FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Official] Bots

By November 10, 2008, 16:33:03
Reactions 1413
Score : 27371
I thought of something. How about new resource protectors? However, they will be invulnerable and have high damage like about 50 per turn. Way to beat them? Uhm, I don't know. You guys think of something.
That would be awfully annoying for regular players.

Like, if I suspect this miner in this mine i'm mining on is a bot, I will press his name, then click "bot challenge" or something like that. Then, a captcha will pop up on his screen and he will be frozen and unable to act or do anything until he gets the captcha right.
Regular humans would just abuse it, and use it to stop their competition from being able to gather any resources. Then Ankama would have to add a way for regular people to avoid it, and then bots would figure it out and it wouldn't work on anyone.
0 0
Score : 23
Revil-Nunor|2014-05-05 17:46:11
I thought of something. How about new resource protectors? However, they will be invulnerable and have high damage like about 50 per turn. Way to beat them? Uhm, I don't know. You guys think of something.

Like, if I suspect this miner in this mine i'm mining on is a bot, I will press his name, then click "bot challenge" or something like that. Then, a captcha will pop up on his screen and he will be frozen and unable to act or do anything until he gets the captcha right.
Regular humans would just abuse it, and use it to stop their competition from being able to gather any resources. Then Ankama would have to add a way for regular people to avoid it, and then bots would figure it out and it wouldn't work on anyone.
If we want a solution, everyone will have to support it. Therefore, we'll have to use discipline. We can also add a limit for each person so we avoid regular humas abusing it. One more thing, if you get the captcha, you'll be free as soon as you get it right. Just a few seconds of delay? Small price to pay to get the bots out. Also, the first way i suggested does not have to be very complicated. It will only be a very easy way, but one that bots can not do.
0 0
Score : 25913
ejramirez|2014-05-06 12:52:18
Therefore, we'll have to use discipline.
Unfortunately, while real players can be persuaded to practice discipline, botters will not be as cooperative... Botters will abuse this feature to monopolize resources. Botters will probably use their 1,000+ accounts to report real players therefore freezing all the real players from gathering resources.

And then there are the trolls who would love to report real players as a suspected bot just for the fun of it.

And in cases where false reporters will get punished, I'm sure botters will deny that they are bots therefore it would be a risk for real players to make a report because when botters filed a complaints, good meaning reporters will be punished.
0 0

If we want a solution, everyone will have to support it. Therefore, we'll have to use discipline. We can also add a limit for each person so we avoid regular humas abusing it. One more thing, if you get the captcha, you'll be free as soon as you get it right. Just a few seconds of delay? Small price to pay to get the bots out. Also, the first way i suggested does not have to be very complicated. It will only be a very easy way, but one that bots can not do.
Bots can purchase services that will have humans solve the captchas for them too, that solution will only work as long as it takes the people running bots to purchase that service. At which point they would instantly be able to solve the captchas and only the players would be hassled.

People who run bots have a lot of money, they are like the drug cartels of the gaming world. They don't care how much money they have to throw at the problem, and enough money can fix anything. Until Ankama can match them dollar for dollar or get enough Moderators/client-side anti-bot measures to make a real dent then bots will continue to do what they want, whenever they want, and nothing will change that.
0 0
Score : 13359
Revil-Nunor|2014-05-06 17:48:47

Bots can purchase services that will have humans solve the captchas for them too, that solution will only work as long as it takes the people running bots to purchase that service. At which point they would instantly be able to solve the captchas and only the players would be hassled.

People who run bots have a lot of money, they are like the drug cartels of the gaming world. They don't care how much money they have to throw at the problem, and enough money can fix anything. Until Ankama can match them dollar for dollar or get enough Moderators/client-side anti-bot measures to make a real dent then bots will continue to do what they want, whenever they want, and nothing will change that.
They don't even need a human to do captchas anymore revil, I've seen PoC code in python that solves captchas with close to 90% accuracy (probably better than most actual humans)
0 0
Nerd-Tease|2014-05-07 17:54:38
Revil-Nunor|2014-05-06 17:48:47

They don't even need a human to do captchas anymore revil, I've seen PoC code in python that solves captchas with close to 90% accuracy (probably better than most actual humans)
I would still worry about humans more, you can always break a machine or a script, much harder to break an actual person.

A motivated person will probably be at least a 98% accuracy rate too. And if you are getting paid you are probably fairly motivated.

Either way, it is safe to say that Captchas probably aren't the answer.
0 0
Score : 23

If that's the case then captchas may not be the solution. But the improved resource protectors may be. A little complication in the battle would be a small price to pay with or without compensation from Ankama if we want to eliminate bots from dofus.

0 0
ejramirez|2014-05-08 05:44:57
If that's the case then captchas may not be the solution. But the improved resource protectors may be. A little complication in the battle would be a small price to pay with or without compensation from Ankama if we want to eliminate bots from dofus.
But are you willing to keep updating them as the bots adapt? Look at it like this, each time you change something it will buy you maybe 3 to 4 weeks at most, before the botters find a workaround and ramp back up to full speed.
0 0
Score : 350

/

0 0
Score : 2079

I am at my breaking point! I play on Rosal and it has become unbearable to level a profession that requires ore or wood....the bots are HORRIBLE!! I was trying to mine copper and cut chestnut...its impossible. I can't stand it any longer!

