FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Official] Bots

By November 10, 2008, 16:33:03
Reactions 1413
Score : 116

just wanted to say this: i totally agree. its a pity people actually keep buying kamas from those lame botusing sellers.

0 0
Score : 420

great explaination and all, but this is not telling us anything new. What we need is to find long-term solutions to the problem, not flood the forum with repetitive "why bots should be gone" posts

0 0
Score : 1034
kyjon|2009-02-14 15:31:00
great explaination and all, but this is not telling us anything new. What we need is to find long-term solutions to the problem, not flood the forum with repetitive "why bots should be gone" posts

You are right. I agree with you (especially about the word "long-term"). And I did already post my suggestions a time ago (in developer forum: http://forum.dofus.com/en/game-development...nd-t63474.html).

This post here was more or less addressed to the people thinking "So what? I pay subscription fee. Why not for some additional kamas?"
0 0
Score : 995

I agree with you about bots being unwanted canker sores on the face of a great game, they need to be eliminated as fast and as permanently as possible.

However, that old overused "inflation!!" argument I find to be moot and irrelevant... I played this game when it started out, then I quit for about a year, then I played again then quit for another year, and now I'm playing again, and you know what? There's no "inflation". The resources I gather (miner 100/alchemist 100/ farmer 100) have always sold for the exact same amounts every single time during my 3 plays. You know why? Cause it's a game. It has nowhere near the amount of complexity it would need to start exhbiting real-world economic phenomenons. Players will ALWAYS pay 2000-4000 per 100 iron, they will ALWAYS pay 500-2500 per 100 wheat and so on and so forth. No bots will ever change that.

There IS something that influences the prices of things on a sever, and that is the population size of the server. The more people there are, the more stuff there is, the cheaper everything can get. That's it. That's the most complexity you're ever going to find in a game like Dofus. Anything beyond that amounts to a 12-year-old who learned the concept of "inflation" for the first time in his life and suddenly thinks that he can sound really really smart by applying it to his favorite video game.

But yeah, bots do suck in general though.

Edit -> It's like the people who say that if Ankama allowed characters to migrate from one server to another "the economies would be destroyed!!" ... No, they absolutely would not be destroyed or even affected in any way. Some people would be totally rich in new servers and be able to buy a lot of stuff. And that's as far as it would go. (The only server that would make any kind of problem to migrate from would be obviously Heroic, but all others? Nothing.)

0 0
Score : 11665

I would aggro them but we get disgrace. =/

0 0
Aracuan|2009-02-14 16:16:00
However, that old overused "inflation!!" argument I find to be moot and irrelevant...

You are right in the fact that there is no real inflation in Dofus. Inflation however, is a part and problem for other games. If you like, we can debate inflation and the reasons it occours (or not occours) in a separate topic.

All I wanted to point out here is that bot operators don't have as big as normal players a problem with that. Just because sometimes I hear the argument "at least bots help to defeat the inflation." which is in my opinion the opposite of truth.
0 0
Score : 2597

Friends told me they saw some bots (sadida with enu train) in the milicluster this week.

0 0
Score : 859

I got another compelling reason: They consume server resources.

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I've seen bots following each other. Usually its all the same character type with a nonsensical gibberish user name. Anyways, the bots travel in packs to increase their loot and prospecting scores. Each pack is probably owned by a single person and probably runs on a 3rd party executable so that it doesn't have to render interfaces. The point is, all it takes is a few people running multiple packs of bots to crap up a game. Currently, the Solar server refuses to let me connect because its got too many connections. How many of those are actual players and how many are bots? How much server memory & cpu does each bot consume?

Bots take away from legit players. It sucks. I aggressed one once and got a disgrace point which was more trouble then it was worth.

