FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Official] Bots

By November 10, 2008, 16:33:03
Reactions 1413
Score : 220

So this server as far as I knew was an English speaking server. But I've noticed when I get private messages from bots wanting me to buy kamas (yeah right) they are never sent in English. I know the rmt groups aren't the smartest and ruin games economies based on the several mmorpgs I've played. I guess my main point is don't you think if you have a bot spouting fishing scripts you have that script done in the language that the server is. I mean I wouldn't go to a Spanish forum and start talking in German. Anybody else noticed the language issue?

0 0
Score : 1047

Those are kama seller bots. You should report them in this topic (read the rules before posting, they are very strict in this case -- basically never post names, screenshots or spammed messages there, only the information about server, your account, and times when the mods can contact you).

0 0
Score : 2987

Putting the matter how bad it is for the game aside, what kinds of bots have you ever encountered in the game?

1. Obviously, dropbots. A sync group of similar characters, naked F2Ps or clad in Jelly Set P2Ps.
2. Farmerbots. I never met the original ones, but seen the improved that not only reaped cereals but also navigated thru Bonta to stock it in some distant house.
3. Lumberbots. Nowadays they are so finely tuned as to traverse the hostile areas like Eltneg Wood or Kaliptus Forest without actually getting caught by aggressive residents.
4. And the last ones are templebots, basic-colored Sacriers in Turkocapes and Ancestral Hats that swarm 15 temples (and probably cause the scroll market collapse).

Any others you'd noticed along your travels?

0 0
Score : 27371

Don't forget the ones that sit at the smithmagis and mage stuff. I've heard on the French servers they even mage ap on stuff.

Also the ones that fight in the Kolossium.

0 0
Score : 25912

6. Spambots: Spams messages selling kamas and phising sites.

0 0

Lets be honest the bots are everywhere and have become a huge problem that everybody has had to deal with. Either spamming rmt tells, harvesting monopolies, or lagging your screen as 20 of them run from place to place. They control prices on certain items and now they have leeched into doing dopples and such. They cause problems for everyone from the players, to the mods, to the developers. Why isn't it when you have been caught botting you are given a warning. Second time you do it your isp is banned for 6 months. The mods when they ban or whatever they do the botters just bring another character to fill the void, it's a losing battle.

0 0

I have been playing dofus on and off now for at least 5-6 years. Bots have always been a problem. When I first started playing it was them farming tofus in ftp areas and spamming rmt messages and trades. You would laugh and put up a perc and move on. Since the orgines system started it has gotten much worse. They farm, mine, lumberjack all over making certain materials almost impossible to get and create a monopoly to buy more orgines and prepare if/when the bots are banned. As I see this we pay Ankama a price one way or another. Money or kamas traded for orgines to play the game. We follow the TOS when we log on, if other people don't doesn't it become Ankama's job to diminish or elevate the problem. I understand the bots are flipping everywhere and as soon as one is taken down 2 more take it spot, but when I see the same bot in the same spot for 2 weeks it makes me not want to play. If most the mods are volunteers, but they still don't have enough help, why not bring on more mods. I for one would volunteer to clear, log bot activities on other servers. If I could help make other servers less crowded with "cheaters" I would gladly, and I'm sure others would also. I just paid for a six month subscription but I feel my opinions and/or suggestions are looked over. There are things that can be done about the bots, Dofus isn't the first mmorpg to have them overrun, nor will they be the last. Just hope that Ankama does something before I lose interest in the game.

0 0

Unfortunately, botting has now become an industry with botting companies hiring technicians to program a bot scripts and bypass anti-bot measures. These companies employes several employees who have to feed their families. As long as there are hungry unemployed people in those countries, bots will evolve and survive any and every anti-bot feature that Ankama could devise which will only hurt legitimate players.

Yes, it is bad if you think about it, but I prefer it than getting a mandatory IP banning which will force me go thru Ankama Suffer Support just to prove that I am not a botter. Better to let the criminal go than to jail the innocent.

0 0
Score : 120

To be honest, the moderators of the game does not be sufficient, they just expect our reports to do something about that, but it is exhausting to be taking screenshots, host them on a page and send the report, that's why we don't doing at least the majority, and all players that are using bots take advantage of the situation, Ankama please let us again to attack other characters as before, the bots are regularly low, no one can take advantage of it, im pretty sure together we can end this situation! we need to work together, or not?