0 0
Score : 46

Ok so I did not read every post on here but I think we can detect any bots on this game with differents variables

• If someone got a job after 1 hour of gaming
  • If someone have pretty much no stuff besides his tool
  • If someone is not answering mp
  • If someone is refusing every invites
  • If someone has been is a zone for a long time
  • If someone is doing the same action over a long period of time

If someone got 4 of those "variables" tp to them and ban them or not :s

QueenofChaos27|2014-05-10 15:12:37
I am at my breaking point! I play on Rosal and it has become unbearable to level a profession that requires ore or wood....the bots are HORRIBLE!! I was trying to mine copper and cut chestnut...its impossible. I can't stand it any longer!
I know right , my cra Kahne-ahbis cannot mine anymore, 12 bots on every mines I have to make at least 1mk to P2P my acc but I cannot anymore.
0 0
Score : 703

I'm a proud level 100 miner. It is one of my main sources of Kama making. But lately the mines are invaded by bots, making it almost impossible for people, like myself, to gather ores. Specially Copper, Cobalt, and Manganese (relatively low level ores, but the ones that you need the most to make alloys). I strongly suggest implementing monster that aggro in the mines, like Dark Miners, with a quick re-spawn in order to fight the bots population. The bots are usually low level characters so, in theory, they are no match to fight monsters like the Dark Miners. I know t is not a cure, but I believe it is a good way to fight the symptoms. What do you guys think of the idea?

0 0
Score : 4776
DatsuLee|2014-05-10 17:44:59
I'm a proud level 100 miner. It is one of my main sources of Kama making. But lately the mines are invaded by bots, making it almost impossible for people, like myself, to gather ores. Specially Copper, Cobalt, and Manganese (relatively low level ores, but the ones that you need the most to make alloys). I strongly suggest implementing monster that aggro in the mines, like Dark Miners, with a quick re-spawn in order to fight the bots population. The bots are usually low level characters so, in theory, they are no match to fight monsters like the Dark Miners. I know t is not a cure, but I believe it is a good way to fight the symptoms. What do you guys think of the idea?
How would low level characters who are actual players handle this then? Not everybody wants to level up and gear an alt just to do professions. We already have to level them to 50 to access the Frigost resources. This solution is not a real solution given that bots can be in the level 100+ range and have gear.
0 0
Score : 93
SuqMyTrap|2014-05-10 16:52:41
Ok so I did not read every post on here but I think we can detect any bots on this game with differents variables

I'd be against this.

I'm a level 100 farmer and I often select the whole field so that I can go afk to get something to drink / watch tv or w/e else comes up and when I do that I usually do not notice PMs straight away, I don't accept party invites because I'm not looking at the screen all that often, I stay in the zone for ages because of the amount of pods that I've got and I usually like to click the same pattern.

It would be very hard for any person that would be looking at the variables that you gave to decide if I'm a bot or a player that's just afk-farming the cereal.
0 0
Score : 46
CryMeARiver|2014-05-10 18:42:39
SuqMyTrap|2014-05-10 16:52:41

I'd be against this.

I'm a level 100 farmer and I often select the whole field so that I can go afk to get something to drink / watch tv or w/e else comes up and when I do that I usually do not notice PMs straight away, I don't accept party invites because I'm not looking at the screen all that often, I stay in the zone for ages because of the amount of pods that I've got and I usually like to click the same pattern.

It would be very hard for any person that would be looking at the variables that you gave to decide if I'm a bot or a player that's just afk-farming the cereal.
Im not talking about these amount of farm, more like 100 000 whole in 24 hours
0 0
Score : 331

I noticed how the bots don't belong to any guilds or alliances - and if the botter would try to join his bots to a guild or alliance it'd be easy to monitor. So my decision: make it possible to attack characters with no guild or alliance in certain areas like mines. Real players will eventually search for a guild, as for the bots - it's fine as long as they are out of your ore and trees.

0 0
Score : 25913
Eryta|2014-05-10 19:32:55
I noticed how the bots don't belong to any guilds or alliances - and if the botter would try to join his bots to a guild or alliance it'd be easy to monitor. So my decision: make it possible to attack characters with no guild or alliance in certain areas like mines. Real players will eventually search for a guild, as for the bots - it's fine as long as they are out of your ore and trees.
Botters can afford to buy guildalogem.
0 0
Score : 703
VoidofSouls|2014-05-10 18:04:26
DatsuLee|2014-05-10 17:44:59
How would low level characters who are actual players handle this then? Not everybody wants to level up and gear an alt just to do professions. We already have to level them to 50 to access the Frigost resources. This solution is not a real solution given that bots can be in the level 100+ range and have gear.
I underestand your point. I'm not a high lvl myself (at least with my miner and lumberjack), I also don't have any equipment whatsoever (other than +pods) and am still able to defeat 2 Dark Miners(with a lot of effort). I said to use the Dark Miners just as an example, since they are related to the mines. Another thing, take for example the Faultline Mine (A Frigost Mine where you can mine for Obsidian). On that mine you can see one aggro monster (single) on every room. My character can't beat a single one of them in a solo fight, but I'm able to dodge them 99% of the time. I haven't seen a single bot on this mine. All I'm saying is that it would be a nice idea to have the same system applied in all the mines. If they can do it on that mine, why not try it in the others and see if that helps? In my opinion this would help reduce the mining bot because eventually they'll run out of energy, at least low level one. They can also limit the fight to just one person. As I said before: this is not a cure, but a good way to treat the symptoms.

You can also take for example Eltneg Wood (a good place to pick up wood for Lumberjacks). You can see lots of aggroing monsters (like the different types of Chafers and the Trolls).
0 0
Eryta|2014-05-10 19:32:55
Bots join both guilds and alliances now, on Solar at least.
0 0
Score : 2079

I'm also a 100 miner and I have a 100 Lumberjack on another character so I like to mine and cut trees at the same time--So i decided to level a smith and carver and well.....i had to stop even trying to get certain ores and trees I needed because the bots were just outrageous!! I work a full time job and when I come home I find it relaxing to chill on Dofus leveling professions..and now its gotten so out of hand i can't even enjoy that! Something has to be done!!

0 0