaw in the whole "maximum of 2 f2p accounts per IP" idea?

To me it seems ideal; it kills bot numbers and adds another 'fair' restriction to free players while still allowing 2 members of a family to play together (two siblings or a decent parent who monitor's and shares their young kid's internet activity) but perhaps I'm missing something.

0 0
Citation
SnarfBear :
Did anyone ever find a flaw in the whole "maximum of 2 f2p accounts per IP" idea?

To me it seems ideal; it kills bot numbers and adds another 'fair' restriction to free players while still allowing 2 members of a family to play together (two siblings or a decent parent who monitor's and shares their young kid's internet activity) but perhaps I'm missing something.

Some servers assign an ip address randomly when you log in each time from their pool. In that situation, it can cause problems as you would have some IPs with the max, while others have none. Otherwise it would be an excellant idea for F2P accounts.
0 0
Score : 84

plain and simple this game will suck if they have trials for f2p no one would be in astrub wasting all the monsters there

0 0
Score : 152

The whole credit card thing to verify would be fine and dandy if they could fix the credit card payment bugs that are plaguing so many people.

0 0
Score : 346

Something else the OP didn't think of in his haste to screw the masses is that over half the world has trouble paying with a credit card because of Ankama's overcautious behavior.

I'm living in Japan right now. Would anyone like to take a guess at how hard it is for me to resub my accounts with a CC when the time comes around...? I literally have to fight with the support team for weeks before I can even think of using a credit card just because I'm in Asia. I've been a customer since the opening of Rushu and to this day have to put up with that. And now some brat who probably has his parents foot the bill for his account wants to put hundreds of thousands of potential subscribers through that same hell or worse just because he doesn't like the state Astrub is in?

kitsuneshin, everyone here who has opposed this jackassed ploy has made very valid points as to why it's a flop and you've answered them defensively and with snide remarks. If you don't like your ideas being shot down don't post them at all.

0 0
Score : 428
Citation
and those people with 5-6 running subscriptions most likely have numerous credit cards as well.

False. You can't assume everybody has 1 credit card per account.
Citation
Ankama does not support multi-accounting

False as well. Ankama benefits for multiaccounting, what they don't support is account sharing/trading.
0 0
Score : 9725

History Lesson:

For several months after the open English beta ended, Ankama allowed a seven day trial account that had full privileges for a limited amount of time. These accounts were abused by the regular players (mostly for merchant mules and enu drop clubs) and essentially caused the creation of Astrub and the current F2P method.

=Wish=

0 0
Score : 290
Citation
kitsuneshin :

Most people are f2p because they don't have credit card or any other means to pay (but they have money to pay), so your credit card "verifying" method wouldn't work, as people with credit cards are already p2p, effectively removing f2p from the game.
0 0
Respond to this thread