0 0
Score : 73

It's so hard to report bots and they're growing and everywhere please make an option to agress players again or option to report a player/bot

0 0
Score : 6693

What do you think about the suggestion of making resource protectors be dopples? And how about that Rage Meter suggestion I mentioned on the previous page?

0 0
Score : 72

0 0
Score : 7681

... wow, there is so much wrong with that, I don't know where to start. So I'll go in order:

(1) It's not impossible to ban bots. It's impossible to ban bots so that they stay gone. Those are two very different things. Bots get banned all the time, and I don't know where you get the impression they don't, considering that the very first post in this topic talks about how many bots get banned a month - and that number is six years old. By now, tens of millions (if not hundreds of millions or even billions) of bots have been banned. Has it slowed them down any? Why do you think banning a few dozen more will suddenly cause them to give up and leave forever? Bots don't get annoyed and can't be driven off by merely inconveniencing them.

(2) Reporting bots has been brought up a bunch of times. It's not a bad idea in and of itself - certainly it'd make it easier to identify individual bots who are off the beaten path - but it wouldn't make bot banning any quicker. The mods themselves say they have areas where they look for bots already, like the mines, so if you went around reporting every minebot, that'd just mean the mods would have to read through dozens if not hundreds of messages before they could start banning the same bots they were going to ban anyway. That wouldn't be faster, that would be much, much slower. And that's before you get into people abusing the system. You don't think people will use it to report people they don't like as bots? (Sure, moderators can check for fraudulent reports, but that would slow them down even more) Worse, you don't think the bots themselves won't learn to use it to report everyone they see and fill the report queue with thousands of posts of nonsense? They will. That's what bots do. Bots adapt to circumstances.

(3) ... you do realize that the game starts at level 1, not at level 200, right? If you make all the resource protectors level 150-200, then more than three-quarters of the players in the entire game (and that's a lowball estimate, since the players aren't evenly distributed through the levels) wouldn't be able to perform any gathering profession without the risk of getting slaughtered over and over. Some players have characters who they only use for extra profession slots, and they'd suddenly be worthless. It'd slow profession-bots, yeah, but it'd stop every profession dead in its tracks, because the gatherers wouldn't be able to gather and the craftsmen would have no raw materials to work with. And the bots would just level in Astrub and Frigost anyway, then go right back to the mines. Bots don't get bored or frustrated.

Making things harder for the bots is good, but not if it hinders everyone else on the entire game. It's sorta like trying to stop pickpocketing by cutting off everyone's hands - sure, nobody can pickpocket anymore, but nobody can do anything else, either.

Edit: And if you've seen some bots so frequently that you've literally memorized their names, why not use Ankabox and actually send the names of those bots to moderators, instead of assuming that moderators have psychic powers and can divine exactly which bot you happen to be looking at at any given moment? If you see a crime in progress, and instead of reporting it, shrug your shoulders and go home, don't then turn around and complain that the criminal got away with the crime. That bot is getting away with what it's doing because the witness - you - shrugged and went home instead of reporting it.

0 0
Score : 72

0 0
Score : 27371

You do understand that our Community Manager, [Izmar], is the only person who has any decision about adding or subtracting moderators and that she probably isn't going to talk about that on a public forum topic? If you have those kinds of concerns, those would be best spoken about with her in private.

In response to your question they add anti-bot software/features/filters all the time, sometimes they work really well and the bots are cut down for months while other times they only stop the bots for a little while, but there are humans on the other side who are working to get around those filters as well. People aren't running those bots for fun, it is generally people in third-world countries like China or India who are doing it to make money to earn a living, so it doesn't matter what you do - they will always come back as long as players buy illegal kamas.

It doesn't matter what kind of feature you add to keep the bots from beating the anti-bot feature, they will inevitably figure a workaround. Anything one person makes can be solved by another.

Finally, if you don't want people to respond to you like that, you shouldn't imply that you watch the bots and do nothing. Players generally scorn people who choose to be part of the problem instead of the solution.

0 0
Score : 6693

Actually, I have made some suggestions for network security improvements which would solve all our non-player issues, but I have my doubts that they will implement them.

Right now, Dofus is really insecure. The most advanced feature, the Ankama Shield service, is pretty much just based upon IP address. There is a LOT of room for improvement when it comes to security, and if Ankama implemented my suggestion, I am absolutely certain that we would never see another bot again. Ever.