My solution to the bot problem is simple... Just let players run a CAPTCHA check against anyone they suspect is a bot. Sort of like aggressing other players, they can challenge bots with a CAPTCHA challenge. If the captcha fails after a 2 minute time out, the account is automatically temporarily suspended for 2 hours and given a warning counter. If its a legit player and they got suspended for 2 hours, they'll have to wait. If the captcha challenge is failed three times in a row, the account is permanently banned. If a player successfully completes the ingame captcha, then they are immune for 10-15 minutes. If a captcha challenge is issued to just one player, then if that player is a member of a group, all group members get that same captcha challenge. This lets players challenge just one bot from a pack and they all get challenged and suspended.
From the perspective of the bot owners, this puts a strain on their time. They'd have to continuously maintain their bots by satisfying the captcha challenge every 10-15 minutes against a two minute timer and for multiple accounts at once. Legit players would only be bothered perhaps once an hour or so, which is much better then being bothered every time a bot shows up.

Anyways, this suggestion will probably be buried and ignored.

0 0
Score : 743

What is this 'bwak trick' you speak of?

I haven't tried reporting bots yet. I figure by the time someone who can take care of it reads the ticket, they will already have been replaced by a new set of bots.

0 0
Score : 1008
thisgameizfun|2009-02-14 17:56:00
I would aggro them but we get disgrace. =/

Hehe I made an alt, gave it P2P for a week (audio code) and now I aggro all the bots that are outside of Astrub.

On Topic: Agreed, but this has been explained a million times already.
0 0
Score : 859
Zektro|2009-02-16 07:05:00
Hehe I made an alt, gave it P2P for a week (audio code) and now I aggro all the bots that are outside of Astrub.

On Topic: Agreed, but this has been explained a million times already.

Hmm, that's a good idea! I could make a throw-away character and use it to aggro bots.
0 0
slayemin|2009-02-15 17:19:00
My solution to the bot problem is simple... Just let players run a CAPTCHA check against anyone they suspect is a bot. Sort of like aggressing other players, they can challenge bots with a CAPTCHA challenge. If the captcha fails after a 2 minute time out, the account is automatically temporarily suspended for 2 hours and given a warning counter. If its a legit player and they got suspended for 2 hours, they'll have to wait. If the captcha challenge is failed three times in a row, the account is permanently banned. If a player successfully completes the ingame captcha, then they are immune for 10-15 minutes. If a captcha challenge is issued to just one player, then if that player is a member of a group, all group members get that same captcha challenge. This lets players challenge just one bot from a pack and they all get challenged and suspended.
From the perspective of the bot owners, this puts a strain on their time. They'd have to continuously maintain their bots by satisfying the captcha challenge every 10-15 minutes against a two minute timer and for multiple accounts at once. Legit players would only be bothered perhaps once an hour or so, which is much better then being bothered every time a bot shows up.

Thank you. You summarized my idea nicely wink (My idea is in a link on another reply somewhere above).

Except you forgot that the one who initiate the check on another player has to fill out a captcha by himself. Else you get bots abusing the system by annoying people just to force Ankama to revert the feature. (This happened to other MMORPG's when they introduced a simple way of reporting bots).
0 0
Score : 142

Hmm, I have an idea.

A little question box that appears on a random part of a screen, that asks "Are you a bot?".
It would have a tiny "no" button below the question.

My theory is that bot programs could not pinpoint the exact location of the no button, eventually timing out from inactivity (as the box would prevent all other actions)

0 0
Score : 1900

Hi everyone

the old bwak trick works like this:

just open a bwak egg tongue

the "leader bot" will rush to attack it.. but since for a certain time only the opener can attack it, the leader is locked into trying to attack the little bwak.
this stops the whole bot mob and it often takes several minutes till the person "watching" over the bots notice that and move the bots to another map...

sooo.. if you have still lotsa bwak eggs from x-mas island leftover and wonder what to do with em... now you know how very useful they are tongue

have fun spoiling bots routine.. even it only works for a few minutes wink

0 0
Score : 9398
Nedokiuz|2009-02-16 11:31:00
Hmm, I have an idea.

A little question box that appears on a random part of a screen, that asks "Are you a bot?".
It would have a tiny "no" button below the question.