Really, I'm telling you, it is totally possible to make this work right, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist brain surgeon to do what I've already suggested with the network security protocol improvements.

Also, I wonder if the Ankama developers know that they do not have to resort to specifying IP addresses to blacklist. In fact, if they were to implement my suggestions for network security, they would be able to remove the Ankama Shield service entirely.

So. Yes. It is totally feasible to prevent all botting and unauthorized traffic to the server. If you want details, I can provide details.

Also, I would like to remind you that Dofus says:

The harvesting professions are best for beginners.

Are the most bot-rife locations in the game really Ankama's "best foot forward" towards its newest potential customers?
0 0
Score : -18

Greetings,

I wish to draw attention to bots ruling dofus (specifically Rosal server).
For any people, gathering professions are all we have to have any sort of income and most of us work extremely hard (gathering / mining day after day to get kamas).
Could Ankama PLEASE issue a moderator in various prime gathering / mining sectors in Dofus so that we can root-out these damn bots! And before anyone says Dofus is working hard to root-out such scum, I don't believe in. Numerous times I see the same bots running various sectors of the mines in Dofus. Most of these bots are easy level 80+ in their respective trades and I find it very unfair that most of us who actually try and make some sort of income and mine / gather each and every day are getting overruled by such bots. I know I am not the only one feeling this way...

Please Ankama, sort out this issue or at least set a moderator to well... MODERATE the problem!
Main concerns is that these bots are completely destroying the market system and more and more people are quitting daily because they are just not able to keep up with bots or reach a certain turnover for the day.

Which bots to look for:

• Mining Bots;
  • Doppling Bots (the new trend is doppling bots. These bots run dopples day after day and are destroying the scrolls market);
  • Farming Bots

What is the bot situation like on your server?
Please feel free to add a comment on how you feel about bots destroying the Dofus market.
0 0

There is a pinned thread about bots.

1. Moderators are doing their best, but they are no match for the rapidly duplicating bots who can work 24 hours. For all we know, these bots already knows the moderator's active hours so they can avoid using their high level bots during those hours.

2. Personally, I think the only way to eradicate these bots is if they do not earn real money. As long as there are players buying their kamas, they will keep operating. So if you want to eradicate bots, tell everyone to stop buying kamas.

0 0
Score : 3896

What is the bot situation on your server? One word: Hell

I gave up becoming a Miner last month just because I was unable to get past level 10 after spending over 3 hours sitting there trying to mine. Which ever mine I entered, there was always a bot or more running around taking up everything. They don't seem to be selective about their ores instead they TAKE EVERYTHING which is even worse and just makes you hopeless.

I switched to becoming a lumberjack instead only because there is less competition involved with bots. Competition between players is acceptable since it is part of the game, competition with bots is not. They are not even players, just automated programs doing repetitive work that humans are too lazy to do themselves.

I differ from you in that I do not really care about the economy as much since my purpose of gathering ores/woods is to facilitate the leveling of my other professions and to craft items that I like for myself. Crafting is an enjoyment for me. It has been at least 2 years now I have relied on the Ogrine System for my main source of Kama income, not that I need a lot of Kamas anyway.

Ankama has not deployed enough moderators to deal with bots. Moderators are generally volunteers and Ankama is cautious when it comes to recruiting moderators as they want to be careful about recruiting the right people over cleaning the mess of a potentially corrupted moderator or the mess of a server caused by bots. It is better to be safe than sorry. Personally I know I qualify every requirement they post for Moderator recruitment that they do once every year or two, but I never applied because I am not confident that I will be accepted. I got plenty of time on my hands and if I ever get recruited I believe I can do a good job at it. I am always willing to sacrifice my time or part of my life for the better of others or a community. Next time they recruit, I have to be brave and remember to apply.

I believe I am loyal too, as I have been secretly sticking around Dofus for almost 10 years even though my account says different and the people I used to know do not know I have always been around, they think I died and quitted.

0 0
Score : 6241

Honestly, I get that there are too many bots for moderators to handle properly. But why not focus on the priority areas? You know, professions for example. There aren't that many bots in the mines to where it would be impossible to slow them down to some extent (at least not here on Zato, where bots are just as much of an issue). The priority are areas where bots are really hurting the player experience. This isn't the case with all activities bots do, but moderators could focus on those priority areas.

0 0