My theory is that bot programs could not pinpoint the exact location of the no button, eventually timing out from inactivity (as the box would prevent all other actions)

Bots don't have to pinpoint the exact location, the can make the server think they did so without displaying anything at all.

Sounds weird, eh? Don't forget, bots aren't "playing" with the client. The dofus client takes the information, like which mobs and players there are on the map, as well as all their equips, levels, etc. and then the client displays it by loading the flash animations representing the players and mobs. Then you can click on a mob, which the client will interpret as attacking it, and it will tell the server so.

Bots, however, don't display anything at all. They're not "looking" for mobs and clicking on them, they get the list of which mobs there are on the field and then they tell the server that they're attackig the mob, without graphicall displaying anything. So even if there is a graphical anti bot measure like this, bots will bypass it by telling the server they did it.
0 0
Score : 743

Oh. That doesn't work for people who subscribed after christmas. But it's nice to know how bwak eggs work.

0 0
Score : 1902
Blazeron|2009-02-16 19:13:00
Sounds weird, eh? Don't forget, bots aren't "playing" with the client.

This is exactly right. Never, ever forget: the bot is here to stay. We will most likely never see a popular online game that doesn't have a bot. It's simply too easy to program, and far too hard to identify. Most, if not all, actions that MMO's take to prevent botting are more harmful to the players than the bots.

Take this for example:

Ankama made the change where if you hunt on the same map over and over, you get fewer and fewer drops and less and less xp. This was to prevent bots from farming the same areas. The bot developers can then go in and just re-program their bots to move after 3 or 4 fights. So the bots don't really suffer; but the players do, as they now just have to deal with the same-map penalty.

As I see it, there are two solutions to the bot problem, and only two:

1) The Dofus Community can come together and really do something about this. We could start a coalition where every member has to have at least one character at level 50, and this character is an alligned, pvp-only character, used for the sole purpose of aggro'ing bots. Certain volunteers would then scout around popular botting areas and people could somehow report suspected bots. The community could then basically just concentrate on aggroing bots and developing methods of combatting the problem; literally, analog anti-botting.

2) People could stop buying gold from the bots' websites.
0 0
Score : 1900

hi everyone...

know what i find sad?
my post showing a bot mob hunting jellys, lead by a lvl 69 cra got removed.. shure thats ok... thats the rules.. no names ( even from bots )
but whats NOT ok is: that the bot mob still hunts happy at the jellys!!

at least the ankama mod that removed the post could spend 4 minutes, investigate and get rid of the bots!

0 0
Score : 1008

I still got my vote on the CAPTCHA...

0 0
Score : 44
[MOD]Raiu|2009-02-16 20:42:00

The official bot-discussion topic is here. As you can see from the very first post in that topic, literally millions of bots have been banned. Banning a few (or even a lot) of them won't make all bots go away, just like arresting a few muggers and purse-snatchers hasn't caused all crime in the world to go away.

So as simple a solution as it seems, "ban the bots" is not really a solution for an industry-wide problem.

-DS-

I love the reciprocal logic displayed here,you can ban every bot in the game and come next month when they have remade them"TY F2P model sleep" you will have to do it again.You want bot's decreased by 90+% make a P2P server for the english community and french community.You can't stop someone from doing something if there are no consequences,banning a character that can be remade 1 min later is hardly a problem,people can change ip's faster then they can change their socks.You need real consequences and the only way that will happen is with the banning of the entire botting account,this won't stop it entirely but you can be sure that it will SIGNIFICANTLY lower the incidents.
Saying "this is an industry wide problem" is like comparing a person with ants in their house to someone with an anthill in their basement DOFU's is thoroughly and completely infested,if you didn't have 20+ people banning them 24/7 it would truly be something to behold.

Opening a server to test the viability of a P2P model is something that could be done and frankly should be done as a payer of 4 accounts I would welcome the choice as I am sure many others would,to play on a mostly bot free server

0 0